2017: Mass Exodus (Accepting! GBLTQA Friendly)

Started by Bloodied Porcelain, June 11, 2014, 12:46:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bloodied Porcelain

2017:
Mass Exodus

In 2014 the US Census Bureau estimated the world population to be just over 7 billion people and climbing. By 2016 there were over 8 billion people in the world and there seemed to be no end to the rising numbers. Global continued to wreak havoc on the weather systems of the world… extreme winters pummeled parts of the US that were lucky to see a couple hours of flurries in the entire winter. Summers were hotter and harsher than they’d ever been before. Natural resources continued to dwindle as world governments struggled to get enough support to launch substantial clean energy efforts. It was life as it had been for many years on planet Earth.

Today is June 5, 2017. It’s a hot, muggy day in the small town of New Brook, Louisiana. It seems like any other day, really… School is almost out for the summer, adults are off to work, college students are finding their way back home after a busy year at college. Summer camps and sports leagues are being advertised everywhere, and the town action committee is busy organizing the yearly July 4th BBQ to be held in the town square.

Banners line Main Street proudly stating that it’s the town’s bicentennial parade is to be held June 10, marking the town’s 200th anniversary since its founding.

It’s around 7 am when things begin to seem odd. Sirens can be heard in the distance. State troopers and Parish sheriff cars are hurrying in from various locations, and Amber Alerts are being blasted on every local radio and television station, every cell phone is buzzing and blaring its emergency service messages. Though the day remains clear-skied and you can see no reason for the sudden state of high alert… it’s clear something isn’t right.

The Nitty Gritty AKA Game Info
Game Information

Q: What forum section will the game take place in?
A: Extreme
Note: This is to allow for any and all plot possibilities. No player will ever be EXPECTED to partake in a scene/plot arc they are not comfortable with. All posts WILL be tagged for content and anything NonCon or Extreme will be spoilered.

Q: Who is the RP open to?
A: Any and All characters or players. We will not turn away anyone based on gender or sexuality or otherwise. All we ask is that you be realistic. The game takes place in the deep south, in a small town largely removed from the rest of the state as a whole, where strict religion and deep roots in “tradition” are part of life for a lot of people. This means that closed mindedness and bigotry are possible. I will not, however, tolerate any of this behavior OOC. Keep it IC and don’t take it personally if it comes up in the storyline. Players who allow IC and OOC to bleed together and create drama will be warned before being removed from the game.

Q: What is the general story/plot?
A: On a seemingly normal June day, 25% of the world’s population mysteriously vanishes without a trace. The game will follow the stories of those living in a small, secluded southern town located in deep southern Louisiana during and immediately following the mass disappearance. No family has gone unaffected in some way, friends have lost life-long companions, husbands and wives have lost their soul mates. How will society cope? How will New Brook get through such a trying and terrifying time as they come to realize it’s not just members of their own community have disappeared, but the whole world?

Q: What is the setting?
A: Near-Future, Realistic.

New Brook, Louisiana; located in the Plaquemines Parish.

New Brook is a small community, tight knit and supportive of each other though not without its dark spots. Like anyone else, the townsfolk have their secrets and sometimes their habit of clinging to “tradition” causes friction within their community and with the world at large. Still, it’s a fairly peaceful place to live, where the most serious crime in recent years was the busting of a small meth lab in a rundown trailer park just within town jurisdiction five years ago.

Q: What roles may player characters be?
A: Player characters can be anyone in the town of New Brook with the exception of a few key NPCs.
Note: Due to the number of characters that fit these archetypes, I will no longer be accepting new character concepts that involve characters who are not from New Brook and/or are from broken homes.

Q:What are the character creation guidelines?
A: All characters must be at least 16 years or older, human, and have a realistic reason for being in the town of New Brook. I would prefer that they live/work there, but am open to other concepts within reason. Players will be limited to two characters to start, but I may be willing to lift the cap later on once the game is more established.

Q: What about character connections?
A: Character connections are not only totally okay, they're encouraged! Ideally I would like to see players with characters that are related, characters that work together, have been best friends since gradeschool, etc. The sky is literally the limit!

Q: Will you be using a face claim list?
A: Yes. Players must post a face claim before they submit their sheet, and should reference the face claims thread to be sure they are not claiming one that is already listed. After one week if there hasn’t been any word on whether or not the sheet is still being worked on/submitted, the claim will be up for grabs again. Note: The sheet does not have to be DONE, but the GM(s) need(s) to know that it’s in the works.

Q: How NPC's will be handled?
A: Key NPCs will be under GM control and marked as such in any posts they are a part of. Most “background” and “filler” NPCs will be up for general use.

Q: Do we need any extra/outside information to play?
A: No! Anything and everything you could need to know about life in New Brook will be provided. If you have any questions, feel free to ask the GM(s).

Q: What  is the pace of the game?
A: I expect the pacing of the game to be fairly fluid. As it will be largely sandbox as far as control, after the first day (June 5th) has been played out, the timeline will be open to a full week and players will be allowed to play any scene they like during that week long period. The week will stay open as long as is deemed necessary/the players require (within reason). There will also be a flash back/history thread where people can play out anything that took place before the current running in-game dates.

Q: How often do you want people to post?
A: Typically, I would like to see people posting at least once or twice a week, though obviously more posts are always welcome! Due to the fluid time pacing I’m not overly stressed out about people posting X number of times as long as they can meet the 1-2 post per week minimum.

All I do ask is if you are getting in to a scene with a large number of characters please keep in mind everyone’s availability. If you can only post once every week but everyone else in the scene posts multiple times a day, work something out with them and make sure they know your availability.

Q:What type of sexual content do you expect/hope to see in the game?
A: Sex is not a focus in this game, but will not be limited as long as it’s kept realistic. Your character can’t go screwing someone in the middle of town square without worry of being arrested. Your character can’t have marathon tantric sex all night and only get an hour of sleep and expect to operate normally at work the next day. Etc.

Q: Will there be a Co-GM?
A: Possibly. For now we will start with one, but another may be brought on board if the game gets too big for me to handle alone.

Q: How guided will the play be?
A: Largely sandbox, though GM(s) will regularly be putting plot arcs and events in to play for characters to react/interact with. Some of these arcs will be optional, some will be enforced game wide due to their severe nature.

Q: To what extent will players be allowed to create/use environment or setting details?  
A: As much as they deem necessary without metagaming.

Q: How active will the GM be?
A: Very. I’m online every day. If I’m not posting as the GM, I should be lurking and/or posting IC. 

Q: Will there be an OOC thread? 
A: Of course. In fact, there will likely be two… one for general chatter and one for IC-OOC.

Q: How do I contact/approach GM with questions?
A: Until we have a dedicated IC-OOC thread, just posting here in this thread will do.

Q: How will IC decisions be resolved? 
A: I would prefer that for most minor arcs that only involve a couple of characters, the players figure it out themselves. If the plot arc has potential over-arcing effects that will impact a lot of people and/or the town as a whole, however, it should be brought to me as the GM for approval/awareness. In most instances I won’t tell you no, but I do need to be aware of the big stuff.

If at any point a decision cannot be resolved between the players, please bring the issue to me and I will do what I can to accommodate.

Q: Will PvP be allowed?
A: This isn’t a combat-centric game, but in the event that two characters decide to get in to a brawl or what have you, it is expected the players will sort out how the fight goes and what the results are on their own. If absolutely necessary I can help make decisions regarding this, and it is expected that players will respect my final ruling in these situations.

Q: How will who disappears be decided?
A: This is solely a decision that the GM will make. Who and how/when it happens will be dictated by the GM, though players may be asked for input should the GM run in to a problem.

Rules

• Be respectful and considerate.
  • Leave OOC out of IC, and remember IC does not equal a player's OOC.
  • GM word is law. If you have issues with decisions made, voice them in PM.
  • Deal with conflict via PM's. Deal with conflict, don't let things bug you until you explode. Let the GM(s) in on what's happening if dealing with it doesn't seem to be working out. It’s perfectly fine to include the GM(s) from the start too.
  • All posts must use the provided game tag and must be tagged for content.
  • All non-con or extreme content must be spoilered in the post

Credit Where Credit Is Due

I got the idea from this game after seeing the nonstop advertisements and previews for HBO's upcoming show The Leftovers. While the show focuses on life 3 years after the event, however, this game will deviate from that and will take place the day of and in the days immediately following. I have also changed the number of people who disappeared for the purposes of this game. It should be noted, however that this game is not a fandom. There will be no cannons making appearances, NPC or otherwise, though the occasional idea may be borrowed from the show for the purposes of the game.

Thanks to Moraline for putting together her awesome guideline for game info, which was used to structure the Nitty Gritty section provided in the spoiler above.

Thanks to Amelita for letting me copy a lot of her rules/code from our Salem game (if you like HP and want to play it in a darker, more unique setting, you should totally check that game out BTW.

