What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geeklet

Well, yes, its still useful today, however, it seems to me that on some games these days, you can get by without doing it as much.

Hemingway

Yeah, see, that's the thing. Games nowadays are more forgiving, including more frequent autosaves. And also by not giving enemies a ridiculous number of spells and attacks that mean more or less instant defeat, but ... at this point I'm repeating myself. My point is just that ... games weren't better way back in the day. I know people complain about things like Dragon Age, because there aren't as many dialog options and all this, but ... ugh, I'd rather just have fun, you know? Instead of having to load because some enemy charmed my main character and he murdered the entire party, or I carelessly stepped into a trap that instantly petrified my main character, or ... well, you get the idea.

Inkidu

Quote from: Geeklet on April 24, 2011, 12:37:28 PM
Sounds like vampires. Mace of Disruption and spells like Sunray work wonders. Negative Plane Protections helps vs level drain. Prot. from Undead scrolls help too.

Really, its all about preparation. If you know what you are going to fight, you can better attune your spells/equipment to fight against it.
Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of having an adventure? Being prepared for everything I mean, now there are some things you don't leave town without.

1. Your gear: sword, axe, staff, spells.
2. Some healing and magic potions.
3. A quest from your friendly, local tavern.

But being prepared for the level eighty-gazillion vampire/werewolf/bugbear/Hydra mage a half mile ahead seems a bit meta game-y to me, and all good games require as little meta-gaming as possible. It's like the video game version of writing in the active voice.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Geeklet

If you've died to it several times and you know it still lies ahead, would you keep doing suicide runs or would you change things up in an effort to overcome the obstacle? if thats considered metagaming, then so be it. Personally I like a little bit of a challenge.

Inkidu

Quote from: Geeklet on April 24, 2011, 05:01:59 PM
If you've died to it several times and you know it still lies ahead, would you keep doing suicide runs or would you change things up in an effort to overcome the obstacle? if thats considered metagaming, then so be it. Personally I like a little bit of a challenge.
Well, obviously, but by then the whole immersion thing is moot. You made it sound like you just prepared for everything right out of the gate.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Hemingway

Yeah, see that's sort of the problem. If you don't know what's ahead, your chances of survival are slim. Your chances of avoiding frustration are nonexistant. If there's some sort of clue and you fail to prepare, that's one thing. If you fail to prepare because there was no way you could know what was waiting for you, then it's just bad design.

Geeklet

Well, in Baldur's Gate II, I don't think I ever ran into anything that either A: I wasn't prepared to face or B: Couldn't run out of the dungeon after the first couple encounters to better prepare myself.

Oniya

By rights there should be some exposition from the NPCs to give you an idea of what the local uber-monster is.  Like, if you walk into the dungeon and in the first room you hit a load of ice critters, you know to make your way back to the nearest town and get fire magic.  Of course, if you go into that town first, and the 'new spell du jour' is 'Fireball', that could be a hint.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Wolfy

Ya know, I never do that with RPG's...

I always just plow through, no matter what preparation was needed. xD

Aye, I think I've been what's keeping the potion business so strong. :D

Neysha

Defense Grid: The Awakening on PC.

I played through it before, and this is my second playthrough so I can get Steam achievements for some nebulous reasons that were poorly explained to me.
My Request Thread
Ons & Offs/Role-Plays Current and Past
FemDex: Index of Fictional Women
F-List Profiles: Constance Carrington, Damashi, SCP6969
Prepare For The Next Eight Years
Find me on Discord at: mnblend6567
Credit for Avatar goes to "LoveandSqualor" on Deviant Art. (and Hayley Williams)

Oniya

Quote from: Wolfy on April 24, 2011, 06:34:31 PM
Aye, I think I've been what's keeping the potion business so strong. :D

This.  I have been abusing the potion system in Arcuz so badly.  Go into town.  Buy up the entire potion supply.  Combine it until you have the most compact number of large [essentially Elixirs] that you can manage (limited 'backpack' system).  Leave town.  Get in fights until you miss hitting the 'potion' button in time.  Revive in town.  Repeat.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Hemingway

Quote from: Geeklet on April 24, 2011, 06:04:56 PM
Well, in Baldur's Gate II, I don't think I ever ran into anything that either A: I wasn't prepared to face or B: Couldn't run out of the dungeon after the first couple encounters to better prepare myself.

