Fiasco, anyone?

Started by wander, December 26, 2015, 09:23:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wander

Fiasco is a GM-less game for 3 to 5 players that takes inspiration from cinematic capers that go wrong, a game of people with powerful ambitions and poor impulse control... Of big dreams and flawed execution in chasing those dreams!

Hows it work?
The players narrate scenes with their characters, either establishing scenes with someone else's character or helping to resolve the scenes established by others, creating a sort of collaborative ad-lib narrative. Other players when they don't have their character involved in a scene can throw in suggestions, cameo as important NPCs and generally have as much fun as possible doing so, Rule of Fun and Rule of Cool are in full effect when playing Fiasco!

So, here's the deal... You won't need to own Fiasco to play if interested and it's perfect for those who like freeform over systems. Whilst some dice are involved in the game, players don't roll them for performing actions, instead they're used to help set up the various acts by deciding certain factors of character relationships or specific locales, needs or Macguffins in the story as it'll play out.

I have a whole bunch of playsets (genre settings for the game) available to play. I'll list them below and if any peeks your interest, let me know... The playset with the most interest will be the one we'll play.

Interested? So what do I need from you right now?

Just state you're interested for now... If I get enough interest, I'll make the game and we watch the chaos ensue!  ;D

Playsets:
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Cyberpunk;
10 Minutes in the Future (Blade Runner/Neuromancer cyberpunk)
Hard Wired (more generic Gibson styled cyberpunk)

Films;
Colonials (ALIENS pastiche)
Hell's Highway (Mad Max pastiche)
There Can be Only One! (Highlander!)
Jedi Purge (Original SW trilogy)
Wretched Hive of Scum and Villiany (SW; Tatooine Cantina hijinks)

Lovecraft;
Alma Monster (Lovecraftian University comedy)
Unausprechlichen Klutzen (Lovecraftian vengeance!)

Misc;
Dragon Slayers (murder hoboing / swords and sorcery ^^)

Heroes of Pinnacle City (supers)

The Big Anime Con (hijinks in a convention)

Touring Rock Band (parts 1 and 2 of a past-it band seeking past glory)

Zombie Apocalypse (nuff said!)

Living Dead (an add-on to add zombies to any other playset!)

General Inspirations of cinematic clusterfucks we'd be aiming for;
Filmography
The Big Lebowski
Bad Santa
Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
Spinal Tap
Shaun of the Dead
Day of the Dead (the original, with Bub)
28 Days Later
Interview with a Vampire
Tetsuo: The Iron Man
The Vengeance Trilogy
Minority Report
Firefly (TV series)
Game of Thrones (TV series)

AmandaWho

I'm interested. I've wanted to try a Fiasco game, and this sounds like fun.

I'm going to pick two genres, so please let this count as a vote for both since I am good with either: Zombie Apocalypse, and Unausprechlichen Klutzen.

Thank you :)

wander

Cool, thanks for showing your interest!

Hopefully some more people will come by, I'd like to get a good circle going, the more the merrier when it's Fiasco. ^^

Also, if there are any questions (both to yourself or anyone peeking in this thread and maybe on the fence about playing), let me know and I'll do my best to answer them. :)

Flaming

I'm in for a game of Fiasco.

I'll vote "10 Minutes in the future" and "Unausprechlichen Klutzen"

P.S. Wander where did you find those Playsets, I have a bunch, but none of those

wander

I got them from this website, which posts all the fanmade and free Bully Pulpit playsets here;

http://www.fiascoplaysets.com/

That said gang, if any of those in that link sound better than the ones I've offered, I'll look into it. ^^

At the moment it looks like we'll probably be doing the Unausprechlichen Klutzen playset for some Lovecraftian hijinks... I'm hoping for one or two more people, just to make things that little more interesting. :)

Batman4560

Doesn't this game have a tower of blocks like Jenga? Either way I remember the game and if I start playing again I'll get used to it real fast. I'm interested in playing.

Flaming

The one with Jenga is called Dread, this one uses just a bunch of dice

wander

Yep, like Flaming said. :)

The dice here in Fiasco are mainly used through the game as Tokens, taken by players to represent how well their character is doing through the narrative, the only time they're rolled is pretty much between Acts (There are two in each game) to sort of give a random basis for the narrative to go around.

Because the game's general setting, MacGuffin and how characters are linked to one another are generated randomly, a single playset can get miles of replay value.

Also, I personally find Fiasco gets really good when using those randomised elements to make the story interesting, even if it screws over your character, rather than trying to win. Can you win a game of Fiasco? Yeah, you can do... But it makes a better game to generate as much chaos and backfired plans as you can, at least I think so. :)

Flaming

Quote from: wander on December 27, 2015, 06:50:45 PM
I got them from this website, which posts all the fanmade and free Bully Pulpit playsets here;

http://www.fiascoplaysets.com/

that's an awesome site!

thanks

LuckyLukin

Interested, and there was one that I was particularly interested in. The Cobblestone Beat, simply because its set in Ankh-Morpork. Just remember, don't curse the gods while standing on a hill wearing copper armor in the middle of a thunderstorm. XD

wander

Great, I'm still looking for reliable players, I think I can count on Flaming, so I'll wait some more to see if anyone else is down and probably look into making a game up if you're down. :)

Also, just to check but if anyone else above mentioned interest, can I get confirmation you'd still want to play? Also, if anyone knows anyone else who likes Fiasco, please do pass the word around. :)

LuckyLukin

I'll look into some of the other systems that were mentioned by the others, I'd love to see how this game works.

My posts would be restricted mostly to later, round 9-10ish. How often are you expecting us to post in this?

Alpha Complex is another that I'd be c urious to do as I've played a session of Paranoia and really enjoyed the hilarity of it.

CirclMastr

Never played Fiasco but I'll try anything once.
Ons & offs - https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=8373.0
Statistics are like a bikini; what they reveal is significant, but what they conceal is even more important.

wander

Oh I'm not expecting daily posts, but if you can be active in some capacity, that'd be awesomes. :)

LuckyLukin

Quote from: wander on December 31, 2015, 10:46:15 PM
Oh I'm not expecting daily posts, but if you can be active in some capacity, that'd be awesomes. :)

Wundebar! Then certainly count me in!

Flaming

wander

I think we shall! ^^

I'm gonna be going with the Unausprechlichen Klutzen set, as that the one that got the most interest... I'll be rolling dice up for four players? If Circlmastr is still playing?

I'll roll 16 and we can get to placing them, if we are at three, then the other four dice can be wildcards and we won't count them for the rest of the game. The playset can be found in the link upthread if you don't have it...

To clarify the rules for those who may be reminding... I'll roll the dice and we take it in turns to pick one to first decide the Relationship to the next player, the next die picked clarifies that. With that done, I'll talk about Objects, Needs and Locations, but once done with Relationships, we should have crossed off six dice for three players or eight for four.

And the dice are as follows;

6, 3, 6, 2, 2, 5, 5, 2, 6, 6, 2, 2, 1, 2 (wild), 5, 2

Ordering as follows;

Wander - Mysterious relationship with Flaming: I'm writing to invite you to a peculiar event
Thing: Inexplicable: Shining Trapezohedron of interesting insights.
Flaming - Friendship with Lucky: Correspondants who up until now, have never met.
Need: To be happy: by getting the hell outta here
Lucky - Crime relationship with Circlmastr: Crime-boss/second in command
Circlmastr - Mysterious relationship with Wander: I have an offer for you, which you may find surprising...
Need #2: To figure out: What the letters mean (linked to Wander)

CirclMastr

I'm still interested, just so you know.
Ons & offs - https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=8373.0
Statistics are like a bikini; what they reveal is significant, but what they conceal is even more important.

Flaming

Wasn't there Amanda too?

LuckyLukin

Still have interests, so my pick is: that second 5.
Has to be the second one, not the first or the third. :D

wander

If Amanda does post again and shows def. interest, I'll roll another four dice for her. I'm keeping sorta things at a minimum atm as it's been a while since a few people posted in this thread.

Okee dokey, so we don't get all chaotic with the die picking, Flaming it's your turn to sort out a Relationship link. :)

Lucky, was that a 5 to link a Relationship between you and Flaming or you and Circl? I'll edit my above post to show what dice are drawn and what they represent, y'see. :)

Flaming

Sorry, didn't see your pick after the line...

I'll detail with a 1 "I am writing to invite you to witness a peculiar event"

wander

And edited. :)

Whose the Crime relationship going to be with Lucky? Is it Flaming or Circlmastr?

LuckyLukin

I'm not entirely sure what you mean but I'll go with Circl

wander

*nods*

I'll explain a little...

Fiasco is usually played around a table and at the start when picking dice for your relationship to another character, you pick either the person to the left or right of yourself. In this imaginary table, you Lucky would be between Flaming and Circlmastr, so your dice would set up a relationship between yourself and one of those two.

Now that the relationship is locked between you and Circlmastr, the next die that Circl chooses can either be to explain what exactly the Crime relationship is (via the six dice numbers and what they represent under the 'Crime' heading in the playset) or they can choose a dice to set up a relationship with myself.

Table would be:

Me, who is linked to
Flaming, who can link to
Lucky, who is linked to
Circlmastr, who can link back to Me.

@ Circlmastr;

As stated above, please pick a die from the ones listed, either to explain what relationship your character has with Lucky (under the Crime relationships heading in the playset) or pick a die to represent a relationship between your character and mine. :)