Battalion Training (Looking for recruits / players)

Started by Felynmyrril, June 25, 2011, 03:13:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Felynmyrril

Hey hey! I'm looking for four people to join an rp that I'm thinking of putting up in the forums. *Smiles* It'll be mostly based around character interaction, rather than, well, anything else. It will have other things, just the main focus will be character interaction. It'll be a smallish group with around six people. Guess I should tell you about the idea. It will be set in a fantasy world, so elven and such characters are more than welcome. We'll decide as a group what forum we want the rp to go into.

The idea is this: Your country is at war, and the war isn't going well for either side. Many have died in the war, and food is scarce in small towns. The kings elite force (The Battalion) has lost a number of their members, and have started recruiting to replenish these losses. The Battalion is a hope to the people, the strongest mages and warriors in the country, they're needed on the front lines. Having any of them missing is a heavy burden on the army. And you were lucky enough to make the cut.

Your character doesn't need amazing powers to get into the running. It's better if he or she doesn't, maybe some training, but not a veteran at what they do. We want them to struggle a little through the training, and grow as a character. Don't worry, I won't be trowing anything too strong at you right off the bat, that wouldn't be any fun.

Please ask any questions you might have, this is still a work in progress. I won't be on until later today or tomorrow to answer them, but please ask. I'll answer them as soon as possible.

I also have a few questions for those of you that are interested. What do you want to see in this rp? What kind of things would you like to happen to your character? Is there anything you think I should add or change? This is still a work in progress, and I'd like to make it as fun as possible for everyone involved. *Smiles and does a happy dance*

I need around four players. Any more and things could get a little crazy. *Smiles* Six at the most.
It's the sensible, logical thing to do, of course, which is why we don't do it.

Altair1983

Hmm id actually be interested in this probably go with the type of character that lives by the sword and wit.

TheHangedOne

I could be a healing magician or an archer. Definitely interested. One question, though. Is their room for winged humanoids?
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

Felynmyrril

Good to have all of you aboard. I'm interested in hearing what you all have to say. I like all of your character ideas, mages, warriors, healers, and archers are perfectly fine with me. *Smiles*

The Hanged Man: I'd rather you didn't play a winged character, simply because it makes things difficult when you throw an obstruction at someone and they just fly over it. XD Plus it also tends to be no fun when said character just flys above a battle without much of a worry. Many of the things we're going to be fighting, when we do fight, won't be able to hit you. I really do like the idea though, I plan on all your characters changing throughout the campaign, perhaps later on we could introduce it. If not, then there's always next time. *Smiles* I'm perfectly fine with you having a falcon or some other animal for a pet, would that help your need  to fly?

Any of you have anything you'd for sure like to see in the story? I'm thinking about the story, and where I want it to go, and any of your feedback would be much helpful. *Smiles*

TheHangedOne

Yeah, no worries. Maybe some other time I can use a winged long bow wielding flying sniper.  ;D

I might have a druid of some sort (Knows healing magic as well as herbal remedies and foraging and stuff), with a few animal companions (two ravens and a wolf), if that's alright?
Check out my poet tree!

Felynmyrril

I love that idea. How about instead of starting off with so many, start off with either the two ravens or the wolf, and tame the other/s through the campaign? I plan on us spending at least a little time in a forest at some point. *Smiles* How does that sound to you? *Curious*

TheHangedOne

I'll have him start off with the ravens, then.  :-) And sounds good to me.
Check out my poet tree!

Felynmyrril

OOC: Here's an idea for the first post. Let me know what you all think. It's to give you all an idea for what's to come and also a chance for you all the flush out your characters a bit. I'll be posting the actual thread tomorrow or the next day sometime, unless someone has an idea, or points something out I should change. Are there any suggestions on where you all want this thread to be posted at? As in what forum?

IC: The man knelt on the ground, his heavy breathing echoing in the large cavern, his breath frosting in the air before him. Mere feet away, stood a pedestal of stone, a blinding light emanating from within. The man wore simple cloths of cloth, bloodstained and dirty from overuse.

Grinning, the man pushed against his knee, starting to rise from his position only to fall to his knees. Coughing and wheezing, his hands before his face catching the blood expelled from his body. The man groaned, his expression showing just how pained he was. Not from the obvious damage to his body, but to come so far, only to be struck down at the last moment, just before his goal.

"Your body giving up old man?"

