Looking for Curse of Strahd (D&D 5.0)

Started by Roleplay Frog, September 09, 2018, 02:21:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LisztesFerenc

Does it have to be Curse of Strahd, or is Expedition to Castle Ravenloft converted to 5th ed also good? It is different from the 5th edition game, its doesn't take place on the Ravenloft demiplane for one, but it is still gothicy vampire goodness if that's what chiefly draw you to it.

Roleplay Frog

Quote from: LisztesFerenc on February 19, 2019, 01:27:42 PM
  Does it have to be Curse of Strahd, or is Expedition to Castle Ravenloft converted to 5th ed also good? It is different from the 5th edition game, its doesn't take place on the Ravenloft demiplane for one, but it is still gothicy vampire goodness if that's what chiefly draw you to it.

I mean, I for one am definitly not Hyper-attached to the details of the setting, I'm fine with exactly that gothic vampire goodness you mention. *nodnod* What I like is a sense of dark fantasy danger mingling with actual storytelling mingling with kinky-romantic erotica.

I've actually heard 'classical' Ravenloft players complain about details of the curse before, and it'd be neat to play a campaign where I don't know the beginning. (I dun know the end, ofc, but played through 'you arrive through the mists, here's' Barovia Village a half dozen times, each time with the campaign dying quickly. grrr.)

I take it you'd consider DMing in that case?

LisztesFerenc

Yeah I would DM. Expedition to Castle Ravenloft starts with letters requesting your aid in the village of Boravia. A Vistani is the one who delivers it to you, so if Kathyan is playing one, that could be how your characters are introduced, which would also allow you to start with more knowledge of what you are walking into than it normally presumed, which could be advantageous.

Roleplay Frog

I kinda dislike the whole 'where am we? Is this mists? Why is place so different?' So that's a good thing *nodnods*

Wanna recruit here or in the other thread? Two players you got for sure already. Yey! Perhaps I can think of someone else to lure here whilest at it...

LisztesFerenc

I'll see how many people mention something her over the next day or two, then if we're still shy of a full gorup I'll post a thread for other players.

Aenon

:o The Frog very subtly lured me here...I am also interested. I haven't played the CoS yet, which is very wierd considering how long I have been playing D&D. Perhaps it is time to change that.

LisztesFerenc

The Frog can be tricksy like that, you need to be careful. This game is looking to be Expedition to Castle Ravenloft rather than Curse of Strahd, but they both have a fog shrouded realm, a castle and an arrogant vampire lord, so its largely the same.

Roleplay Frog

LisztesFerenc

I assume if that were a giff the frog would be drumming their fingers together?

What do we want for starting level? Expedition assumed that you were already quite expirienced adventurers, starting you off at level 6. I can scale that down if its too high.

Roleplay Frog

-Do note that requesting or not, I'm only talking for myself-

Errr.. let's roll it back a step, we are using 5.0, right? Not pathfinder etc? Just to make sure. Anywhooo!

I dun mind/Can do higher levels, honestly, you basically trade a more complicated character build for something you dun get to do as often, higher-ish leveled characters.

As I hinted towards Kath, not entirely sure on the character as of yet, I might fill whatever we need (I mean, you can never trust in everyone sticking around to the end, but.. optimism!)

LisztesFerenc

Yeah, 5th edition, starting level 6. Pretty standard adventuring world, not the Ravenloft demiplane. You will likely know eachother but that is not compolsory, you could have been adventuring in another group or solo prior to the game opening. If Kathyan goes with her Vistani character, she might be new to the group, but it could also be worked out that you've met before. Does that sound good to everyone so far?

Aenon

Yeah, I don't mind levels, and it isn't like 5e builds are hard to do  :P

But I have no idea what Kathyan's and Frogs chars are...I wasn't in that previous game  ::) I can also do whatever is needed.

GunmetalDreamer

I heard someone say Vampire Slaying and came over right away.  What've we got, what do we need?

Edit:  Did a little digging, I think I found the characters in question:

Roleplay FrogAlexander Gravenholme (Human Fighter Battlemaster)
KathyanLudovika Janika (Human Bard from the School of Whispers)

Personally leaning towards a Ranger (Monster Hunter), though I'm balancing that gut check against a full-caster of some sort.

Edit2:  I'm experiencing a fit of madness.  What're the odds that I can use the Vampire race from Planeshift: Ixalan?  Some Vampire Hunter D/Blade-style shenanigans sound fun ...

