Looking to Put Together a Mature, System Based, Game Group.

Started by HarleyGirl, September 15, 2015, 01:32:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarleyGirl

I’m looking to put together a group of like minded people to tell stories in various system settings, with one or two clear GM’s. One that more closely resembles what you would find with an in person tabletop game group, where shared philosophies and friendships are more important than what game we are playing.

To that end I’m looking for people who:

• Take roleplaying seriously, are respectful of their fellow member’s time, and won’t bugger off part way through the story or after 2 posts.

Keep the lines of communication open. Life happens, sometimes the week is just hectic and you can’t post, all I ask is that you take 2 minutes and let us know. If it is occasional this is completely understandable, but if you have the kind of life that is constantly hectic then this is not the group for you.

Let the GM know if you aren’t feeling the game in some way, most things can be worked through.

Have GM’d before and/or would be willing to GM. GM’s tend to know the work that goes into a game and are more respectful players as a result.

Would like a long term group and on-going, in depth games.

Can post at least once per week.

Like to write a few paragraphs whenever possible, but need not be Shakespearean writers so long as you are willing to work on your writing skills as you go.

Take a cooperative view of the game. The aim is to tell a cool story, be true to your character, and the world, to the best of your ability, and have fun. That is how you win the rpg. There is no need for an adversarial relationship with the GM or Players.

Can separate the actions of a character from the actions of the Player. So if one character backstabs another you don’t take it out on the Player.

Abide by the 12th Commandment. Thou shalt not meta game.

As GM’s, do not believe in box canyons and can roll with the character’s ideas and plans when possible. Not saying they need to always succeed but they should be given the chance.

As GM”s, use character backgrounds, merits, and flaws, and understand that the characters are special and the stars of the show.

As Players, understand that it is their job to ensure that their characters stay within the group. Temporary rifts are fine and can be quite dramatic but there needs to be some reason to keep things together overall.

Are open to different genres and systems.

Adore powers, over the top elements, and humor along with their gritty drama and seriousness. It makes for a well rounded game.

Aren’t afraid of the dark or sex scenes when appropriate to the story but don’t live there 24/7 either.

As Players, understand that the GM sees a bigger picture when it comes to the given world they are playing in and can roll with what happens in that world even if it may be bad for their character.

Respect each other’s boundaries and ons/offs.

Are on board with helping to build each other up, as storytellers, players, writers, and people.

Don’t believe in character death unless it is discussed beforehand and agreed upon. If the GM tells you it’s a bad idea and you will die if you attempt it and you do it anyway…all bets are off.

If this sounds good to you and you would like to put your hat in to join our group please post below. A list of games you might be willing to GM, as well as what your GM style is like, would be great. This is not a commitment to run a game we are just compiling a list. Once we have a group of committed folks we can start to hash out what possible games we could play.

I, for one, am very hesitant to put the effort in to run a game for just anyone and I know I’m not alone. This is why I am looking to get a group of like minded folks together first, under the theory that such a group will be less likely to just disband or bugger off than ones that are centered around one particular system or game concept.

Questions? Comments? Things you’d like to add to this list?

HarleyGirl’s GM Profile:
In addition to all the preferences I’ve listed above, I personally have a lot of experience with the OWoD, and know VtM like the back of my hand. The world is my own with no character type being off limits. I might also be willing to run CtD, WtA, MtA, HtR, and Silver Age Sentinels (BESM). My plots revolve heavily around the player characters and the backgrounds they have come up with and the more you give me the more you will get back.

Batman4560

AndyZ

It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

eBadger

Very intrigued.  And I agree, the lack of commitment to games here is a bit daunting as a GM.  I have a hard time justifying the effort involved in setting a game up just to have players drop after a half dozen posts. 

I certainly like your list.  Meta gaming I'm not so purely down on - it's helpful to have players who are willing to work with you a bit to help steer the campaign - but I get where you're going with it.  Rotating systems and GMs...eh, haven't done it online before, but if we can keep a crew together that long I'll be thrilled to work through it. 

Games: I'm old school D&D, although I've barely touched 4th ed. and don't know a thing about 5th.  Pathfinder is grouped in there, I think.  I did some old White Wolf stuff - Vampire, Mage, some dabbling in Werewolf, Fey, and Mummy - I'm rusty as hell on it, but for the right game and all that.  Cyberpunk, lots of Cortex, Fate.  A couple fringe games: Oz Dark & Terrible, I'd really love an Unhallowed game someday, I have all the Iron Kingdoms RPG stuff and am pretty well versed on it and I have the Malifaux books as well although I haven't read through them yet.  Probably a few others are lost to memory. 

I like the notion of plots revolving around characters, but in practice that's difficult to do; usually I'm happy just to work a few things in.  However, I really prefer character driven stories: my adventures are usually a clear main plot with a well prepared setting that involves a couple twists, and then letting the characters take control of the adventure organically.  In most ways it accomplishes the same goal, but it requires the players to initiate and invent: their long lost sister won't just appear in their path, they're instead given the opportunity to track her down. 

Character-wise, I prefer innovative concepts with bold personalities.  After 30+ years of gaming and reading, the idea of playing stock characters is untenable.  I would much prefer a weak character than a boring one, although I have enough experience that I can usually find a way to make any character useful. 

Muse

Good morning.  I'd love to be part of this group. 

I've run a broad spectrum of games over the years.  I enjoy most classic world of darkness--but not really Vampire. 

Some systems I especialy enjoy running incudle: 
  Anima, Beyond Fantasy
  Dungeons and Dragons (2nd, 3.5, and Pathfinder.)
  Earthdawn
  Exalted
  Seventh Sea
  Star Wars: Saga Edition
  Werewolf 20th Aniversery Edition (I'm very exceited about the upcoming releases of the 20th Aniversery Editiosn of Changeling and Mage.)

Some systems I'm especialy eager to get to know better include: 
  Aeon Trinity
  Dresden Files (and some other Fate Core ideas)
  Hero 6th Edition
  Legend of the Five Rings
  Mutants and Masterminds
  Scion
  Shadowrun (4th and 5th)
  Warhammer Fantasy
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Kolbrandr

Sounds as interesting depending on the spread of games. Would also ideally get around the really sharp die off that setting up games here tends to have even in the set up phase, and also the tendency I've found in online gaming towards.. it's difficult to quite describe, self aggrandizement since you don't know anyone else so it may as well just be all about your character as much as you can make it? Aggressive viewing of any post not catering to you as being part of some intricate effort against the very idea of your playing? Basically that no one really knows or trusts each other, so adversarial becomes the just under the surface default.

Anyway, stuff I'm comfortable to GM in no particular order (the stuff I'd like to play list would be wayyyyyy longer): Pathfinder, Mutants and Masterminds 2e, Fading Suns, Almost everything OWoD (especially Changeling and Vampire) that's not werewolf or werewolf adjacent, Aberrant, Trinity, Adventure!,  the Song of Ice and Fire rpg from Green Ronin.

My GMing style? I like to run for more developed/capable characters while encouraging creating a fuller depth of backstory to go along with such capacity, it gives me more room to play around with scale of narrative and hooks to work in, so rarely if ever when I run will people be starting characters of whatever system we are using. I like taking characters provided and building big ol sweeping plot arcs with them, I tend not to run more one off things or limited goal/limited arc stuff, I like to at least try for the greater sweep of a campaign. I'm not really thrilled by stuff like intensive character optimization, it's part of why I hand out more points/levels in a "you don't need to" sort of way.

A caveat with that said; I'm already running a game on ell, finally, after several disappointingly abortive tries, and what amounts to another game online in real time (Changeling the Dreaming in that case). It would be nice to play in something for a change. I think the only thing that would get me running something else would be a shot at finally getting to run an elder vampire game, something I've wanted to do for a while now.

HarleyGirl

Thank you for the replies so far everyone.  ;D

So yeah, I’m looking to create a group where we all agree to do everything we can to make the game a success and eliminate the looming threat of it ending that lingers all too often just on the horizon. Energy that would have been spent worrying about if the game will fizzle out or not can be spent where it should be, on creativity and posts.  O8)

I am a huge Dresden fan but haven’t played the RPG yet. Though I pledge to play anything the group decides and dive in with my A game. And if I end up running I always come fully loaded....and fully functioning?...?  :o

So far it looks like we have a core group of folks and I think this can definitely work so long as we decide that it will. So put on your stubborn face.

I'm going to keep this thread open for a bit before we start work on the logistics and details. Shiney?

Beorning

Hi there!

I could try taking part in this group :)

Games-wise, there are two things I'm very comfortable with: Call of Cthulhu, anything GURPS and various NWoD games. I have a metric ton of GURPS books, so I can play in almost anything using this rules set. As for NWoD, I have the core rulebook and some supplements, as well Vampire, Mage, Hunter and Changeling, also with a ton of supplements.

Aside from that, I have Call of Cthulhu, Witchcraft, Mutants & Masterminds 2E, Warhammer 40K games: Dark Heresy 2E and Black Crusade and, finally, Numenera!

wander

I'm up for this. :)

Here's my own list of RPGs that I own;

Adeptus Evangelion, All Flesh Must Be Eaten, BESM D20 (including the Hellsing supplement), Call of Cthulhu (pre 7th edition), Cthulhutech (I also have the V2 beta playtest), D&D 3.5, Deathwatch, Double Cross, Dungeon World, Eclipse Phase, FATE Core and Accelerated, Firefly, ASOIAF: Game of Thrones edition, Grey Ranks (I really wanna play this), Marvel Heroic Roleplaying, Numenera, Shadowrun 4th edition, The Void, Mongoose Traveller, New World of Darkness (pretty much every line), Worlds in Peril... and Wraith:the Oblivion.

Golden Spider

I am very interested, Althught I have only ever done D&D 5e and hardly at that I am always up to learn
Here are my O/Os: http://bit.ly/1HmHtRE 

I have taken the Oath of the Drake: http://tinyurl.com/ptea68l

Lunais

I've been on the lookout for a Pathfinder game. Tried to get one started up myself, but didn't have much luck. I could also do straight 3.5, but PF is preferred.

eBadger

Quote from: Lunais on September 17, 2015, 12:40:54 AM
I've been on the lookout for a Pathfinder game. Tried to get one started up myself, but didn't have much luck. I could also do straight 3.5, but PF is preferred.

Seconded.  PF is a well known system, in high demand on E, with the convenience of easily a readily accessible, free, living rulebook. 

eternaldarkness

This is a great idea, and I'd love to participate on either end.

As a player, I'm usually fine rolling with anything provided there's no shenanigans. I tend to lose interest swiftly when a GM says 'no' too often - if I'm trying to do something fun and you're putting up roadblocks, I'll just take that as a sign you aren't interested in the kind of play I enjoy and depart. I love action, which doesn't always mean combat. System-wise, I have played a huge variety of systems and love most of them for different reasons. If a game is going to be run with a common, popular system like Pathfinder there has to be something special to make it catch my attention - core only, standard fantasy kitchen sinks won't interest me. A theme and plot that is coherent and engaging without being restrictive is best. Just because you have a ban list a mile long doesn't mean your game is good, and arbitrary banning makes me look sideways at a GM. If you say 'this doesn't fit the setting' and I show a way that it does, you better come back with a more convincing argument. Call me picky, but as a tabletop gamer my time could easily be spent playing an MMO or videogame where there's nobody to answer to, so I love to get exactly what I want, or as close to it as is reasonable. No, I don't care about your carefully-crafted world that you don't want any uppity players to change in any way except the ones you planned on.

Things I'd love to play:
-Pathfinder with Mythic characters and/or Path of War available for pc's (I like the power level cranked up to eleven. Zeroes to heroes is no longer fun to me.)

-13th Age

-NWoD (Anything except Vampire)

-D&D 3.5, 4E or 5E. I love them all for different reasons.

-Legend (rule of cool Legend, not mongoose Legend)

-Dungeon World, especially with non-core playbooks allowed

-Exalted

-Radiance

-Lamentations of the Flame Princess

-Pokémon Tabletop United, one of my all-time favorite rpg's.

-Many others I am probably forgetting

As a GM, I'm much more easygoing. I can run most any genre, though I do tend toward high-powered and fantastical settings with dark themes and light moods. I'll run any of the games I love playing, and I have ideas for any or all of them. I'm a very accommodating GM, more interested in telling a great story than maintaining a specific vision of what a game must be, and if a player has something they want to do I will always do my best to make it possible.

VonDoom

It's still open? Whew, I was afraid I might be too late, had a rather busy week! I'm very interested and OOC communication really is the most important thing to establishing long-term groups, so I'm all for that.

As for me, I'm a long-time player of various games:

oWoD (or cWoD). My mainstay is Vampire, but I'm also a huge fan of Mage, Wraith, Demon and Changeling (provided it's handled as a horror game) . That's not to say I don't enjoy the other lines and I'm also very interested in Kindred of the East but have pretty much given up on ever finding a game.

Pathfinder. I played 3.5 and am passingly familiar with AD&D concepts via Baldur's Gate (I+II) and Planescape: Torment, but after trying Pathfinder I can't really go back, even if 3.5 is still popular. I'd also be willing to give 5e a chance, I hear good things about it, but Pathfinder remains my favorite D&D vehicle unless you go completely rules-lite and focus on the story. Big fan especially of the Planescape setting, but I'd be happy to try out Spelljammer or Ravenloft, which I've never had the opportunity to and while I'm not intimately familiar with them, I have some knowledge of and enjoy Forgotten Realms and Greyhawk.

Das Schwarze Auge/The Dark Eye. A German game that's hugely popular in the German-speaking regions and spawned the … I think it was called 'Realms of Arkania' cRPG trilogy in English as well as the more recent games like 'Eye of Satinav'.

I also briefly played Scion (sadly only, I have all the books), a version of Cyberpunk, 7th Sea, Gurps (ugh, so complicated, keep it away) and probably a few other things I can't recall off hand.

Rules-Lite wise I enjoy:
The Window. It's easy and … well, it's easy and quick to get. That's a good thing, but there's not really much more to be said about it.
Don't Rest Your Head. Only briefly played a version modified for a Corruption of Champions game by Datawych, but it's a very nice system. Rules-lite but still manages well to portray a certain pressure, very good for horror.
Fate Accelerated. Also very nice, very storyteller-y, but it's somewhat difficult to wrap your head around without someone with actual experience in it around to at least give advice. Sadly, I can't boast that, but it's sure to be amazing with the right group and lots of communication.

As for GMing … I can, but generally prefer not to. My main focus is on social interaction, intrigue and such. 'Dungeon crawls' usually don't interest me and I'm not great at explorative narrative. As a player, I also strongly prefer social character interaction over these unless the writing is evocative enough to draw me in and there is some meaning in it -- the 'We're exploring a dungeon because, uh … treasure!' thing never really caught my fancy.

I'm most comfortable on the GM front as -- well, as a consultant/co-GM, I suppose. I used to participate in a couple of highly elaborate chat 'By Night' city simulations (which despite being on a chat platform were at multi-paragraph post writing styles) in which we basically had the 'moderator group' who ran the Primogen Council and also enacted plots, etc., to keep things going.

Well, uh, I guess that's it to begin with. Hello, everyone!
Now this is the Law of the Jungle-
as old and as true as the sky;
And the Wolf that shall keep it may  prosper,
but the Wolf that shall break it must die.

-Rudyard Kipling, "The Law of the Jungle"
O&O

Muse

Ooh, I need to add 7th sea and L5R to my lists.  Will edit. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Batman4560

Forgot to bookmark this!

Lets see. I'm a long time 3.5 player and GM, I run tons of M&M groups and play characters alike. I haven't played Pathfinder but I would love to try, as I would love to try 5th edition. I'm also happy to play any other system the group decides on so take that as you will. :) Either way I'm happy to see what ends up happening.

HairyHeretic

I'd be interested in this.

My favourite systems include Scion, Exalted, and Legend of the Five Rings. Other games I enjoy playing include Black Crusade, Dresden Files, Qin, Star Wars (different editions) and 7th Sea. I've never played Changeling the Dreaming, but I'd like to. Ditto for Into The Far West (if it ever gets released) and Yggdrasil. Lords of Gossamer and Shadow sounds interesting, but I haven't done more than glance at the rules.

I've GMed everything I've listed there in the favourite systems / played games listed at one time or another, and frequently run system games on here, Scion probably being my most common. I'm looking to run a 3rd ed Exalted game once that is released (hopefully sooner rather than later). I enjoy GMing, but I'd like to be able to play too.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

ChaoticSky

Also interested! I'd love to get something persistent going.

Here is my smattering, higher groups are inclusive (if i can run it, then I've obviously played it  ;D ):
Games i am confident enough with to run:
Eclipse Phase
Black Crusade
Dark Heresy 2e

Games Ive played:
Rogue Trader
Only War
Exalted
Nwod 2e
Pathfinder
Numenera

Games i have, but have not played:
Dresden Files RPG
Shadowrun
Call Of Cthulhu 6e

HarleyGirl

Wow! We’ve had a lot more interest than I was originally thinking and I bet if we keep this thread up it will only keep growing. What do you guys think about forming an overarching group, “The League of Extraordinary Gamers” (Or whatever name we decide on), where in order to join you have to pledge to uphold the tenants I put forth in my original post. We can tweak them as needed of course.

Then "League" members would post their game proposals and only other League members would be accepted to play in those games or able to vote on those games. Perhaps the GM could have some discretion over this and allow non-League members in if he/she so chose. Voting would be left open for a week to give everyone a chance to chime in.

Alongside our list of members we would have their GM and Player Profiles and any current Game Proposals they have active. This will increase the chances of folks finding a game they jive with in addition to like minded, mature gamers who want to help make the game a success. We can leave enrollment in the League open indefinitely, even as individual games get filled, adding more potential variety to our mix over time and giving new Elliquiy members who may be in search of a solid, long term, system based game a chance.

Still more logistics to work out but what do you all think? Does this make sense? Is it too complex or just crazy enough to work? Any ideas to add?

Here is an example of what I’m thinking:

Member:

HarleyGirl

GM Profile:
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
My plots revolve heavily around the player characters and the backgrounds they have come up with and the more you give me the more you will get back. Merits, flaws, and NPC’s will be utilized. I run my games democratically; I’m the GM, not God. I have no problem bringing rules disputes up to the entire group if need be and abiding by the group’s consensus.

My games are 100% fluid. Kill the big bad guy in the 1st 15 seconds of the game? I will run through the logic of what would happen within the vacuum left by them and have a new antagonist before too long. Nothing is off limits. We are telling this story together and your character’s actions will have a direct and real impact on the world around them. I know what is going on in my world at the moment the game begins but there are no preconceived notions of how things will turn out.

If you come up with a cool plan I will generally do my best to help it succeed, if not fully than at least partially and realistically. There will be reasons behind everything going on in the world.

I will never kill your character without your consent, but keep in mind that there are fates worse than death and consequences to every action your character does. I can get quite creative, and I expect players to roll with whatever happens to their character.

If it is something that will alter the character significantly we will discuss it beforehand and if you are not on board we can brainstorm something else that would be appropriate.

My games tend toward the horror side of the spectrum, personal and otherwise and they can get quite dark at times, though I do try to maintain a balance and add humor in with regularity as well. We are here to have fun after all. If you can embrace your botches and laugh at them, I just might be the GM for you. ;)

I have experience running in the OWoD and Silver Age Sentinels (BESM).

Player Profile:
The types of characters I will play varies greatly but I have noticed that there is a thread of innocence somewhere in all of them. I like my character to be special to the story and world in some way but have no problem playing a supportive roll for a good long while if that is the direction the story goes. I can and will roll with just about anything a GM throws at me and think botches can make for some of the most memorable moments.

I tend to play my character as they would react in any given moment and leave all expectations of where they should be headed back in their back story. I will always come to the GM or other players if there ever is a problem, either in game or out. Most things can be worked through in short order.