The man spun, glaring at a silhouette at the entrance to the cavern, hidden by the glaring sun behind. He reached toward the pillar of stone, if only he could reach it, just a tiny bit further. A sword pierced his back, followed by howling laughter, and giddy snickering as the silhouette left the sword in place and stepped before the pillar. The man screamed and struggled, but to no avail, only deepening his wounds, hastening his unavoidable death.

"Watch me fulfill your dream," the silhouette said, grinning back at him with narrowed eyes, and barely contained laughter. Darkness overcame the man, the reaper having come to take his soul. Leaving an empty shell impaled by a bloodied sword.

Getting up was always hard for Shiva, she hated long missions with a passion leaving her drained and tired, even more so when someone woke her up just after having gotten to sleep. "Get out!" she threw her pillow at the servant who'd come to inform her she had an audience with the king.

She wanted to cry, why couldn't she go on any fun missions, everyone else was in the war having fun to their hearts content. Why couldn't she be doing that? She dragged herself out of bed, and onto the floor, laying on her back she had a perfect view of the plain ceiling of her room.

She reached over and grabbed her armor, it was going to be such a pain getting it on while on the floor, but she really didn't feel like getting up. Strapping on her leather breastplate, interweaving belts held in on, with it's many pockets for hidden knives and picklocks. It left her shoulders and stomach bare, for maximum movement. The leggings fell all the way to her ankles, interwoven belts covering and concealing various pouches and pockets.

With both of those on, she could finally leave, though it took her a good minute to get to her feet. She looked over to her empty sword sheath hanging next to her bed, she didn't really need it. It wasn't what she liked to use to fight anyway, it was mostly to distract people into thinking it was what she used.
Shiva ran her hands through her messy bed head of hair as she walked out of her room. Attempting to tame the short black mess was impossible. She groaned and slumped while she walked rubbing her gray eyes tiredly. Being barefoot didn't bother her in the slightest as she headed for the kings throne room.

Shiva yawned, and blinked blurry eyes, slouched over, her walking posture was horrible. Slowly, she rose her vision, encompassing a dozen stairs and finally coming to rest on an ornate throne, solid gold, carved into the likeness of a tower, with many buttresses and windows.

The throne wasn't all that important, it was the man sitting in it that drew her attention. He had on his armor, thick layers of metal upon metal, making him seem more construct than man. She briefly wondered if he could even walk with all that metal weighing him down. His piercing eyes were the same golden color of his throne.

"Why'd you call me so early? I just got back," Shiva groaned, sitting down cross legged on the red carpet beneath her feet, irritable from not getting much sleep. She glanced over at the kings advisor and winked at his beat red face. She new he couldn't stand the way she treated the king, like anybody else she talked to.

"I called you for your next assignment. We're at war, there isn't any time to rest." The king grinned, "isn't that right Salomon?" he looked over to his advison. Shiva already didn't like where this was going when Salomon smiled. "You'll be training the new recruits for the Battalion," the king continued, looking back to Shiva's stunned expression.

"B-but you know what happened the last time I did that," she was on her feet in an instant. "I can't train new recruits! I mean... I... Can't I just assassinate the king of Rominoth?" she begged, looking panicked. She was referring to the kingdom they were at war with.

"You'll do fine," the king smiled and waved her away, completely ignoring her questions "besides, they're already waiting for you out in the training yard." He noticed her lack of movement toward the door and frowned. "You'll get paid, don't worry, just do it like you always do."

Shiva opened her mouth to object, then closed it with a sigh, walking away even more slumped than before. Her feet slapping against the hard stone in the hallway. Why'd she have to get stuck with training duty anyway? It wasn't like she'd pissed anyone off recently. Well... maybe one or two people, but still, she didn't deserve this! She stood up straight and sighed, might as well get it over with, hell, maybe she'd be able to find some entertainment. Shiva frowned her eyes still half closed as she headed for the training yard.

"You think I should have told her how many there are?" the king asked, looking to Solomon, to which the advisor shook his head.

The training yard was a huge area of grass on the eastern side of the castle, just past the barracks. Full of rings for dueling and sparring, targets for archery practice, dummies for sword practice, jousting arenas, and courts for various sports, topped off  by a huge track that surrounded the entire affair.

The real question for Shiva was how she was going to find the trainees with everyone out here training. Even worse, she just realized she didn't even know how many people she was looking for. "What the hell!" she shouted as she exited through the eastern door to the castle. The guards starred at her in bewilderment as she passed, not wanting to mess with anyone who had the crest of the battalion on their back. A mass of interweaving thorns and chains constricting a sword. "What!?" she glared at the two guards for good measure before stomping away.

