Dungeon World (very rules-lite fantasy in the style of D&D)

Started by wander, May 21, 2015, 06:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wander

Thank you for taking a look inside and considering having a game!

I am considering running a game of Dungeon World, a relatively light system based game. Dungeon World is a fantasy adventure game, in the vein of Dungeons & Dragons, Pathfinder, Elder Scrolls, Final Fantasy, World of Warcraft and many, many more. A story of adventurers venturing out and fulfilling their destinies, whatever they may be.

You will not need a copy of Dungeon World to enjoy this game.

Play is mainly narrative (free form), with a very small select number of actions reliant on a dice roll, I'll let you know when you need to roll if you're not sure about it. All rolls use 2d6 and follow a basic mechanic of 10-12 = pass, 7-9 = pass but something happens, 6 or less = fail, but gain 1xp by learning from your mistake. Different classes have different abilities and your attributes will decide any modifier to the basic roll.

The fun of Dungeon World is that the setting is made up by the players in-game from questions given to them by the GM (me), answers will bring xp rewards along with the joy of being actively involved with an aspect of the world building! This means that the game will be yours as much as mine, so I won't be listing setting information here because that will be decided by you!

This will be open to approved and unapproved members, running adventures with characters who may come and go, so to handwave any player turnover that occurs. The game will be constantly chugging along whilst I am about to run it, it won't die if one player happens to vanish. Unless a reason is given to me to keep them in the story, any player who doesn't reply after one week will have their character written out of the story and the plot will be updated to keep the game going. This may bring a more episodic nature to the game, being more representative of a television series or a series of short novellas more than a film or large novel.

The world will be the main constant, though even that will expand and grow as more people come by and add something to it. Things will start small though eventually I hope for things to be epic in scope as the characters travel outwards and see more sights and run into more conflicts! Want a specific building or land as part of your backstory in the game world? Write it in and it's canon! Whats more is you'll get a shiny experience point for doing it!

So, I am looking for people interested in writing such a game. There are a number of classes available to choose from. Because of the amount here, the game would suit having one person play one class at a time.

Bard: charismatic holders of lore who can cast spells from their performances.
Cleric: worshipper of a deity, they can petition their deity to gain spells and lore. They can turn the undead.
Druid: shapeshifts into animals, a kin to the spirits they need no food or water to live.
Fighter: wielder of an enchanted weapon, adept with armour and can use their strength to great effect.
Paladin: holds an aura of command, they can heal others through touch. They gain abilities through dedicating themselves to quests
Ranger: expert hunters and trackers, they are adept with their bow and wield an animal companion.
Thief: Those who can see and disarm traps and greatly damage targets with a well-placed poisoned attack.
Wizard: A collector of spells for their book of magic, they can cast or dispel magic and are also expert ritualists.

Races
There are four playable races in Dungeon World; Humans, elves, dwarves and halflings. Humans can be any of the above classes. The other three races are a bit more limited. They can take the following;

Elves
(Bards, Druids, Fighters, Rangers or Wizards)

Dwarfs
(Clerics or Fighters only)

Halflings
(Druids, Fighters or Thieves)

I can help with character creation if you do not own the system... Just tell me if you don't own the game and which race/class combo you like and I can help you create your character. Once you have your sheet, do feel free to include in your bio things that other players have added in theirs, it will help with Bonds, which are mutual ways your character is linked with the others and another way to get experience points in resolving these character arcs.

I will ask questions on backstories, every question answered that adds a bit to the world will net that character 1xp going into the game.

This is very much a game for those who like fantasy games and would love to see a detailed world evolve through play from blank canvass, where their additions become canon and a bigger picture gets realized. Where everyone gets a say and few things get turned down and ignored.

All I need from anyone interested is to list under here what class and race they'd like. If you own Dungeon World, please also place your character sheet's details filled out in full.

Show your interest below! :)

Lirliel

While I don't have the book, it definitely sounds interesting,

I'd like to play a Wizard :)

Are there also different races, or do we truly have to create cultures, races, nations etc by ourselves?
"Jealousy would be far less torturous if we understood that love is a passion entirely unrelated to our merits."

"A minute of perfection was worth the effort. A moment was the most you could ever expect from perfection."

Cold Heritage

I'd like to play a Fighter. I have the book. I'll get a sheet together if we get more interest.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

wander

Quote from: Lirliel on May 22, 2015, 11:45:07 PM

I'd like to play a Wizard :)

Are there also different races, or do we truly have to create cultures, races, nations etc by ourselves?

