News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Essential Board Game Reccomendations?

Started by firepyre, November 03, 2018, 12:00:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firepyre

Having decided to expand my board game collection, I'm looking for reccomendations on what to buy. Not really looking for risk or monopoly, or even stuff like dominion. Chances are someone in my playgroup already has a copy. I'm looking for suggestions for fun, replayable games that I probably won't find on a top 10 list. Hidden Gems.

I currently own:
-Gloomhaven
-Zombicide Black Plague
-Munchkin Quest
-Cards Against Humanity
-Robo Rally
-Firefly: The Game
-Mage Knight

So, what should I get next?

BearGirl

I literally have so many recommendations that it is ridiculous but here are just some:

- Betrayal at House on the Hill (Working as a team, someone will turn traitor in the middle)
- Kill Dr. Lucky (Basically the game before Clue)
- Fiasco (RPG Game. Different storylines. No DM and everyone makes the story)
- The Resistance (Kinda like Mafia/Town of Salem if you're into that. This game gets really intense as you'll have to call our your friends as traitors)
- One Night Ultimate Werewolf (Also Kinda like Mafia/Town of Salem, but more so. Quick, 5 minute game but seriously repayable and they have so many expansions)
- The Guillotine (Card Game. Setting is the French Revolution)
- Sheriff of Nottingham (Market game where you are trying to trick the sheriff. More lying to your friends)
- Love Letters (Another quick 20 minute game but lots of fun!)
- Masquerade!
- Paranoia (RPG Game set in the future. DM is needed for this)
- Two Rooms and A Boom (Works best with 6+ more people. I think it can fit like 20)
- Codenames (Word based game. This is played in teams)
- Coup (Another short game but fun!)
- MANSIONS OF MADNESS (I can not recommend this game enough. It's a board game but it also has functions that need to be used on a TV/Computer. Kinda spendy but it is worth it if you buy it)
- Ticket to Ride (VERY LONG but I enjoy it!)
- Dixit (Image focused game. A bit more chill)

Some of these are more well known than others but all of them I have played again and again and again.

Let me know if you need more suggestions.
My O/O

Current List of Plot Ideas - Open to forum or discord

Azuresun

These are the more obscure ones that I can think of:

Sail To India: A fun little game based around moving cubes round cards to explore, trade and invent. Has a nice catch-up mechanic where you need to take cubes away from where you're using them for you to track your money and VP.

Barenpark: Build a park for bears. :) You start with a grid, and covering spaces on it with tiles will open up new grids and let you draw new shapes of tiles to win points and fill in your park. Random challenges and a race to fill in the grids shake things up a bit. It's fun, and surprisingly strategic considering how simple it is.

The Mind: A fun and simple card game. Basically, every round each player gets a number of cards from a deck labelled 1-100. The cards must be placed in ascending order, and players can place cards in any order. But the team must do this without communicating verbally.

These are a bit more on the complex side:

Castell: You know those giant human pyramid contests they do in Catalonia? If not, look them up, they're amazing. This is the game of managing such a team, recruiting new members to fit in various places in the stack, training your team to expand their abilities, and completing contests and challenges. A little on the complex side, but huge fun.

Elysium: A game of building card sets, with a nice mythic Greek theme. Players take it in turns to buy cards from a common pool, with the aim of forming them into "legends", which will win them VP's. The game is about striking a balance between keeping cards around which will help you now, and ones which will win you the game. One aspect I like is that the card decks are assembled from five of eight mini-decks each themed around one of the gods and with different tricks (Zeus cards give you VP, Hades cards let you move cards into legends, Hermes cards let you bend the rules or re-use card powers, etc), which means each game will be different.

firepyre

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Should keep me busy for a while.