a few questions for music lovers

Started by rick957, August 25, 2011, 09:58:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

Quote from: Aaron Steel on August 08, 2012, 05:20:04 PM
2. Primarily I find out about other artists through my own internet research, playing a game of N Degrees Of Separation with artists I already like. Black Sabbath led me to Ozzy and Dio, Judas Priest led me to Halford and Fight, Accept led me to U.D.O., Sister Sin covered Motorhead and U.D.O., and so on.

I've done this with a band or three.  Styx led me to Damn Yankees, which led me to Night Ranger and Ted Nugent  Touring connections led me to REO Speedwagon, and Kansas.

As for this thread still being on the main page - that happens in many of the more 'social' threads.  Sometimes they'll slip down to page two or even three before someone new wanders across them.  It's more a testament to the universal nature of the topic than the activity level of the forum.  :-)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Chelemar

*waves*  Hi Rick.  thought I would answer your pole.

1.  Do I like songs or artists ? I guess I would say that if I find a song that I love, I check out the rest of the artist's work.  If I find that I love more of their stuff, then I become a fan. :)  So, I favor songs.  If they lead me to love the artist, so be it, if not.  I'm down with that as well.  Though, usually I find that I will love the artist's body of work. 

A few favorites are:
Adele
R.E.O. Speedwagon
Kansas
Night Ranger
Stone Sour
Creed
Green Day
Katy Perry
Skynyrd
Sarah Mclachlan
Norah Jones
Cindy Lauper
Blondie
CCR
Maroon 5
Pink
Train
Pit Bull
No Doubt
Jason Mraz
Les Mis Sound Track

Just too many to list.  :D

2.  I find out about music from friends, radio, DJ'ing, TV shows, movies.  Just about anyplace you can hear music, if something is played that I like, I try and find out about it.  Youtube.

3.  I used to spend money all the time.  Now, I do on occasion.  I don't download.  I find that there is music everywhere anyway, so I put on the radio a lot, just like when I was a kid.  If I don't like what's playing, I change the channel.  At home, I listen to an online radio, or there is a music channel to listen to on TV.  Only if I need music for DJing do I spend money.

4.  OLD AS DIRT

5.  The one song that sticks with me forever is "The House on Pooh Corner."  It's my first memory of loving a song.  I think I was 2 or 3 and my dad, who worked away, recorded it onto a tape for me, and I would play it on my little recorder, and sing  it, and as much as I loved the song, I would cry because I missed my dad as he was gone on 8 day work stretches.  Dad says he had to record "Pooh," as I called the song, 3 times because I wore the tape out over and over.

I remember him singing it with me, and begging him to play it for me on the big stereo when he was home.  The song is so tied with my early childhood, the feeling of love and loss, and my dad,  that I can't hear it today without having my eyes well up.

rick957

Quote*waves*  Hi Rick.  thought I would answer your pole.

*waves back*  Hi Chele!  :)  You can do anything you like with my "pole"!   :o

... just -- couldn't -- resist!  >:)

Chelemar

Quote from: rick957 on August 09, 2012, 12:54:29 AM
*waves back*  Hi Chele!  :)  You can do anything you like with my "pole"!   :o

... just -- couldn't -- resist!  >:)

RAWWWR now there's an offer a girl can't refuse! ;D

Than and learn to type "poll" correctly ... bwhahahah...

:D

Sasquatch421

Hey Rick I got a question for ya... Actually it could be for everyone if it's all right... How many bands do you listen to that are not form the states or your home country? Now I don't mean major bands like AC/DC, Lamb of God, or Judas Priest who are well known. I'm talking bands like Lordi, Tarot, Emphatic, or Alestorm who might not be well known in the country...

rick957

Wow yay a question!  An opportunity for discussion!  I love those.  :)  Although it's hard to guess whether other visitors will respond or not; I hope so.  (I kind of gave up on this thread as a place for discussion and stopped responding to people's posts, although I keep a close eye on the thread, regardless, since so many people have turned up and answered the original questions anyway.  It's a blast to read.)

Sasquatch, I confess that I'm not familiar with any of the less-famous bands you mentioned.  It seems to me that you're asking about two different things, sorta.  Personally I listen to shitloads of bands from countries outside the USA, but they're famous bands that everyone has heard of.  The UK in particular has played as large or maybe a larger role in the history of rock than the USA, so it's hard not to listen to bands from other countries and still be a big fan of rock.  My personal favorite band at the moment is a defunct band from Australia -- Midnight Oil.

