SSD? (Gaming, and general computing)

Started by Mymar, June 14, 2015, 04:54:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mymar

Are all SSD's created equal? Or are some better than others? I really like the SSD 1TB EVO, it keeps popping up as a pretty good drive. This will be my main board, and I will harvest the two from this computer (if I can...) and use those as second and third drives.  I've looked at quite a few sites, and that one as I said just keeps popping up.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LF10KTE/?tag=pcpapi-20

sleepingferret

Computer hardware created equal?  Hasn't been like that since computers were the size of an entire room.

Computer hardware shopping is like shopping for a car these days.  You have to compare specs, prices, and even manufacturer reputations at times (And of course, sometimes you just have to throw in your own personal bias about which make and models you like).

For computer builds though, you'll really only need 1 SSD; unless you plan on doing any RAID configs.  A standard SATA drive for data storage (and a bit of cost savings) should suffice for most people's needs, and still right now, you can get more storage capacity for less money.  So you can store all your music, documents, pictures, movies, etc.

Vekseid

I have never used a RAID I did not end up regretting.

That said, the Samsung EVO and PRO series have pretty good reviews. Elliquiy and BMR runs on a pair of 840 PROs, my personal machine has an 850 PRO.

You need to be doing some pretty significant work to actually see the difference between the EVO and PRO lines.

There are some pretty bad SSD makers out there, though, as a forewarning.

Mymar

They did not have a bunch of things the last time I looked into computers.  Thank you for the advice... I meant to say but was dead tired at the time that those 2nd and 3rd hard drives are going to be HDD, not SSD.