News:

Main Menu

Best non-anime cartoon

Started by Armand, October 06, 2012, 06:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oneiros

Quote from: Arohk on October 06, 2012, 11:47:19 PM
Freakazoid was awesome! I almost put it on that list, but as you just said- it didn't age well. Although I am sure most of us can laugh at the jokes because we remember it so well. But newcomers wouldn't find it as funny, haha.

Exactly, haha. Freakazoid was all about the random pop-culture stuff (and hilarious inaccuracies when it came to portraying computers and the internet), so anyone who didn't grow up in the 90s really doesn't get why it's funny. Tiny Toons had a bit of the same problem, but it wasn't nearly as prevalent there as it was in Freakazoid.

There are two Adult Swim shows that I absolutely love: Venture Bros, and Metalocalypse. Both have engaging stories, a lot of action, fun and interesting characters, and surprise you with random bits of hilarity. Brock and Hunter Gathers playing the cow-counting game while on their way to an important mission on Venture Bros?

"Aha, cemetery, you lose all your cows!"

I also loved Dexter's lab when I was younger, but it's one of the shows that got worse the longer it went on (like Johnny Bravo).

Lilias

I still love Disney's Fables collection. They came out on DVD in Greece recently, and my mum perceptively got them for the Spawn (saving me hunting them down on YouTube).

Also (list time!):

- Daria
- Tiny Toons
- Smurfs
- Bolek & Lolek
- Woody Woodpecker
- Pink Panther
- Lilo & Stitch
- Kim Possible
- Phineas & Ferb
- Small Potatoes

Yes, we watch a lot of CBeebies and Disney Channel in this house. >_>
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Arohk

Glad someone other than myself mentioned Daria! :D

Also, not to fend for the deepness of Spongebob, but there's a lot more to it than just a 'moron'. I don't think that Spongebob is a moron. I think people see him that way because he had a lust for life. He's the most positive cartoon character (in attitude) ever, and I think some people don't like that.

I personally enjoy his innocence and over the top optimism.

TentacleFan

While my tastes generally run far more towards anime I do have a few cartoons not from Japan that I do enjoy.

Batman : The Animated Series - Haven't met too many who don't like this one really. It has some stinker episodes (The one where Bruce gets amnesia was particularly atrocious.) But it also has some episodes that are among my favorite of all time. In particular the one where the villains are gathered around a table each telling their how they got Batman but he got away stories. It also gave us Harley as a character. And made characters like Mr Freeze interesting in a way they never had been before.

Justice League - My favorite DC Animated series after Batman : TAS. A great team show both when it focused on the Big 7 and after when it went big time.

Teen Titans - Loved this show. I know it got Five seasons (And a movie) but I really wish it had gone on even longer. The versions of the characters from this show are the versions I default to now.

Avengers : Earth's Mightiest Heroes - I haven't seen the second season yet but the first was my favorite Marvel Comics based show I've seen. Great mix of action and character with an epic story running through the season.

Futurama - For me the Simpsons rarely entertained. I watched a few of the earlier seasons but never really cared for it. So much so I didn't give Futurama a chance when it first came on. Catching a few episodes on the Cartoon Network Repeats I eventually bought up all the seasons. What makes it work for me is the nerdy science humor and the way it plays with or turns on their head numerous sci-fi tropes.

X-Men Evolution - I don't think it's the greatest show ever but I really enjoyed the put everyone in a high school setting thing. It's a real shame the show ended when it was ramping up to obviously tell more of a story and that cliffhanger ending kind of ruins rewatching it somewhat.

I consider cartoons as hand drawn or at least ones that look like they're hand drawn so I'm not going into 3D-animated works here. Even though there are some of those I enjoy as well.
I'm going to take my time. I have all the time in the world. To make you mine. It is written in the stars above.

Something's wrong when you regret, things that haven't happened yet. - The Submarines - 1940

See my O's/O's / Open Roleplays Requests / List of Current RPs / A&A's / Image Thread
Puerto de Oro: World of Interracial Fantasy
A&A's Updated : 02/10/2014

NotoriusBEN

Nobody mentioned the "Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy". I'll admit that Billy is... Billy. But there were some absolute gems in this series and they completely riffed on other popular fiction like Cthulu, the Thing, and Harry Potter. I just like how a lot of horrible dire situations they get in are distracted by Billy long enough for Mandy to assume full control.

Just a few of my favorite episodes:
Brown Evil Part 1 and 2
Skarred for Life
Here Thar Be Dwarves!
A Kick in the Asgard
Wishbones (my favorite with a Donnie Darko reference)
Prank Call of Cthulu
Billy and Mandy Save Christmas

As for other cartoons I like... man there are a bunch of them and in no particular order.
Batman: The Animated Series
The Batman
Justice League Big 7 and More
Young Justice
Static Shock
Teen Titans
Futurama
Metalocalypse
American Dad
Family Guy
All the Ben 10s
Samurai Jack
Simbionic Titan

The list goes on...

Moraline

Looney Tunes from 1930 up.

This is the only cartoon series that I can say with 100% certainty that I have watched over and over and over since I was a child.

Every other cartoon show and even regular shows for that matter pale in comparison.

This show had it all. You could have whole university degrees based on studying this series. It's comedy, history, culture, and everything all in one.

That's All Folks!

Chris Brady

Quote from: Silverfyre on October 07, 2012, 09:07:55 AM
I am perplexed why it is a bad thing I like cartoons that are comedic in nature, even if they are just glorified fart jokes. Some of them were incredibly well done and rather hilarious. Not everything has to be some serious, meaningful thing; sometimes, it's nice just to laugh.

So yeah, to each their own I suppose.

There's nothing wrong with comedy.  There's everything wrong in how it's done nowadays, with the constant lowering the bar to get everyone, especially the lowest common denominator.  But this is what the networks do.  And it has nothing to do with the shows, and everything to do with the Internet, and their attempt to keep their customers on cable rather than their computers.

But that's a completely different topic all together.

Quote from: Arohk on October 07, 2012, 10:55:21 AM
Glad someone other than myself mentioned Daria! :D

Also, not to fend for the deepness of Spongebob, but there's a lot more to it than just a 'moron'. I don't think that Spongebob is a moron. I think people see him that way because he had a lust for life. He's the most positive cartoon character (in attitude) ever, and I think some people don't like that.

I personally enjoy his innocence and over the top optimism.

There's over the top optimism, then there's blatant marketing to a belief that the average TV watcher, especially under 15, has the literal attention span of a gold fish.  Nickelodeon markets to the latter with Spongbob.  Not to mention actively tries to squelch any other cartoon that might end up more popular than their 'flagship' (which Spongebob is.)

There's a reason everyone who liked Avatar: The Last Airbender was afraid it wouldn't have a 3rd season.

However, because of the incredible success of Spongebob's catering to the 'ADD' crowd, other networks immediately assume that their young audience is that easily distracted and try to make their stuff the same.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Beguile's Mistress

Oniya

I like cartoons that have a story line that goes from episode to episode.  I've liked the new Transformers (liked the old ones, too), the new G.I. Joe (ditto), and one that cropped up on the Kids WB without much fanfare called Huntik.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Gadifriald

So many great non-anime cartoons I don't think I could ever pick just one! But for a not complete list of top contenders I'd have to say in no particular order...

Looney Tunes
Duck Tales
Flintstones
Classic Disney cartoons
Tale Spin
Simpsons
Futurama
Venture Brothers
Chip n' Dale Rescue Rangers
Archer
Smurfs
The original Scooby Dook Where Are You!
The various Peanuts/Charlie Brown and Snoopy specials and cartoons

Honestly the list keeps going and going and going like that Energizer Bunny that doesn't make the list!
;D
I am a mighty ravisher of captive damsels and princesses!

Silverfyre

Quote from: Chris Brady on October 07, 2012, 02:33:52 PM
There's nothing wrong with comedy.  There's everything wrong in how it's done nowadays, with the constant lowering the bar to get everyone, especially the lowest common denominator.  But this is what the networks do.  And it has nothing to do with the shows, and everything to do with the Internet, and their attempt to keep their customers on cable rather than their computers.

I find comedy comes in all veins as it's purpose is to entertain and make people laugh.  I get that there are some forms of comedy (i.e. Daniel Tosh's bullshit rape humor) just isn't funny at all but most of it, even if it is completely ridiculous and nothing more than bodily function humor, still makes people take a break from their lives and laugh a bit.  I could care less if some people find more humor in fart jokes over something "high brow".  They are laughing and getting a bright spot in their days. That's the important part.  I hardly see it as the end of programming or some network conspiracy.   ::)

Armand

Armand

Well let me get my list out.

1.SPongebob
2.Chowder
3.Billy and Mandy
4.Super Milk Chan ^_^!!!!!!!!
5.Gargoyles yes.
6.Adventure Time
7.Regular Show
8.Teen Titans
9.AAAAAH! Real Monsters
10.Rockos modern life.
my all time favorite after careful consideration.

*INVADER ZIM*

-Sings doom song-

Gadifriald

I totally spaced and left two total classics off my list!
Duckman and Duck Dodgers!
OH THE GLORIES OF CARTOON DUCKS!!!!! ;D
I am a mighty ravisher of captive damsels and princesses!

Moraline

Oh, I just remembered a couple more. I love the really retro stuff.

(the original versions)

The Rocky & Bullwinkle Show

Woody Woodpecker

Mobius

OK I am a huge sucker for cartoons... still watch the ones I grew up with to this day, with the occasional new one that comes out that catches my interest. Although the cartoons don't seem to be the same as they use to be! Anywho here is my list of favorites in no particular order:

Inspector Gadget (The first season.... the second season was crap)
Ducktales (again up to the last season with Bubba and Gizmoduck, ugh)
Talespin
Rescue Rangers
Darkwing Duck
Sonic the Hedgehog (AOSTH and SATAM)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (from the 80s version up to the most recent)
Tiny Toon Adventures
Animaniacs
Batman: The Animated Series
The Adventures of TinTin
David and the Gnomes
Scooby Doo (the original 69-70 run and even Mystery Incorporated version)
Classic Disney and WB cartoon shorts, of course
Daria
Beavis and Butthead
Simpsons (the first several seasons were the best)
Doug (again first seasons were good)

Also does Space Ghost count since it is animated.... with real people in it?

“In your life, you meet people. Some you never think about again. Some, you wonder what happened to them. There are some that you wonder if they ever think about you. And then there are some you wish you never had to think about again. But you do.” - Unknown

On's and Off's!

Currently NOT taking on new roleplays!

Arohk

Also awesome to see someone else agree with Sonic SATAM. :D

Of course Spongebob is marketing. I don't think that makes it bad. MLP markets too. There's a long list of heavily marketed shows. Transformers, TMNT, but again. Doesn't make them bad. I also think Spongebob has a lot of intelligent jokes. I definitely think that it's aimed towards certain tastes, but I certainly wouldn't push it into 'goldfish' category. :P

Also, happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Saerrael

Quote from: rick957 on October 07, 2012, 02:38:29 AM
Hi Saerra, I've seen a few of your posts in other threads and enjoyed reading them very very much.  I'm 37 (recent birthday), but I chose not to announce that fact in my profile for personal reasons, which I could gladly explain, but I don't want to do that here because I assume nobody reading this thread wants that info. 

Did I really come across as negative towards others in this thread?  If so, I apologize.  Frankly, I made a deliberate effort not to come across that way, because I knew that my views were not likely to be in line with the majority here.  Nonetheless I may have failed in my effort, and if so, I am sorry.  Also I am glad that you brought this fact to my attention, Saerra; it will make me give the whole matter some serious thought.  It's very important to me to express myself clearly and not give others impressions that I did not mean to give; and yet, I often do just that.  I endeavor to learn from such mistakes so that I won't repeat them.

Most of you like cartoons that I don't like, and most of the cartoons I like haven't been mentioned here yet.  I don't view that as a serious problem -- not by a very long stretch.  In fact, I'm glad that cartoons are so fun and so trivial that we don't need to necessarily love or hate the same ones.  Hell, it's fine with me if you hate all cartoons, for some reason; or, conversely, if you love them all, for whatever reason.

Being slightly older than the average Elliquian, I expect that my tastes in most pop culture stuff will differ from the tastes of the majority of Elliquians, and that's okay with me.  To each his own; it takes all kinds; etc. etc. etc. 

Each and every one of you who are younger than me will have the pleasure of feeling alienated and abandoned by mainstream pop culture as soon as you reach your thirties, either early or mid or late.  Pop culture is a giant juggernaut that fills the mental space of all people under a certain age, until they get too old, and then they have to adjust to being outside of that mental space, but that's okay too.  All IMO.  Sorry for anybody bothered by my opinions.

You did come across as negative, indeed. No hard feelings, though. It is also good to see you're intending to come across clearer. Good luck on that, by the way, that is a mission I am on, too.

And I will turn 34 this year, so I am not that much younger than you are. I also know there are people on Elli that are older than I am. And younger, of course. I tend to not assume, nor project, or at least try my hardest to not do so.

Anyway!
[/thread hijack]

Though I now can't help but wonder what the average age of Elliquiyans would be. I wonder if Veks would know that...

Silverfyre

You know, I seen those numbers somewhere before I think.  Damned if I remember where... Poke him; I'm sure he'd be happy to share.

ReijiTabibito

I find it shocking that no one's mentioned the Marvel shows of the mid-90s.  Well, at least a couple of them.  The original Spider-Man (1994 to 1998) and the X-Men series were great, and I've even liked the newer incarnations of Spider-Man, IE Spectacular Spider-Man.

Hell, the Spider-Man series has always managed to pull in some big-name actors. See below.

In the 1994 series.
Ed Asner: JJJ
Jennifer Hale: Black Cat
Hank Azaria: Venom
Mark Hamill: Hobgoblin (Macendale's Hobby)
Jim Cummings: Shocker
Martin Landau: Scorpion (early seasons)
Rob Paulsen: Hydro-Man
and Efreem Zimbalist Jr as Doc Ock - and he was also Alfred in Batman TAS!

In Spectacular Spider-Man
Ed Asner: Uncle Ben!
Keith David: Tombstone (for a couple of times)
Clancy Brown - George Stacy (this is the Kurgan!)
John DiMaggio - Hammerhead & Sandman
Robert Englund - Vulture
Crispin Freeman - Electro
Peter MacNicol - Doc Ock

In Ultimate Spider-Man
JK Simmons - He wants PICTURES!  PICTURES OF SPIDER-MAN!
Chi McBride - Nick Fury
Clancy Brown - Taskmaster
Mark Hamill - Shao Lao/Nightmare
Adrian Pasdar - Iron Man
Phil LaMarr - JARVIS

And BTW, love that they put Iron Fist into Ultimate.

Most of the above, you can tell the average person at least one role they've played and get a reaction of "Oh, yeah!" from them.

Mobius

Quote from: Arohk on October 07, 2012, 07:44:36 PM
Also awesome to see someone else agree with Sonic SATAM. :D

OMG another Sonic SATAM fan? Sweeeeeet. Hard to find fans of the show, especially because Sally has become such a polarizing character over time.