Your question seems to also address the popularity of bands -- whether people's favorite bands are famous or not.  Personally, I would guess that about 20% of the music in my collection is from bands that few people in the general public have ever heard of, and the other 80% is artists that almost everyone has at least heard of, although they may not have heard the actual albums or songs I love. 

I'll be intrigued to hear how any other people respond to that point, because now more than ever, it's become less and less likely for people in the general public to focus their attention on the same small handful of artists; people hear about music in so many different ways now that smaller bands have opportunities to reach more people than they used to.  (On the other hand, and rather unfortunately, I think it's nearly impossible right now for any new band to reach a large segment of the public with their music, but the reasons for that are complicated.)

Sasquatch, now that I've given you far more of an answer than you probably wanted, heh, I can't help but turn the same question back on you and ask for your answer to it.  :)  How many bands do you love who aren't big in the USA, and how do you feel about that fact?  How many of the bands you love are small, lesser-known or obscure artists, versus the ones everyone has probably heard of?  You can answer with as much or as little detail as you wish.  Oh, and one more thing -- why did you ask this particular question, why does the topic interest you?  Just curiosity, or is there more to it than that? 

Thanks Sasquatch, and thanks to all the folks who keep participating in this thread in one way or another, as readers or posters ... warms the cockles of me heart, it does.  ;)

Sasquatch421

Actually now that I think about it Emphatic is from Omaha, Nebraska but they are not that well known unless one likes WWE entrance music. I believe they did Wade Barrett's theme...

Somedays though what I listen to mostly ends up being lesser known bands, but usually over a site like Youtube since it's hard to import a lot of the bands I like. Lordi was only over here once if I remember correctly... They did Ozzfest the year that Sharon decided to make it free for the fans. Though what really made me start loving the group was the fact that they dress as monsters and that the lead singer Mr. Lordi makes the costumes himself. Then there others I like such as The Deathstars, Krypteria, Turisas or Alestorm (pirate metal!)

The problem is there is little hope for me seeing most of these bands live since they really don't cross to the states. Other bigger bands that I like and are a little more known, still really don't make an appearance in the states. Nightwish was supposed to do a U.S. tour, but I don't think it came through. Then there is Cradle of Filth, Behemoth or Amon Amarth which I don't think will ever make it over here.

I do like The Black Mages and some Gackt as well, but I can only find their stuff on-line since no stores near me can import them.

The question popped into my head while listening to Lordi last night... They were singing about Jack the Ripper and I got curious to see if they had any new albums out. Then unfortunately they are not popular enough for many of the stores to carry them. It was only for that Ozzfest then they died back out. Come to think of it I had to tear apart how many stores before I could find any Skindred or Kamelot as well....

SinsOfEden

Quote from: Sasquatch421 on August 11, 2012, 10:43:19 AM
Actually now that I think about it Emphatic is from Omaha, Nebraska but they are not that well known unless one likes WWE entrance music. I believe they did Wade Barrett's theme...

Somedays though what I listen to mostly ends up being lesser known bands, but usually over a site like Youtube since it's hard to import a lot of the bands I like. Lordi was only over here once if I remember correctly... They did Ozzfest the year that Sharon decided to make it free for the fans. Though what really made me start loving the group was the fact that they dress as monsters and that the lead singer Mr. Lordi makes the costumes himself. Then there others I like such as The Deathstars, Krypteria, Turisas or Alestorm (pirate metal!)

The problem is there is little hope for me seeing most of these bands live since they really don't cross to the states. Other bigger bands that I like and are a little more known, still really don't make an appearance in the states. Nightwish was supposed to do a U.S. tour, but I don't think it came through. Then there is Cradle of Filth, Behemoth or Amon Amarth which I don't think will ever make it over here.

I do like The Black Mages and some Gackt as well, but I can only find their stuff on-line since no stores near me can import them.

The question popped into my head while listening to Lordi last night... They were singing about Jack the Ripper and I got curious to see if they had any new albums out. Then unfortunately they are not popular enough for many of the stores to carry them. It was only for that Ozzfest then they died back out. Come to think of it I had to tear apart how many stores before I could find any Skindred or Kamelot as well....

The members of Lordi were in a movie four years back. It's called Dark Floors. Really good, even though it's not a very high budget movie.
Turisas is awesome! I got to see them in concert with Cradle of Filth back in March 2011. Very good show. :)
I wish Deathstars would come play a tour in the US. Would LOVE to see them live. :D
  |≈|  Apologies/Absences  |≈|  On's/Off's & More  |≈| 

|≈|  Elluiki   |≈| 
{Between Zyrkirius and Lloyd... Zyr is currently present.}

~ Current avatar ~

|≈|  Zyr's Beast  |≈|  Lloyd's first intro.  |≈|

Sasquatch421

I picked up Dark Floors the first day it came out... Now if I can only convince Mom to give me her copy of KISS Meets the Phantom of Central Park. I think that was the title....