Signature Tag Code:
[url=https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=206247.0][img]https://elliquiy.com/elluiki/images/c/c7/2017MEtag.gif[/img][/url]

Newsbox Banner Code:
[url=https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=206247.0][img]https://elliquiy.com/elluiki/images/3/31/2017MEbanner2.5.gif[/img][/url]

Large Banner Code:
[url=https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=206247.0][img]https://elliquiy.com/elluiki/images/e/e0/2017MEbanner.gif[/img][/url]
I want no ordinary lover. I want a storm. I want sleepless nights and endless conversations at four a.m. I want passion, I want madness.
I want someone who's able to make my whole body shiver from a distance and also pull me close to make sense of all my bones.

~ Bizarre, Beautiful, And Breathtaking ~
~ O/O ~ Seeking ~ A/A ~ Mirrors and Masks ~ Poetry ~
She walked with the universe on her shoulders and made it look like wings.

Keldia

Well, shit, you already know that I'm interested. :-)
Ons/Offs (Coming Soon!) | Storytelling Annex | Absences & Apologies | Post Tracker
Current Response Rate: Playing Catch Up! [~7 Days]

Nico

Maybe interested. Given that I can come up with an idea.

GnothiSeauton

If I can't have you, my love...  I'll destroy you
~World Building Workshop ~ Current Ideas and Requests  ~
~ Preferences ~ Status  ~ Nightmares and Inspirations~
~Gnothi's Stories Without Homes~
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one.

Seeking New Stories

Bloodied Porcelain

Quote from: DarkAngel111 on June 11, 2014, 12:50:54 PM
*first*

Ohai :D

Quote from: Keldia on June 11, 2014, 12:51:22 PM
Well, shit, you already know that I'm interested. :-)

<3

Quote from: Nicholas on June 11, 2014, 12:53:49 PM
Maybe interested. Given that I can come up with an idea.

If you'd like any help brainstorming feel free to poke me :)

Quote from: GnothiSeauton on June 11, 2014, 01:12:07 PM
You already know I'm interested :D

Count me in.

Yay!
I want no ordinary lover. I want a storm. I want sleepless nights and endless conversations at four a.m. I want passion, I want madness.
I want someone who's able to make my whole body shiver from a distance and also pull me close to make sense of all my bones.

Phobetor

I will put a tentative interest check on here because...well...shit, I've been seeing the same advertising and been wondering what a story line around that would be.

So if I can come up with a character and story line...then yes.

BUT right now...TEN.TA.TIVE. ;)
Not Available for new Stories.
Taking a break from E.

eiselmann

interested....thinking my character would be a young English man 16-18 , catching up with family in the town (thinking his grandmothers sister was a war bride and left England for America after the war and the extended family has been able to maintain contact with each other)..would that be realistic for this situation ?
260916 Sigh, on the back end of my laptop dying last week and getting a new one delivered, we now have had some local flooding where I live....fortunately for me no major damage since my house is a few feet above ground, however my back yard looks like the swimming pool I don't have ...so might take a day or two to get back to posting

The Betrayal at Yalta, one of the main reasons the world is the mess it is today

My ons and offs link

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=254364.0

Bloodied Porcelain

Quote from: GrapeTootsiePop on June 11, 2014, 01:36:58 PM
I will put a tentative interest check on here because...well...shit, I've been seeing the same advertising and been wondering what a story line around that would be.

So if I can come up with a character and story line...then yes.

BUT right now...TEN.TA.TIVE. ;)

I will have to make sure I turn that in to a FOR. SURE.

Quote from: eiselmann on June 11, 2014, 01:47:19 PM
interested....thinking my character would be a young English man 16-18 , catching up with family in the town (thinking his grandmothers sister was a war bride and left England for America after the war and the extended family has been able to maintain contact with each other)..would that be realistic for this situation ?

I assume you mean WWII? I don't see why not, though don't expect your character to be able to go running back to the UK immediately when shit goes down. :)

Kokaine

Current Craving/Looking For: Romance, Adventure, Action, Humor, and Erotica. (F/Any)

Current Post Rate: Moderate

Current Posts Owed: 1/8

My O/Os

Black Howling

Bloodied Porcelain

Quote from: Kokaine on June 11, 2014, 01:55:45 PM
I'm in. <3

Woohoo! You know it's gonna be a partay if Kokalove is joining!

Quote from: Black Howling on June 11, 2014, 01:56:10 PM
Interest planted.

