What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beorning

Aaaaah! Why are they doing things like this???  :-[

Horrible. Truly horrible.

Lustful Bride

Even in the darkest moments, there are still heroes.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/amid-bloodbath-in-nice-hero-on-motorcycle-emerges/ar-BBuneaI?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

Man on a motorcycle managed to get onto the Truck attacker's truck and forced the vehicle to stop, where the police finally shot the terrorist.

No one knows who this hero is and there are some unconfirmed reports that he went under the wheels and died, while others say he limped away.

(Calling it now, he was the Real Life Ghost Rider, avenging the souls of the innocent)  Jokes aside give that Biker a medal either way. That takes some real uncommon valor to do :)

Izu

ONs and OFFs || M/M Search || Izu's A&A
...Like reflections on the page, the world's what you create...

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Izu on July 15, 2016, 03:44:05 PM
There is an attempt for a military coup in Turkey going on right now.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2016/jul/15/turkey-coup-attempt-military-gunfire-ankara

Have the Coup forces given any indication of what their goal is?

Aside from ousting the current government.

Izu

Getting rid of Erdogan, I believe, and the current government, maintain democracy and human rights, as well as all foreign relationships.

It's not a big surprise, considering the past few years and Erdogan's government...

I'm following the Guardian right now - they have almost non stop updates.

ONs and OFFs || M/M Search || Izu's A&A
...Like reflections on the page, the world's what you create...

Renegade Vile

Quote from: Izu on July 15, 2016, 03:57:04 PM
Getting rid of Erdogan, I believe, and the current government, maintain democracy and human rights, as well as all foreign relationships.

It's not a big surprise, considering the past few years and Erdogan's government...

I'm following the Guardian right now - they have almost non stop updates.

Indeed, for those who can read Dutch: http://www.hln.be/hln/nl/960/Buitenland/article/detail/2797041/2016/07/15/LIVE-Leger-Turkije-verklaart-macht-te-hebben-overgenomen.dhtml

That's what this says essentially. Did not see that coming... yet. Turkey's been a powder keg for a while now, but this is sudden and soon.
<< Unavailable for New Games >>

Norwegian One

Won't say I'm super surprised by this. Erdogan seems to have been trying to gain more and more power the past decade or so, and blocking people from using social media to protest. Then again, a military coup rarely succeeds, especially in a democratic country, so should be interesting to see how this plays out.
Ons and Offs - Picture plots - Cravings - Activity and general chat - Bookmark for activity log and updates on my posting speed
Currently not available for new RPs, random PMs still encouraged! Also, feel free to check out my threads. Feedback is always welcome! - Current response time:  Within 1 week.

Yukina

Quote from: Lustful Bride on July 15, 2016, 02:58:59 PM
(Calling it now, he was the Real Life Ghost Rider, avenging the souls of the innocent)

Or Real Life Kamen Rider. :)

Lustful Bride

Nasa intentionally destroying the Juno probe on the possibility of alien existence.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/video/wonder/nasa-will-intentionally-destroy-a-dollar1-billion-spacecraft-in-case-aliens-exist/vi-BBud8md?ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

More than a little disconcerting.

But im for it for multiple reasons.

1: If there are aliens I don't want them hearing the probe and following it home.

2: Don't want to make a bad first contact by getting any friendly aliens sick with our Earth Germs.

Oniya

Keep in mind that any data it collects will be/have been sent back to NASA.  They're just destroying the hardware.  Technically, the Voyager probes (which contain information intended to communicate with alien intelligence) are 'destroyed' - we're never getting them back - but the data that they transmit will eventually reach us.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

TheGlyphstone

That, and the 'aliens' in question aren't the green men in saucers kind, as far as I know. What they're doing is intentionally crashing Juno into Jupiter, to avoid any possibility that it might accidentally crash into Europa, where there is liquid water and we believe a possibility of life. We're talking microscopic/single-celled 'aliens' that our Earth germs might inadvertently contaminate the environment of before we can get there and study them.

Lilias

To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

TaintedAndDelish

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on July 16, 2016, 02:34:34 PM

That, and the 'aliens' in question aren't the green men in saucers kind, as far as I know. What they're doing is intentionally crashing Juno into Jupiter, to avoid any possibility that it might accidentally crash into Europa, where there is liquid water and we believe a possibility of life. We're talking microscopic/single-celled 'aliens' that our Earth germs might inadvertently contaminate the environment of before we can get there and study them.

And in this particular case, "WE" are the aliens invading another planet.

Is it too far of a stretch to think that if we did discover life on another planet, that we might abduct a few random specimens, examine them, probe their holes, and then either kill them or put them back into their habitat ? If we intended to return such specimens to their habitat, it would be helpful if we could somehow induce amnesia so they don't go contaminating their habitat with news of tall, mostly hairless  people from the stars. That sort of information could taint their culture for thousands of years.

Mithlomwen

Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

consortium11

Axe attack on a train in Germany.

Reports are saying 20 injured but from what I understand most of those are suffering from shock as opposed to direct physical injury; unreliable but seemingly more up to date stories point it as four people suffering from serious injuries.

Sain

Some local (Finnish) news site also quoted Bilde.de (can't read German to confirm). Apparently the young axe man was reported to have had a religious motive. This is just getting out of hand...
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

Oniya

Quote from: Sain on July 18, 2016, 05:48:09 PM
Some local (Finnish) news site also quoted Bilde.de (can't read German to confirm). Apparently the young axe man was reported to have had a religious motive. This is just getting out of hand...

If you could link to the Bilde.de article, I could have a go at it.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: consortium11 on July 18, 2016, 04:52:18 PM
Axe attack on a train in Germany.

Reports are saying 20 injured but from what I understand most of those are suffering from shock as opposed to direct physical injury; unreliable but seemingly more up to date stories point it as four people suffering from serious injuries.
What all German media I have checked this morning report are 4 seriously injured, one light injury, 14 people suffering from shock, 1 dead attacker, for a total of 20.

As for a possible islamistic background, here's the relevant part of the Bild article:

QuoteDer Täter attackierte die Passagiere mit einer Axt und einem Messer. Ein Sprecher des bayerischen Innenministeriums sagte, er schrie während der Tat „Allahu Akbar” (Gott ist groß).

„Es gibt schon Zeugenaussagen, die auf einen islamistischen Hintergrund deuten könnten. Das ist aber noch keineswegs erwiesen”, sagte der bayerische Innenminister Joachim Herrmann (CSU) im ZDF. Die Ermittler prüfen einen islamistischen Hintergrund
In short: Witnesses (Tagesschau only mentions one witness making that claim) claim the attacker shouted "allahu akbar" during the attack, but there is no proof yet of an islamistic terrorist motive. Police are still investigating.

According to public broadcaster ARD the four seriously injured victims are all from Hong Kong. If that means anything concerning the attacker's motive or if it was just coincidence I have no idea.

EDIT: Just now (TV interview, 9am German time) the Bavarian minster of the interior (i.e. the minister in charge of Bavaria's police) stated that a hand-painted ISIS flag has been found in the home of the attacker, but he also cautioned that it was too early to speak of a terrorist attack, as it is still unclear if the attacker had radical islamistic motives, thought of himself as a jihadist or terrorist, or had perhaps quite different motives.
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

Sain

Quote from: Oniya on July 18, 2016, 06:06:59 PM
If you could link to the Bilde.de article, I could have a go at it.

http://www.bild.de/wa/ll/bild-de/unangemeldet-42925516.bild.html Just in case you wanted to still give it a read.
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

Avis habilis

Lustful Bride

Lustful Bride

IS digging in as Iraqi army and coalition forces push in to retake Mosul.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/islamic-state-braces-for-imminent-iraqi-siege-to-retake-mosul/ar-BBuvR5Q?li=BBnbcA1&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

It seems they have initiated the same slash and burn tactics as Saddam Hussein. They are setting some oil wells on fire as Coalition forces move in.

gaggedLouise

Only just found out that Boris Johnson has been given the portfolio of Foreign Secretary (and went to the 14 July state reception in Paris). Yikes!  ::)

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Lilias

Quote from: gaggedLouise on July 20, 2016, 06:49:24 AM
Only just found out that Boris Johnson has been given the portfolio of Foreign Secretary (and went to the 14 July state reception in Paris). Yikes!  ::)

I felt some glee when I heard that. So he doesn't get to escape the mess he made.

OT: A tale of two brothers.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/brother-of-belgian-terrorist-heading-for-the-olympics-a-1103743.html
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI