INTEREST CHECK: City of the Drow (3.5) [LOOKING FOR PLAYERS]

Started by Krayz, September 08, 2011, 05:02:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krayz

Quote from: PaleEnchantress on September 09, 2011, 03:59:18 PM
You might consider him 'borderline transgendered" but no he doesn't hide his gender. If you know about female Pharaohs and some other female leaders in patriarchies they would often dress as men and take male titles "Son of Osiris" rather then daughter. It's similar in this case, he is "first daughter" because "first son" is a very different role in a dark elf house. He killed the other daughters that held the position until it was given to him and he held it. He is a matriarch because that's the capacity he acts in, Drow society doesn't have a patriarch and if they did the role would be vastly different.

It makes it a bit easier for the other priestesses to swallow too since their system hasn't changed. The male (Abduxuel is his name) has gained this prestige only by playing the game as a female. Consequently any of the male and female equality factions despise him, as a Vhaerunite might say "Abduxuel Archwinter? One of the most dangerous and terrifying priestesses I've ever seen. Don't mistake him for a potential ally, he is as ruthless as any other matriarch and twice as insane"  Rule wise id even say he meets any "requirement: female" and doesn't meet any "requirement: male".

While I'm really excited about this, if I'm not wanted in your game I understand. I'll be dissipation but do let me know if you're just trying to tell me "buggar off" without sounding harsh.
My big issue is that you're kind of using the wrong example. It's not a case of Pharoahs, where the laws require a man, and so a man is played. You're talking a black man running for governorship of Texas before the American Civil War; this is active disapproval, not some strong social norm that can be twisted. I don't have a problem with you, or your idea, except that it doesn't fit within the context of the society. Males just don't get into the priesthood; once again, show me documentation, and you're in with open arms, but without some evidence it just seems to ignore too much of what this game is meant to emulate. The inbalance between males and females is meant to be a fundamental premise and challenge of the game.

As a side note, the GM is back.

And as for Snake, a point-buy ensures that every character has completely equal stats in terms of amount. WHERE that potential is spent is what differentiates. And 32-point is very high, but remember that we're supposed to be playing the upper echelons of a society that runs on sadomasochism and Darwinism on steroids. We HAVE to be the best of the best to get where we are.

As for the template issue, so long as it's reasonably believable that form of half-drow would be found in the city, I see no reason why not. Take into account the level adjustment (I'm not sure if the drow LA and the template LA add together, might want to be careful with that), and don't pull out some dusty sourcebook  you haven't looked at in a year and go 'what's the most obscure, unimaginable mixture I can come up with?'. A big point to make on the LA is that if your template doesn't give you some extra hit points, and you end up a level 4 character or something like that, remember that even most pure caster drow are going to have better hit points than you are. And better and more powerful spells. It can make a huge (and possibly lethal) difference.

On a final note, will be getting to work on my character ASAP, hope everyone does the same, especially our potential Matrons.

Zaer Darkwail

I myself I am done, just need think where fit my char in exactly. Is he just gifted commoner backgrounded drow who had wealthy enough parents send him best schooling possible for him (as his latent gift in sorcery surfaced first and then he studied become wizard). Or is he first or second son of some house but who lives mostly in mage academy tower and focus on schemes of other wizards.

Also indeed Krayz advice is wise, as any heavy LA backfires in higher levels and usually only figther types are suitable for it. But considering we start effectively 14th level char but because drow LA we have 12 class levels. So half-dragon would be 9th level char so it can still work with either caster or figther type (difference most being that any drow who is 12th level caster knows one level higher spells than you).

But if you go half-drow half-dragon then you start as 11th level char.

Snake

half dragons can make up for it with the right feats. namely "dragon breath" from Races of Dragosn that let's you release breath weapons as a dragon does instead of once a day (every 1d4 rounds)

Zaer Darkwail

True, that is sort nice firepower against critters and soften up several foes. But one breath weapon helps only so far once you face foe who's immune or highly resistant for it. So as half-dragon your good to think with your muscles ;).

Example half-dragon sorcerer could be few sorcerers know tenser's transformation example. Or ways buff their close combat prowess (enlarge person) and use big weapons (master's touch allows use any weapon and skilled enchant gives you a cleric's BAB when using the weapon besides profiency). Also there is dozen arcane spells to modify your breath weapon (one turned it level drain breath...nasty).

Snake

use feats to build up teh dragon part and something like hexblade to build up magical resistances :3 And I know all about them too *nod nod* going with Deepwyrn half-drow isnt' a fu ll drow but gains some powers like detect magic 3/day and something else 1/day as spell like abilities plus the half-dragon bonuses.

AngelicBlade

I enjoy playing as a blacksmith or Guard/soldier type of character.