Cool, you can for sure play a Wizard! ^^

There are different race options for each class... The Wizard has a choice between being an Elf or a Human, though there are other options for other classes, which in the corebook are Dwarf and Halfling. Down the road the Ranger class may discover they are actually a Half-Elf down the road also.

Races merely give you a different ability depending on which you pick.
For an Elven Wizard, they gain Detect Magic as a cantrip; a cantrip is simply a spell that gets prepared without formally naming the spell in preparing it and it doesn't count in the limit of spells your character can hold. Successfully casting Detect Magic will have the GM announce if magic is nearby or not.

For a Human Wizard, they can choose one Cleric spell as if it was a Wizard spell to add to the list of three 1st Level spells the Wizard starts with in their spellbook.

For the lists of spells, I recommend checking out the Dungeon World SRD online. A quick google search will find it for you. :)

Any specific cultures and nations are created by the players, no system involved though I'll give you 1xp for adding it in. It's as simple as writing it into the story, then it's canon! Simple. :)

Remember when you reach 8xp and rest up, your character will reach Level 2 and so they'll be more able.

QuoteI'd like to play a Fighter. I have the book. I'll get a sheet together if we get more interest.

You are very welcome to be the Fighter, Cold Heritage! ^^

WhatLiesAbove

I LOVE D&D! I'll play a Ranger, if you are still looking!

wander

Still looking and sure, you can be the Ranger. :)

The Ranger can be Elf or Human, later down the line they can discover they are Half-Elven if you decide your character is one. The initial choice shows which side they take more after if you want to do that.
Their animal companion can be one of the following; Wolf, cougar, bear, eagle, dog, hawk, cat, owl, pigeon, rat or mule.

It's been a while, is everyone else who showed interest still wanting to play?

wander

Bumping this thread as my interest to play Dungeon World has increased some recently.

I'll be looking for solos and possibly group games if interest is sufficient, I'll also play with approved or unapproved members. Let me know here if interested and to talk characters. :)

GabrielB

I would be very interested in this type of game if you are still up for running it. I have experience with DnD and other systems before so I should be alright playing it here; also I have a sack of D6's to roll around!

If so I think I'd like to play a Human Paladin, I can write up some character information if this is still going and will be prepared to start when needed.

wander

Great to hear! ^^

Some questions before we begin!

Would you like to be a Lawful Paladin, gaining xp when they deny mercy to a criminal or unbeliever, or a Good Paladin, who gains xp by endangering themself to protect those weaker than them? Thats not the only way to get xp of course, though it'll be a sorta Alignment bonus for roleplaying the character by their Class. :)

All Paladins are Human, so need to pick race! ^^

One more thing, choose a look, pick one from each of the lists for a general description, it's a thing Dungeon World does as an aid if others decide to join in and you want to describe your character's appearance quickly;

x Kind eyes, fiery eyes or glowing eyes
x Helmet, styled hair or bald
x Worn Holy Symbol or Fancy Holy Symbol
x Fit Body, Bulky Body or Thin Body

You do get stats, but if you sort that out and have a name, that's a great start to your character. :)

Rish

Greetings, I am very much interested in joining this kind of game but I do not know the book. If its similar to d&d I believe I could work on my character sheet alone and then with your help fashion it into one that fits this system. But if you believe it would be easier to get it done with your own help then I am fine doing it that way also.

Though I do have a few questions. And perhaps a request or two if you do not mind answering them.

Question 1: As a druid, would I be tied to only one animal I can change into, or only the animals I know of?

Question 2: As they are kind of like a spirits, are the races they can play as more varied than the normal classes. Or is it stuck to the same classic races like Elven, human, halfling, dwarf, and half-orc? (Thinking with D&D in mind.)

Request: Could you add the available races of each class in a subsection below them, or part of the class? I think it will be easier for those that do not know of the game or have a book to have a better idea of what race they would like to play that way.

wander

Hia...

As a Druid you start with a Land where your spirit magic is strongest. This could be 'The Great Forests' or 'The Vast Desert' etc. You can have your Druid transform into any animal that would call this place their natural habitat. You can also add more forms when your character spends time contemplating the spirit of an animal you wish to also shift into. So, you'd actually start with a few animals you could turn into and through play gain more. You are unlimited in how many animals you can shift into and this doesn't affect your Level.

