Pathfinder, 2 Game Ideas.[Full,Game Discussion]

Started by Wintercat, July 14, 2012, 03:31:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wintercat

I have been thinking about starting a new Pathfinder game recently, and recently brought a few ideas up for a talk with a friend. I've narrowed it down to 2 possible games, and would like a group of 3 or 4 players for either one of these. I have tried running games with more players in them but I think that with 3 or 4 players its easier to focus on making the game more suited for all of the characters involved, with larger group it gets a little too easy to leave someone feeling unnoticed and unappreciated.

The two ideas under consideration are as follows.

Broken Crown

It has been four hundred years since the great war ended, and the Tyrant was slain. In the years that the tyrant ruled, great fortresses were built, entire kingdoms became consumed by dark magics and mists containing secrets that are best left forgotten. The bards sing of the triumph of the heroes, and the fall of the Tyrant King, but most of all, they sing about the broken crown.

It is said that when the ancients walked the earth they fashioned the crown to aid with the great realm. It is even whispered that the Gods themselves gazed down and whispered with dread about the power contained in that crown. History has shown it to be dangerous, for in the hands of a tyrant it brought forth an empire and gave him a life spanning over seven centuries before death finally found him at the end of a sword.

Now, whispers arise that among the kings and queens entrusted with the pieces most have forgotten their ancient duty of safeguarding those fragments, and that some have gone missing. Some whisper its merely myths and superstition, wanting to explain the tyrant's powers with some faerytale of old, yet others claim the powers are real. 

Within this land, a small frontier kingdom is in state of shock when a young prince arrives riding within a carriage. A rare enough occurence, but its made even more so due to the fact its driver lays dead, the soldier's horse following with a saddle coated in blood. The prince himself nearing death calls for the town's baron, and the baron in turn summons his most talented adventurers to the keep. A few brief words have been spoken before the prince's life passes, and the kingdom is without a heir to the throne.

The prince was attacked because he held one of the twelve fragments of the crown, and a message written on a partially burnt old scroll, with a single line of writing decipherable anymore.

"Reforged with fire of hatred, anointed with the blood of a maiden sacred, the sigil of power shall be carried high, and war begins when the banners fly."

Crossworlds

Two weeks ago you received a letter inviting you to test a new game, a new unique game that is supposed to change the world of gaming forever. Yesterday they flew you to a secure testing facility, showing you a row of chairs and gloves and boots with electronics attached, as well as a helmet with several wires to a computer unit just behind each chair, all of those linked with cables to a central mainframe.

Two hours ago, you began. Your senses were overridden and suddenly, you didn't just experience a world of fantasy as if watching it on a high definition screen, you lived and breathed it. You had the chance to create an avatar to a game that has been under development for years, a true all-sensory roleplaying game supposed to make World of Warcraft look like an antique relic. It was breathtaking, being able to be so many things, to do so incredible things, and to feel all those sensations. Your mind was completely captivated in the system.

Unfortunately, it turned out to be literal. Half an hour ago, you were all supposed to log out from the system, but you could not. Instead, you've spent the last half an hour in a dream-like state, now awakening once more.

Only now things seem even more real and you are bound in the shape you had last chosen...

These would likely start at fairly low level, from 1st to 5th level. I am willing to discuss it, I prefer 1st level beginnings personally but understand they are not popular with all. However, I am considering using the -fast- experience scale to allow for a growth from the humble beginnings easily enough.

For abilities, considering a point buy with 36 points total for purchasing abilities. That's enough to make a very strong character, but still requiring a few choices to be made.

As for hit points and starting wealth, I generally tend to maximize those rolls.

I generally use the traits but they're optional extras to pick.

Anyhow, I'll pause here and wait to see if there's any interest for either of the two ideas, and then talk this further.
I've taken the Oath of The Drake. Remind me of it if you think I act against it.
A&A

NicciKotor

I am interested in the first game idea, sounds naughty enough to me. Also at least third level is advisable, as first and second level are just there for tutorials for new players. 
Turn on and off thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=69638.0

Give me toys and anime figures and I'll let you spank me as often as you want!

Discord: NicciKotor#8672

Tumblr page: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/freyathemagicalfoxy

Muse

Since the game is Pathfinder, i think level 1 is just fine.  :) 

I'd love to play in either of these, Winter, though I favor the first. 

Oooh!  Will you allow psionics unleashed?  I've had quite a hankering to play a Nomad lately... 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

schnookums

I'm quite interested in this as well,but I'm going to chime in and say I really really like the second idea a whole lot. Just a big favorite of mine, although I'd be interested in playing either idea.

Elven Sex Goddess

I am interested in either idea  and level one start is fine by me.   

Callie Del Noire

I like the idea of Crossroads.. reminds me of one of Elven Sex Goddesses' AWESOME games.. (still miss it) and I'm game with any level.

NinjaWeazel

Both games sound interesting, but I think #1 has my vote.  Either way, level 1 sounds dandy.

Shaitan

both look good to me, though I prefer the second. Hoping for the ranger slot lol.

who149

Both setups sound awesome. The first seems pretty deep and intriguing, while the other is a really interesting twist. I can personally go either way.
Been away, now i'm back. Updated based off changes in my life.

Ons and offs!

Sethala

If you've still got room, I'd be up for the first one.  Though I would prefer starting at higher than 1st level, or at least have some kind of accelerated leveling since forum games tend to go for a long time.

Wintercat

First of all, I hope to keep the game within 3-4 players, because that allows me to focus on each individual better, and aids in keeping any combat manageable. While I would like to invite all along, the reality of the matter is that I've seen that it doesn't work so well at times.

I'm willing to start the game anywhere from 1st to 5th level of experience, with the appropriate amount of starting gold for acquiring gear and maximized hit points, but first I need to know which of the two ideas people would prefer to pursue.

@Muse: Psionics Unleashed is permitted, the psionic powers and items may be more rare than magic but I have no particular need to exclude them.

I try and be fair, not hold favorites, and avoid any first-come, first-served approaches in these. That also means nobody is excluded at the time but there are more people present than I can run a game with and focus on each character properly.

Please give me a small concept text, a couple of lines is well sufficient, and we might even see preferences among the players take place to show what kind of a group would work out well together.

Might be wise to include both options if you find both workable for you, might be the same 1 text who knows (if the character in 2nd option would not divulge any 'out of character' information as it stands).

I'll seek to answer any particular questions in mind. I am generally fairly willing to accomodate players, only 2 classes I've seen cause a bit of a chaffing with some people are Gunslinger and Magus. I'm willing to run a game with either of those classes in use too of course if the players have no problems with them, but given the amount of complaints spoken of them in the past, I thought it fair to mention those two are the ones I'd avoid unless the whole group accepted them.
I've taken the Oath of The Drake. Remind me of it if you think I act against it.
A&A

Muse

Neither gunslinger nor magus bother me, provided they're played by the rules.  I'm quite fond of both classes.  (Same with Summoner.) 

This is the girl I'd like to play.  If you run the second plot, it would be the character blurb for the character I was playing. 

The red haired girl was named Solette once. 
   Her family wasn’t so bad, but she wasn’t in anyway satisfied with tending a farm kitchen, marrying a dull farmer, and dying with a grandchild on her knee.  Motion called her, the mystery of the raod, the wind in her hair when she ran, and the yearning to see the next land over.  The circus came to town one day, and she left with them.  A nimble girl who had never been afraid of heights, she won an apprenticeship to the acrobats.  She got good at it, swinging on the walking the tight rope, swinging from the trapeze.  For twenty years she was the star of the show.  Not a performance went by when—at the most dangerous portions of her act—something in her soul seduced her to fall, whispered that she would land unharmed. 
   Then came the day when—forty feet above the big top floor—her balance falied her.  Maybe she let her balance fail her, the suicidal curiosity had always been so strong.  Seeing the hard ground rush towards her, though, she was anything but calm.  With a scream, she tried to tuck and roll, save her herself from the head first landing. 
   With a rush of energy, she landed on her feet, crouching to her knees, suffering no more harm than some jolting pains up her body from a fall that should have killed. 
   The ring master hustled her off stage itnot he wagons, told her he would send for a cleric.  Before the cleric could arrive, though, a difrent man arrived.  He had short, spikey red hair, a youthful body, and ageless eyes.  “Do you want to know what you just did?” he asked softly.  “Do you want to know why you are still alive?  It is a great power that rests without you, and you are capable of so much more than just that.  I can give teach you.  I  can give you back your youth, give you nearly eternity to see the world and master your powers.” 
   “What’s the cost?” 
   “The usual price of apprenticeship, of course, but it will also cost you this life.  You’ll be reborn, with only hazy memories of who you’ve been, only a fraction of your hard won skills.  Your mind is a dried brick—strong sturdy, but set in it’s ways.  You must loose much of what you are to achieve your true potential.” 
   She looked at him quietly, then nodded, “Teach me.” 
   Five years later, she was nineteen again, as she would be for the next thousand years.  Her acrobatics was coming back to her, but now running was her true joy.  She could outrace a horse, leap over a hut, fall from atop a three story building and land on her feet unhurt.  She was learning true mastery of space time, to skip between here and there without passing the space in between, and to call something into existence from nothing. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Callie Del Noire