PaleEnchantress

There are no examples of male matriarchs, it was my own desire and concept of how it could work out. I will look elsewhere for this, good luck then all.
" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: AngelicBlade on September 12, 2011, 07:47:02 PM
I enjoy playing as a blacksmith or Guard/soldier type of character.

Then let's create such char :). The figther would be excellent choice for being a blacksmith/guard char with right feat choices. By GM's approval I could give you levels in PrC which allows you create magic weapons without being a spellcaster (that being Battlesmith from Races of Stone, usually a dwarven race restricted PrC but features could fit to any front line figthing smith who has keen lore how use items which he/she creates in forge).

So either it is drow figther 12 or drow figther 7/battlesmith 5.

Krayz

Just need to quickly mention that WE NEED MATRONS!

Zaer Darkwail

Indeed  :-\. A surprising lack of matrons.

Snake

So If I make a half-drow instead I get to start at lvl 14? cool!

Zaer Darkwail

Well, as half-drow your treated lowest low and are likely a slave. But up to Krayz to decide on that does he allow non-template half-drows run around.

Snake

Most half-drow are ignored or dumped in an orphanage. only thouse who actually show they have something that maeks them stand out (like spellfire for example. a template or a couple prestige classes like Tempest or Exemplar.)

Zaer Darkwail

True, half-drows are unwanted bastard children resulting from either from rape or hedonistic drow female who got pregnant from half-drow or half-elf or some other odd experiment and then they are dumped to orphanage. Also true drows pressure more on prowess and might and recognize it but they do still disdain your presence but just politely does it if your powerful.

Snake

Unless you slap Lolth in the face and covertly worship Ellistraee in hope sof a better life.

esclavage

As with the other thread, I will put forth a tentative interest for one of the Matron roles.  Hopefully that will also generate some interest for others.  However, a few major caveats I feel to put forth from the onset.

1) To me, the posting rate of 3x a day seems murderous to me.  Realistically, my rate is about once every dayor once every two days.  Because I realize slow post rates are deadly for group games, I would allow the GM to control my character as he sees fit to move the story along.

2) I like the idea of a system.  And I have some familiarity with D&D 3.5, but I would like to see more concrete rules on House creation.  Right now, all I have for a Matron is a 12th character with two bonus feats.  Some more direction, please.  I know that I would like for my Matron be more focused on politics than combat, so high Cha and Int and if anyone knows a good way to make a cleric/rogue combo viable please let me know. 

3) With a Matron, there will actually need to be a House.  With house members.  So it seems more viable if we want House wars, to create the Matrons and then have joining players pick a side to be allied with.  Or pull a Bregan Daerthe and be neutral players who go where the money is.

I saw pale kings and princes too // Pale warriors, death-pale were they all;
They cried—“La Belle Dame sans Merci hath thee in thrall!”  -- John Keats, 1884 

Writing Drabbles - Sampler Platter
Plot Ideas -  Darkstalkers, League of Legends, Drow, X-Men, Avengers, Pokemon!!!
Posting Order -  Check Here If You Write With Me!

ulthakptah

Now that I know this is a system game I'm interested. I was thinking something roguish, or maybe an arcane trickster. I'm not all to concerned with being higher on the cast system. I don't like leadership roles, so I'm going to be male.

What all characters concepts have been put forth so far? I think there is only one female. Is this game going to turn into a bunch of male drow who overthrow the matriarchy or something?

Edit: you might get more looks if you change the subject to advertise it being a 3.5 game. I know I passed this game over until Zaer mentioned it.

Krayz

I do indeed want to set up some more concrete rules on setting up Houses. And I posted that off the cuff, esclavage. I honestly just plan on seeing how things move along, and going from there.

I'm sure if I can't help you, Zaer'll be more than willing.

The unfortunate fact is that I haven't had a spare moment since last Friday. I was camping, and now I'm attending university full time; there was even a fire in my house yesterday >_< But when I have some spare time, I'm seriously going to be getting more on top of things with this. I'll probably have a lot more free time come tomorrow, because it's only a half day of class. But Mondays and Tuesdays really are just MURDER for me, this semester.

Zaer Darkwail

Idea of this game is to get bunch of players to act in drow city which has (hopefully) mostly players doing stuff and other players interacting with it. Idea was that there is less houses but in return they are stronger and have more influence around.

I advertised this game to few friends what I have and hope get players, as thread title indeed is missleading when first pages give image for freeform.

Quote from: esclavage on September 13, 2011, 01:19:03 PM
As with the other thread, I will put forth a tentative interest for one of the Matron roles.  Hopefully that will also generate some interest for others.  However, a few major caveats I feel to put forth from the onset.

1) To me, the posting rate of 3x a day seems murderous to me.  Realistically, my rate is about once every dayor once every two days.  Because I realize slow post rates are deadly for group games, I would allow the GM to control my character as he sees fit to move the story along.

It sounds ok that GM controls char as needed so you can post once per day. It should be enough to me at least.

2) I like the idea of a system.  And I have some familiarity with D&D 3.5, but I would like to see more concrete rules on House creation.  Right now, all I have for a Matron is a 12th character with two bonus feats.  Some more direction, please.  I know that I would like for my Matron be more focused on politics than combat, so high Cha and Int and if anyone knows a good way to make a cleric/rogue combo viable please let me know.

All matron mother needs to have half of their levels as cleric and fill rest as they see it. If wanting go cleric/rogue can work if your Eye of Lolth, kind of church trained information gatherer for name of Lolth (so you would act much as spy mistress who leads dozen spies in cities and can do divination's also to get edge in politics through knowing stuff).

We could loosen the rules so that half of matron's levels must have divine spellcaster levels. Meaning a paladin of slaughter 12th level would qualify (as it's treated to have 1/2 class level a CL) as would cleric 3/rogue 4/Eye of Lolth 4 example. As would favored soul of Lolth 6-12. Heck, even fighter 6/blackguard 6 would work also. However idea is that each matron has solid six divine caster levels in one class or other. Druid would not work because altough druids can revere Lolth they are mostly uncivilsized lot and more concerned by underdark than drow city politics or leading drow.

If you want more guidelines then I can help with char generation itself and give tips and ideas how to accomplish it.

3) With a Matron, there will actually need to be a House.  With house members.  So it seems more viable if we want House wars, to create the Matrons and then have joining players pick a side to be allied with.  Or pull a Bregan Daerthe and be neutral players who go where the money is.

Aye, that's one ideas. Once players chars have been submitted they can choose which house they want to go. Or go more fairer the matrons roll who starts pick first and they pick from among non-matron chars members to their house (members which have told they want to be part of a house).

ulthakptah

I missed that last part. "Sacred Outlaw" from dragon magazine 357 is a feat for rogues and clerics. It requires 2d6 sneak attack and the ability to turn or rebuke undead. What it does is add your levels of cleric to your levels of rogue to determine what your your turning level is, and how many sneak attack dice you get.

esclavage

Thanks to Zaer who I have PMed for advice and ulthakptah for his suggestion.  I am thinking right now of a Cleric 3/Rogue 3/Eye of Lolth 6 for my Matron.  However, I did want to check with Krayz that was acceptable before I do that.  Otherwise, I will go in the direction of a cleric/rogue combo without the prestige class if all Matrons need Cleric 6 instead of 6 divine spellcaster levels.

And I was told there was a 3.0 supplement called the Stronghold's Builder which I will begin to look at for constructing the House.  All of this later in the evening, of course.  Though my current concept of the House is whose primary speciality are information gatherers amd assassins.  Operate from the shadows even by Drow standards since all Drow technically behave in this way.  So I rank things in this way: 1) Info and assassins 2) Priestesses 3) Fighters 4) Wizards and Sorcs.  This is not to say that there cannot be high level fighters and sorcs in the House.  This is simply indicating there may only be one high level fighter or sorc, high level rogues and rogue-like classes will have more in terms of numbers.

And a potential plot point or point of conflict I am tossing out on the table is the recent discovery of a precious metal/gemstone vein representing a large amount of wealth for the House.  And the danger could come in two directions.  Outside House envy which could involve raids on the caravans transporting said goods and in House anger since I plan on my Matron to spend it ICly on things like beautifying the house instead of hiring/training more fighters to protect themselves and the newfound wealth.

Really hoping this spurs someone's interest to be a first daughter in the House who feels as if her Mother is out of touch with the current climate.   ;D. After all, the interplay of House politics is where the fun of the drow are.

I saw pale kings and princes too // Pale warriors, death-pale were they all;
They cried—“La Belle Dame sans Merci hath thee in thrall!”  -- John Keats, 1884 

Writing Drabbles - Sampler Platter
Plot Ideas -  Darkstalkers, League of Legends, Drow, X-Men, Avengers, Pokemon!!!
Posting Order -  Check Here If You Write With Me!

Krayz

It's a great combination, esclavage :) As far as I'm concerned, a priestess needs to be a divine caster, not necessarily a cleric (sans druids and the like, of course). And depending on what else shows up, I may have a caster character for your House; a dread necromancer. It kind of fits with the dark nature of the House, so if nothing better comes along, there's that possibility :)

Snake

Can we pitch char ideas here for base review if we need help? If so I have one

Drow Ranger/fighter/Dread Commando (think Drow Rambo? haha)

With a companion from the Dragon Magic supplement : a dire Phinxkin basically a draconic panther of sorts. They get alot of abilities that make them friends with everyone else like wha tamounts to improved intiative for all allies with 30' XD

Krayz

Snake