Need help with anti-virus update (update)

Started by Oniya, April 24, 2009, 08:49:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

And frankly, the techie people over here are friendlier than on the AV forums.

There is something on the computers at my house that is blocking my access to Malwarebytes.org, resulting in an inability for any of us to update the software and clear out the thing that's blocking our access.

What I would like to try is having someone on the outside download the update file and email it to me.  If someone is willing to do this, please PM me.

http://www.gt500.org/malwarebytes/database.jsp

UPDATE:  Turns out that the root version of the program I was able to get (Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware v. 1.26) was an old one, and doesn't support the new database.  I'll be messaging Veks this afternoon and hopefully getting this straightened out (and then go through about three hours of thorough scans)   :P
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

The Dark Raven

Also...have you tried starting up in safe mode and going to the net?

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

Vekseid

You will also want roguefix and maybe Combofix.

I'll be out this afternoon but feel free to IM me later tonight and I can send you a package.

Oniya

Much appreciated.  Maeven tried to email it to me, but gmail wouldn't let her send an executable, apparently.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Lilias

I've found that if the file is zipped, mostly any email client will let the package through. Maybe retry?
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Maeven

I tried that too...

Then it said that my zip file contained executable code and that I fail. 

Gmail 2 Maeven 0
What a wicked game to play, to make me feel this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to let me dream of you.
What a wicked thing to say, you never felt this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to make me dream of you. 

The Cardinal Rule

Oniya

Not sure how it tells, but I'll be taking Veks up on his offer and going from there.

The Golden Touch

Oniya, I can try... We might be able to do it without going to Veks.  Will a hotmail account work?

"Yesterday was the easy day."
Ideas (Open) /What Floats My Boat\ Absences

Oniya

Fine by me - I'll PM you in half a sec.

Oniya

Quote from: daylily on April 24, 2009, 08:58:13 AM
Also...have you tried starting up in safe mode and going to the net?

Tried that just now, and www.malwarebytes.org is still blocked to me.

The Golden Touch

I'm sorry it did not work, Oniya. -flails and kicks hotmail-

Oniya

Not your fault at all.  The file downloaded and installed properly - I just had a 2008 version of the software from some site that the malware hadn't blocked - which doesn't support the new database.

The Golden Touch

-Shrugs- I attempted.  I hope it works! If not... Kick it!  >>  <<;  Good luck, Oniya. ^ ^

Oniya

That would make it a hardware problem.   ;D
If you can kick it/throw it across the room, it's hardware.
If all you can do is swear at it, it's software. - Tech support maxim.

The Golden Touch

Nessy

Quote from: Maeven on April 24, 2009, 09:45:22 AM
I tried that too...

Then it said that my zip file contained executable code and that I fail. 

Gmail 2 Maeven 0

For lack of a better technical term for it, gmail searches .zip and other other compressed formats for .exe files within which it doesn't allow to be sent through its service. What I do to get around that is rename all the .exe files to something like .renamed, zip it myself and send the file or if its a single file, send it that way. Unfortunately, I am cheap and my compression ability is rather limited as I haven't found a free program that gives much compression for me.
Ons and Offs    Short Term Ideas,
Misc. Long Term Ideas

If you send me a PM and I don't respond, chances are I just missed it. Send it again!

Some heroes don't wear capes. Some just #holdthedoor.

Oniya

Further update.  M-BAM downloaded and updated, thanks to what Veks sent me.  It found a suspicious registry entry (Security.Disabled, or something close to that) which I had it remove.  Rogue.Bat found a suspicious temp file, which it deleted just fine, after a reboot.  Haven't run the ComboFix yet, but Firefox still can't access the Malwarebytes.org site.

I've been assured that the site is not, in fact, down, which would be what I would have been suspecting after all this rigmarole.

Doomsday

I had that virus once... Isn't it the one that turns every google link into adware?

Oniya

Haven't noticed that, and I use Google quite frequently.

Doomsday

Quote from: Oniya on April 25, 2009, 12:40:43 AM
Haven't noticed that, and I use Google quite frequently.

Yeah, it was hella annoying, wouldn't let me download MBAM, wouldn't let me google at all... Wouldn't even let me execute the MBAM installer. I don't remember how I got rid of it, I'm just glad I did.

Oniya

Okay, we now have a prime suspect for the source of the virus.

Of the three computers in the house that are networked, I've been able to run M-BAM and successfully clean infected files from two of them.  The third will let me install M-BAM, but not launch it.  Ironically, it's our roommate's computer, and he's always saying how bad-ass his firewall is. 

I've disconnected him from the LAN, and he's not getting back on until I *see* a clean log from him.   >:(  (I may hide the network cable, just to make sure he doesn't get on while somebody is asleep.)

Xillen

Virusscanners and Firewalls are 2 completely different things. If you're running a Firewall, but not a Virusscanner, you're still prone to viruses. It could be that the Firewall prevents the virus from performing certain actions, but that's about it.

Perhaps you could let the roommate share his harddisks with you, and let a remote computer scan his harddisk.

Oniya

I'll have to wait until he gets home after 10 tonight to do that - assuming that he doesn't go straight to bed.  Of course, if that happens, I might go in and try to do that myself.

Even though I worked as a computer tech for many years, I've done my best to not poke my nose into other people's machines uninvited.  I am serious about keeping the other two machines secure, and over the many years that my husband and I have been online, we've never had a serious infection thanks to our on-board virus protection.  If this means that I have to put on my 'intimidating' aura, so be it.

Oniya

Quote from: HPDDJ on April 25, 2009, 12:22:13 AM
I had that virus once... Isn't it the one that turns every google link into adware?

Come to think about it, when I was trying to download M-BAM on the roommate's machine (i.e., before posting here for help), everything seemed to come up ads. 

*has now had enough caffeine for brain to function*

Oniya

Hopefully the final update - found about six registry errors and an infected file on the roomie's machine (and that his firewall has been unsupported and unupdated for a month, thanks to IBM's Black Ice going belly up).  Everyone is going to re-scan machines tomorrow morning to make sure that nothing has crept back in.