What's in the News? 2.0

Started by Tolvo, January 16, 2019, 05:34:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Lovely Tsaritsa

Quote from: Sara Nilsson on April 05, 2019, 09:07:25 AM
MASSIVE TRIGGER WARNING.
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

https://abcnews.go.com/US/judge-stirs-uproar-alleged-rape-victim-closed-legs/story?id=62185027&cid=clicksource_4380645_null_card_hed

Sadly, this isn't a rare thing. That a judge, or police officer puts the blame on the victim. Or at least puts it on us to somehow prevent it. Which is why I never bothered even going to the cops, why add to the already insane pain when those that are supposed to protect you and give you justice makes you a victim again. Fuck this guy. With a rusty railroad spike covered in fireants holding little swabs of rubbing alcohol to make it even more painful.

That’s disgusting, I hope he’s fired.  >:(

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: The Lovely Tsaritsa on April 05, 2019, 09:10:57 AM
That’s disgusting, I hope he’s fired.  >:(

Out of a cannon. Into the side of a mountain.

Yukina

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on April 05, 2019, 09:29:18 AM
Out of a cannon. Into the side of a mountain.

That is notably jagged.

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Regina Minx

Lustful Bride

A new germ out there seems to be specifically targeting people with weak or compromised immune systems. Its spreading fast, if you or someone you know depends primarily upon Herd Immunity, take some extra steps to care for yourself.

People opting out of Vaccines have probably created a perfect storm for this new bug.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/deadly-germs-lost-cures-a-mysterious-infection-spanning-the-globe-in-a-climate-of-secrecy/ar-BBVFPi7?ocid=spartandhp

Tolvo

If it's a new bug how would not vaccinating for old ones cause it? They would cause already "Cured" ones to return not new ones to form. Newly mutated organisms would be formed by killing many of them and those that mutate surviving and becoming stronger and more common.

TheGlyphstone

Yeah, that sounds like it's a problem not because of reduced vaccinations (you can't vaccinate against a newly discovered germ because it's new, so by definition there isn't a vaccine yet), but a problem caused by the over-usage of antibiotics creating resistance to their effects.

Regina Minx

Technically speaking it's a fungus, not a virus or bacteria, which we can't immunize against anyway.

Regina Minx

Crap. Prematture post. Could a mod kindly modify my above post's last clause to read "which we can't immunize against or affect with antibiotics (either to treat or to cause them to develop antibiotic resistance) anyway."

ShadowFox89

You know there's an edit button right?
Call me Shadow
My A/A

TheGlyphstone

ShadowFox89

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on April 06, 2019, 10:31:02 AM
Not in PROC, remember?

Oh, never knew that, I honestly don't post much here.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Lustful Bride

Yeah that's a failing on my part. Good thing I never went to medical school, i'd be a terrible doctor.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on April 06, 2019, 10:40:45 AM
Oh, never knew that, I honestly don't post much here.

Yeah. People apparently were abusing it, so it got taken away here.

Oniya

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on April 06, 2019, 10:51:27 AM
Yeah. People apparently were abusing it, so it got taken away here.

This.  Therefore, we remind people to make certain that their posts are what they want to say before they hit post.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Sara Nilsson

anti vaxxers. I have a lot to say about these complete idiots, and no i wont apologize to any anti vaxxer reading this. But they hit a new low, I honestly didn't think it was possible to go any lower. But they have started using .. a yellow star with the text No Vax in a style that is similar.. no.. identical to the ones used for the star that the Jews where forced to wear during Nazi Germany. Yes that is right, they are equating themselvs to how the Jews where persecuted by the Nazis to how they are.. in their own little deluded minds being persecuted by people today.

Yupp.

So that thing happened. And I feel dumber for having read that. It makes me honestly so angry. How fucking dare they compare their anti science stance with that of a people that where marched into death camps by the millions?!

https://ascienceenthusiast.com/nazis-made-jews-wear-the-star-of-david-so-why-are-anti-vaxxers-wearing-them-now/

The Auschwitz Memorial and Museum tweeted in response:

Quote"Instrumentalizing the fate of Jews who were persecuted by hateful anti semitic ideology and murdered in extermination camps like #Auschwitz with poisonous gas in order to argue against vaccination that saves human lives is a symptom of intellectual and moral degeneration."

https://www.haaretz.com/us-news/.premium-anti-vaccination-protesters-don-yellow-stars-provoking-ire-from-auschwitz-museum-1.7068078

Regina Minx

Quote from: Sara Nilsson on April 06, 2019, 06:06:47 PM
anti vaxxers. I have a lot to say about these complete idiots, and no i wont apologize to any anti vaxxer reading this. But they hit a new low, I honestly didn't think it was possible to go any lower. But they have started using .. a yellow star with the text No Vax in a style that is similar.. no.. identical to the ones used for the star that the Jews where forced to wear during Nazi Germany. Yes that is right, they are equating themselvs to how the Jews where persecuted by the Nazis to how they are.. in their own little deluded minds being persecuted by people today.

