The Great Heathen Army - Now Recruiting/IC started!

Started by Primarch, June 02, 2018, 02:24:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Primarch

Ragnar Lothbrok lies dead in the Northumbrian dirt, veins choked with Anglo-Saxon wroth and vipers venom.
Revenge was swift, his sons laid waste to the British Isles, splintering the land and slaughtering all whom opposed them.
The Viking Horde swept West, an insatiable force that brought Alfred the Great to his knees.

I'm looking to start our own little version of the Great Viking Army invasion of England in AD 865. One of the important parts I might stress is that while this is based on a historical period I intend for this to be a historic AU. We will replace historic individuals with our own characters and make it our own story. This is intended to be a long term game designed for players interested in world-building and plot development.   

Do I need to be a history buff to take part?
No. This is not intended to be strictly grounded in historic fact. It should be considered more in the vein of the show 'Spartacus' or even 'Vikings' for that matter.

Will you be 'GMing' the story?
No. This is a collaborative narrative. I will set up a Discord chat we can use to keep in contact, plot events, organise and world build but I will not be GMing. At most I will be a first among equals who might nudge things along or take the lead as we get started.

I prefer playing as female characters, can I play a shieldmaiden?
Yes, Absolutely!

Are we limited to the Viking side or can I play a Saxon/English character?"
Not at the start. I would very much prefer to generate a healthy roster of characters on the Viking side, being the main focus of the plot. It's likely there will be a few persistent NPC's and down the line full PC's for the opposite side would be welcome. 

~~~
I will put up a character sheet & further information on sufficent show of interest.
Questions, Comments & suggestions are welcome.

[float=right][img][/img][/float][b]Character:[/b]
[b]Player:[/b]

[b]Role:[/b]
[b]Specialties:[/b]
[list]
[li][/li]
[li][/li]
[li][/li]
[/list]

[b]Personality:[/b]
[list]
[li][/li]
[li][/li]
[li][/li]
[/list]

[b]History:[/b]
[list]
[li][/li]
[li][/li]
[li][/li]
[/list]

[b]Relationships/Connections:[/b]
[list]
[li][/li]
[li][/li]
[li][/li]
[/list]

[b]Additional Details:[/b]
[list]
[li][/li]
[li][/li]
[li][/li]
[/list]

________

Game Wanted List
Requesting Player: Primarch
Name: Open
Face Claim: Open/Negotiable
  • Lover: 'Wife' and Canis have been married for 14 years.
  • Warrior/Leader: Might be a Shieldmaiden every bit as fierce as her husband, might prefer to lead Vestfold & Rogaland in his absence.
  • Devoted: Canis & 'wife' are deeply devoted to one another, only his love for her instills more passionate than his need to plunder, raid & fight.
  • Mother: After 14 years of marriage you can expect some children to be present, details can be discussed.

Vlexia

Surprised no one has bitten, so let me be the first to sink my teeth in.

I’m in a hardcore Viking mood right now.

If you cannot honor a No, then you certainly could never honor a Yes.

avarus

I am also going to throw in my hat, my last viking RP fizzled out so I am ready for a new one. ^^

Primarch

Delightful surprise! If we can get one or two more I would be happy to throw up a character sheet template & set up the Discord server.

Praxis

RobHumph

I may vastly prefer the Saxon side of this conflict but I'm certainly interested in this one.

aka I'm in for this

Primarch

Character: Canis "Goldmane"
Player: Primarch

Role: King of Vestfold & Rogaland/Great Viking Leader
Specialties:

• 2 handed-axe/Dane Axe combat
  • Night Raids
  • Siege warfare

Personality:

• Faithful - Canis believes in the Gods, that they are watching and that his actions will lead him to Valhalla.
  • Pragmatic - Canis has little interest in how a situation should be or in theory, he has a strong preference for the reality of a situation before him.
  • Fierce - Possessing something of an aggressive and passionate disposition. Canis has been described as 'intense' in several facets of his life, fierce in love & fierce in battle

History:

• Canis was born in 830 AD, 37 years after the Lindisfarne raid.
  • Raised a Prince of Vestfold's and the heir presumptive to his father, King Lief
  • Canis first met Ragnar Lothbrok in 845 during the Sack of Paris. It was his first major raid & battle. It proved to be a major event for young Canis as it instilled his interest in West Frankia as a source of wealth and cultivated his later talent for siege warfare.
  • Succeeded his father in 851 AD, when he was 21 years old. Shortly after he married _____
  • As King of Vestfold he led his people on Viking raids far and wide, chiefly aiming west but returned to Frankish territories every few years.
  • As his fame grew many warriors traveled to Götaland to journey with him in his raiding. This force also allowed him to defeat King Arnarson and take his petty Kingdom of Rogaland.
  • In 862 Canis & _____ worked their way up the Rhine and became the first Vikings to plunder Cologne.
  • Canis had resumed sacking Frankish territories when he received word of Ragnar Lothbrok's death in Northumbia. He immediately dropped everything and his men sailed for Kattegat where he was one of four leading Vikings to raise a Great Army.