I also have a new found love for Steel Panther and their nice dirty songs like Asian Hooker, Community Property, Party All Day (Fuck All Night) and Eatin' Ain't Cheatin'... Then there is the classic King Diamond and Motorhead.... I've been trying to find out more about Chthonic at the moment and one of these days I'll actually listen to Ghost....

Kythia

Since you insist, Rick  :P
1:  Do you have favorite musical groups, or do you more have favorite songs, without caring much who the artists are?  If you have favorite musical groups (bands or solo artists), please name a few of them.  If you're willing to rank them by personal preference, all the better.

As per our discussion in a different area, I have albums I like.  Some of them are from the same band.  Off the top of my head I can't think of a single band that I've liked every single album of, although I don't want to rule their existence out.  Favourite albums is in a constant state of flux.  Checking in my CD player it's currently stocked with:

Cinderella's Long Cold Winter
Def Leppard's Hysteria
and because of our discussion, Bon Jovi's Cross Road

2:  Where do you look to find new songs or new groups to listen to?  For example, do you rely on word of mouth, or a particular radio station/internet site/magazine/TV show, or something else?

All over the place.  If I find an album I like I check the liner notes to see what bands they shout out to.  I follow several music magazines.  If I band is touring for an album I like I'll usually check out an album or two from the support act if I'm not familiar with them.  Word of mouth isn't massive, I tend to be more a transmitter than a receiver but it does happen.  Last.FM occasionally.

3:  Do you spend money (directly or indirectly) on the artists or songs you like the most?  Or do you enjoy the music in some way that doesn't require any money to be spent, such as downloading free songs or pirated songs?  Absolutely no judgment here, I really want to know.

I've never, to my head, pirated a song.  I have downloaded some albums from illegal sites but only in the case where its an album I have previously bought that's become damaged or similar.  I listen, as mentioned, to Last.FM as well.

4 (strictly optional):  How old are you?

5 (optional):  Please tell me about any one song or album or musical artist that affected you in a deeply personal way.  Go into as much or as little detail as you like -- I'm interested.

Christ, where to begin.  My dad (step dad technically) owned a 12" of Led Zeppelin's IV which I listened to a lot and I tend to give as a fairly pat answer to this question.  In truth though, I'm always listening to music (Bon Jovi's You Give Love A Bad Name at the moment) which means that any positive or negative event in my life has a song attached to it.  A song called Colour Of Your Smile by Night Ranger is my E song because its what I was listening to when I filled in the questionairre.

Lux12

1: I do have a lot of favorite artists . However I do like a sizable amount of individual songs as well. Typically if I like a band or artist I stick with them unless they do something like drastically change their sound  or the members profess a certain ideology I dislike.
As for my favorites, in no particular order:
Coheed and Cambria
Mastodon
Zeromancer
Kamelot
Atreyu
In Flames
Seether
Disturbed
The Sound of Animals Fighting
Antiflag

2: I found out about them in a variety of ways. I read magazines, I look around online, I check recommendations on my rhapsody account and I do some times hear from word of mouth

3:  I buy albums by artists I like whenever I can. I would feel like a jerk if I just downloaded the album.

4 (strictly optional):  21

5 (optional): As for albums and artists, the first one I got really into was Evanescence.  Atreyu whether you love them or hate them did help me out when I was in a jam years ago. Their album The Curse in particular. Then there's Enigma's MCMX A.D. is one that really helps me relax when I feel stressed out and it actually helped me out when I was facing a period of great anxiety in my life. Behemoth's Demigod was actually a spiritual revelation to me as much as it was a musical one. Without that album I might not only have never have gotten into Behemoth I would not have heard of Thelema.

yobo

Quote from: Sasquatch421 on August 10, 2012, 10:36:52 PM
Hey Rick I got a question for ya... Actually it could be for everyone if it's all right... How many bands do you listen to that are not form the states or your home country? Now I don't mean major bands like AC/DC, Lamb of God, or Judas Priest who are well known. I'm talking bands like Lordi, Tarot, Emphatic, or Alestorm who might not be well known in the country...

