News:

Main Menu

The Myth of Panic

Started by Lilias, July 19, 2021, 08:24:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lilias

Putting it here in order not to have it buried in the pandemic discussion thread: a long, excellent read on crowd psychology in disaster situations.

https://palladiummag.com/2021/07/15/the-myth-of-panic
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

BlueOrange

Damn that’s good.

It’s interesting to note that Australia and New Zealand have very egalitarian cultures, and that Jacinda  Ardern (easily the most successful national leader during coronavirus) markets herself as a very ordinary mother. These observations would seem to support an idea in the article: that it’s leaders who espouse the idea that they are special individuals who are most susceptible to elite panic.

Azy

Well, we've certainly seen what panic can do, haven't we?  Just rumors of possible lockdowns made it so I had to get up at 6:30 in the morning to get to Walmart when it opened at 7 just to get some toilet paper.  That was absolutely insane!  It was very weird and extremely frustrating to walk into stores and see entire sections just completely empty due to panic buying.  And contrary to what officials originally thought, the panic was brought on by rumors and uncertainty.  Once the people in charge started being more clear about what was going on, most reasonable calmed down and did as asked.  You can't tell the public they need to do something, and not tell them why.  We've also seen how easy it is to sew mistrust of authority.  Not enough information leads to speculation, which leads to conspiracy theories.  Facebook has now practically become an insane asylum. 

Tolvo

This reminds me of This War of Mine, the game about survival during a war in a ravaged country as you and others around you compete for resources. And how people who survived the actual war the game is based on found it very compelling and respectful but that this aspect was wrong, and that when the bombs dropped nearly everyone unified and took care of each other and that is why they survived.