Shadowrun 4A: Seattle Nights

Started by Jaded, May 16, 2013, 06:29:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sethala

Ok, going through to buy items now.  What limits are there on starting gear?  I believe I can't take anything with a rarity higher than 6, but is it possible to get Restricted and Forbidden items?

TheGlyphstone

...Can't believe I missed that rule, but it was staring me in the face. Looks like I know where another 10 of my BP are going for Restricted Gear.

Flying Tengu

As I understand the rule, you can't get gear with a quality higher than 6, not rarity.  Rarity can't be higher than 12, and I don't think R or F matters.  Except in that they're illegal, of course!

TheGlyphstone

Yeah, it's Rating cap of 6 and Availability cap of 12.

ShadowFox89

If I were to make a character, what sort of dedicated focus would we need? I mean, I have this character: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=514348

But never finished her items.... and lost the notes on where her BP was spent exactly.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Jaded

Quote from: Sethala on May 21, 2013, 12:03:02 AM
Ok, going through to buy items now.  What limits are there on starting gear?  I believe I can't take anything with a rarity higher than 6, but is it possible to get Restricted and Forbidden items?

There are rules (6/12 sounds right, though I don't have my books onhand).  There are qualities if you want to take something beyond that.  I don't think restricted or forbidden require anything special unless they are above that availability.  They are just not something you want to get caught with without a license. 

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on May 21, 2013, 12:48:12 AM
If I were to make a character, what sort of dedicated focus would we need? I mean, I have this character: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=514348

But never finished her items.... and lost the notes on where her BP was spent exactly.

I'm not sure on what focus is needed at the moment. 

Muse: Magician
TheGlyphstone: Physical Adept
Sethala: Covert Ops
Thorn14: Sniper / Rigger?
Trilogy: Technomancer
Flying Tengu: Face

Maybe a dedicated support person?  A jack of all trades.  Driver, pilot, medic, etc?

ShadowFox89

Hmm.... Problem with a jack of all trades is that you often become a master of none. The character I linked, with a good car, would have around 7 or so dice for the purpose of piloting, with her Reaction of 8.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Xerial

This has me breaking an overly long work induced absence/lurk and considering a "Mr. Lucky" build...

Flying Tengu

Well, I've managed to get things mostly done.  I've still got 6 bp left, if anyone can see any gaping holes in my mechanics.  Then, I need a street name, something Russian.  Tsarina?  Nikita?  Anyone else have any ideas?

Name: Talia Suvorov
Alias:

Talia was born to wealthy shareholders in the EVO company.  An old family, they were only moderately wealthy until EVO relocated to Russia, at which point their star rose rapidly.  Although given EVO's relatively open policy towards metahumans in positions of power, Talia's parents were still not so pleased to have a metahuman, even an elf, in their family tree.  As such, while Talia was raised as a child of privilege, and educated her as though she were going to be given a position in the company, it became clear pretty quickly that the talents she was developing would never be put to use.

That wasn't good enough for Talia.

Feeling little loyalty to a family that had no need for her, Talia struck on her own.  She briefly entertained offers from other corporations for low-mid level positions, but she decided that working for herself would be better than working that far from the top for someone else.  She moved into the Shadowrunning game with great enthusiasm, enjoying the challenge of finally using the skills she was trained to use.

Taila is an elegant young woman, with pale, aristocratic features.  She has expensive tastes and style.  She is fiercely independent, does not want to be beholden to anyone, and resists becoming a permanent member of groups.  She does, however, very much enjoy being temporary members of groups, especially groups that respect her skills.  Despite having the traditional elven thinness, her (mostly; a few gene treatments included) natural beauty has gifted her with generous feminine curves.

