News:

Main Menu

Elliquiy is...

Started by Vekseid, July 27, 2009, 11:49:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vekseid

Recently, I have been hearing some talk about "Elliquiy's literary standards are declining."

When Elliquiy was first founded, there certainly was some thought given to the literary standards we would hold people to here. The most common at the time were post length minimums, usually five lines, a hundred words, or something to the effect.

The issue we had with that is twofold. First, writing partners sometimes prefer shorter interactions, in part because they want to have more opportunities to react to events, and writing a novella each post comes close - for them - to having the other person control their character, due to the lack of a reply. Second, literary climaxes, like certain others, are more powerful for their pithiness. Additional detail is not always a good thing, there is occasionally something to be said for allowing a viewer to capture the entirety of a moment.

And savor it.

Another option was to require a clear and crisp command of the English language. Ignoring, for a moment, non-native speakers and dyslexia, Elliquiy is first and foremost about role playing. That writing is the medium it is carried over is secondary to that point.

My goal for Elliquiy is to perfect the software's ability to 1) Allow members to find new and exciting writing partners, and 2) Allow them to participate in those stories as cleanly and efficiently as possible. That goal is a long way off, but the components of that - including assisting with spelling and grammar - are just that. Components. I will agree that thorough writing, good grammar, and good spelling are fine tools. However...

Elliquiy is assisted by its literary talent. It does not define it.

I generally find that the most important aspect of a roleplaying community - or even any writing community - is that it should be a haven for creativity. You should be exposed to ideas unlike yours. Opinions unlike yours. Thoughts, words, art. Even if, occasionally, you do not like it, forcing everyone to adhere to a certain set of standards limits that. Limits the scope of ideas we see, whether it was intentional on the part of the speaker or not.

Something I learned before I set up Elliquiy was that most people are more creative than they give themselves credit for. It is a part of human ingenuity, quite literally a genetic feature that a very significant portion of the population possesses. As with learning, relations with the opposite (or same) sex, and so much in life, the greatest barrier to self achievement is realizing that you are capable, and admit it of yourself.

Elliquiy is a shrine dedicated - in part - to tearing down those barriers we set for ourselves. About sex, about creativity, about our own capabilities in general.

People learn. "I feel that Elliquiy's literary standards are declining when it comes to accepting new memberships."

Except in the worst cases, we tend to look kindly on that - and often have - because the result of a less experienced writer joining Elliquiy takes one of four paths.

They become intimidated, and leave.

They take time to learn, growing in ability as writers.

They find their own way, harming none, but still adding to the community socially.

They sit back, lurk, and read.

In no case have I seen a poor writer 'damage' Elliquiy for their lack of skill. I do not consider the above situations - save the first - to be a bad thing.

I like the openness here. I like the acceptance. Despite its size, it is the single element that I am most proud of here.

Elliquiy is a role playing community. It is a place where you can find like-minded friends, no matter your race, creed, or experience. It is a celebration of the creative spirit.

To quote Thomas Jefferson, he who lights his candle at mine receives light without darkening me.

Elliquiy is a place for lighting candles.

Thank you.

Mnemaxa

This is a work of beauty, Vekseid.  thank you.

The Well of my Dreams is Poisoned; I draw off the Poison, which becomes the Ink of my Authorship, the Paint upon my Brush.

Trieste

I have heard this complaint for as long as I have been staff on E. I heard it at the beginning, and I hear it now all the time. The middling generation always has a lot of concern about the newest generation. I have noticed that the longer someone is here, the less worried they are about Elliquiy's literary quality and character, and I think it's because those people (including myself) have learned to trust Elliquiy's amazing ability to improve people.

I completely understand the need to protect Elliquiy and shield it from people that we worry might dilute the atmosphere here, but the thing is that people who join adapt to Elliquiy. They join and they relax, they mellow. They improve themselves, and they become better.

