Fallout: Oahu

Started by Inerrant Lust, October 27, 2015, 10:37:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGlyphstone

I'd definitely be interested in a silly, sexy Fallout-verse game, either as a vault dweller or an outsider/companion. Though I think the idea of just making Vault 88 (though seriously, why did you not call it Vault 69, since Vault 34 was taken?) an extended social experiment in non-traditional social values and family structures, rather than a chemical experiment. The Vaults where they mess with the food/water supplies, or pump gas into the air, are always the ones that end up collapsing horribly.

Inerrant Lust

Because it's something else entirely. And canon! ;)

Though fun, I imagine the limited gene pool would have either turned Vault 69 into a case study of genetic bottlenecks or cause them to leave it early rather than risk inbreeding. But yes, the more I think about it- the more plausible it sounds to just have all the vault architecture look like something out of a combination Georgia O'Keeffe/Boris Vallejo gallery and for all the PA announcements to be done by a sensual female voice- the published pamphlets and reading material veering more towards erotica than anything else... All the original vault dwellers might have also been single men and women, or even teenagers aged 16-19.

TheGlyphstone

I really should have expected that. And I have no idea why they squandered 34 on a 'weapons' themed vault either.

So are you opening the vault to PC players? If we're going to be outsiders, you'll have to tell us all a bit more about the world outside the vault. Otherwise I guess you can PM it to the 'natives' and let us Vaulties find things out the...hard way.

lore

Oh man. I can practically hear Dala from Old World BLues on the P.A.

I might be going entirely off the rails here, but part of the beauty of vault-tec experiments is how they can go sideways. Could there have been a puritan faction that split off and responded with intense repression to the sexual stimuli? They were going in there with old world values afterall.

TheGlyphstone

I thought of Klein first, myself. "PENISES WRIGGLING ON ITS FEET!"

Inerrant Lust

I always preferred Dr. Ventu- I mean, Dr. 0. I hadn't in mind an alternate 'fuck up' for the vault experiment, other than the inhabitants being saturated to aphrodisiacs the point of immunity. That was the plan, at least.

Could be the aphrodisiacs happened and the immunity occurred- but none of the crazy sex powers. The fuck up the experiment was that the Vault actually went off without a hitch, unlike so many others...

Yes, there are... things that I would like to keep secret from the vault dwellers. ;)

Vreski

Getting more specific with my character, I'd like to play a female vault dweller that works at a bar in the vault. Also with me, the more mutative the experiment was the better.

Inerrant Lust

I'll just leave this here.

But I do need concepts to be slightly more specific than that. I don't need long and detailed backstories, especially for vault dwellers since, let's face it, they've all lived a pretty similiar life. ... but in general, I need to know what I can expect of my players and how your characters might act/react to the things they see.

TheGlyphstone

Can you set the scene a bit more for us, then? I don't think we even have a definite idea of what life was like in the vault, since you were still deciding between two (or more) extremes, not to mention variables like a puritan splinter group, so it's hard for any of us to be able to give more detail.

Alias

hello everyone. I'm going to pull my interest from this, as my plate is very much full for now. Good luck all! I hope you have fun.

Inerrant Lust

Ah, sorry to hear that, Alias.

Well, for the details of vault life- I figured I might leave that very much up to you guys, but I can offer my own theories as to how it would work out...

The vault would, in any scenario, have a very sex-positive atmosphere. The Overseer is the only one really briefed on the experiment, but presumably he/she and his/her successors would be on board with it. Quelling a puritan group would be one of their priorities, and that group probably wouldn't be allowed to breed, namely in order to maintain a small population so as not to overcrowd... but also to get rid of such 'deviant' behavior. If the entire vault's first generation was full of singles or horny teenagers, then establishing a sex-friendly atmosphere might not be so difficult. The biggest problem they might have is overpopulation. Lots of people having sex means a lot of chances for contraception to fail- or just plain overeagerness. Contraceptives, after a while, would be handed out to the point of overkill- and it might even be an inspectable item.

Privacy is hard to come by in such a cramped space, even more so when everyone's hormonally or psychologically addled with lust... but rather than struggle to maintain it, I imagine the vault abandoned the concept altogether. Taboos would be removed as impractical. Many of the things considered abhorrent to 1950s America would eventually be considered fine, while maintaining that cheerful camp. Homosexual relationships might even be encouraged, as an outlet for one's passions that would not lead to any inadvertent babymaking. I can see some of Vault 88's PA announcements as follows;

"Remember: Knock before entering a residence. You never know who might be coming home for dinner."
"Did you know: Oral Sex is Safe Sex!"
"Did you know: Vault 88 is equipped to house only 1000 residents. See your vault physician today for contraceptives!"
"Remember: Experimentation is healthy."
"Having a hard time? Tune in to frequency 104.88 for some stimulating stories for adults only!"

Swinging might be common among married vault dwellers. They might make rituals of it, the same way couples would go to a party and exchange car keys- the 88s might exchange room keys and go home with eachothers' spouses. They'd send the kids off to amuse themselves during these weekly escapades, which only promotes their own budding romances that will eventually become relationships.

Long term relationships might be based less on affection and more on who the overseer deems appropriate to pass on their genes. Even then, marriages are probably not strictly monogamous, as theorized above. The 'courting' phase of a relationship might be very short, if present at all. Don't be surprised to see people immediately going at it with someone they just met. Then again, the vault is such a small community that everyone probably knows each other.

A vault dweller going outside might be surprised to see the concept of modesty or 'taking it slow' in a relationship. Normally, if you thought someone was attractive- you'd go somewhere and fuck. No strings attached. Considering the lack of animals in the vault and the lack of other sexual taboos; they very well may have been conditioned to be omnisexual, seeing everything, to include mutants, robots, or animals... as a potential partner.

Life on the outside, however... Well, I would characterize it as... Oppressive, but for a variety of reasons.

There are a greater diversity of mutants and mutated animals, owing in part to the biological weapons used by the Chinese in the Great War, the FEV that was housed all over the island (Remember, its original purpose was to inoculate US soldiers against those biological weapons), and the airborne radiation and FEV contamination from other places in the world that were A-bombed.

There is little contact with the outside world, if any. To many, it has reverted back to the days before Captain Cook first visited the islands. Ask most people about America and they won't know what you're talking about. There's only the islands and the ocean. For this reason, Hawaiian tribal culture has actually made a resurgence. Tribals dressed in grass skirts living in the jungle revere the spirits of the land.

There exists two big 'factions' in the wasteland, but neither of them tolerate neutrality. If you aren't with them, you are against them. This has caused a lot of fragmentation, as people simply don't want to get in the middle of their war. They are also more interested in fighting each other than actually improving their land or bettering their people... to an extent.

LSWSjr

Going to submit a character tomorrow, based on a level one New Vegas build.

She's going to be a tech minded vault gal with an overwhelming desire to breed, perhaps in part because the Vault's insistence on contraception represents one of the few sexual taboos the community has :D

Cheers
Rowan/LSWSjr
"The true price of my immortality, has been outliving my children" - Kassey LeHane

http://lswsjr.deviantart.com/gallery/?catpath=/ - the Home of my SFW art commissions
http://www.hentai-foundry.com/pictures/user/LSWSjr - the Home of my NSFW art commissions

Inerrant Lust

That... is actually an interesting idea. One I hadn't thought of.

Pregnancy is usually a topic I avoid, not because I don't find it interesting, but because it can slow a story down. Particularly an adventure-type story. If we went with the 'build a settlement' approach to this game, it would fit in just fine.

A combination of the 'build a settlement' and 'go on an adventure' type game could be done, too. Which, in retrospect, is how FO4 does it. In that game, it seems that building your community is more of a means to an end rather than the end itself. A vault-dwelling techie could be invited to share her superior scientific knowledge base with some band of survivors, in exchange for a place to stay and eventually, a daycare service. ;)

Besides, if you wanted to include pregnancy in the story- we can always timeskip a few months at a time once she hits her second trimester- assuming that the party has found a place to settle in and isn't in the middle of something too pressing. If that's the way you wanna roll it, I can certainly work around it. The other players would still have plenty to do, of course.

craeric

Just read the thread, not sure what I would play, but this seems...interesting.  I think I would play an outsider, sexually  interested in one of the vault dwellers- and 'romantically' hopeful- but unsure of him/herself in part because of a much more, almost puritanical upbrining.  Constantly shocked at how forward the vaultie is.   the character- I am unsettled on gender- would be a former gaurd of a local warlord who got killed, and was forced to go off on there own.  Lower tech by far, who prefers to use a tire iron or something like that as a weapon and is quite fast with it, more agility based than strength, thin and wirey but knows JUST where to hit. 

Inerrant Lust

I know I usually wait to join a game until I've seen the other PCs, so these are the ideas I've gotten so far.

Two from Missfire, though I think Sarah will be the one she goes with in the end.

Makani Ka'ana'ana
Addt'l Images: One, Two

Her original name was Makani Ka'ana'ana. It meant 'the black magic wind'. These days she prefers to go by something much simpler; Milu. The Hawaiian goddess of the dead and dying. Milu was forged by the wasteland into a seasoned survivor, but it also turned her into a mutant barely clinging to life. The toxic cloud caused four additional arms to grow from her torso, which she can use with immense skill to wield multiple weapons at one time, or a single weapon that would normally be carried by multiple men. Her strength and toughness are above normal and toxins can heal her. She is extremely intelligent and uses extensive planning and the environment to get an edge over the bandits, gangs, and mutants roaming Oahu. Despite her exterior strength and ability, her insides seem to be rather weak. She needs to constantly wear a respirator mask and the raspy voice she speaks with indicates some kind of lung trouble. She often emits a wheezing, hacking cough. Though she doesn't require food to survive, she does need to ingest a potent toxin cocktail to keep herself alive. She does this through a port in her stomach. Home surgery at it's finest. She wears scavenged police gear and carries an arsenal of knives and weapons everywhere she goes. Milu is more of a sneaky, sniper-style combatant than a frontline fighter.

Sarah Sauer
Other Images:Addt'l Image #1 Addt'l Image #2 Addtl'l Image #3 Theme
Sarah 'Whiskey' Sauer is a killing machine. She is a mercenary that loves shooting people in the face. Secretly, though, she's a good person at heart. Don't tell anyone; she has a reputation to maintain. She is also an irredeemable drunkard, hence the nickname. "Battle doesn't need a purpose. The battle is it's own purpose," is something Sarah once said. Right before she shot a man in the face. A truer blood knight there never was, Sarah was raised around and lives for combat. She is always eager for a fight, will prod people just to get a response out of them, and in battle may take risks or deliberately handicap herself in order to make things more 'fun'. Off the field she is generally mellow, apathetic, and even kind of lazy, but once the gunfire starts she becomes a screaming banshee of destruction. Despite her abrasive attitude and reckless nature earning her the ire of her comrades, she will always be the first person to rush in and come to the aid of a teammate. It may be just for the sheer thrill of it but, regardless, she'll throw herself into the fire for her crew. While she may appear to be lazy in the office and little more than a berserker in the field, she's actually got a keen tactical mind and is apt at coming up with strategies on the fly. Unlike Makani, however, her version of smarts is less 'book smart' and more 'gut instinct'.

And this one is from lore. Another Sara(h) :P

Sara Lynn – a self-sufficient salvager and ever-wisecracking crew member. She came into my imagination giving whoever was cutting into the vault a hassle, timing their efforts and giving up-to-the-minute updates of just how long they were taking to pierce the doors. Humor is a flimsy crutch. She is ultimately afraid of whatever lurks within the bunker, having seen enough creatures touched by the FEV and lingering nerve gas pockets. Her parents were devout farmers, well respected by the community until their homestead was swallowed by a putrid sinkhole. She’s built a new life as an artifact hunter but hasn’t lost the casual, earthy warmth of her upbringing.   

LSWSjr

Name: Kassey LeHane
Concept: Pregnancy obsessed chemist and surrogate mother from Vault 88
History: Born and raised in the hormone overloaded sexpit that is Vault 88, Kassey grew to be a very sexually aware young woman, yet throughout her childhood nothing captured her imagination more than the process of pregnancy and childbirth.  This fascination continued throughout her teens and by the time she turned eighteen her heart was truly set on becoming pregnant as often as possible.
Kassey was well aware of the Vault's policies, especially the enforced use of contraception in all but specially approved breeding arrangements, but it was her drive to beat 'the system' that led the bright young girl to study chemistry and biology, learning all that she'd need to make any contraceptives she encountered effectively useless.
After the forth 'accidental' pregnancy however, Kassey was brought before the Overseer where she quickly broke down, explaining her deep seated need to breed.  Not wanting to exile the otherwise useful member of their community, the Overseer declared Kassey a dedicated surrogate mother, responsible for carrying the children for couples who could not do so themselves.  Since that day Kassey has successfully delivered seven more children and couldn't imagine a better life.

What Makes You S.P.E.C.I.A.L.?
Attributes (New Vegas [40] / Fallout 4 [28])
4 / 3 Strength
6 / 4 Perception
6 / 4 Endurance
7 / 5 Charisma
8 / 6 Intelligence
4 / 3 Agility
5 / 3 Luck

Successful Pregnancies

"The true price of my immortality, has been outliving my children" - Kassey LeHane

http://lswsjr.deviantart.com/gallery/?catpath=/ - the Home of my SFW art commissions
http://www.hentai-foundry.com/pictures/user/LSWSjr - the Home of my NSFW art commissions

TheGlyphstone

My first idea was going to be a medic/chem expert, but I'll go with a mechanical whiz instead as to not overlap too strongly with LSWSjr's concept. For the Vault to endure for 200 years without failure means plenty of spare parts and some darn good mechanics.

Idea for Vault society - what if the internal social structure, in the absence of the traditional nuclear families, coalesced into mini-clans/tribes centered around one's particular role in keeping the Vault functional? Heavy encouragement to cross/interbreed, and a freedom to switch 'tribes' to fit one's particular aptitude or skill set/preference, but still having a core sense of identity on being a Mixer (chemist) or a Fixer (mechanic) or a Grower (farmer) or whatever.

Inerrant Lust

I actually had in mind to place this game at around the 2130s, before any of the other games (excluding, technically, FO4)

If vault 88 was composed of, as I figured, teenagers or young adults and they began breeding within months of entering... then that's roughly enough time for 3 generations to have passed- albeit young generations. Even outside the vaults, there is the possibility of people being born before the war still being around. It's been 53 years since the bombs dropped (though I imagine life expectancy has dropped pretty substantially)

Part of the tribalism that might be prevalent in the island would likely be due to an outright refusal of technology by those settlements that went tribal. I have in mind a narrative that a lot of native Hawaiians, in part fueled by distrust of Vault-tek and the government, formulated their own plans for survival without the vaults. -and were actually fairly successful! They took in some of their neighbors and sheltered them from the chaos that ensued and in turn created a very traditional culture devoted to the reverence of Hawaiian gods- beliefs that were repressed Pre-war. So the tribes today, third or second generation in... are a mixture of races but with a deliberate fear of all things technological. It hasn't been enough time to pass for them to be banging rocks together, but they would destroy a suit of power armor rather than let one of their own people be tempted to use it as a tool of oppression. Some pragmatism remains- like the use of firearms, no doubt.

I think if I had to emphasize a theme for this game, it would be... Genetics. Not literally, but figuratively. The things that we pass on down to our children- or to the next generation in particular. It's not completely hammered out in my brain, but I think one of the main conflicts will be about groups or individuals ensuring that their genes, both physical DNA and metaphorical philosophy... is passed onto the next generation. I am dancing around the issue, because there is a semi-big spoiler that I wish only the outsiders to know. ;)

As for the Vault separating into mini-clans.. I like that idea. With the absolution of the nuclear family and the relatively narrow generational gap (Your parents are likely only 20 years older than you, at most... this makes Kassey LeHane a second-gen vault dweller, which is perfect- her oldest child could be anywhere from seven to thirteen), the social structure is more focused around one's peers than one's parents. Kassey could likely have been assigned to carry the children of couples who belonged to a clan (fixers, mixers, or growers, as it were. :P) that was understrength.

TheGlyphstone

That is a big change, yeah - the Vaults were supposed to last 200 years (officially), so if our Overseer is deciding to open up after only 53, there must be a really, really good reason to do it.

Personally, I'd rather it be at least a hundred years if we're going for the premature voluntary opening, to eliminate exactly the possibility of people living in the vault who remember the pre-war days, even as elders. One of Fallout's big themes is that almost no one really remembers life before the bombs (barring the odd ghoul or anomalies like Mr House), and any attempt to replicate or re-create it ends up being imperfect at best.

On the other hand, the idea of 88's scientific ideal being an exploration of Lamarckian genetics vs. Mendellian genetics/nature vs. nurture is a great one, and very 50's.

craeric

any feedback on my idea?  should I write him/her up more? 

Kiric Rand

Well this has caught my eye
[Floatright]
[/float]
Guardian of Lynnie's heart
-My inbox is sort.of like 7-11. It's not always doing business, but it's always open.-
Flying High or Falling Fast (O/Os)My Ideas! A/A updated 2/11/15

Inerrant Lust

I'd have to know more, craeric, but that certainly is feasible. A lot of raiders live on the west side of the island, I think- while the southern edge is mostly contested by the two warring factions. North shore might have some neutral non-raider communities, while the jungly center of the island is mostly tribal. :P

As an aside, Vault 88 is located near the dole plantation in the center of the island. So you can go south and pursue the 'main quest' between the two factions, west into raider territory, north to some settlements, or east into tribal territory. Trying to kind of format this like one of the games. :P

Also, the overseer isn't opening up the main door. He/she is only letting 1 or 2 dwellers out via a secret entrance to figure who or what was trying to get inside the main door. Their first leg of the journey will be making the short jaunt from the side entrance to the main entrance and then we'll go from there. It's sort of like a Vault 13 situation.

I'm of the belief that the first generation of vault dwellers were teenagers at the time the bombs dropped and don't talk much about their life before then. 4/5ths of their life has been in the vault and that's been spent in a weird vault culture of its own. Outside of the vaults, pre-war survivors will be very rare. The first big deluge of chemical weapons lingered around for long enough to shorten their lifespans, but it all settled down by the time they started to have kids. Not to mention all the radiation and FEV that was dispersed through the air from the rest of the world. So the first generation's lifespan was drastically shortened, but their kids came out relatively unaffected.

Most people you meet will have stories from their parents and sometimes grandparents about the war... but that's it. If anything, they'll be trying even harder to recreate the old life because it wasn't so far removed from their own... while still horribly botching it because all they have to go off of is the mangled stories that their parents/grandparents said while addled with the side-effects of radiation and biological weapons.

Mirsellus

You appear to still be looking so here is my submission

Name: Julie Ygdrimoor
Concept: The oddity, thought to be Asexual, never returning advances,
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
when in truth she's Sexual Masochistic... or can only be aroused when owned.
History: Julie was born and raised in Vault 88. What makes it odd is despite being one of the mutant walking aphrodisiac, she appears to be asexual. Growing up she never lost the 'Eww' factor that most of her peers soon grew out of. At first she was just thought to be a late bloomer, but as she hit and passed through puberty people began to grow concerned. Up until the age of 14 she was a fairly smart and popular girl, but all that changed a year of so after her last peer left her.

The others her age ostracised her, she tried hard to please them and become 'normal' but it was not to be. Kissing made her visibly shiver, and the one time she force herself to get more intimate she ended up running and hiding in the lower maintenance level for months. Eventually the Overseer and several of the doctors were called in, but they were confused, they had to declare her to be 'Untouchable.' She was placed in the lower levels, as a repair technician, destined to be alone, not even her family would spend more than a few minutes with her. The only time she talked to people was when they wanted her outsider advice, as she was never tied up in their conflicts.

When it was decided that several dwellers would have to brave the perils of the surface to find out who was trying to enter the vault, it was decided that this would be a good way to get rid of Julie and make way for a more preferable dweller. In private the Overseer berated her, planning to get her to flee once the mission was complete.

What Makes You S.P.E.C.I.A.L.?
Attributes (New Vegas(40) / Fallout 4(28))
2 / 2 Strength
7 / 5 Perception
3 / 3 Endurance
5 / 3 Charisma
10 / 6 Intelligence
8 / 5 Agility
5 / 4 Luck
Eclipse Phase is my all time favourite setting... best bit for all you is the rulebook is free.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Inerrant Lust on November 29, 2015, 09:47:42 PM
I'd have to know more, craeric, but that certainly is feasible. A lot of raiders live on the west side of the island, I think- while the southern edge is mostly contested by the two warring factions. North shore might have some neutral non-raider communities, while the jungly center of the island is mostly tribal. :P

As an aside, Vault 88 is located near the dole plantation in the center of the island. So you can go south and pursue the 'main quest' between the two factions, west into raider territory, north to some settlements, or east into tribal territory. Trying to kind of format this like one of the games. :P

Also, the overseer isn't opening up the main door. He/she is only letting 1 or 2 dwellers out via a secret entrance to figure who or what was trying to get inside the main door. Their first leg of the journey will be making the short jaunt from the side entrance to the main entrance and then we'll go from there. It's sort of like a Vault 13 situation.

I'm of the belief that the first generation of vault dwellers were teenagers at the time the bombs dropped and don't talk much about their life before then. 4/5ths of their life has been in the vault and that's been spent in a weird vault culture of its own. Outside of the vaults, pre-war survivors will be very rare. The first big deluge of chemical weapons lingered around for long enough to shorten their lifespans, but it all settled down by the time they started to have kids. Not to mention all the radiation and FEV that was dispersed through the air from the rest of the world. So the first generation's lifespan was drastically shortened, but their kids came out relatively unaffected.

Most people you meet will have stories from their parents and sometimes grandparents about the war... but that's it. If anything, they'll be trying even harder to recreate the old life because it wasn't so far removed from their own... while still horribly botching it because all they have to go off of is the mangled stories that their parents/grandparents said while addled with the side-effects of radiation and biological weapons.

Alright, that makes a lot more sense. I'm definitely going to make a young member of the Fixers then.

As far as micro-tribes go...

Fixers = mechanics and craftsmen
Mixers = doctors and chemists
Growers = farmers
Enforcers = security?

Any other ideas? We are limited to a population of 1000, so there's a limit on how many viably sized subgroups we'd have.

Inerrant Lust

Well now I'm in the awkward position of having too many people applying. :P

I'll have to narrow it down, maybe. My original intention was 1-2 vault dwellers and 1-2 outsiders. It might take me a while to come to agreement with myself over who to pick. I make these choices based off of the player's viability for staying with the game, how well I think the party will work together, and just how interesting the character might be in play.

I'm quite fine with accommodating a variety of kinks, too.

So, if you've posted interest in the game- keep hammering out your idea over the next few days while I ruminate over things. How does a Friday deadline sound?