Roleplay Frog

I mean, I can run casters too, although I prefer sticking to a theme to not be too crazy powerful.
WHAT DO YOU WANT OF THE FROG?!?

Also.. A vampire huh? *molests!*

Aenon

Should I be a cleric, or they are banned? I heard there are some restrictions on divine casters (?)

Roleplay Frog

Ravenloft has ways of messing with clerics, but we are not technically in Ravenloft, so it should be fine, naturally up to the DM. That said, even in Ravenloft clerical casting is possible.

LisztesFerenc

Quote from: Aenon on February 20, 2019, 07:35:40 AM
Should I be a cleric, or they are banned? I heard there are some restrictions on divine casters (?)

Clerics are fine.

Quote from: GunmetalDreamer on February 19, 2019, 10:11:22 PMEdit2:  I'm experiencing a fit of madness.  What're the odds that I can use the Vampire race from Planeshift: Ixalan?  Some Vampire Hunter D/Blade-style shenanigans sound fun ...

With a few changes, yes:

1. Name becomes dhampir, the result of a union between a human and vampire.

2. Instead of being unaging, a dhampir ages like an elf, but without an established society they don't have a ceremony for adulthood.

3. Bloodthirst only heals you up to half health, you do not regain hitpoints beyond that. The targets maximum hitpoints can still be reduced, and you still benefit from Feast of Blood.

That work?

Kathyan

Quote from: LisztesFerenc on February 19, 2019, 04:30:01 PM
  Yeah I would DM. Expedition to Castle Ravenloft starts with letters requesting your aid in the village of Boravia. A Vistani is the one who delivers it to you, so if Kathyan is playing one, that could be how your characters are introduced, which would also allow you to start with more knowledge of what you are walking into than it normally presumed, which could be advantageous.
I'm ok with playing Expedition to castle ravenloft as well and haven't really played much published adventures I haven't tried this one not a single time. Being the one that brings the letter to the group sounds good.

Quote from: LisztesFerenc on February 19, 2019, 05:46:10 PM
  The Frog can be tricksy like that, you need to be careful. This game is looking to be Expedition to Castle Ravenloft rather than Curse of Strahd, but they both have a fog shrouded realm, a castle and an arrogant vampire lord, so its largely the same.
Tricksy Frog from a frog shrouded realm. :P

Quote from: LisztesFerenc on February 19, 2019, 06:16:32 PM
  Yeah, 5th edition, starting level 6. Pretty standard adventuring world, not the Ravenloft demiplane. You will likely know eachother but that is not compolsory, you could have been adventuring in another group or solo prior to the game opening. If Kathyan goes with her Vistani character, she might be new to the group, but it could also be worked out that you've met before. Does that sound good to everyone so far?
Level 6 is fine with me too although if it would be on standard adventuring world vistani would be pretty unknown and unheard of, right? I ask because there would little sense in playing one in that case and I might go with a human or another race instead. By the way if playing a vistani Ludovika could be disguised as a human and still know some of the others.

Quote from: GunmetalDreamer on February 19, 2019, 10:11:22 PM

I heard someone say Vampire Slaying and came over right away.  What've we got, what do we need?

Edit:  Did a little digging, I think I found the characters in question:

Roleplay FrogAlexander Gravenholme (Human Fighter Battlemaster)
KathyanLudovika Janika (Human Bard from the School of Whispers)

Personally leaning towards a Ranger (Monster Hunter), though I'm balancing that gut check against a full-caster of some sort.

Edit2:  I'm experiencing a fit of madness.  What're the odds that I can use the Vampire race from Planeshift: Ixalan?  Some Vampire Hunter D/Blade-style shenanigans sound fun ...
I havent checked any of the Planeshift stuff so I didn't there was a vampire race, pretty cool.

LisztesFerenc

Quote from: Kathyan on February 20, 2019, 08:40:52 AMLevel 6 is fine with me too although if it would be on standard adventuring world vistani would be pretty unknown and unheard of, right? I ask because there would little sense in playing one in that case and I might go with a human or another race instead. By the way if playing a vistani Ludovika could be disguised as a human and still know some of the others.

Vistani are a human ethnicity. They would be known in the world, as they are the only people who can freely pass through the county of Barovia. Sometimes they are sometimes used as curries for messages that cannot wait to be taken around the land, but mostly they are considered thieving bastards and possibly unclear.

Roleplay Frog

Quote from: LisztesFerenc on February 20, 2019, 08:48:25 AM
sometimes used as curries for messages

They sound deliciousss..

So! Wanna nail down some creation stuff? Stat buy, do we get bonus blings from magical items, are there any races you dun find sexy? :P I am trying to narrow down a character idea and or use an old one...

LisztesFerenc

Quote from: Roleplay Frog on February 20, 2019, 08:55:40 AM
They sound deliciousss..

That was initially a typo but I'm making it canon. Vampires find the Vistani to be deliciously spicy.

Quote from: Roleplay Frog on February 20, 2019, 08:55:40 AMSo! Wanna nail down some creation stuff? Stat buy, do we get bonus blings from magical items, are there any races you dun find sexy? :P I am trying to narrow down a character idea and or use an old one...

House rules:

1. Currency. Gold is rare, too rare to be used as a standard currency. Instead, the coins of the land are silver, bronze and copper. Any references to gold in the rules book becomes silver, any references to silver in the rules book becomes bronze.

2. The Slow Healing varient rule from the DMG. You no longer automatically recover HP from a long rest, and instead must spend hitdie to do that. You may consume a huse of a medical kit to reroll one of the hit die to see

3. Uncivilized. You may have a character start without the ability to read or write. If so, gain proficiency with survival, animal handling or nature.

Character creation:
Roll six sets of "4d6 dropping the lowest", assign freely. Starting level 6. In addition to your starting wealth (either roll based on your class, or combine the equipment of your class and background), you gain 500 silver pieces (see first house rule) and then an additional 1d10 x 25 silver pieces. This silver may be spent on magical items to reflect your adventuring career so far, but once the game begins magic items will rarely be available in shops however much silver you have.

I'm fine with all player races lewdness-wise, barring maybe the warforged from Eberron.

Roleplay Frog

See you say that you tempt me to make a cute warforged somehow. :P

Also interesting, so survivalesque rules. What about spells/abilities and feats that cheat these healing things to a degree?

Anyway, I enjoy rolling so...
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Roll Result: That Sexy Frog rolled: 4d6, keeping 3 dice
Comment: statz
Result: 5, 6, 1, 1,
Total: 12

Result: 6, 3, 3, 2,
Total: 12

Result: 6, 3, 5, 6,
Total: 17

Result: 5, 1, 1, 3,
Total: 9

Full Result: That Sexy Frog rolled: 4d6, keeping 3 dice
Result: 3, 2, 3, 3,
Total: 9

Result: 4, 3, 6, 6,
Total: 16

9,9,12,12, 16, 17 Iiinteresting. spikier than basic buy, I am like.

Now what character do... hrmnnrmnn...

Aenon

Ehm, what slow healing variant you mean? The gritty realism that has the long rest take 1 week?

Also, a full plate costs 1500gp (or sp) but I think that it is reasonable that a level 6 char would have one...could there be an exception/higher starting gold, and if not, will there be downtime to have one crafted later?

What prices would the magic items have?

GunmetalDreamer

Quote from: LisztesFerenc on February 20, 2019, 08:06:37 AM
  With a few changes, yes:

1. Name becomes dhampir, the result of a union between a human and vampire.

2. Instead of being unaging, a dhampir ages like an elf, but without an established society they don't have a ceremony for adulthood.

3. Bloodthirst only heals you up to half health, you do not regain hitpoints beyond that. The targets maximum hitpoints can still be reduced, and you still benefit from Feast of Blood.

That work?
Works for me!  I was looking a little side-eyed at (3), but if you're toning back the healing I definitely get that.  I'll get crackin'

Quote from: Aenon on February 20, 2019, 10:05:57 AMEhm, what slow healing variant you mean? The gritty realism that has the long rest take 1 week?
I believe he's referring to the Slow Natural Healing variant (DMG pg 267).  Basically it just means that you roll HD to get Health Back after a Long Rest instead of springing back to full HP and getting some of your Hit Die back.

Quote from: Aenon on February 20, 2019, 10:05:57 AM
What prices would the magic items have?
I'd also like this clarified.  The book gives a range for magic item costs (and a wide one).  This is why the default chart for starting higher level just points at number and rarity of magic items rather than spitting out a price point.

I mean, if I can somehow monkey my way into starting with a Cloak of the Bat, I'm gonna do that :P  I won't hold my breath though.

Roleplay Frog

QuoteI mean, if I can somehow monkey my way into starting with a Cloak of the Bat, I'm gonna do that :P  I won't hold my breath though.

Someone is committed. I feel tempted making some sorta vampire hunter and.. y know.. hunt ya. :P

Gnnnn..k I mean I feel tempted by lotsa things.. what do!