Character Sheet

Elf Female Age 22
Height 5'10" Weight 123

== Attributes ==
BOD: 3
AGI: 5
REA: 4 (7)
STR: 2
CHA: 7
INT: 5
LOG: 3
WIL: 2
EDG: 1

== Derived Attributes ==
Essence:                   2.0
Initiative:                9 (12)
IP:                        1 (3)
Physical Damage Track:     10
Stun Damage Track:         9

== Active Skills ==
Con                        : 4                      Pool: 14
Disguise                   : 4                      Pool: 9
Dodge                      : 4                      Pool: 11
Etiquette                  : 4                      Pool: 14
Leadership                 : 4                      Pool: 14
Negotiation                : 4                      Pool: 14
Palming                    : 4                      Pool: 9
Perception                 : 3                      Pool: 8
Pilot Ground Craft         : 1                      Pool: 8
Pistols                    : 5                      Pool: 10

== Knowledge Skills ==
Wines                    : 3               Pool: 8
Art                        : 2                      Pool: 5
Bars and Clubs             : 3                      Pool: 8
Cantonese                  : 3                      Pool: 8
English                    : 5                      Pool: 10
German                     : 3                      Pool: 8
Japanese                   : 3                      Pool: 8
Russian                    : N                      Pool: 0
Sperethiel                 : 1                      Pool: 6

== Contacts ==
Arms Dealer (2, 2)
Fixer (4, 2)
Mr. Johnson (3, 2)
Street Doc (2, 2)

== Qualities ==
First Impression
Low Pain Tolerance
Low-Light Vision

== Lifestyles ==
High  2 months

== Cyberware/Bioware ==
Commlink
Datajack
Reaction Enhancers Rating 1
Smartlink
Tailored Pheromones Rating 3
Wired Reflexes Rating 2

== Armor ==
Actioneer Business Clothes5/3

== Weapons ==
Unarmed Attack
   Pool: 4   DV: 1S   AP: -   RC: 0
Yamaha Sakura Fubuki
   +Smartgun System, Internal
   +Sound Suppressor
   +Stock
   Pool: 12   DV: 4P   AP: -   RC: 1

== Gear ==
Ammo: EX-Explosive Rounds (Light Pistols) x200
Ammo: Regular Ammo (Light Pistols) x200
Ammo: Stick-n-Shock (Light Pistols) x200
Fake SIN Rating 4 x2

TheGlyphstone

I can't decide...Wall Running Adept Power, or +2 Perception dice and +1 Mystic Armor?

Option C: None of the Above! Eidetic Sense Memory instead.

Jaded

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on May 21, 2013, 11:09:27 AM
Hmm.... Problem with a jack of all trades is that you often become a master of none. The character I linked, with a good car, would have around 7 or so dice for the purpose of piloting, with her Reaction of 8.

I'm not sure, we may have to wait until a few more character sheets are in to see where any gaps are.

Quote from: Xerial on May 21, 2013, 12:40:04 PM
This has me breaking an overly long work induced absence/lurk and considering a "Mr. Lucky" build...

Thanks for your interest!  Unfortunately we are full at the moment, but if you like I can keep you in mind in case of a drop. 

Looks good Flying Tengu, I'll go over it in more detail when I can.  Natasha, Tatianna, Katerina, Svetlana. 

Xerial

Still doesn't stop my muse for creation...  :D been too long since I cooked up a character for SR4A... damn my compulsions.

ShadowFox89

Quote from: Jaded on May 22, 2013, 03:25:15 AM
I'm not sure, we may have to wait until a few more character sheets are in to see where any gaps are.

Alright :)

Well, I'll stick with what I have for her for now, but some stuff can always change. Can never have too many stealth/combat experts.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Trilogy

Almost done with my sheet!

One question though: do contacts have to be single people, or can I take a group of people as one (assuming all members have roughly the same capabilities)?

TheGlyphstone

Pretty sure it has to be a single person, even if they're a typical member of a group.

Sheet's done...working on background, but would anyone mind looking me over for gross deficiencies?
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=574297

Xerial

Group Contacts are available, but they'll cost you more. Runner's Companion has the rules for them.

Trilogy

Alright, character sheet here! Though I have some questions that might lead to slight modifications...

Character Sheet

Name: Katie "Andromeda" Andrews
Metatype: Elf                   Ethnicity:White/Asian
Age: 20      Sex: Female    Height: 5'4''     Weight: 130
BOD: 3    CHA: 5
AGI: 3     INT: 4
REA: 4     LOG: 5
STR:  2    WIL: 4   (-200)

Edge: 2
Essence: 6
Resonance: 5
Initiative: 8
Initiative Passes: 1/3
Matrix Initiative: 9          (-50)

SKILLS 
Tasking Group 5 (-50)
Cracking Group 4 (-40)
Electronics Group 4 (-40)

Influence Group 4 (-40)

Perception 2 (-8)
Dodge 2 (-8)

Knowledge Skills (27 free points)
Matrix Culture: VR Club Scene, Matrix Idols (Street) 4
Literature: Ancient Mythologies (Academic) 2
General Matrix Security Protocols (Professional) 3
Technomancer Lore (Street) 2

Languages:
English N
Elvish 1
Japanese 1 (-2)

QUALITIES
Technomancer (Stream: E-Scapists)(-5)
Natural Hardening (-10) (1point of biofeedback filtering)
Paragon: Idoru (-5) (+2 Con tests, +1 Crack sprites) (Wil+Logic (3) to avoid manipulating data in my favor)
Chatty (-10) (+2 to Social Skills in AR/VR)
Fame (National) (Matrix Only) (-10) (?)

Media Junkie (Moderate) (+10)
SINner (+5)
Day Job (+5)

IDs / LIFESTYLES / CURRENCY
Two Fake SINs (Rating 4) (To be fleshed out)
Two Months Middle Class Lifestyle

CONTACTS 
VR Club Manager (-8) (To be named)
The Manager of an up-and-coming VR club. Lacks the massive web of connections that some of the truly established out there have, but makes up for it by knowing a lot of very interesting, “bleeding-edge” sort of people (like Andromeda.) They may or may not be all they’re cracked up to be, (like Andromeda) but he gets it right often enough to be steadily growing his brand. Good for contacts in the VR entertainment and music industries and parts of the coding/hacking community that tend to be his patrons.
Connection: 4
Loyalty 3

“Androtaku,” BBS Admin (-7)
The owner and administrator of the biggest (well, only) fan BBS dedicated to Andromeda’s net idol career. While not particularily skilled or well connected, he does have the best capacity to rouse the motley group of minor coders, hackers, webheads, idol otaku, and clubgoers who consider themselves Andromeda’s biggest fans- and he would do anything to help Andromeda get her ‘big break’ (whatever that means.) At least one or two of them have to be good at something, right?
Connection 2
Loyalty 5

WEAPONS 
Yamaha Pulsar

ARMOUR 
None

COMMLINK 
Renraku Sensei Commlink with Ichi OS (-1.6k)
(Stats unnecessary, as she only carries it for appearances)

LIVING PERSONA 
Firewall: 4
Response: 4 (5)
Signal: 3
System: 5
Biofeedback Filter: 5
Matrix Init: 9
Passes: 3

COMPLEX FORMS 
Analyze 4
Reality Filter 4
Track 4
Armor 4
Exploit 4
Stealth 3
Spoof 4
Browse 3
Edit 3
Medic 3

SPRITES 
Medusa (Rating 6 Crack Sprite) (5 Tasks)
Pilot 6 Resp 7 Fw 6 Init 16 IP 3 Edge 6
Skills: Computer, Electronic Warfare, Hacking.
CFs: Analyze, Exploit, Stealth, Decrypt, Spoof
Powers: Suppression

Leviathan (Rating 5 Tank Sprite) (5 Tasks)
Pilot 5 Resp 6 Firewall 6 Init 10 IP 3 Edge 6 Res 6
Skills: Cybercombat
CFs: Attack (AP-2), Attack (Rust), Blackout, Nuke, Black Hammer, Armor
Powers: Assault

Perseus (Rating 5 Fault Sprite) (5 Tasks)
Pilot 5 Resp 7 Firewall 6 Init 15 IP 3 Edge 5
Skills: Computer, Cybercombat, Hacking
Cfs: Analyze, Armor, Attack, Stealth, Exploit
Powers: Electron Storm

Background (Still needs a little work)

Andromeda (Persona)

Katie Andrews, on the surface, had a very boring, ordinary childhood. She was raised by a middle-class family working for a medium-sized corp. A quiet, reserved girl, she never had more than a few friends, and tended to prefer reading a book or using the Matrix to interacting in person. Katie Emerged as a Technomancer at a very young age. Her parents were the permissive sort, always trying to encourage the seemingly timid Katie to open up and try new things, so they allowed her to use full VR very early.. just in time for the Crash.

After waking up in the hospital, slowly but surely, Katie’s powers began to develop. At first they caused her to retreat even further into herself, the constant stream of data barraging her senses making it difficult for her to interact with either world, but as she began to grow into her abilities and tune out the unnecessary noise, she began to become intrigued, spending more and more time exploring the newly rebuilt Matrix. Then, one day, while diving into some deep, hidden node, she discovered a being that changed her life- Idoru. The Paragon reached out to her, and in a moment of contact revealed her true nature, the real purpose behind her Awakening. She wasn’t just some middle-class corp-kid destined to be a housewife or desk jockey like all the rest. She was a scion of the Matrix, part of a new breed, the true inheritors of this new, better world. In meat space she may be Katie Andrews, but here, she was Andromeda. Here, she could be a Queen.

It didn’t take long, of course, for her parents to notice the change in their daughter, spending more and more time in full VR, until finally they caught on to her new powers, finally estranging her from them completely. Rather than complicate things, Katie moved out as soon as she was of age. She had work to do, after all, and would prefer to not involve them.

Since then, Andromeda has been steadily gaining influence and popularity amongst the up-and-comings of the Matrix’s social scenes, particularly the club and hacker/technomancer circles. She’s become something of a ‘Net Idol,’ known for her alluring, ever-changing Persona designs, her appearances at important VR club shows, her occasional virtual graveur photoshoots-- and her always implied (but never confirmable status) as a Shadowrunner and Technomancer. She has to make a living somehow, after all. Popularity hasn’t started to pay just yet, especially when she can’t reveal her meatspace identity.

Online, Andromeda is flirtatious and talkative, with a quick wit and occasionally fiery temper- worlds away from the quiet, timid Katie. Which, given the amount of time she spends in VR, begs the question: is Andromeda Katie’s alter ego, or is Katie Andromeda’s?

Hope everything looks ok. My question is- can I take the Fame quality as Local, and have that count on the Matrix instead of in a physical location? As in, her online identity is famous throughout parts of the Matrix, but people wouldn't recognize her in meatspace.

TheGlyphstone

Yoinking your formatting, Trilogy, hope you don't mind. :)

Here's my Forum-friendly sheet, now with backstory.
Character Sheet

Base/Race/Attributes (210 BP)
Name: Paradox
Metatype: Troll                   Ethnicity:White
Age: 26      Sex: Male    Height: 2.5m/8'3''     Weight: 700 lbs/317kg
BOD: 7     CHA: 2
AGI: 5/7   INT: 3
REA: 4     LOG: 3
STR: 9/11  WIL: 3     

Derivatives/Special (65 BP)
Edge: 1
Essence: 5.1
Magic: 5
Initiative: 8
Initiative Passes: 3
Matrix Initiative: 5         

SKILLS  (78 BP)
Athletics Group 2
Archery 5, Bow Specialization
Dodge 3
Infiltration 3
Unarmed Combat 3

Knowledge Skills (18 free points)
Academic: Bioware Design 5
Professional: Security Design 4, Corp Specialization
Professional: Security Procedures 5, Evo Specialization
Academic: Fifth World Mythology 2

