News:

Main Menu

is country music dead?

Started by sartracker, July 28, 2010, 07:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sartracker

" Sometime falling, feels like flying, even for a little while!

Kraven Trollsbane

Wrong forum please post discussion topics in the off topic section of the general chat section.
 A&A

sartracker

Thank You Sir, as you can tell this is all new to me!

Kraven Trollsbane

dont worry i pm'd a mod to move it for you

on topic i never liked country music in the first place so i dont guess i would mind if it had
 A&A

sartracker

Kraven Trollsbane

my pleasure.

on topic

even though i dont care for country i have to admit i like some of the old stuff like johnny cash.
 A&A

Wolfy

I hope so! o-o *lives in the south...is extremely tired of Country music. >_<*

LIAR

I don't dislike country, but I don't particularly enjoy listening to most of it.

The Golden Touch

Depends on your view on country.  I still like it quite a bit.  I just have a wider taste in music than just country.

"Yesterday was the easy day."
Ideas (Open) /What Floats My Boat\ Absences

Serephino

I like some of the older stuff.  My dad liked it so I listened to it as a kid.  Though it does seem that the newer singers are also on pop lists.  Pop may be absorbing country.  I've wondered that myself. 

Diabolus Lupus

I don't think it's dead. It's changed a bit since I was a kid. And for the most part I like it. Although I wish some of the artists would quit releasing stupid songs. Also, I'm pretty sure pop is not absorbing country.

Will

Quote from: Serephino on July 28, 2010, 10:00:50 PM
I like some of the older stuff.  My dad liked it so I listened to it as a kid.  Though it does seem that the newer singers are also on pop lists.  Pop may be absorbing country.  I've wondered that myself. 

This pretty much says it for me.  If pop isn't absorbing country, then it's at least infecting it to create something new.  If you've ever heard Merle Haggard, George Jones (and especially even further back) then it's obvious that country has become more polished and poppy.  *shrugs*  You find anything with a big enough market, and pop will take it over.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

sartracker

I know that of all the genres, country is less popular than others. I have always been a country fan until I started listening to Xm Radio, where I started listening to outlaw country, or Americana. It turned me onto artists that I have never heard of. The music is a cross between traditional country, southern country and rock. I can't take some of the new country and don't listen to the main stream . Thank you all for your replies.

Ink Slinger

I think like anything else it's just changing.  I grew up on such an odd mix of music.  Mom listened to the country stations, dad listened to AC/DC.  I enjoy southern rock more than country anymore.  Too much pop in my country and I can't abide the pop princesses.   But all music goes through cycles.  Look at what we called rock in the 50's and what we call rock now.  *shrugs* 
Ons and Offs                   A/A                         Cravings  
not considering new RPs. Erratic response time

Paradox

As with every other style of music, it's evolving. Most musical genres these days have incorporated aspects of other genres. Country has become a strange hybrid of rock, pop, and country. Rock has taken on a number of hip-hop elements in recent years, as has pop to an even greater extent. Everything changes; everything evolves. It's not dead, just different.

That being said, I'm sure Hank Williams Sr. rolls over in his grave every time he hears the modern genre referred to as country.  :P

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

sartracker

Paradox,
I agree with you there!

auroraChloe

Quote from: Kraven Trollsbane on July 28, 2010, 08:04:46 PM
even though i dont care for country i have to admit i like some of the old stuff like johnny cash.

Johnny is a genre all his own !       

Quote from: Paradox on July 29, 2010, 08:17:05 AM
That being said, I'm sure Hank Williams Sr. rolls over in his grave every time he hears the modern genre referred to as country.  :P

in his day it was known as Country & Western, a whole different genre than what the push out today. 

Patsy Cline, Loretta Lynn, Eddie Arnold, Conway Twitty...  that's old school stuff.

The Eagles used to be on rock stations, now they are played on country stations.. same with CCR and Lynard Skynard.

i don't like so much the pop stuff being sold as country.  i don't mind the music just how they sell it.  cross-over they call it, when it's top 40 pop.  *shrugs*

so, it's not dead.  just sold out. 

a/a 8/21/17

sartracker

Aurora Chloe,
Thanks for dropping by, Patsy Cline's "I fall To Pieces" was one of the best! I am a traditionalist when it comes to country. It's got to have fiddles and steel guitars. and my I say that's a hot avatar you have Aurora!

auroraChloe

thanks sartracker.   :-)

Crazy is popular at karaoke.  i like Walking after Midnight too. 

some acts don't cross over as much as others.  Reba doesn't seem to (i could be wrong). [noembed]Fancy[/noembed] is a good ole country song in theme and sound.  or i just have a soft spot for whores.   XD

a/a 8/21/17

sartracker

The words to fancy are so incredible believable. When ever I hear it I listen to it like it was happening before my eyes.

auroraChloe

Quote from: sartracker on July 29, 2010, 11:32:01 AM
The words to fancy are so incredible believable. When ever I hear it I listen to it like it was happening before my eyes.

it would make a good rp actually.  aha!

a/a 8/21/17

sartracker

Yes it would indeed, I'll keep that in mind when I'm approved. Would you play with me?

auroraChloe

oh, i don't know.  was just a thought.  a damn good one though.    :D

lets keep in touch about it, but i won't promise anything. 

a/a 8/21/17

sartracker