Yupp.

Regina as she's reading this: No way. Can't be true. There's no way...

Quote from: Sara Nilsson on April 06, 2019, 06:06:47 PM
https://ascienceenthusiast.com/nazis-made-jews-wear-the-star-of-david-so-why-are-anti-vaxxers-wearing-them-now/

https://www.haaretz.com/us-news/.premium-anti-vaccination-protesters-don-yellow-stars-provoking-ire-from-auschwitz-museum-1.7068078

Regina after she follows the links: ...oh my god that happened.

TheGlyphstone

Wat. Just wat.

No.

*Head Asplode*

Tolvo

People unfortunately do that very commonly. People like to appropriate the markers for other persecuted groups during the holocaust such as queer people, trans people, etc. And it's almost never due to actual persecution(Maybe because those actually persecuted understand how wrong it is to do). Nearly always it's over dumb bullshit like being banned from twitter or something.

stormwyrm

Antivaxxers are some of the lowest scum:

https://respectfulinsolence.com/2019/03/20/harassment-doctors-grieving-mother/

QuoteInterviews with mothers who’ve lost children and with those who spy on anti-vaccination groups, reveal a tactic employed by anti-vaxers: When a child dies, members of the group sometimes encourage each other to go on that parent’s Facebook page. The anti-vaxers then post messages telling the parents they’re lying and their child never existed, or that the parent murdered them, or that vaccines killed the child, or some combination of all of those.

Nothing is considered too cruel. Just days after their children died, mothers say anti-vaxers on social media called them whores, the c-word and baby killers.

The mother in the Midwest, who wants to remain anonymous, isn’t alone.

Jill Promoli, who lives outside Toronto, lost her son to flu. She believes the anti-vaxers are trying to silence the very people who can make the strongest argument for vaccinations: those whose children died of vaccine-preventable illnesses.

If there is such a phenomenon as absolute evil, it consists in treating another human being as a thing.
O/OA/A, Requests

Yvellakitsune

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on April 06, 2019, 09:47:27 AM
Yeah, that sounds like it's a problem not because of reduced vaccinations (you can't vaccinate against a newly discovered germ because it's new, so by definition there isn't a vaccine yet), but a problem caused by the over-usage of antibiotics creating resistance to their effects.

There is another factor that causes a double whammy on this, not just over-prescribing antibiotics.  Antibiotics are often underused by the patients as well once it has been prescribed.   Antibiotics are usually prescribed as a regimen.  For example, "take two on day 1, then take 1 every day until day 10."  Then what happens is the patient feels better on day 5 and stops taking it.  This often leads to cases where it weakens the virus/fungus, but doesn't kill it.  Then the virus/fungus mutates and builds an immunity to the antibiotic. Almost like giving the virus an inoculation. A lot of times people stop taking it because they hear just the headline that "antibiotics are over-prescribed," but they don't understand how the antibiotic works once it is prescribed.  If you are prescribed one, use it as it is prescribed until the regimen is finished. 

Oniya

Quote from: Yvellakitsune on April 08, 2019, 08:48:04 AM
There is another factor that causes a double whammy on this, not just over-prescribing antibiotics.  Antibiotics are often underused by the patients as well once it has been prescribed.   Antibiotics are usually prescribed as a regimen.  For example, "take two on day 1, then take 1 every day until day 10."  Then what happens is the patient feels better on day 5 and stops taking it.  This often leads to cases where it weakens the virus/fungus, but doesn't kill it.  Then the virus/fungus mutates and builds an immunity to the antibiotic. Almost like giving the virus an inoculation. A lot of times people stop taking it because they hear just the headline that "antibiotics are over-prescribed," but they don't understand how the antibiotic works once it is prescribed.  If you are prescribed one, use it as it is prescribed until the regimen is finished.

What's great is when they run a test for a bacterial infection, it comes back negative, the doc says 'You probably have a virus', and then prescribes antibiotics anyways.  I made sure that the whole damn regimen was taken, but seriously.  If I'd been in the office with him, I would have asked 'what's the antibiotic supposed to be killing?'