The three races that can play Druid are Elf, Human and Halfling. Dwarves exist in Dungeon World but have fairly limited classes, Half-Orcs don't exist at all (except as a monster to fight). Think of DW more like AD&D 2nd edition with things it has available.

I'll look into editing the race/class thing in the post. Hopefully that will show what's available a bit better.

Rish

Mhmmm. Then I think I would like to play a Halfling Druid. What bonuses would I get from that, the one's tied to the race? I believe its different from the throwing bonus as well as the height bonus the race normally gets. I am also unsure if states are a thing in this game so I am mostly thinking on a roleplay aspect at the moment.

Oh, also, would I be joining an already active game or starting my own solo with my character? Just asking as it may effect what kind of character I wish to play and design.

wander

Dungeon World is interesting as racial bonuses are linked to race and class, so a Halfling of one class gets a different bonus than one of another. Just as they'd get different bonuses to (for example) the humans of those classes.

Anyway, a Halfling Druid can 'sing the healing songs of spring and brook'. This means that whenever they make camp, they and their allies heal +1d6. Making camp is as easy as settling down for sleep and a ration. Characters level up only when they make camp (similar to Final Fantasy 15) and they also heal half their max HP when they've slept for a few hours.

Also if you finish your character it'd be a solo game, as noone else has made a character and finished them.

If you're playing a Halfling Druid, pick a look...

Choose one for each:
-Wise Eyes, Wild Eyes, or Haunting Eyes
-Furry Hood, Messy Hair, or Braided Hair
-Ceremonial Garb, Practical Leathers, or Weathered Hides

Rish

No one has finished their characters before? That is kind of a shocker. I guess my allies will most likely be henchmen and animal companions further into the game then. But that bonus does sound like a nice on. But now onto my look!

Wild Eyes, Furry Hood, Ceremonial Garb.

wander

Okay, here's the big one... Stats!

You have your normal D&D stats of Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma. Your stats are set, but you can decide in what order you want the numbers to go in, they're as follows;

16 (+2), 15 (+1), 13 (+1), 12, 9 and 8 (-1).

The brackets are the modifier to a roll you make with that stat. Below I've listed where each stat is generally used, so you know how best to build your character. :)

Str: Melee attacks
Dex: Ranged attacks (only used for a Druid if armed with a spear, which can be thrown)
Con: Mainly defence (of self and others) and HP
Int: Knowledge and Lore
Wis: Perception checks
Cha: Social manipulation

As a Druid, you start with 6 + Constitution in HP, so (for example) if you decided to place 12 in Con, you'd have 18HP.

Rish

Well I need to ask a little question before I go any further into this to make sure that I put the points in the right place. When my druid takes a form of a beast, does the strength stats change to match that animal, or do I still keep my own stats even in my new form? Depending on if the stats change over, as that seems to be the main power of the druids in this world, will determine if I put my points in certain places or not.

If they do become the stats of the beast. So my strength and other stats remain the same:

Str: 16
Dex: 8
Con: 13
Int: 15
Wis: 12
Cha: 9

If they don't however:

Str: 12
Int: 16
Wis: 15:
Cha:9

The reason why I'm putting most of my points in int, for knowledge and lore, is that seems like the abilities I need the most as a druid, To know the creatures I turn into. To know the land, to know not to anger or treat certain beings in certain ways. Of course, knowledge of civilization will be much more difficult. But the land and the creatures and monsters of it should be much easier for a druid to know.

wander

Your stats will remain the same when you take on the form of a beast. You make a roll whenever you wish to shapeshift into a beast and that's reliant on Wis, so you'd roll 2d6 and use your Wis mod to see if your character does it. The roll decides how often you can use animal actions before you shift back to your natural form. It'd be my job as GM to let you know what special actions your choice of animal has available, though you can state what actions you want or ask me if a specific one is available.

Dungeon World uses the term 'Moves'... attacking in melee or range are Moves, as are most actions a character will undertake. As you Level up you'll gain access to new Advanced Moves to do with your class, which are essentially class abilities gained from Levelling up. I've already looked through the Druid's Advanced Moves and none have a stat to modify them.

