Thundercats 2011 Trailer.

Started by Wolfy, July 04, 2011, 10:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfy

Thundercats (2011) - Official Trailer [HD]

Oh for the love of God, why does July 29th have to be so far away?!

Kunoichi

29th? o.o And here I was under the mistaken impression that it was coming out on the 15th...

NotoriusBEN

oh I know the feeling. My heart sank when they announced the 29th. the 80's show was awesome, but like most 80's western toons, it felt stilted and wooden at times. lets see what this one does. By the way, cant wait til they introduce Begali and Pantro.

Pantro will probably get a rabid cheering by the fandom like Yoda did in Episode 2 when he went monkey lightsaber on Dooku. /endgeek

Wolfy

WilyKit and WilyKat look cool..and even Snarf looks good. lol.

The 29th can't get here fast enough, damn it! D:...But Sadly I'll have to watch the 1 hour premier on Saturday, since I'll be working that Friday.

Oniya

Has anyone seen the fan-made 'live action' clip?  They took bits from movies like Thor, Chronicles of Riddick, Farscape, and Stargate, and stitched them together into a rather well-done faux-trailer.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Sabby

Theres only a few cartoons I've liked enough to watch a few seasons in, and any I try always end up getting held to the standards of either Justice League Unlimited, or X-Men Evolution. Thundercats I haven't tried, because I really don't mesh with the 80's period cartoons so well... they're just so jarring and campy :/

If this is a remake or a revamp, will definitely check it out.

Oniya

It's not a remake in the sense of taking the old story and updating it.  This is taking the characters from the original story and showing them in another time-frame (like the new Voltron series is taking place after the original Lions version while the original pilots are still alive).  In this case, the writers are exploring what happened before the events in the '80s series.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Kunoichi

No, I'm pretty sure it's a remake. ^^; It's what they've been calling it since day one, and it definitely doesn't seem to connect to the old series at any point at all.

Wolfy

Quote from: Oniya on July 05, 2011, 12:27:33 PM
It's not a remake in the sense of taking the old story and updating it.  This is taking the characters from the original story and showing them in another time-frame (like the new Voltron series is taking place after the original Lions version while the original pilots are still alive).  In this case, the writers are exploring what happened before the events in the '80s series.

Yeah, it actually is a remake.

Apparently, the story will focus on 2 planets at most, and is going to streamline the story from the original while also making it darker and edgier. (Such as *Gasp* Slavery? On third earth?! OH THE MORALITY!) and..stuff.

Fights to the Death and all that.

Darker and Edgier indeed..not that that's a bad thing.

A few things have changed, too, like Lion-O and Tygra being Brothers, with Tygra being the older brother. Lion-O, however, is the one to succeed the throne, so they have a sibling rivalry thing going on.

Sabby

So... its a dark gritty reboot. We're seriously guna be making dark gritty reboots for all the 80's action cartoons? Hell, I'll still watch the ones that interest me, but thats kind of worrying in the long run... it could get to the point where my future kids have no shows of their own, just reheated leftovers.

Wolfy

But when the reheated leftovers look and taste just as good (or better) than the original, do you really care?

Sabby

Immediately, no, in the long term, yes... its like if we didn't have Bioshock or Mass Effect, just sequels of Mario and Halo. That'd suck for me :/ nothing to tell my kids about, nothing thats my period.

VincentD

I am a huge T-cats fan so I am very happily down with this remake, I must admit!

Wolfy, I love your avatar greatly. ^_^
Shall I be your cultured monster, haughty fool or perhaps the savage demon hidden behind a pretty face is more to your wicked liking? Let us dance in sun drenched glades or battle in dark, lost mines...what to do, what to do? Flip a coin and close your eyes

This is my intro questionnaire post thing: Please don't hold it against me! ^_^

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=112304.0

NotoriusBEN

personally, I think its a step up in 80's cartoons if they get a bit of grit in their reboot.
Its like the cartoons are ''growing up'' with us.

I remember GI Joe with some of its huge battles and *everyone* survived. It just seemed odd that a covert organization
had as much pull and hardware as a developed European nation.