Definitely want to try the second idea. Would love to play a tiefling gunslinger or Mage where the character is a writer or artist turned into his creation. Or a Catfolk perhaps but I know that some folks see Catfolk and think cat girl.

Elven Sex Goddess

Character
Name; Nava
Race;  Sylph
Class;  Sorcerer Elemental Air

Sheet

The sound of wind gathered in strength as it whistled through the trees of the forest.   A crackling of energy accompanied the wind that seem to gather.    Whirling around in a semi crotch position.  A lithe pale young woman dressed in a  blue dress.   Long blue hair that hangs well past her waist.   A tiara floral head dress or blue violets  adorning around her head.     Electricity sparks from her left hand.    It is quite apparent that she is the cause of the rush of intake of air that now convalescence towards her.  Causing the hem of the blue dress to swirl and flare out as if gusts of strong wind surge around her. 

At first quick glance she might  be mistaken for human.   Longer then a mere glance the swirling patterns of blue that streak over her body.   The exposed flash of her legs and arms,  show her to be other then human. 

Frail she might appear,  yet Nava as those that rush towards her in attack will learn in the span of a heartbeat.   She is hardly at all weak and frail.   Lifting her hand she release a blast of electricity.  More like a bolt that zips from her finger tips towards the first orc that charges at her.    Her aim is true,  hitting the orc right above the left eye.    The smell of burnt flesh and bone suddenly fills the air, as the orc drops heavily dead to the ground.   

Nava gives a quick look around to see how her companions are faring.  Her sky blue eyes slightly glimmer as she peers unhindered into the darkness around her.   The sounds  of battle, the moans and clang of metal upon metal draw her gaze to each figure of friend and foe alike that  now are locked in a dance of survival.   

Steamdriver

I am interested in joining if there is space for one more. I haven't played pathfinder but I have played some dnd, I do pick up rules fast though.
Much more in depth list of ons and offs. <a href=" http://www.f-list.net/c/morgan%20von%20kerlden ">F-list Profile</a>

NinjaWeazel

Ye Olde Snippet

Monk (Martial Artist)
It was a bad night to be a thief.

Deacon Rey wasn't even on the clock.  His guard uniform was still on the floor of his room where he'd tossed it, the bottle of wine in his hand still half full.  He was strolling through the town, his town, enjoying a pleasant buzz when he heard a yell of pain and fear from an alleyway followed by the sound of heavy sticks on human flesh.  And then silence.

"Aw hell."

Another long pull from the wine bottle and the balance would be just right, so Deacon staggered over to the mouth of the alley and put himself directly in harm's way.  "Hey!  What're you doin'?"  Play up the drunk angle.  Show them the bottle, sway a little bit.  Come to me, dearies...  And the two would-be muggers were glad to oblige.

Deacon took the needed long pull from the wine bottle and hurled it at the closest assailant, the bottle hard to see in the alley's shady half-light until it shattered his face and left him unconscious on the ground.  The second thief barely had time to register he was alone before Deacon stepped in and spat a mouthful of wine in his eyes, following up with a swift flurry of punches to the thieves stomach, chest, and neck and ending with a brutal rising kick between his legs.

Grumbling, Deacon grabbed the two unconscious men by their collars and started dragging them to the nearest guard house.  Whenever they began to stir or groan, he knocked their heads together.  Eventually he turned them over to the sergeant of the guard, saw them tossed into a cell, and headed off for a woman and a fresh bottle of wine.

It was a good night to be a lieutenant in the city watch.

Sethala

Actually, I think I'm going to bow out of this for now.  Good luck with the game.

Callie Del Noire

Dahlia LeRue, Gunslinger.

She spun, her tail flicking to help open her armored jacket as quickly pulled her pistol and flicked something at the small were-rat waving a blade at her. The half-man/rat sneered as he grabbed the coin in the air and held it in front of his face.

"Silver be my bane, but you can't hurt me with a coin demon-bitch." He said as she continued pulling her gun up and thumbed the hammer back in one lightning fast move. The pistol bucked as she shot the coin out of the sneering lycan's hand and into it's face. The were rat dropped like a bag of rocks as she pulled her second pistol with her hand slid 'Painless' into her holster and turned to face the would-be assassin's partner as her now free hand patted at her belt.

"Painless shoots a bit to one side, just a mite." She thumbed the hammer back and sneered at the man as he glanced at the were-rat with the massive hole in his face. "This girl.. I call her 'Hurtful', she drives nails at two dozen paces. And while you don't look like a rat-man.. want to bet I can put another silver merchant into your eye?" She asked as she spun a silver coin in her free hand with a smirk. The would be killer turned and ran down the alley at full speed.

Wintercat

Looks like we have solid row of 4 characters. A Monk, a Nomad (Psion), a Sorcerer, and a Gunslinger.

I'm going to wait a little and listen to any other character ideas people might have, but I like all four that I see already. I think it might be a proper time to start talking about the level a little more. As said, I'd be willing to go from 1st level game to as high as 5th level. I think its usually fun to start at the beginning and watch the character's abilities grow, but given how the player characters are meant to be good at what they do already (in the first) and have had a little test time to play (in the second) already, I think it would be suiting to use a bit higher level.

So, I'll ask briefly here, what's the general preference? 1st level, 3rd level, or 5th level start up? I'm looking at this and thinking about starting the game next week, taking up those people who think they would work best in a team, we already have enough for a team afterall. Any further characters will of course belooked over as equals too, till its time to start.

Still, I like what I see, and know most of those wishing to play, so things are looking promising. Likewise, the votes seem to have been fairly equally divided on which of the two options to lean on, still ready to start either. I'll start providing setting information once that's cleared, saving the other for another time.
A&A

NinjaWeazel

3rd level definitely appeals, it scores us some extra HP, some extra tricks from our classes, that sort of deal.  Also I guess some extra starting money, but that's not really a thang for me I'm just here to punch dudes and have a rockin' bod.

The first game option still appeals to me more, but if the general opinion swings for the second game I can definitely roll with that.

Elven Sex Goddess

I am incline towards first level start.   For I agree its fun to grow the characters from starting level.  Still the appeal of starting either at 3rd or 5th level has it's merits.  Especially with hit points and other abilities.   So it basically comes down to which scenario is chosen for the campaign.   

Broken Crown -  If this is the one chosen then I vote for 5th level  start.   For the group called forth is suppose to be some of the most talented adventurers in the kingdom.   At fifth level  each should have gained some notoriety.  Enough so that the agents of the crown have sent them notice of the characters being needed. 

Crossworlds -   A group in a few hours of getting together I can only see this at starting at 1st level.    Its not like they had been meeting for weeks and it built up over time.  The opening introduction has it the group was invited to a new game test and it is only a few hours before it happens and they awake trapped in the bodies of their characters they are playing.     

Callie Del Noire

I agreed with Elven Sex Goddess.  As much as I like playing higher level toons, 1st level seems better for a crossworlds game. Which I'm still leaning towards. Unless these are all characters that have been 'played' by us a while. like the ones in the Guardians of the Flames series did.

schnookums

Hmm...I'd hate to have someone booted for me now, but I could still post a character idea.

Muse

Well, if we don't have someone capable of normal healing styles, I prefer level 3 or 5 so I can afford a cure light wand and have some chance of using it reliabley.  In general, I share E.S.G.'s thoughts.  :) 

Wintercat

Well, I believe I gave more than adequate time for anyone else interested to post their character ideas up, it seems we have 4-5 people here who have submitted their ideas in public (I don't really like the idea of dealing with private-messaged, 'secret character' types for this game) so we'll go from there.

