Old World of Darkness Game: The Isle of Avalon

Started by Sabriel, September 23, 2011, 07:28:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabriel

Hello there

So I am usually plotting several World of Darkness ideas and plots in my silly head and well I am always pondering on the point of getting one going on here, it is been sometime since I acted as a storyteller for such but on the web it has been pretty much the primary way I have been involved in OWOD. 

Instead of proposing one of my ideas for a story however I thought it would suit better to find a group of players first, as the story always evolves around players anyway it would make more sense for me to pick the most fitting tale and setting based upon the interest and types of players I can gather.

Some important things to know

I do not accept silly concepts or weird ass characters if I don't think your concept or character will fit ill say so, all characters I accept will be newly created and done so using the same rules as everybody else. There will be no weird bloodlines, no Fera in a non Fera game, etc.

This will be World of Darkness not a World of Disney game, that means horrible things could happen I may not be nice if you do something that may get you killed your liable to get killed. Some of the story ideas I have may involve dark paths too and could involve characters becoming involved in monstrous and horrific things or actual monsters themselves.

I am not strict on people posting like immediately as soon as I or someone else has, I like to keep things going but I understand that not everybody has time and well I have lots of patience. I will try post whenever I can and whenever it is appropriate but I would only expect others to do so when they have the time.

I will probably handle all the system bits myself and rely on the storyteller aspect heavily for most things, I would only make rolls when it was entirely necessary.  I.E if there was a car chase I would not roll for it most likely but determine the outcome from the varying abilities of those involved etc.  So sheets will be a guideline most of the time and the game won't be system heavy hopefully and only called upon when absolutely necessary. 

I would like players who will interact with one another and actually work together too.

OK well I think thats enough babble from me ill open it up for people to discus and well ask me questions or whatever.

Update: As there seams a lack of interest in the vampire side of things, I am proceed with the focus on the Garou.  I may open up a storyline for vamps at latter date.

TheHangedOne

I'd be interested in this. Possibly as a human Sorceror (or just a Human gifted with Numina/Psychic powers), or a Ghoul.

I think a post apocalypse (Post Gehenna?) game would be interesting. I also, personally, have no love of Werewolf, and won't play if it becomes heavily focused on that, but hey, if that's what the majority wants, don't let me hold ya'll back.  :-)
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

rhev

I would be interested in the first or third of those choices.  Though the fourth sounds intriguing.  Post apocalyptic as in after a nuclear war, or as in say... post Gehenna?

I'm a huge fan of clan Malkav, and don't play the crazy raving lunatic.  I find the clan most interesting in not falling into stereotypes while still being complely under the sway of the curse of Malkav.  I played a Malkavian who was obsessive compulsive.  Seemed mostly normal, until you realized he couldn't leave a house without locking and unlocking a door four times each or counting the stairs as he walked up and down them. 

I do also love the idea of playing a mortal in a world of darkness... as long as we have an idea that the darkness exists.  Being a clueless human in that world seems pointless / doomed to be a brutally short life.

As for giving control over to the storyteller, I have complete faith in the story teller as far as rolling dice, being fair, etc.  For me, the Game's the thing.

TheHangedOne

Quote from: rhev on September 23, 2011, 08:47:52 PM
I played a Malkavian who was obsessive compulsive.  Seemed mostly normal, until you realized he couldn't leave a house without locking and unlocking a door four times each or counting the stairs as he walked up and down them. 
Nicely done, man. Most people can't pull off a good Malk, but it sounds to me like you've done just that. Was  he fixated with numbers, too?
Check out my poet tree!

Sabriel

Thought id answer some things here

Quote from: TheHangedMan on September 23, 2011, 08:25:58 PM
I'd be interested in this. Possibly as a human Sorceror (or just a Human gifted with Numina/Psychic powers), or a Ghoul.

I think a post apocalypse (Post Gehenna?) game would be interesting. I also, personally, have no love of Werewolf, and won't play if it becomes heavily focused on that, but hey, if that's what the majority wants, don't let me hold ya'll back.  :-)

OK so a human sorcerer id only allow in a few of the story ideas I have really, the most likely of which would be the post apocalyptic one. Although it may also work with the mortal game ideas I have although you would not be likely to start of as such a character but grow into it. I would allow a Ghoul in a Vampire game of course but likely not a sorcerer it would probably get messy, much like I would not allow a Fera in a Werewolf game heh. Basically I will want everyone to be of similar things, so ghouls in a vampire game is fine, Kinfolk in a Werewolf game yeah but nothing beyond that really. The Post Apocalyptic thing is the one thing however where crossover type situations would be more plausible, since in that setting it would not be such an issue.

Quote from: rhev on September 23, 2011, 08:47:52 PM
I would be interested in the first or third of those choices.  Though the fourth sounds intriguing.  Post apocalyptic as in after a nuclear war, or as in say... post Gehenna?

I'm a huge fan of clan Malkav, and don't play the crazy raving lunatic.  I find the clan most interesting in not falling into stereotypes while still being complely under the sway of the curse of Malkav.  I played a Malkavian who was obsessive compulsive.  Seemed mostly normal, until you realized he couldn't leave a house without locking and unlocking a door four times each or counting the stairs as he walked up and down them. 