Languages:
English N

QUALITIES (0 BP)
Adept (+5)
Type O System (+30)
Mild Amnesia (-10)
Mild Flashbacks (-5)
Weak Immune System (-5)
Sensitive System (-15)

IDs / LIFESTYLES / CURRENCY
One Fake SINs (Rating 3)
One Month Low Class Lifestyle

CONTACTS 
Bobby Knives, Street Doc
Bobby knew he had drawn a bad card when the weird, 'wared out, wizardly troll just appeared out of nowhere in his clinic, and he never warmed up to him either. Paradox's money is as good as anyone else's, but he does his best to stay unconnected outside of business.
Connections 3
Loyalty 1

WEAPONS 
Strength Rating 11 Bow (11.0K NY)
100x Arrows (0.5K NY)
100x Hammerhead Arrows (0.5K NY)
20x Stick-n-Shock Arrows (1.6K NY)
20x Explosive Arrows (0.2K NY)

Shock Gloves

ARMOUR 
Chameleon Suit w/ Nonconductivity 3, Thermal Damping 3, Fire Resistance 3, Insulation 3 (10.85K NY)
Unmodified Lined Coat (worn over chameleon suit for style) (0.7K NY)

CYBER/BIOWARE
-Rating 2 Muscle Augmentation (0.2 E, 14.0K NY)
-Rating 2 Muscle Toner (0.2 E, 16.0K NY)
-Rating 2 Synaptic Boosters (0.5 E, 60.0K NY)

COMMLINK 
Renraku Sensei Commlink with Iris Orb OS (2.0k NY)
Response 2, System 3, Firewall 3, Signal 4

OTHER EQUIPMENT
-External Smartbow system on Bow (0.4NY)
-Contact Lenses w/ Flare Compensation, Rating 3 Visual Enhancement, Smartlink (1.0K NY)
-Earbuds w/ Spatial Recognizer, Rating 3 Audio Enhancement (0.43 NY)
-Voice Mask (0.5 NY)

ADEPT POWERS
Magic Rating: 5
Remaining Power: 0.25P

-Enhanced Strength 1 (0.75P)
-Enhanced Agility 1 (0.75P)
-Enhanced Perception 3 (0.75P)
-Infiltration Boost 2 (0.5P)
-Killing Hands (0.5P)
-Eidetic Sense Memory (0.5P)
-Rapid Healing (0.25P)
-Sustenance (0.25P)
-Quick Draw (0.5P)

Background

Magic and 'wares just don't get along. It's a fact of existence that everyone knows, and accepts. Organic vat-grown bioware might weaken an Awakened person's essence less than pure chrome, but it's still hostile to magic, and too much of the stuff turns a mage mundane like everyone else. But you don't get ahead in life by sticking too close to the party line, even if the party line happens to be the one reality is touting...which is where the Transcendence Project started, in the brains of Evo's board of directors filtered down to the megacorporation's black-ops R&D department. If they could develop new strains of bioware, special designs compatible with Awakened minds and bodies that would work in harmony with Essence instead of poisoning it, they would have a lock on a market no megacorp even considered potentially feasible. New cultures had to be grown from scratch, using biomaterial harvested from Awakened plants and animals - and new test subjects would need to be acquired. From the belly of the underclass, Evo merc teams began a systemic hunt for adepts and magicians, kidnapping them and spiriting them away to a short and extremely unpleasant new life as live testbeds for the experimental Awakened bioware designs.

