Unnamed

Started by Stormie, September 25, 2010, 06:43:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stormie

Nina closed the door of Clay's house, glad to have that horrible teacher's eyes off of her. She heard the car drive away, and realized she was all alone and could escape. She was about to reopen the door when Clay appeared from his bedroom door.
"Not that easily," he smiled, holding a gun. Seeing Nina look at it in horror, he shook his head reassuringly. "Just checking that it still works, reloading and all. Cant be too careful." The jacket of his suit was thrown over a chair, and she could see a holster at his side. She wondered if he was always armed.
After locking the door and motioning her cordially to sit, he went back to carefully looking over his gun, seemingly cleaning it. Finally he took a small cardboard box from his pocket, shook some bullets out and began loading. Nina turned on the tv, her earlier hopes of escaping soon disolving into tired resoluteness.
A few moments later Nina heard a distinct rustling noise from the kitchen, where the window must have been open. She thought nothing of it until Clays head shot up, and she realized that when you lived outside the law, everything seemed threatening. She considered calling out, in case it was the police, but Clay shot her a look as if he had read her mind. "Whoever it is, they might very well want to kill both of us." He whispered calmly. "Stay right there."
She got up and moved out of the room stealthily, without a sound, but Nina wasn't watching him. Her eyes were fixed on what he had left behind.

Clay peered out of the venetian blinds on his window, then his entire frame relaxed. He opened the door and a huge barrel of fur rushed at him. Bailey, the dog that was a fanged, snarling nightmare to everyone but his owner. After allowing the dog to knock him down and playing with him a moment, he murmured, "How did you get loose?" He manuvered the beast outside, and turned around to stare down the dark barrel of his own gun.
Nina smiled with righteous anger. "You can get out of my way now and let me go through that door."
Clay, for once, did not reply with his condescending smile. "That dog is trained to attack anyone he doesn't know."
"Well hold him for me then. I'm leaving now." Nina couldn't hold back her triumphant smile. All her half-formed plans were unnecessary now. He had handed her the means of escape.
"Cant imagine why I left you alone with my gun," Clay said conversationally but with an edge to his words. "Guess I was starting to trust you."
Nina shrugged.
"You know, I don't think I will let you go, dear."
Nina laughed. "You don't have much of a choice." She cocked the gun as she'd seen on tv, and was amazed when she actually did it right. Her finger tapped the trigger.
Clay shook his head. "You cant kill anyone. You cant even seriously injure anyone, Nina. You're innocent." Anger flashed through her at this bold assumption that he knew her, and also at the fact that he was 100% right.

CaseyT

You've peeked my interest Stormie! I enjoyed your writing style. Thanks for sharing.  :-)

Lillith Kestrel

Such a dramatic edge.  Very interesting writing, and thank you for sharing! :)
Forgotten are the Dreamers
wh
o stood at cliffs-edge;
point
ed fingers to yon horizon,
and
wondered what the unknown
pro
tected from prying eyes
(and m
inds).