I listen to loads of bands from abroad that are not major bands, but I do listen to major bands as well of course. I think it is only natural to listen to a lot of small bands from abroad if you have a certain interest in music. Being a former metalhead I naturally delved into metal, and even though Norway has produced a lot of good metal bands, especially black metal bands, there are a lot of bands outside Norway too. Some of the bands I discovered this way was Blind Guardian, Helloween, Queensrÿche, Anorexia Nervosa, Within Temptation, Thyrfing, Vintersorg, Otyg and the list goes on and on. I still like to discover new bands, be it Norwegian or non-Norwegian. :-)

Caehlim

Question 1: Do you have favorite musical groups, or do you more have favorite songs, without caring much who the artists are?  If you have favorite musical groups (bands or solo artists), please name a few of them.  If you're willing to rank them by personal preference, all the better.

Generally if I like one song that a band does, there's a good chance (although not guaranteed) that I'll also like most of their other songs. Checking over the songs that I've been playing lately, some of my favourite groups/artists that I've listened to recently are (in no particular order);

Zeromancer, Bad religion, Nat King Cole, Bloodhound Gang, Blink 182, Lindsey Stirling, George, Loreena Mckennet, Ke$ha, The Corrs, Disco Curtis, Scrillex, Katy Perry, Matchbox 20, Lady Gaga, Adele.

2:  Where do you look to find new songs or new groups to listen to?  For example, do you rely on word of mouth, or a particular radio station/internet site/magazine/TV show, or something else?

Youtube, recommended links. Also word of mouth.

3: Do you spend money (directly or indirectly) on the artists or songs you like the most?  Or do you enjoy the music in some way that doesn't require any money to be spent, such as downloading free songs or pirated songs?  Absolutely no judgment here, I really want to know.

I usually watch them via youtube so... no, no money but it still pays them via advertising. 

4 (strictly optional):  How old are you?

5 (optional):  Please tell me about any one song or album or musical artist that affected you in a deeply personal way.  Go into as much or as little detail as you like -- I'm interested.

Well this is reaching back to the scary time that was my teenage years but Avril Lavigne's song 'I'm with you' actually had a pretty big effect on me. I was about 19ish, had just come to grips with my sexuality and just recently came out as gay. I ended up being pretty slutty at the time and not overly selective with who I was dating. I was listening to the song and paid attention to the lyrics, realizing that I was dating people just because I wanted to be with someone at all, rather than them specifically.

Caused me to re-evaluate some decisions and be a bit more careful about who I dated.
My home is not a place, it is people.
View my Ons and Offs page.

View my (new)Apologies and Absences thread or my Ideas thread.

Caehlim

Quote from: rick957 on August 11, 2012, 01:39:15 AM
My personal favorite band at the moment is a defunct band from Australia -- Midnight Oil.

You can't get much more defunct than Midnight Oil has managed. The lead singer Peter Garrett has gone into politics and turned into such a classic politician that it's hard to remember he was ever one of our big protest musicians.

rick957

Quote from: Caehlim on November 09, 2012, 11:01:17 AM
You can't get much more defunct than Midnight Oil has managed. The lead singer Peter Garrett has gone into politics and turned into such a classic politician that it's hard to remember he was ever one of our big protest musicians.

Aw.  :(  Does this mean he's become some kind of scumbag politician?  A little more info would be hugely, hugely appreciated.

Caehlim

Quote from: rick957 on November 09, 2012, 01:35:12 PM
Aw.  :(  Does this mean he's become some kind of scumbag politician?  A little more info would be hugely, hugely appreciated.

Scumbag is way too harsh a term. He's currently the Australian Minister for Education.

About 2 years after the oilz disbanded, he joined the Labour Party (think the equivalent of the democratic party in the US. It's the most left-wing of our two main parties). In 2007 the labour party won and he was given a position on the cabinet as minister for the environment, heritage and arts. After the 2010 election he was given a different cabinet role and made the Minister for Education, early childhood and youth.

I've seen him on interviews, and it's not so much that he's gone evil or given up on improving the world. But he used to be a very plain-spoken man who said whatever was on his mind and now when you see him in interviews he's always very careful to toe the party line and watches what he says. It's quite a change. He doesn't seem much like a rock and roll rebel anymore.

On the plus side, he's managed to get into quite a high office, with serious potential for change so I don't blame him for taking the opportunity and giving up on the music.

rick957

*sighs with relief*  For a second there I thought you were going to tell me that he was corrupt or involved in some scandal or something.  That would have seriously bummed me out!

I don't know enough about him or about Australia or about Australian politics to feel good or bad about his career change, but naturally, I would hope that the integrity and honesty that he brought to his music would translate well into his current sphere of activity.  But you never know what people are really like -- famous people I mean -- or how they can change over time.