Relationships/Connections:

• To be completed as characters submitted/relationships plotted

Additional Details:

• Canis is known as 'Goldmane' not due to his blonde hair but his occasional preference to wear golden rings woven into it.
  • Not surprising considering his time spent in Frankia but many of the weapons & armour found among Canis's more veteran men are of Frankish origin, these were either plunder or gifts to keep him away

Primarch

I have placed the Character Sheet in the opening post, I have also posted my own character. Please feel free to use it as a reference guide.

I am setting it that this Great Army has 4 chief leaders. You are under no obligation to play one of these but you are welcome to do so. If you have any questions please feel free to ask!

QuoteI may vastly prefer the Saxon side of this conflict but I'm certainly interested in this one.
Once we have a healthy roster of Vikings we'll get you set up with a Saxon character. You may take on a Saxon NPC or two in the mean time.

Vlexia

Awesome! I’ll be having a CS within the next day or two. 

I’d be down for anyone who desires connections as well: lover, husband, best friend, sibling, etc. Send me a PM or holler at me here.

And I’ll be using this woman: Marie Avgeropoulos

RobHumph

Character: Harald "Bloodaxe" Eadricsson
Player: Robhumph

Role: Captain of the Jörmungandr/Leader of a Viking band
Specialties:

• Dane-Axe and Axe & Shield combat
  • Experienced sailor and sea raider
  • Knowledge of Britannia

Personality:

• Pityless: A vicious Vikingr, Harald has little mercy left for those too weak to stop him.
  • Brave: Come battle, storm or any hardship Harald will stand firm, perhaps to his detriment
  • Cunning: One does not last as long as Harald without having a keen mind for fighting dirty or tricking one's foes.

History:

• Born in the year the Christians call 814 AD in Danmark, Harald is close approaching the time to give up raiding and pillaging
  • Went on his first Viking in 830 AD, Harald has been a terror of the north seas for decades
  • Claiming a longship through the right of an honest duel in 834 AD, Harald became the captain he would be for the next three decades, and soon into the Vikings of his own making, he sailed into the Irish Sea and became one of the dreaded "Black Men of the Sea" to the Welsh Celts
  • Began using the new settlement of Dubh Lihn as a base upon its founding
  • Cared little for Ragnar Hairybreeches, has only joined the army for chances of plundering the great kingdoms of mainland Britannia

• Ilvar Bjorksson: Raided together in the Irish Sea

Additional Details:

• Has much knowledge of the lands of Britannia, particularly of the lands and kingdoms that surround the Irish Sea
  • Commands a crew of thirty hardened Vikingr

RobHumph

Hope that all works for a CS. Let me know if anything needs changing

Primarch

Just missing an image but that's my fault. img tag got lost somewhere along the way. I've slipped it back into the CS if you want to tweak.

If its not been made clear previously, live action/real face claims please.

RobHumph

changed the face claim.

Which forum is this game taking place in?

Primarch

That's currently undecided. We can discuss it in Discord once we have a few bits together.

Vlexia

Took a little liberty with some items and I will admit it took me awhile to do the research lol. Can fix/change whatever.

Character: Røksana
Player: Vlexia

Role: Witch of the Wilds
Specialties:

• Archery with the Yew War Bow, boasting of 70 lbs of force and able to shoot a target at 227.5 metres (746 ft).
  • Healing with extensive knowledge of lancing, cleaning wounds, bandaging, setting broken bones, and the preparation of herbal remedies and pain management.
  • Poisons: has made her own version of the fantasized eitr poison which she coats her arrows and smaller blades with.

Personality:

• Strategic: Whether it’s on the battlefield, or in her own daily duties, there is an order in which to do things for the greatest success in the end.
  • Persuasive: With a silver tongue, one can get anything needed or desired through logic or emotional stimulation.
  • Poetic: Speaks in riddles and proverbial sayings, such things happening when one spends much time alone in the forest.

History:

• Born in 839AD in a small fishing village in Norheim, Rogaland. Mother died in childbirth and was the only one born within the peasant family.
  • Experimented with plants and herbs at a young age before being orphaned during her fifteenth year.
  • Becoming a degree of an outcast, she retreated to the Norheimskogen forest which lies south of the village.
  • Has an extensive garden growing over the years, and with this growing knowledge has been acquired. She has used dying soldiers for experimentation for remedies, some working, others not, garnering her reputation for her titled role in the surrounding areas.
  • When her King left for Kattegat after the news of the death of Ragnar, she followed his armies from a distance to render aid.

Additional Details:

• You’ve heard of her. She’s very well known in both light and dark rumors.
  • Will help anyone.