Or they leave. Sometimes not by their choice, which is unfortunate, but I don't think anyone who has stayed here long-term doesn't belong here in some way. Instead of worrying about the lowest common denominator, I have learned to trust that Elliquiy in itself, as a community, has never managed to sink to that sort of low. We are the high common denominator that our members achieve...

It's one of my favorite things about Elliquiy.

Duncan

-Claps.-

Very well writen, thank you vek.

Caeli

Quote from: Trieste on July 28, 2009, 12:29:36 PM... I think it's because those people (including myself) have learned to trust Elliquiy's amazing ability to improve people.

I completely understand the need to protect Elliquiy and shield it from people that we worry might dilute the atmosphere here, but the thing is that people who join adapt to Elliquiy. They join and they relax, they mellow. They improve themselves, and they become better.

Or they leave.

Agreed.

In my case, I can proudly raise my hand and say that Elliquiy has helped me expand not just as a writer, but as a person. I love that I can come here, and write, and learn about sex and sexuality, and expect to engage in healthy, mature discussions with other adults.

We all would love to keep literary standards high, I'm sure, but standards are different for everyone, and many people come here hoping to improve and get better. I am happy that Elliquiy is a place that can foster such improvement.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Paradox

I totally agree with this and with Trieste's point. I was one of those members who ranted about declining communication standards on the site...after having been around for only six months.  ::)

As long as it doesn't involve chatspeak, I've learned to let each person talk they way they wish. People are bound to make typos and grammatical errors at times, and not everyone even knows how to write properly-- but that shouldn't exclude them from coming and enjoying themselves with whatever skills they do have.

Before Elliquiy, I hadn't written a damned thing aside from innumerable essays and the like. My penchant for creative writing flourished thanks to my time and stories on this site, and oddly enough, I also learned a bit about formal writing rules as well. Thanks Elliquiy.

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Fragile Dreams

I have to say, thank you Veks for writing this. I am one of the people who sat back, lurked and read and as I said many times, Elliquiy has been a place of learning for me. I'm not a native speaker and the more I spend time in here, the more I learn to speak properly. Though I do mistakes and still lurk because I feel that if I say something, it might sound wrong, but Elliquiy has so many things to offer, both in roleplaying and creativity, as well to properly speaking, at least to me.

Often I've seen people complaining about another person's writing and talking and that's what made me work to get myself better to that, no matter how hard it was at first. In overall, what I want to say is that from the moment I joined Elliquiy, my level has increased, both as a writer of stories AND communicative individual. Once again... Thank you.

[tr]
[td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Greenthorn

...and really, if you do not think someone is "literate enough" to write with, then don't write with them.  Just because someone's grammar is not perfect does not mean they might not be a decent person to socialize with!

Love everyone (differences are what makes us all unique!)

Ms Mad Hatter

Quote from: Vekseid on July 27, 2009, 11:49:39 PMTo quote Thomas Jefferson, he who lights his candle at mine receives light without darkening me.
The full quote, just to add my two cents, is: He who receives an idea from me receives it without lessening me, as he who lights his candle at mine receives light without darkening me.

A great quote, and one that fits perfectly. Well said, and I wholly agree, even though I've not been here more than a couple months.
The devil has no power... except in the dark.

Vekseid

Thomas Jefferson is a genius with few peers in his time. : )

Limoncello

I will have to admit that this was my first feeling. I was really intimidated by the length and the literacy of everyone's post. Now I try my best to keep it as literate as possible. E has helped my rp skills and I learning every time I step foot in here.
Cello Ons and Offs Work in process
Absence  Updated 12/8/2011

Currently accepting rps. Currently updating Ons and Offs. Message me for any ideas you may have or want to try.

Talia

I too was very skeptical about my chose to join Elliquiy.I wondered if I had it in me to write,express and even "play" with people for whom I had never meet.I choose to try,and trusted my gut,to take the leap of faith outside my normal boundaries.