I like characters with flaws to help balance out their powers and merits. It makes playing them a challenge and much more interesting. I go out of my way not to meta-game and am a big fan of intrigue and games where characters may be at cross purposes. That being said I will do everything in my power to keep the characters together in the long term.

Current Game Proposal:
Changeling the Dreaming: Set in banal Detroit Michigan. The Player Characters are fighting for hope amidst a sea of despair. While the characters are Changelings I always take elements from the entire WoD and mix them together. So you may encounter Gangrel, Uktena, and so forth as NPC’s.

Not many Fae manifest in Detroit and those who do are almost always Unseely. But your characters are not tainted by the corruption…yet…or at least not fully. Why is this? Just what makes you so special anyway? Well that would be for the story to decide. This is more geared towards brand new characters but I would be willing to allow one or two grizzled vets as well. We can work out the details if my game gets picked. I’m looking for 4-5 players on this one.

If you do not have the core Changeling Book it is available on Drive Thru RPG or I can borrow you my pdf copy.

eBadger

I love the notion.  I recognize the problem.  But what I'm seeing right now is just a group within a group, without any real qualification that will prevent casuals and drops. 

The first thing needed for any group is a GM and a game.  I'd emphasize the criteria in this thread for filling it (which may help, although I've seen and stressed it before without much luck) and start working from there to put together your group over the course of multiple games. 

Batman4560

Quote from: eBadger on September 18, 2015, 01:00:24 AM
I love the notion.  I recognize the problem.  But what I'm seeing right now is just a group within a group, without any real qualification that will prevent casuals and drops. 

The first thing needed for any group is a GM and a game.  I'd emphasize the criteria in this thread for filling it (which may help, although I've seen and stressed it before without much luck) and start working from there to put together your group over the course of multiple games.

+1.

VonDoom

I'll have to agree with eBadger, starting out that way is just another sub community, not too different from joining a game, which theoretically should also be with the intention of ... well, everything we're trying for here. What I'd try is start things off with a lighter game, try to promote talks and OOC bonding, see who gets along and sticks around.
Now this is the Law of the Jungle-
as old and as true as the sky;
And the Wolf that shall keep it may  prosper,
but the Wolf that shall break it must die.

-Rudyard Kipling, "The Law of the Jungle"
O&O

HarleyGirl

Quote from: eBadger on September 18, 2015, 01:00:24 AM

Yeah that would be part of the logistics and details to be hammered out. The pledge should attract people who are willing to do what it takes to make the game a success. There will, I'm sure, still be some that don't get it and flake out but they will hopefully be few and far between.

The strength of having a "League" of people who are on the same page is that if folks do flake out the consequence could be to be dropped from the group. Over time it would widdle down people who drop out and help to ensure that they don't just go running off to another game to do the same thing. A little bit of insurance for League members as it were.

I realize this is a problem with every game group, online or in person, I'm just trying to brainstorm to find a decent work around. Thanks for your thoughts and please everyone keep them coming! It may be that this won't work at all and that is fine too, it was just a thought.

Kolbrandr

I would normally agree that you're likely to have better results with trying to have the overall framework of a group to build a game around, and just be patient and try to work out building the sort of group you envision to play it, but then again plenty of games on ell die in the setup stage while trying for that, so may as well give building a different way a shot.

With that said as far as the offered game premise in your post, I would sell a relative of your choosing and or kill and or do both to actually play CtD instead of run it for a change! Even if my preference as a player is not to play starting characters.

wander

Okay, well as a GM, I can comfortably run games for Cthulhutech, Dungeon World, Firefly, Grey Ranks and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying. If anyone is interested in playing one of those, please say.

As a player, I love Adeptus Evangelion (anyone up for running it?), Call of Cthulhu, ASOIAF: Game of Thrones edition (the Green Ronin game), Numenera, The Void, Mongoose Traveller, then as far as world of darkness goes, I'd like to play Changeling:the Lost, Geist:the Sin-Eaters and Wraith:the Oblivion. Also all the games I'd listed I'd GM I'd like to play in too. So if any of the above appeals, I'd like to play them the most.