I'm willing to expand from 4 to 5, I'd ideally like the size of 4 group members best but the game can stretch to fit a 5th with some additions, and while I can give my full attention comfortably to 4 players these days, I have seen enough 'slowness' recently that 5th character is acceptable at the time.

So, given how it looks, if there's no objections I'll start this game as the -Broken Crown- option, with 5th level start up. So, 5th level characters, with maxed hit points, ability points with the method already outlined before, and 10,500 gold pieces in gear. I'd request that nobody gets an item priced over 8,000 gold pieces to begin with, unless they want to give me a real good explanation how all their earnings so far have gone into securing that one magical item. Reason for this? See below, please.

Its a setting where magical items are found, marvelled, and cherished for most part. Potions and scrolls may be available at times, as can masterwork swords and armor, but actually creating magical items is a rare talent that very few people possess. Same is true for psionic items. There's not going to be a large market for magical items out there, selling one may yield higher-than-average price, and that's higher than the -buying- prices in the books. However, there's no such thing as going to a local mages guild and requesting this and that and then this and this and that too.

While magic is present in the setting, its not so ambivalent that it can be acquired with that ease. In the start, the characters possessions are likely from their past deeds, either trophies of great value or rewards from truly grateful patrons. (Saving someone's life might be worth them giving out a family heirlom or an 'artefact of their own adventuring days'.

-----
The kingdom the characters begin the tale in is of mixed type, with humans representing roughly two-thirds of its populace, but the demi-human races have a fair representation in the lands too. The kingdom the characters start in is a frontier kingdom, far from the heart of the old 'empire' that the Tyrant forged in the distant past. The characters begin in a sizeable merchant town of Saroth, its baron a fairly wealthy man from the trade passing through the area, allowing the town to maintain sturdy walls and a small number of guards to protect it.

The small kingdom of Syran is now without a heir, and some whisper if the prince was attacked, it might be also without a king. The baron is seeking to maintain the peace until more news arrive. In the meanwhile, heavy duties are expected to fall upon the shoulders of the ones the town can count on, but the rewards to come are whispered to be worth it.

With the prince dead and the summons from the Baron, its left for the heroes to see what paths remain towards the future, and which of them they are willing to take, or if they will seek to forge a new path of their own.
-----

In matters of education, there are scholars who provide teaching for most children and adults who are able to pay a small sum, in the Baron's town of Saroth this basic education is actually free, but optioanl, as it takes time away from chores that some farmers would rather have their children commit to. Apprenticeship is also common, with people spending years in training.

As far as religion goes, there is a temple in the town that takes care of many old scrolls and documents, as well as tending to the cemetery located outside the actual town walls, but faith does not have a strong hold in the community. Deities are spoken of to those interested in religion, but unlike some of the older cathedrals, the town's temple does not have scrolls old enough to contain much about the legends of the divine.

-----

Feel free to ask on anything you wish to know about the setting in general or about character creation. I'll aim to get the game going during this week, depending on when the people are finished with their characters then.

Also, if the players would prefer to take up the Crossworlds instead, I'll post information on that next then, and it'll begin as a 1st level game. I got the impression the 1st option was getting interest given its higher starting level too, but if people prefer the other option there's time to change.

-----

EDIT:

It was asked who I meant to include, I have been shown a few ideas already and think people have had some good ideas already, I'm still waiting to see the 5th character, but in general...

Elven Sex Goddess, Muse, Callie Del Noire, and NinjaWeasel have shown what they have in mind. I'd have 4 players there already. I had other people speak up too but little word after that, schnookums in turn has been following and though I have not seen a character scetch, I am willing to take up the 5th character concept.

I got asked about this game by a friend in real life, but when told the game was already full they bowed out gracefully. I got the 4 I wanted, but since Schnookums seems still interested, and I have been seeing some games going to rest (people announcing taking a pause from the forums and so) I'm willing to entertain the idea of a 5th member of the team. That's a hard limit though, normally the 4 would have been but given a few now -retired- games i have enough time to focus for a 5-characters team.
A&A