I found it over whelming,but I embraced the challenge.Always excited with the new.

When I did my on's and off's list I purposely did not put everything down as I wanted to get used to the environment.To make sure it was safe.

So my point is..... give people a chance....let them find there way,themselves and their words.When they RP with good writers,juicy rolls,great stories and get to read the excellent work others.They too will be inspired to create and choose to become better because of you.

I know joining 'E' has been one of the better decisions I've made this year.I feel lucky to have found this site and even more privileged to be here.
He looks at me and my heart starts skipping beats, my face starts to glow and my eyes start to twinkle.
Imagine what he would do to me if he smiled!

Smile... it's the second best thing to do with your lips.

On's & Off's
The Oath of Drake for Group RP's
A&A

Jude

Quote from: Vekseid on July 27, 2009, 11:49:39 PM
Something I learned before I set up Elliquiy was that most people are more creative than they give themselves credit for. It is a part of human ingenuity, quite literally a genetic feature that a very significant portion of the population possesses. As with learning, relations with the opposite (or same) sex, and so much in life, the greatest barrier to self achievement is realizing that you are capable, and admit it of yourself.
I found that part especially fascinating and true.  It's something I've learned about myself actually from joining Elliquiy.

Amberghylles

I agree and I think that there is a simple truth that those who are concerned about the newcommers not being literate enough don't understand about Elliquiy.

Elliquiy is not literate because we only allow those that are already eloquent to join.  Elliquiy is full of great writers because we encourage everyone to be best writer they can be.

I have a writing partner that occasionally tells me she's surprised that I choose to write with her and has been criticized by some for her writing skills.  And it's true that she's not the most technically proficient writer here or that I write with.  But she's imaginative and enjoys her stories with a passion that shows in every post she makes and makes me glad to see each imperfect one.  Why?  Because the words are just the vessel for what really matters... the story. 

Elliquiy isn't perfect.  But I'm proud to be a part of it and I'm better for having been a part of it. 

Saerrael

Quote from: Vekseid on July 27, 2009, 11:49:39 PM
-snip-

Elliquiy is a role playing community. It is a place where you can find like-minded friends, no matter your race, creed, or experience. It is a celebration of the creative spirit.

To quote Thomas Jefferson, he who lights his candle at mine receives light without darkening me.

Elliquiy is a place for lighting candles.

Thank you.

I have not been here that long, granted. But allready I have grown and am having a lot of fun while I grow as a writer, a person and as a social being.
Shyness has always been my curse. Hiding in shadows with a notebook and a pen, observing the world passing me by due to what I personally saw as my own fault ; I'm not 'normal'.
As a teen I could spend hours staring blankly at a wall, too lost in my own creativity to even realize what I was doing (or rather, what I was not doing.. interact with others). As a young adult I buried my creativity, sacrificed it to 'fit in', hold a job and keep my mouth shut.
In a way a part of me died back then.

Roleplaying has always been a way for me to be myself, all the characters I have played or written about are me. Parts of me I buried in normal life to keep the act up.

I came to Elliquiy, a bit embarrassed, sure I would not fit in here either. But, after speaking with a few people, I found acceptance and have even been honoured with compliments.

I know I am not normal. My creativity is a curse. It's too strong for me to be part of current society, I still bury the creative impulses.
At least here I am able to celebrate it.

...and would do even better when I have broadened my English vocabulary. But that's another story.

Thank you, Vekseid, for my 'E-home'.

Elektra

When I joined I jumped right in and unfortunately I didn’t have the best experience so now I fall into the sit back, lurk, and read category. I am just now starting to become comfortable again and I am looking forward to writing and socializing with everyone. During my lurking time I have been reading and learning about a lot of topics I knew nothing about. E has added another layer of substance to my online experiences that I truly enjoy. 

Thanks for making your post!
Elektra - On/Offs
"Life expands or contracts in direct proportion to one's courage." — Anaïs Nin