“In your life, you meet people. Some you never think about again. Some, you wonder what happened to them. There are some that you wonder if they ever think about you. And then there are some you wish you never had to think about again. But you do.” - Unknown

On's and Off's!

Currently NOT taking on new roleplays!

Saerrael

Quote from: Silverfyre on October 07, 2012, 08:01:08 PM
You know, I seen those numbers somewhere before I think.  Damned if I remember where... Poke him; I'm sure he'd be happy to share.

Now that you mention it, I do recall something like that, too, and that it was somewhere around 29 or something (at that time). But I am not certain.

Arohk

Are you kidding? SatAM is amazing! Even watching it as an adult it makes me happy. Of course some of the jokes are outdated, but the darker undertones always was great. I remember watching it when it came out and was SO sad when they canceled it!

I've always been a fan! :D

Chris Brady

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on October 07, 2012, 08:02:09 PM
I find it shocking that no one's mentioned the Marvel shows of the mid-90s.  Well, at least a couple of them.  The original Spider-Man (1994 to 1998) and the X-Men series were great, and I've even liked the newer incarnations of Spider-Man, IE Spectacular Spider-Man.

Hell, the Spider-Man series has always managed to pull in some big-name actors. See below.

In the 1994 series.
Ed Asner: JJJ
Jennifer Hale: Black Cat
Hank Azaria: Venom
Mark Hamill: Hobgoblin (Macendale's Hobby)
Jim Cummings: Shocker
Martin Landau: Scorpion (early seasons)
Rob Paulsen: Hydro-Man
and Efreem Zimbalist Jr as Doc Ock - and he was also Alfred in Batman TAS!

In Spectacular Spider-Man
Ed Asner: Uncle Ben!
Keith David: Tombstone (for a couple of times)
Clancy Brown - George Stacy (this is the Kurgan!)
John DiMaggio - Hammerhead & Sandman
Robert Englund - Vulture
Crispin Freeman - Electro
Peter MacNicol - Doc Ock

In Ultimate Spider-Man
JK Simmons - He wants PICTURES!  PICTURES OF SPIDER-MAN!
Chi McBride - Nick Fury
Clancy Brown - Taskmaster
Mark Hamill - Shao Lao/Nightmare
Adrian Pasdar - Iron Man
Phil LaMarr - JARVIS

And BTW, love that they put Iron Fist into Ultimate.

Most of the above, you can tell the average person at least one role they've played and get a reaction of "Oh, yeah!" from them.

No one mentions them because the quality of the DC cartoons often overshown the Marvel ones.  And let's face it, with Warner Bros. Studio's in house animation team, a LOT (not ALL, but a good chunk) of the Marvel cartoons just didn't have the kick they needed to stay afloat.

Technically, still don't, sadly.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

TentacleFan

Quote from: Chris Brady on October 07, 2012, 08:37:49 PM
No one mentions them because the quality of the DC cartoons often overshown the Marvel ones.  And let's face it, with Warner Bros. Studio's in house animation team, a LOT (not ALL, but a good chunk) of the Marvel cartoons just didn't have the kick they needed to stay afloat.

Technically, still don't, sadly.

I feel the Spider-Man cartoons were often overshadowed by the Timm-verse animations of the time but not that they weren't deserving of attention themselves. I haven't really been as big a fan of the DC animation since they got away from the Bruce Timm designed work myself. (Not counting the Teen Titans, I did enjoy that show) I also feel that the Avengers : Earth's Mightiest Heroes holds up with any of those shows as far as quality and storytelling myself.
I'm going to take my time. I have all the time in the world. To make you mine. It is written in the stars above.

Something's wrong when you regret, things that haven't happened yet. - The Submarines - 1940

See my O's/O's / Open Roleplays Requests / List of Current RPs / A&A's / Image Thread
Puerto de Oro: World of Interracial Fantasy
A&A's Updated : 02/10/2014