Shiva walked out to the middle of the field, which took longer than she wanted it to, she wanted to be gone before nightfall. If she was going to train them, she do it her way, and that meant being as far away from the pleasures of the castle as possible. Taking a deep breath, arching her back and expanding her chest she shouted, "ANYONE HERE FOR BATTALION TRAINING?!" She noticed a number of people turn to stare at her, and glared at those who weren't heading her way. She hoped she wouldn't have to go get the ledgers and hunt anyone down.

OOC: Upon hearing of, or being suggested to the Battalion, you went and signed  the recruitment form, and were pointed toward the training grounds. You were given a sheet of paper to fill out, the form is below. This is more to help you figure out your character than anything else. If you'd like to post it, feel free to do so. Feel free to make up any places you want to add in your description, I made up the world, so there's nothing to worry about if you make up a town or three.

Looks:

Name?
Male or female?
How old?
How tall?
What race?
What kind of build?
What color of hair and skin?
What racial features?
Any identifying marks?
What kind of cloths does this person wear?
Wealthy or poverty stricken?
High or low-born?

Personality:

What kind of temperament?
Any superstitions?
What makes your character happy?
What irritates your character?
Favorites - food/pastime/places/people?
Under what conditions would this person lie?
Under what conditions would this person steal?
What does this person think is worth fighting for?
What does this person fear?
What does this person value most?

Gestures:

What does this person look like when he/she smiles?
What does this person's laugh sound like?
How does this person respond to fear?
What does this person do when he/she is uncomfortable?
What habits does this person have?
What kind of mannerisms does your character have?
What does this person's voice sound like?
When this person is thoughtful, what does he/she do?
What does this person do when he/she is surprised?
What does this person do when he/she is lying?

Back story

Where was this person born? Anything unusual about his/her birth?
Who were this person's parents? How did they react to your protagonist?
What unusual thing happened to your protagonist as a child, or if still a child, what sets him/her apart from his/her peers?
Who was the primary nurturer of your protagonist? What was their relationship like?
Where did this person spend childhood? Did he/she have any special friends?
Explain the reason your character has a certain attitude or characteristic that might be a little odd.
Describe your person's "special place" = the place he/she goes to get away from it all.
Describe a situation that made your person go into their "special place."
What special abilities does this person have?
Where and when did he/she discover these abilities?

Flaws/strengths

What is your character's best trait? Explain
What is your character's worst weakness? Explain.

Felynmyrril

Here's the link for the start of the thread. The Battalion (Training) Once everyone's posted I'll get things going, feel free to interact as much as you'd like. That's what the rp is for. *Smiles* Enjoy yourselves.

Missy

It sounds interesting, though if it's fantasy I would want to bring along an asian (Japanese/Chinese) styled character. And likely she would have received extensive martial arts training from birth.

TheHangedOne

Hmm, let me chip away at this over the night.

Looks:

Name? Leofwine "Bird Man" Carter.
Male or female? Male.
How old? mid twenties; exact age uncertain.
How tall? 5'9.
What race? Half-elf.
What kind of build? Strikes a strange balance between stocky and athletic.
What color of hair and skin? Hair is brown with natural blonde highlights; caucasian, with ruddy skin.
What racial features? Slight point to ears betraying his elven heritage.
Any identifying marks? An oddly shaped birthmark on his left shoulder (back) that looks vaguely similar to a bird footprint.
What kind of cloths does this person wear? Light leather and animal hide.
Wealthy or poverty stricken? Technically poor.
High or low-born? Low-born.

Personality:

What kind of temperament? Amazingly calm, mature, somewhat grim.
Any superstitions? Never harm a raven; that's just asking for death to pay you a visit.
What makes your character happy? Being out in nature, interacting with animals, roasted meat.
What irritates your character? People that are disrespectful of nature, ignorant people, people that act childish.
Favorites - food/pastime/places/people? Roasted chicken, wild grape wine, his glade, his two raven companions (Belda and Obda).
Under what conditions would this person lie? Plenty; too many to reasonably list.
Under what conditions would this person steal? Exceedingly trying situations; life or death.
What does this person think is worth fighting for? Peace.
What does this person fear? Urban environments.
What does this person value most? Peace and tranquility.