Lore checks with Int will be called when you want to see if your character has a bit of knowledge and that could be if they know about a certain animal's ways or a specific of civilisation. I won't throw personal modifiers at you based on what you're doing as the roll itself will decide, it makes the game smoother and also you'd need to get a 7+ on 2d6 without a modifier to pass without me throwing any negatives in there. ^^

Rish

Str: 15
Int: 12
Wis: 16
Cha: 9

Then these will be my final stats. As I need wisdom for my main abilities as a druid.

wander

Nearly done with character generation, just a few more things to do. I've been doing it step by step so not to overload and dump a lot of info on your plate. ^^

Okay, as a Druid you'll need to read this and choose your Land and your Tell.

Born of the Soil
You learned your magic in a place whose spirits are strong and ancient and they’ve marked you as one of their own. No matter where you go, they live within you and allow you to take their shape. Choose one of the following. It is the land to which you are attuned—when shapeshifting you may take the shape of any animal who might live in your Land.
•The Great Forests
•The Whispering Plains
•The Vast Desert
•The Stinking Mire
•The River Delta
•The Depths of the Earth
•The Sapphire Islands
•The Open Sea
•The Towering Mountains
•The Frozen North
•The Blasted Wasteland

Chose a tell—a physical attribute that marks you as born of the soil—that reflects the spirit of your land. It may be an animal feature like antlers or leopard’s spots or something more general: hair like leaves or eyes of glittering crystal. Your tell remains no matter what shape you take.

Rish

I think I will take
The Great Forests. As its the one I will likely know the most animals from personally.
Tell:
Thinking either Rabbit ears and tail, for the sheer silliness and cuteness of it.

wander

Thats cool. :)

I forgot to ask, what will your halfling's gender be? Not important for chargen at all, I'm just curious. :)

Okay, choose your Alignment... This basically gives you an option ingame to get more xp. Whenever you fulfil the Alignment's task, you get 1xp for good roleplay.

Chaotic: Destroy a symbol of civilization.

Good: Help something or someone grow.

Neutral: Eliminate an unnatural menace.

After that will be Gear. I'll throw two NPCs with you as it seems we'll be doing this solo for the moment. Then we'll do Bonds, which is another way to get xp, by completing or advancing character relationships. That all done, we can play. :)

Rish

I'm be playing as a male halfling. Just to let you know, I always play males unless a dm forces a gender change for some strange reason.

And I will also be Chaotic, as that seems to open up more potential for plot to me than Neutral or Good. At least long-term. While Good and Neutral seem more small term or quest related. It won't get me a lot more experience. But I think I'll have more fun being chaotic. (As that is my IRL alignment as well from what my friends tell me.)

wander

Okay, your Load is 7, which is important for encumberance. Weight is pretty abstract for Dungeon World, so just roll with it... ^^

Choose your defence:
•Hide armor (1 armor, 1 weight)
•Wooden shield (+1 armor, 1 weight)

Choose your armament:
•Shillelagh (close, 2 weight)
•Staff (close, two-handed, 1 weight)
•Spear (close, thrown, near, 1 weight)

Notes on range... Close is your arm's length, plus a foot or two. Near range for the Spear is useful for attacking when you see the whites of an enemy's eyes. You can also throw the spear, though careful because if you miss you can lose it, though you may recover it when able.

Choose one:
•Adventuring gear (1 weight)
[Basically a backpack with 5 items in it. These items are undecided until you let me know you're going to use one, then you let me know what it is. Once you've done that, you mark it down.]
•Poultices and herbs (2 uses, 1 weight)
[Heals 7 damage per use, though it takes a few minutes to properly apply them]
•Halfling pipeleaf (0 weight)
[6 uses, when you share it with someone, mark off 2 uses and you get a +1 for a charisma roll with that person]
•3 antitoxin (0 weight)
[drink it to cure yourself of a poison]

Then Gear is sorted and I'll get back to you when you've decided with two characters and we'll talk how your Bonds with them work.

Rish

I'll try to remember that.

Chosen:
Hide armour.
Shillelagh
Adventuring Gear

Mostly. Its the backpack that is most important out of that lot. As it will allow a lot more smaller things that have little weight, if any to them to be carried. As well as a place to store things we come across. Including food.

wander

Rish, I was having trouble today thinking on which classes to play a partner with yourself. I want someone skilled with ranged weapons to go with yourself, a Bard, Ranger or Thief. I was also thinking of having just one other NPC with you, so it made it feel more like your character is the main star of the show. Though placing a Fighter, Wizard and Thief with you covers bases and shows you a lot more of the game.

I've noticed you've been approved! Congrats! If you'd like to talk more via PM, please do so and let me know what you'd prefer with partner characters before jumping into the game world. :)