Roadblocks in progress inevitably appeared, but the science teams hardly faltered - rather than wait for a breakthrough in tempering biowares to be Essence-friendly, why not temper Essence-users to be more bioware-friendly? They continued to kidnap and experiment on SINless magicians, but this time focused on using their already patented and well-developed nanotechnology to rework captives on a genetic level, 'softening' them to make their bodies more receptive to implantation. One of these second-generation subjects was a troll, of no particular note or consequence except for a very high level of magical sensitivity and potential and the bad luck to be scooped up by an Evo scout team. In the hidden labs, surgically tormented and invasively altered on a daily or hourly basis, his base genetic structure was rebuilt nearly from the ground up to be a prime test-bed for the upcoming new set of experimental 'wares, and his abused body healing at supernatural rates to compensate. The team of Shadowrunners who busted up the lab didn't know who he was, had never met him, and didn't even know what they were destroying, only that rumors of a top-secret bioresearch program had leaked out, and a rival megacorp had decided to get proactive in market competition. Almost everything burned, but a few samples and subjects escaped in the confusion, including our nameless troll, whose adept powers had again blossomed to appropriate need, gifting him with magically enhanced stealth to creep free of the ruined laboratory and away from the Evo cleaner teams that came to sterilize the site.

Alone, penniless and identity-less, his mind in tatters, he made his way one step at a time to Seattle - not aiming for the city in particular, but it ended up where he stopped to get fixed up after being injured by a small band of Humanis Policlub-aligned thugs. He snuck into the nearest street doc clinic he could find, with the handful of credsticks he scraped off the would-be mugger's corpses, and nearly gave the doctor a heart attack of his own. Trolls simply couldn't be that quiet, and the fact that one was standing in his clinic was a genuine paradox. With no better name to take, and no idea who he was, where he had come from, or how he had come into possession of top-grade bioware that was clearly custom-designed specifically for him, Paradox took his first steps into the world of Shadowrunning.

It went fairly well, as such things do, and he gradually built up a nest egg that he liquidated into more and better equipment to make his jobs easier. But he still had bad dreams, of shiny steel tables and equally shiny steel knives, voices reciting complex formulae while drills and needles ravaged his body. Sometimes the dreams came while he was awake. He had been somewhere, wasn't supposed to be here, and figured eventually someone would come looking for him. Being ready for when they showed up seemed like a good idea.

Jaded

The character sheet thread is located at: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=174813.0

If you have finished a sheet (even if only a draft), or when you finish it if you haven't, please post it there so I can more easily find it.  Thanks!  For those people with finished sheets, I rolled starting nuyen and recorded your damage tracks, please let me know if I made a mistake on those. 

The OOC thread is located at: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=174814.0

Quote from: Trilogy on May 22, 2013, 10:43:57 AM
Almost done with my sheet!

One question though: do contacts have to be single people, or can I take a group of people as one (assuming all members have roughly the same capabilities)?

As Xerial noted, there are rules for group contacts in the Runner's Companion.

Quote from: Trilogy on May 22, 2013, 07:12:24 PM
Hope everything looks ok. My question is- can I take the Fame quality as Local, and have that count on the Matrix instead of in a physical location? As in, her online identity is famous throughout parts of the Matrix, but people wouldn't recognize her in meatspace.

For Local Fame, I would allow her to be known in certain parts of the Matrix, though not all of it.  Probably social gathering spots on the Matrix for people from Seattle. 

ShadowFox89

Still not sure if I should actually work on a sheet or not ^^'
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Sethala

I'm almost done, just need to figure out what else I want to buy with starting cash and what contacts to have, and possibly figure out what other PCs I know before the game starts.  After that I might have some more BP to toss back into skills, depending on what I have left over.

Sheet in progress: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=573486  (Items are listed in the notes at the bottom of the sheet, haven't plugged them into the right categories yet.)

Jaded

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on May 22, 2013, 11:58:15 PM
Still not sure if I should actually work on a sheet or not ^^'

You can, though something that isn't close combat/stealth may be best.  Heavy weapons may be an open area, if Thorn14 is going more precision. 

Muse

Trilogy, if Jaded aproves, Net Idol might qualify you for a day job flaw.  :)
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Muse

Oh, dear... 

Glyphstone, you should check the rules on bows again.  Last I heard they couldn't benefit from strength higher than eight! 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Thorn14

Is it too late? Real life has had me a bit too busy to make a sheet or much lately. But if I'm too late I understand.