I do also love the idea of playing a mortal in a world of darkness... as long as we have an idea that the darkness exists.  Being a clueless human in that world seems pointless / doomed to be a brutally short life.

As for giving control over to the storyteller, I have complete faith in the story teller as far as rolling dice, being fair, etc.  For me, the Game's the thing.

So this is my brief blurb about the Post Apocalyptic thing it mentions some various factors relating to a few of the supernatural types, it is not really focused on any of them they just happen to be the ones Ive mentioned. 

“Post Apocalyptic” old world of darkness game, the setting obviously will be vastly different to any published material. But the general themes and elements will mostly still be present. In this world the Garou are a broken and shattered people, with tribes and auspices becoming an almost meaningless thing there culture is in ruins and the spirits are silent. Yet they survive and some strive to discover there heritage and take back the fight or find new purpose in the world. The Kindred fare no better there own history and linages are just as tattered and broken, no Elder's remain or have been found to speak of the times before. Mage's struggle to master there arts and understand what happened to the world, while mortals try there best to survive and rebuild all across the globe. A dark era has come upon the world, civilization has become a meaningless concept, survival and escape from the horrors of the new world are the only concerns of mankind. The supernatural is no longer just a myth, the masquerade is barely kept or seen at all as a thing of relevance. Kindred freely roam and rule over mortal dwellings as other supernatural factors build there own factions and strongholds within the world. The Umbra is a dangerous and dark place that few can reach or survive in these troubled times, those that journey there rarely return and those that do are almost always changed and touched by the harrowing experience. There are few who know the truth of how the world became as it was, many remember horrific scenes and tales but all are garbled and few can be sure of the truth, yet seemingly there are forces at work within the world who thrive in the conditions.

So basically the post apocalyptic thing is a bit of all of the End times things in a way as well as the possibility or war and such heh, in actual fact part of the theme of it is that few people actually know what happened people are still trying to figure that out.  I mean even most of the Kindred that exist in this world are kinda clueless as to there history, there are a few that remember but most are those embraced in this new era and they know nothing of before and don't particularly care. In the setting there is a bit of a reversal of the curse of Caine, those of weak blood are actually more powerful in some ways than those of stronger blood they are more numerous too truly the Thin Blooded rule the era. 

When I say more powerful btw I don't actually mean in a sense that they posses greater powers as such, but the curse has less effect upon them and there weak blood is an actual advantage to them.  Although my way of working this does actually mean you have to actually buy being of lesser blood at creation just as you might buy being more than 13th standard :P

Your Malkavian sounds like the kind of Malkavian I prefer hehe :)

As for the mortal thing you may not be entirely aware of the supernatural from the get go but you would discover it as part of the story, in all the ideas I have for mortal things the supernatural will be involved and discovering it and becoming wrapped up or involved in it will play a large part of it.  It won't just be mundane soap opera life in the world of darkness blissfully unaware and never knowing about any supernatural things :P

Also the system thing with me is not about having control or anything heh I just felt it would be less distracting and make things run more smoothly if I could keep all the system fluff out the way, Id quite happily have people do it themselves I just like to keep things going without distraction and such.  It would be quicker for me to use the storyteller method and well when needed do the rolls so that there was no waiting etc, I can always inform of the details or show them hehe although keeping them secret does sometimes provide some advantage it adds a bit of suspense too ;D

TheHangedOne

Quote from: Sabriel on September 23, 2011, 09:55:15 PM
Thought id answer some things here

OK so a human sorcerer id only allow in a few of the story ideas I have really, the most likely of which would be the post apocalyptic one. Although it may also work with the mortal game ideas I have although you would not be likely to start of as such a character but grow into it. I would allow a Ghoul in a Vampire game of course but likely not a sorcerer it would probably get messy, much like I would not allow a Fera in a Werewolf game heh. Basically I will want everyone to be of similar things, so ghouls in a vampire game is fine, Kinfolk in a Werewolf game yeah but nothing beyond that really. The Post Apocalyptic thing is the one thing however where crossover type situations would be more plausible, since in that setting it would not be such an issue.
Completely understandable.

Hmm, I'm not too keen on the post apocalyptic idea, honestly. It's just not getting its hooks in me.  :-\ 

Playing a modern day campaign seems very appealing to me right now, as I suddenly got the idea for a character who works for a small "Occult" magazine (99% of their stories are bullshit; it's nothing taken too seriously), and how this particular journalist might just end up finding out something he wasn't meant to know...  haha.

Then again, playing a Sorceror who is just beginning his trek down the road of Path Magick sounds highly appealing, too.  I'd probably go Alchemy or enchantment in that case, as a primary Path.
Check out my poet tree!

Muse

I adore Werewolf the Wild West and have never been able to play, only run.  ^_^;; 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

rhev

Quote from: TheHangedMan on September 23, 2011, 09:45:11 PM
Nicely done, man. Most people can't pull off a good Malk, but it sounds to me like you've done just that. Was  he fixated with numbers, too?

No.... music actually.  Beatles songs especially drove him into a state of complete distraction.  It got to the point where the other PLAYERS in the game... not just their characters... were convinced that my Malk knew something that he wasn't telling them and it was tied to "Hey Jude."   It helped that the story teller in the game would often pass me notes every half hour or so.  A lot of the times the notes just said "this is a note"   But sometimes they were insight i gained with eyes of madness.  So the other players never knew when I had relevant information and when I was just being a OCD whackaloo that would kill someone to get double AA batteries for his disc man.

Senti

You know I am in :), and I love werewolf, though can turn my hand to most.

As you know I am easy....but not that way...he he he

Sabriel

Quote from: Senti on September 24, 2011, 03:49:41 AM
You know I am in :), and I love werewolf, though can turn my hand to most.

As you know I am easy....but not that way...he he he

Hehe well your always welcome to get involved and you are already aware of a few of my ideas I believe since I know Ive mentioned them to you probably.

Kate

If its a dark age or medevil fantasy setting im all there if i can be a vampire.

Sabriel

I have added a poll so that I can get some clear idea of what  people would be most interested in, everybody can vote twice so if you have multiple preferences you can choose between two or give your votes to just the one.

Kate

it can be primarily werewolf with some vampires or vice versa or both ?

Sabriel

Well if people ask for a Vampire game the only player characters I will allow will be Vampires and perhaps Ghouls, I will not allow anything else as it will cause awkwardness everybody will be the same thing.  If I am doing a Vampire game it will be about Vampires not about all the Kindred and that one Garou who for some bizarre reason hangs around with a few Kindred :P

The post apocalyptic game would be the thing where crossover would make more sense, and well the mortal game may have the possibility of ending up with a minor bit of such.

The reason Ive given two votes is so that you can have two preferences or commit entirely to one.

I am open to other suggestions which is why I put the other option so If someone proposes a crossover sort of thing that makes sense ill come up with something for that if it makes sense and is a popular choice.

CShades

I'd love a post apocalyptic game with WoD elements. It would pretty much allow for any kind of interactions between different monsters and people, perhaps even harking back to the Dark Ages books rather than the oWoD ones.  (Dark Ages Vampire, anyone?)  I call Tzimisce. Or a Revenant. 

"The next time I kill you, I promise you the labyrinth that consists of a single straight line that is both invisible and endless" ~Jorge Luis Borges.

AndyZ

It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

BenedictWolfe

I would probably be interested in a modern day Masquerade game, depending on the set up.

grovercjuk

I am always interested in a Werewolf game if that is what you end up running.

AndyZ

I've had the idea for some time now about a Toreador who owns a nightclub.  If we do VtM modern, I'll likely go for that idea.

Dark Ages, I'm not overly great on the styles and methods appropriate to the age, but I'd absolutely love to give that a shot as well.  No idea what I'd play though.  I'd need an awesome idea to build from first.

As far as Werewolf, that's one of the oWoD games that I have the least familiarity with, but I'd still be happy to play.  Probably a Uktena, possibly Bone Gnawer, maybe a Stargazer if they're allowed.

Not as much interested in just a mortals game, although if that's what everyone else wants, I would rather play than be left out.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Sabriel

So far it looks like Vampire and Werewolf are the most popular with Vampire leading the way by 1 vote at present hehe.

With either I can easily do something in modern or dark age etc, ill base the decision on what people would prefer to do.

TheHangedOne

Check out my poet tree!

Sabriel

Based on the votes presently my thinking has been going two ways and as per usual with my peculiar trains of thought Ive spiraled my ideas into a third idea.

It would take some work and setup for me to do but the idea and possibility of doing a story of two halves does have intriguing possibilities, what I mean by this is that the idea occurs to me that it could be plausible for a story where there was two groups. On the whole the story would then have a wider scope with it being about more than one venue and there side of the story, so it could say be one side is the exploits of a group of Kindred in said city and the other is the activities and story of a pack of Garou etc. They may never actually meet one another but there actions may effect each other and can be represented in the story etc.

It would be a challenge for me to do this although I have juggled the running of several stories and venues before on chats, so it would not be entirely strange for me although doing it on a forum would be a first for me hehe. 

I thought id share this idea anyway to see if it appealed if not I am quite fine just sticking to one venue, it just occurred to me that it could prove an interesting thing to do if done properly.

grovercjuk

So they would share the city but may never interact directly? That could be very interesting, I would prefer to play modern era Werewolf by choice but will go with the majority choice.

Sabriel

Yes that would be the basic idea, they may not even actually share the city as such the city will likely be the prime domain of the Kindred.  The Garou may just be nearby and it be the nearest city they may have interests and some influence kinfolk etc there, there might be a minor Caern there but I picture more of a rural thing as the base of the Elders and such of the local Garou. 

What it would be is that things in the area will affect both perhaps and each others actions may occasionally be of note to one another, I would not entirely rule out no interaction between them ever but if there was such it would probably be a rare thing and not like they would be meeting up in coffee shops or going out on the town together or attending the Toreador's latest social occasion  :P

AndyZ

I'd be up for this if you feel that you can pull it off.

Do you have a particular messenger that you want us to send character concepts to and such?