And I know a lot of you will roll eyes at Anime, but I think the Japanese influence is probably the best thing to happen to western animation. I remember around '89 or '90 when I saw my first episode of Robotech and just how ''FREAKING AWESOME'' it was to everything but Transformers. Later I saw Akira and my eight year old mind exploded from the awesome. :P

I mean shoot until the mid 90s you had some pretty campy toons and Western views treated cartoons as just kids stuff. The Japanese made it cool to like toons with grown up stories and grown up tastes.

SinfulAngel

I had absolutely no idea Cartoon Network was remaking Thunder Cats and I am now sooooooo excited for the end of the month to be here NOW!!!

Wolfy you are my hero as this is the best news of the cartoon world i've seen/heard in awhile.

Updated Unicorn 1/24/17
      Active stories ~ 5  Post time frame 1-5 days

Oniya

Quote from: NotoriusBEN on July 06, 2011, 04:42:57 AM
And I know a lot of you will roll eyes at Anime, but I think the Japanese influence is probably the best thing to happen to western animation. I remember around '89 or '90 when I saw my first episode of Robotech and just how ''FREAKING AWESOME'' it was to everything but Transformers. Later I saw Akira and my eight year old mind exploded from the awesome. :P

In my personal cartoon history, I blame Speed Racer for blowing my mind.  So yes, there's the Japanese connection there, too.

(Seriously?  Akira at age 8?)

NotoriusBEN

oh dont get me wrong, oniya. my parents had a s**t-fit when they found the box. kinda weird though >.> they didnt really care what I watched, but some things pushed buttons I guess. Shoot, I remember watching Rambo III regligiously and Dad didnt care. They poo-pooed Heavy Metal (understandibly) when I got older. Maybe it was just that Akira was so 'out there' or they didnt watch it first or something I dunno.

parents are weird, but Im in my late 20's now so I dont have to listen to them much about my personal tastes anymore.
(didnt care in my teens either, but we all had to be discreet at that age) :P

Kunoichi

...Huh.  I wasn't aware that they'd made a Rambo III...

Stupid AMC, only showing the first two movies. >>;

NotoriusBEN

thread hijacking aside, they've made a Rambo 4 as well.

First Blood was in western washington. He was a vagrant that went ballistic when some dirty cops roughed him up.
Rambo II had him back in Laos and Cambodia to rescue some POWs that'd been there since the end of Vietnam.
Rambo III he rescues Col. Campbell from the Russians and he helps the Afghanis fight their guerilla war with the Russians (I know wtf right?)
Rambo IV he is back in Laos and Cambodia as a guide for some missionaries that want to help the people, but its like Injuns and Cowboys. There is little law beyond the gun. I sum this up as 'Rambo vs. the Brown People, Grindhouse-Style'. Seriously he f**ks em up hardcore. Like pick a dude up for a choke slam, but rips his throat out bare-handed, instead.

There have been... talks... of Rambo V. Where he goes up against something like a Predator.... yea... I stopped listening after that rumer too.

anyway, back to Thunda Catz woo! Cheetara! No one spins around the pole like you do! (haha double enteandre)

Kunoichi

Rambo vs. Predator?

I'd watch it. :P

Ahhhh, Tygra. <3

NotoriusBEN

You like his expertise with the whip, dontcha?  ^-^

Kunoichi

Yes, and there's also the fact that he's the only Thundercat with a gun. :P

NotoriusBEN

Jag

I remember a VH1 show called 'I Love the 80s' and someone on there commented that "if all animals looked like Cheetara, then bestiality wouldn't be frowned on"...that always makes me chuckle a little.

Anyway, I'm usually happy for reboots/remakes of shows. It's interesting to see what they are going to do with the story.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Sabby

I'm probably the last person to have any say in remakes/reboots... I've gone through all 19 seasons of Power Rangers, which for the most part is pretty formulaic, and my knee jerk reaction to dark revamping is "Wow, cool!" I only start to change my opinion after I've read a few comments along the lines of "Wow, that's what the setting needed... Jamaican med-school-drop-out Baraka"