Yay Big Bad! <3

I've also got some silent interest via PMs and IMs. I think it's time I start kicking ass and getting the character sheet set up. xD

GloomCookie

I think I'll tentatively throw in my interest as well.
My DeviantArt

Ons and Offs Updated 9 October 2022

SpiralSpider

Ha! I was reading the first part and was already thinking up a character that assumed she was left behind in the Rapture. I hadn't heard about the Leftovers before so it was just a lucky guess.

I think I'd like to play a hillbilly religious nut who's super confused now. Drama drama drama... should be fun!
~ My Ons/Offs, Characters and general RP info ~ Where am I?

"If you get hurt, hurt them back. If they kill you... walk it off."

Derwaysh

You may consider yours truly in the fray as well. My schedule's a bit out of whack at the moment but I'd love to partake in this glorious venture.

Now in one traditional New Brook way;

"Howdy pardners!" ;D
And I, methinks, am gone astray
In trackless wastes and lone.

Pleased to meet you, hope you guessed my name! | A peek is worth a thousand words!

A/A

Finals Week: Posting delays of up to 1 week/10 days

Bloodied Porcelain

I didn't expect so much interest so soon! SO MUCH EXCITE! *flails and runs around* Okay okay... I'm working on setting info now and should have it done enough to start setting up game threads within the next few hours, along with the character sheet. :)

eiselmann

I assume you mean WWII? I don't see why not, though don't expect your character to be able to go running back to the UK immediately when shit goes down. :)
[/quote]

Yeap WW2, as for heading back home immediately after the event , whilst he'll express that desire reality for him will be ....theres no contact with family back home and so the family he has locally is .for want of a better term..'it'.

On top of that he's a kid in a foreign land, regardless of any external controls over travel ,he doesn't have the means, financially or otherwise to actually get back home...
260916 Sigh, on the back end of my laptop dying last week and getting a new one delivered, we now have had some local flooding where I live....fortunately for me no major damage since my house is a few feet above ground, however my back yard looks like the swimming pool I don't have ...so might take a day or two to get back to posting

The Betrayal at Yalta, one of the main reasons the world is the mess it is today

My ons and offs link

Bloodied Porcelain

Quote from: eiselmann on June 11, 2014, 03:10:20 PM
Yeap WW2, as for heading back home immediately after the event , whilst he'll express that desire reality for him will be ....theres no contact with family back home and so the family he has locally is .for want of a better term..'it'.

On top of that he's a kid in a foreign land, regardless of any external controls over travel ,he doesn't have the means, financially or otherwise to actually get back home...

Well don't assume anything about family disappearing or anything. As the GM, I'll be making that call. ;)

Pumpkin Seeds

Bloodied Porcelain

SpiralSpider

Is it too early to put Mandy Moore out there as my face claim?
~ My Ons/Offs, Characters and general RP info ~ Where am I?

"If you get hurt, hurt them back. If they kill you... walk it off."

Kokaine

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on June 11, 2014, 03:21:24 PM
O.O

Punkin! xD *tackles*

I'm deciding on what sort of societal outcast I wanna roll with xD
Current Craving/Looking For: Romance, Adventure, Action, Humor, and Erotica. (F/Any)

Current Post Rate: Moderate

Current Posts Owed: 1/8

My O/Os

Amelita

Gonna keep an eye on this.

Because potential epicness.

RP Etiquette ~ Tumblr ~ Mumbler
~ There is nothing to writing; all you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed ~
Ons & Offs ~ Post Tracker ~ Ladies in Red

Bloodied Porcelain

Quote from: SpiralSpider on June 11, 2014, 03:26:14 PM
Is it too early to put Mandy Moore out there as my face claim?

Not at all hun. :) I should have that thread up soon so it's doubtful you'll have a contender before then.

Quote from: Kokaine on June 11, 2014, 03:29:11 PM
Punkin! xD *tackles*

I'm deciding on what sort of societal outcast I wanna roll with xD

Societal Outcast, eh? I see you're gonna make my life  easy ;)

Quote from: Amelita on June 11, 2014, 03:30:34 PM
Gonna keep an eye on this.

Because potential epicness.

*snuggles her braintwin*

eiselmann

Quote from: Bloodied Porcelain on June 11, 2014, 03:11:51 PM
Well don't assume anything about family disappearing or anything. As the GM, I'll be making that call. ;)

:-) right you are and the plot thickens :-)

My ons and offs link