I guess if you consider running away a valid option, then no. I would call that highly frustrating, however, having to leave and come back later. I had to do that during the Firkraag quest where you're tricked into killing humans, though, and ... it was frustrating.

The worst is still mages. Like I said, I don't know how often I've been in a situation where the only reason I manage is I get lucky after trying several times, even if I go in crazy prepared. As I usually do. And this is on the easiest difficulty setting. I'm playing it on the easiest setting, and I still end up in more profanity-inducing situations than you can shake a stick at. I'd hate to think of what it'd be like on normal. I'm just thankful BG2 doesn't seem to cut the amount of XP you gain in half when reducing the difficulty.

dready

Went easter egg hunting, found three eggs.

In chamber 10 where there's a turret behind a grate near the entrance (hard to miss since it almost always shoots you once when you pass by) if you smack the turret with a lazer (you need to put a pair of portals up, one on the floor under the lazer and the second that's near the passway, then use the redirection cube) it'll explode and open up a crouch-able section. It then leads you to four singing turrets, and a ratman hideout/nest. The song doesn't start till you open up the secret area though.

In one of the earlier chambers, where light platforms are introduced, you can get up to an office area. That leads to stairs, then a section that has a vent fan. Shoot past that part and you can find yourself in a desloated hallway. You can get back to the testing chamber by shooting a portal through the broken doors and glass, then one on the wall. Unfortunately, GLaDOS shuts out that area before you can figure out how to escape through that section. I tried using the light portals, didn't work so well.

The third easter egg... oh! I found the radio that has the Exile Vilify broadcast on it. Don't remember how I found it.

Wolfy

Hemingway

QuoteLess trustworthy industry sources have even indicated that the system's rumored codename, "Project Cafe," hints at its ability to shoot a cappuccino directly into your gaping mouth.

I would ... get a Wii for that.

Wolfy

Do you smell it?

The next console generation is on it's way.

Wolfy

Inkidu

Quote from: Wolfy on April 25, 2011, 02:10:13 PM
Do you smell it?

The next console generation is on it's way.
I... actually doubt it. Nintendo might want to release a PS3/360-machine in terms of graphical power, but the 360 and PS3 already have that, and I doubt the graphics for the "cafe" will be vastly superior. I'm going to predict that we have one, maybe two more generations of console before graphical fidelity is no longer cost effective. So maybe Nintendo being the "old man" of the gaming industry wants to play catch-up but I doubt the cafe is going to spark a whole new console generation for all the major players.

I for one can't wait when graphics finally plateau. That means developers of hardware and software will have to find ways to work with what they have. Instead of graphics being the end goal now we'll see innovation and newness.

dready

Bulletstorm: I rented it, and I'm going to be playing it with an xbox live chat party as sort of a commentary let's play. Now, if maybe i can get some people to join the party, could have a simultaneous group going through the story/single player and having our own comments and on the spot collaborations.

It is currently 5 minutes to 9 pm where i reside (central time) and I will be starting this ordeal at 9:30 tonight, my time.

EDIT: My Xbox Live handle is cornerbeverage

EDIT: owob

Oniya

*facepalm*

I almost Googled to find out what owob stood for.

Geeklet

Hemingway

It looks ... sort of like a face giving thumbs up ... If you squint and look at it from the right angle, with enough imagination...

Oniya

Quote from: Hemingway on April 26, 2011, 01:04:01 PM
It looks ... sort of like a face giving thumbs up ... If you squint and look at it from the right angle, with enough imagination...

Yes - with the little fangy-face teeth.

Inkidu

I love the new Mortal Kombat, love it like a hot chick who snores. Seriously though, with A.I. programing like that no wonder Midway went under. It wasn't that the previous Mortal Kombat games were just sloppy or overly-complex or whatever. They haven't done a new A.I. since 94.

dready

Quote from: Geeklet on April 26, 2011, 12:56:18 PM
I googled it and I'm still unsure.

it's the :3 face rotated 90° clockwise and performing a thumbs up.