I can tell you that Midnight Oil rocked like motherfuckers right up to the end of their career, because I got to see them several times here in the States on their last times passing through.  So I can't complain about that at all!  Well like I said, they're my current favorite band, and I approach music with so much seriousness and passion that it means a lot for me to pick a favorite like that.  To me at least.  :)

I'm somewhat familiar with most of the biggest and most acclaimed bands in the history of rock, and I'd put Oil up there with any of them; they were among the small handful of the greatest artists rock music has produced.  Hands down, no question about it.  *sigh*  I miss them terribly.

On the other hand, they went out on a high note -- another great album and an earthshattering tour (for those few who saw it) -- and all things considered, I'm glad they stopped before they started to suck.  Most bands, even the best ones, stick around until they turn into caricatures of themselves and sully their body of work with their latter-day disappointments; not so with the Oils.

Sadly, I don't know anyone besides a couple friends of mine who give a flying fuck about Midnight Oil, so I don't expect people to agree with my take on them.  But that's okay with me!  It's wonderful to be part of an ocean of fans for certain bands, but there can also be a special pleasure in having a treasure all to oneself.  :)

Anyway, thank you very much for the details!

Caehlim

No problem.

The oilz are still well known here in Australia, at least by Australians of my generation or older and you'd be hard pressed to find someone who couldn't sing along to Beds are Burning. I think it's because he's so widely regarded and admired as an artist that he's subject to harsher criticism for taking up a political career.

Now I think of it...if you're interested in discovering some unique Australian bands, have you ever heard Yothu Yindi? Absolutely amazing rock band, who sing about the issues facing indigineous australians with a mix of both aboriginal and western musical traditions.

Here's probably their most famous song. (Note: when I found this one, the first recommended video over to the right in youtube was Beds are Burning by midnightoilz).

Treaty - Yothu Yindi

rick957

A land where everyone knows at least one Midnight Oil song.  Wow.  That's, like, my idea of heaven.  ;D

Thanks so much for reminding me of "Treaty" and Yothu Yindi.  I think they might have toured some with the Oils once, or had some other connection I heard of.  Regardless, I haven't heard that song in at least a decade and possibly two decades or more -- I don't recall when it came out, but I want to say it was in the late 80s or early 90s.  I've been wanting to buy a CD with that song on it ever since the first time I heard it, but I had almost forgotten all about that band, until you just now mentioned them and reminded me.  Thanks for that! 

Lux12

Are there any other bands out there like Yothu Yindi?

rick957

Caelhim might be able to give a better answer, especially since I've only heard the one Yothu Yindi song.  If you subtract the aboriginal Australian instruments and vocal parts, the rest of the song reminds me of a lot of great 80s rock (ex. U2, Peter Gabriel, Smiths, etc.). 

Three such bands whose music I consider essential:  Midnight Oil (also Australian); Talking Heads (mentioned previously in this thread); the Clash (they were -- uh -- gods).  Two albums I'd recommend to anyone, with songs that are still played on classic rock radio:  one and two.

"Treaty" also made me think of Joe Strummer (Clash vocalist) and the albums he did with the Mescaleros, long after the Clash was gone.  That or Paul Simon a little bit, but maybe that's just the "world music" vibe from the video and vocals.

Sorry that I can't provide video links, but I suspect they're not hard to find for any of those groups.  Here's a little background info about YY.

TMI?  Sorry!  I'm a music nerd!  :)

Caehlim

Quote from: Lux12 on November 10, 2012, 05:41:55 PM
Are there any other bands out there like Yothu Yindi?

I never really heard any with that same distinctive sound.

Archie Roach is another good Aboriginal artist though not in quite the same style.

Archie Roach - Took the Children Away

There's Gondwanaland but they seem a bit more, easy-listening and electronica than aussie pub rock.

Gondwanaland - Drought

Lux12

Well I must say I'm rather pleased by Godwana Land.I have a particular fondness for new age music though.The Aboriginal sound has a rare trance like hypnotic quality that is rare in many forms of traditional music.

Caehlim

Quote from: Lux12 on November 10, 2012, 08:12:49 PM
Well I must say I'm rather pleased by Godwana Land.I have a particular fondness for new age music though.The Aboriginal sound has a rare trance like hypnotic quality that is rare in many forms of traditional music.

Well the didgeridoo is a droning instrument. In order to play it you actually have to learn this circular breathing technique which lets you continuously play without pausing for breath. It's a very challenging instrument to play, but it gives it that very unique sound.

There's another aboriginal band that I forgot about, Warumpi band. Here's a video of them performing with Midnight Oil.

Midnight Oil and Warumpi - Blackfella Whitefella

Lux12

I see.If I recall correctly, the same technique is used by opera singers when performing.Circular breathing that is.