Gestures:

What does this person look like when he/she smiles? Odd; he is not one to smile.
What does this person's laugh sound like? Cold, and bitter, like the wind in winter.
How does this person respond to fear? Calmly removing the source of fear, or, calmly removing himself from the source.
What does this person do when he/she is uncomfortable? Remove himself from the situation.
What habits does this person have? Punctuality, talking to animals, talking to himself.
What kind of mannerisms does your character have? Eccentric. Growing up as a loner in the woods means that he has difficulties in social interaction.
What does this person's voice sound like? Soft and whimsical, even by Elf standards; like the wind blowing through the trees.
When this person is thoughtful, what does he/she do? Meditate.
What does this person do when he/she is surprised? It almost always involves a mimicked animal noise and adopting a defensive stance.
What does this person do when he/she is lying? Act like he normally does; not that he is given reason to lie often.

Back story

Where was this person born? Anything unusual about his/her birth? Born out in some woods. His mother and father's relationship was not exactly looked on very highly by either race, so they chose to raise him in seclusion.
Who were this person's parents? How did they react to your protagonist? His mother was an elf, and his father, a human. Both had a fondness of the woods; his mother, Cael'rah, being an elf, was in tune to the forest, and in love with it; Randolph, his father, was a woodsman with great respect for the forest.  They loved him deeply and well, and when he decided he wanted to go out and explore the world, they were supportive of him; he was certainly old enough.
What unusual thing happened to your protagonist as a child, or if still a child, what sets him/her apart from his/her peers? Try his entire childhood, being raised in the forest. He's communed with the animals and nature spirits for most of his life.
Who was the primary nurturer of your protagonist? What was their relationship like? His mother. Their relationship was fairly close to what most would consider ideal.
Where did this person spend childhood? Did he/she have any special friends? The forest. His raven companions have been his special friends for quite some time now; since his mid teens. Belda and Obda are common ravens, but they've also been endowed with an increased intellect and lifespan by the forest spirits, so that they can better watch over the druid.
Explain the reason your character has a certain attitude or characteristic that might be a little odd. His entire childhood. Living in seclusion, growing up amongst nature spirits and animals... this has definitely had a profound impact on his personality.
Describe your person's "special place" = the place he/she goes to get away from it all. A glade out in Wolfclaw Forest, an aptly named forest home to many wolves. The glade, in question, was quite tranquil, however, with a little babbling brook that fed into a small pond. A minor nature spirit lived in  that pond, and Leofwine spent quite a bit of his time with her.
Describe a situation that made your person go into their "special place.": When his father died, after burying him.
What special abilities does this person have? Leofwine is able to communicate with animals (though they are not under any obligation to work with him), as well as being able to perceive and communicate with nature spirits and elementals (who, again, are under no obligation to be nice to him, though many are captivated; his talent is possessed by a rare few, after all).
Where and when did he/she discover these abilities? Around puberty.

Flaws/strengths

What is your character's best trait? Explain: A rough life in the wilderness has endowed him with quite a bit of tenacity; he does not give up.
What is your character's worst weakness? Explain.  Lacking other siblings, he has grown up to be self reliant; however, this also makes teamwork difficult for him.
Check out my poet tree!

Felynmyrril

To MCsc: That'd be fine with me. I don't mind your character having prior knowledge into fighting, most of the character have some kind of background with fighting or spellcraft. Just as long as your character has room to improve, as that's the main focus of the rp, is for the characters to grow.

Missy

Quote from: Felynmyrril on June 30, 2011, 08:11:10 PM
To MCsc: That'd be fine with me. I don't mind your character having prior knowledge into fighting, most of the character have some kind of background with fighting or spellcraft. Just as long as your character has room to improve, as that's the main focus of the rp, is for the characters to grow.

Well I can make her into a finely tuned athletic fighter and still give her room to improve in other ways. One of my favorite martial arts movies was Jet Li's "Fearless". Hmmm, I don't know if you've seen it, but in that one Jet Li plays a guy determined to become the greatest fighter in all of China. Until his pride leads him down the wrong road and he loses everything he has. He ends up wandering until he finds humility. Pretty good movie and I would suggest it to anyone.

TheHangedOne

Sorry about the delay...I've finished the post I started.
Check out my poet tree!

Felynmyrril

To MCsc: I haven't seen Fearless, I think your character'll be fine. We'll see how it works. *Smiles* Go for it.

To playfullchick76: Go ahead and post if you'd like, you guys don't have to post your characters up, though I like that you did. *Smiles* I won't continue the story until everyone's posted, but we can always mess around until then.