  • Well equipped with the Fly Agaric Mushrooms which, under her care and administration, gives a warrior the Berserker Fury. But there is a physical price to pay afterwards, which she can care for.
  • Her time alone in the woods has given her great hunting and tracking skills.
  • A bit crazy and socially awkward

Primarch

Harald & Røksana both look solid. If you want to PM me your Discord names I'll get a Discord chat set up soon and we can begin setting up a few bits while the other character sheets come in.

Praxis

Character: Audun "Wingfoot" Ingvarsson
Player: Praxis

Role: Scout

Specialties:

• Woodcraft
  • Silence
  • Foot speed
  • Archery
  • Can do arithmetic. (was taught how by a captured priest when he was young)

Personality:

• Loyal
  • Patient
  • Morally-flexible
  • Not prone to boredom
  • Intolerant of weakness
  • Relatively intolerant of people in general.
  • Prefers silence
  • Observant
  • Anti-Theist

History:

• Born in 833 AD in poverty.  A simple cabin far from any settlement.  His mother did not survive his birth.
  • Has known Canis since Audun was young. 
    • Has been a raider in Canis' Vestfold since being of age
    • Learned of the forest and woodcraft from his father, Ingvar who made his living as a hunter of game.

• Loyal raider to Canis. Unflinching in his execution of duties to his king.

Additional Details:

• None at the moment.

Primarch

Hey Praxis, I'm not sure if Audun is finished, (app seems to be missing the 'additional details' section & the code is a touch broken there. If you can tweak those bits and let me know if/when he's done that would be great, cheers!

Praxis

Brutal.  I suck at this.

Thanks man.  I'll fix it tonight!

Kuroneko

Is there room for a volva character in this world?
Ons & Offs//Requests//Where is the Black Cat?
Current Posting Time - Once a Week or More

"One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art" ~ Oscar Wilde
"I dream of painting and then I paint my dream" ~ Vincent Van Gogh

avarus

Character: Ilvar Bjorksson.
Player: Avarus

Role: Captain of the Rhomphaia/Former Varangian Mercenary in Miklagard
Specialties:

• Small unit tactics
  • Experienced sailor
  • Naval tactics
  • Can read and write Greek

Personality:

• Honours his oaths: Will stick by his oath, even if it goes against his self interest.
  • Trading mindset: Thralls are more profitable than corpses. Soapstone is heavy but valuable. Knows what he raids.
  • Merciless: Will kill any bearing weapons who stands in his way.
  • Worldly: His time in Miklagard has opened his eyes to other cultures and ancient ideas.
  • Patient: Will wait for the correct moment to strike, rather than charge.
  • Intimidating: Still the best way to have things done your way.

History:

• Was born in the 12th indiction of the 6342th year of the world, known in Danmark as 833 Anno Domini on his fathers longship, travelling the rivers to Kiev.
  • Grew up in Kiev, where his father was a Varangian mercenary in employ of the Grand Prince of the city, trained to be eventually the replacement of his father.
  • Through shifting diplomatic ties moved to Miklagard in 846 AD, where he came into contact with the classic world and was taught how to read Greek.
  • Joined his first patrol with his father in 848AD, where their ship sailed the Western Black sea and attacked Bulgarian ships and small ports.
  • His father died in 856 AD, felled by a Georgian arrow, causing Ilvar to inherit his father’s ship and retinue. The ship was renamed to Rhomphaia.
  • Continued serving in the Byzantine navy up to 862 AD, when only a few men of the original company remained, most replaced with new adventurers from the North.
  • Came for the first time to Danmark in 863 AD, upon hearing of great wealth to be gained from raiding lands in the west, swearing an oath to the new king for this new enterprise.

• Raided on the Irish sea with Harald Eadricsson
  • TbA
  • TBA

Additional Details:

• Just arrived in Danmark and is mostly unknown other than as a curious rumour
  • Can read and write Greek, but not any other language.
  • Has a small longboat, called Rhomphaia, of which every beam has been replaced at least two times after she was laid down, sailing under a red flag bearing a black axe.
  • Commands a small host of thirty men, who stuck with him after Miklagard. The crew is a riot of Norse and Baltic men.
  • Speaks in an odd accent from many years abroad, using his mother tongue only among his retinue.
  • Thinks it’s too cold in Danmark.

Primarch

Quote from: Kuroneko on June 09, 2018, 06:09:48 PM
Is there room for a volva character in this world?

Yes!

QuoteCharacter: Ilvar Bjorksson.
Player: Avarus

Looks good!

Kuroneko

Ons & Offs//Requests//Where is the Black Cat?
Current Posting Time - Once a Week or More

"One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art" ~ Oscar Wilde
"I dream of painting and then I paint my dream" ~ Vincent Van Gogh

Primarch

Discord chat is live, character sheets are being submitted and we still need leaders for this Great Viking Army!
(Plus just about everything else)

Jag

Interested, just not sure what sort of role I'd want to play just yet.

EDIT: Still mulling over ideas, but would like to faceclaim Emily Cox.

Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment