[Pathfinder, Recruitment Closed] Warpath of the Righteous: WotR & Path of War

Started by indarkestknight, September 18, 2016, 08:09:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowFox89

So very possible a younger Katherine showed up at some point with her master alongside the knights and helped break up the cult/free Sebastion. Maybe he'd remember the horny, red haired girl?
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Revelation

I think that would work out nicely, he would probably remember her, and of course would be extremely thankful.

Zaer Darkwail

Fiendish Heritage alternative trait roll

Starting Wealth Roll

Background
Nanaly Brigthdawn had fairly happy childhood, her both parents were retired crusaders from fourth crusade and were living in New Kenabres. While father continued on as watch captain mother retired to more mundane career as a baker (albeit father often joked about she merely utilized her unarmed combat skills in pummeling bread dough). However a oni manifested inside Kenebras! Reasons for manifestation are unknown but most speculate cultist involvement or wardstone had some crack, opening, developed when during fourth crusade it was seriously damaged.

None the less oni materialized on the very street where Nanaly and her family lived, the district had plain civilians and so called on duty both her parents went fight the oni....despite their efforts they both died. Then oni focused attention to Nanaly and charged towards her and intended devour her! As during fight she had walked out from house and watch her parents, fight demons as she had admired their tales from crusade and thought them as heroes. Crushed upon seeing mother and father fall besides each other she was paralyzed, helpless and crying. But the parents sacrifice was not in vain; her parents had fought the oni long, injured it and weakened it, buying time for the Kenabres watch arrive and reinforced by local Iomedaen paladins. They charged on the oni and intercepted it before it could even touch Nanaly, but as oni died it's body buffed on stinky black smoke and once scent reached Nanaly she passed out.

Albeit slain, the oni spirit was not slain. Instead it had entered inside Nanaly! For weeks she was comatose and priests tried banish the oni, but no avail. The oni spirit was struggling against the small girl's spirit and priests prayed for miracle and kept her body fed and healthy as they could while girl slumbered. Nanaly was trapped in nightmare with the oni who chased her, tormented her and tortured her. Oni intended break her spirit, make her surrender so it can possess her body instead and it was making progress quite well in that regard as it's corrupting energies warped Nanaly's body. However in last possible moment the innocent tormented girl found her courage and her fury! She screamed and charged with complete fearless manner on oni and in truth hated oni so much she wanted murder the oni! However she could not kill oni, not at least traditional manner. Instead her efforts caused oni devouring her soul to make her devour the oni!

As she pummeled, she defeated the oni as in realm of dreams and intensity of will decides more than physical might and oni was defeated but with a cost; it's dark essence infused on Nanaly's soul to point they no longer could be sepparated and as Nanaly woke, her body had warped and changed from human to a tiefling; touched by very darkness of the oni. The priests were dismayed they could not save her body but they thought they had saved her soul very least.

They had not, she had saved herself and with oni devoured into part of her, the all innate oni urges and indulgences came part of her. Not as extreme as oni (as she is tiefling) but still sinful indulgences none the less and innately very chaotic behavior. The priests took orphaned tiefling girl in, raised in Iomedae temple best they could. However despite watchful eyes of paladins she wandered a lot in city and wound up bullied and teased by local kids, which made her grow resentment to children and city of Kenabres in general. Everyone praised her parents as heroes who saved many lives, only what she felt was sorrow and anger. Sorrow for the loss and anger for ungrateful brats bullying her! Her negative emotins were profoundly reinforced thanks her tainted soul and thus she was very difficult child for Iomedae priests to raise.

Once she turned 17 the priests were glad to shove her out and give her money to get by and also get to live in house where her parents lived (the house had been taken care by care keeper who was parents friend). She first day kicked out the care keeper, bought tons of alcohol and drinked herself drunk in the house. Then proceed go taverns in gate district to start brawls with locals in drunken rampage and same night got rid of her virginity as cute boy which he had eyed on temple she had seduced to come with her on tavern (and he followed out of obligation to watch she does not get hurt) but in haystacks he popped his and her cherry same time despite boy's protests on about it!

This is not even tip of the iceberg of 'trouble' she caused for several years until locals grew fed up with rampaging tiefling; firstly cutting monthly money tribute to her (which was earned from parent's heroic sacrifice and was meant provide for her daily needs and not for daily drunken rampage), then she was kicked off the house (which was shambles from lack of care) and then outright exiled her from Kenabres! In that moment Nanaly Brightdawn ceased to be as she showed finger to authorities and just clothes on her she left Kenabres. As lusty curvy tiefling she easily prostituted herself (or mugged thanks immense natural strenght) people for cash. She cared for nobody but herself and did not care who got hurt and who suffered so long she enjoyed her indulgences.

Despite this, there was sense of emptiness in her.....she lacked goal, purpose or some craving which did not sate her despite how much she ate, fucked or drinked. Then as chance of fate while drunk she stumbled upon Crashing Tempest Academy which was located on Taldor (she had wandered far). She stumbled through and somebody tried stop her but instead she punched the guy on the face! Soon she was brawling and figthing against the students in middle of the night and during it she got hurt, badly, but in pushed corner and suppressed rage manifested and into her hands appeared massive spectral hands which started maul and grab people! Her bound oni spirit joining the rumble as well and she felt happy! She then realized she had secretly and long craved for violence, thrill of battle and something to punch upon!

She was suppressed and albeit her fury and fierce temper was impressive the students and teacher had kicked her out, instead she came back on their door and knocked and begged let in! At first students and teachers decided ignore the tiefling but for three days and nights she pummeled on the door in fury and demanded they teach her how to fight! At first think tiefling was just plain drunk still and mad, but after the three days and nights she was exhausted and still continue rasping on the door with her bloodied knuckles. This point teachers were impressed and agreed she is worthy student to be educated.

So the academy took her in and first time filled with purpose and desire which matches with her mentors she attentively attended the academy. Like a sponge learn the craft of trashing dragon but also her oni spirit, through dreams, whispered and taught her techniques not taught in academy. She grew powerful and intimidating foe amongst freshmen and as she graduated she with pride took the blue ligthning tattoos and swore oath of the academy and then with carefully saved cash purchased pair of gauntlets from local smithy. As her inner demon had taught how manifest her spectral hands and so once gauntlets were synergizes and fused together....then with gauntlets she manifested the arms which made her feel powerful!

However there was no grand wars or battles going on Taldor....then she heard call for fifth crusade?! It has been over decade she was exiled and she doubted the people who she upset should be alive (at least she thinks so) so she headed back to Kenabres....with purpose to join crusade and pummel demons! Their big, tough, strong and there was unlimited supply of them! Perfect targets for her never ending desire to pummel things! Of course she had her old vices still but academy life and discipline in monastery had taught her moderate those vices much more calmer manner than she did originally in youth. Still she can be impulsive individual.

Alignment: I know I originally spoke of neutral (CN) alignment but after reading redemption rules and reading that oni's originally were kami's which protected the world and through either neglect, betrayal, corruption (or dozen other reasons) the kami's forsake their duties and cursed the world no longer be worthy of their charge. Then higher forces ripped their material bodies away and then as dark spirits they haunt until in unique circumstances they transform and gain bodies of their own again and go rampage around. Also read the redemption rules for the campaign and then decided that overall story for Nanaly (in the campaign) is process climb up depths of darkness to the light.

So, decided the spirit devouring process turned her to CN first but then CE by banishment and overall growing more and more attuned to darkness inside her soul. Even reach point where she communes with her inner demon which is pleased for her behavior (sort living through her his various vices). So thus explain her initial behavior and overall 'sinful' behavior. However in her process turning good she would get conflict with the oni spirit bound to her and it would be internal struggle, but considering she has access to eternal guardian style I think the said style presents potentially the oni's original kami side which her deeds and internal monoloque could slowly help recover in the oni spirit (as her soul turns good so does oni with her and may reach perhaps back to spiritual kami state even if she still uses black seraph style and some evil tagged maneuvers which constantly knocks off penance tasks off her and may demand her continue do penance tasks once she is chaotic good to avoid slip back down to CE).

Premier

Char Pic!

Tevreh Gnelm would sell herself to any bidder. A sword for hire, she's worked for saints and she's worked for people as close to devil's you could already smell the brimstone. She killed without question and earned her name as someone whose loyalty was unflinching, as long as you paid her price. It was a life without direction and with little joy, but she'd been born a Half-Orc, what really was there for her to do with her life but this?

She was deep into a life of brutality for coin before someone finally beat her and got her to think for once in her life about what she was doing. Tevreh wasn't stupid, she'd just never been one to speculate on the future, when the pleasures and bloodshed of the now was on offer. Now she's starting to think she's fucked up an awful lot of her life though and maybe it was going to take a particularly grand gesture to correct that wrong. Also that maybe it's start time to live a little for herself rather than other people, two goals that are going to conflict rather nastily as she tries to find her way and who knows which will win out?

Since it's Wuxia I thought I might as well go with the classic of a stained soul who is now trying to redeem themselves using the only set of skills they really have, killing things.

In more classic Wuxia fashion, it'd be good if someone set my character on the path to being a better person, possibly though finding them and fighting them until they saw the error of their ways. I think I even have a volunteer for that already, but I'll let them explain.

Likely going with the Firebrand Campaign Trait.

indarkestknight

Quote from: Premier on September 21, 2016, 04:46:08 PM
Likely going with the Firebrand Campaign Trait.

The Firebrand campaign trait is actually from Council of Thieves. As this is a Wrath of the Righteous campaign, I'll need you to select a Wrath of the Righteous campaign trait.

indarkestknight

Few things, Zaer.

One, oni are not innately chaotic; quite the reverse, they are naturally inclined to be lawful, though your portrayal of the outrageous appetites of a hungerseed tiefling are spot on.

Second, I haven't approved crystalline or primal iron or any 3pp material outside of the Path of War materials. For now, I'd prefer to stick with Paizo stuff and Path of War, though I may choose to make additional 3pp material available sometime later in the campaign.

Third, by taking levitate at will, you trade in your ability to use alter self 1/day.

Your wealth roll beat mine, so stick with 190 gp.

Zaer Darkwail

Actually if you take fiendish heritage feat it says you get to choose one tiefling alternatives (like oni-spawn) and following is direct quote; In addition, you may roll on Table: Variant Tiefling Abilities three times and choose the most favorable ability.

Now it does not mention it replaces the alter self ability (only darkness). Also if you say bottom line is true then it conflicts with the feat description as it says 'roll three times and pick most favorable result' as trading darkness ability allows roll only once. It mentions this at end where NPC's can be customized or PC's if they want to, meaning every regular tiefling can roll on the chart once to get replacement for Darkness spell-alike ability if GM approves it (and thus with that ruling I cannot pick additional trait from said chart as I lack Darkness spell-alike ability for the trade thanks for taking oni-spawn which replaces it).

Also my bad on mixing onis up but I assumed they were chaotic as oni-spawn tieflings are told to have outrageous appetites/vices etc. Also every oni is unique case (so this case it could had been chaotic oni than lawful, sort demonic oni).

Anyways with crystallinen and primal cold iron; I just checked magic material list to get wide as possible list for magical materials as the magic material the gauntlets are made from transfers to my fiendish grip, so are there any additional magic/exotic materials besides cold iron, silver, mithril and adamantine in the setting?

Edit; Just note that I made the long post about the Fiendish Heritage to explain why I came upon the logic that how come my tiefling has the levitate at-will and alter self 1/day, if you disagree on the my logic (and also the only way how I view the feat anyway fair compared to aasimars who get their alternative types for free without feat tax), I am okay removing the alter self spell-alike ability off. The levitate at-will is pretty strong (and lucky roll for me).

indarkestknight

Going to rule that if you take the variant tiefling ability you rolled, you're trading in the SLA that replaces darkness.

Looking them over, you're right. Mea culpa. Oni don't appear to be restricted to a specific alignment; while the most commonly known breed, the ogre mages, are generally lawful evil, as are void yai, kuwa oni, and spirit oni, fire yai are neutral evil, while water and ice yai are chaotic evil. Whatever breed of oni it was, it's fine to say it was chaotic evil.

A list of all special materials that canonically exist in Golarion.

Latooni Subota

More details!

Shifting a bit more over to Vigilante archetype for Stalker, because trapfinding is hella useful, and I haven't been a rogue-y character in ages. I'm also gonna go with a more ranged focus via thrown weapons and bows or something, so it should be . . interesting trying to get my sneak attacks off. We'll see what happens lol!

Chance Encounter is the campaign trait I'm picking!

Disciplines used: Solar Wind, Tempest Gale, and/or Broken Blade. Some mix of the three.
ONs and OFFs be here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=64984.0

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

Zaer Darkwail

Ok, so gauntlets will be for now cold iron and alchemical silver. As cannot afford anything else for crafting them but at least Nanaly can perform the ritual anytime. Anyways ok, alter self will be removed then (albeit it makes me think tieflings get shorter end of stick needing feat to get alternative subtypes and traits as aasimars don't need do same).

Latooni Subota

Anybody squicked out by Halflings due to the size, when it comes to romantic interludes? GM?

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

MrBubbles

Quote from: Latooni Subota on September 21, 2016, 08:56:03 PM
Anybody squicked out by Halflings due to the size, when it comes to romantic interludes? GM?

I've got no problems with them, go for it!

Also working on my character and character sheet, I'll probably be able to get 'em both posted up sometime tomorrow!

indarkestknight

I was never squicked but never especially interested in halflings in a romantic or sexual context. InCase's Alfie remedied my ambivalence.

Latooni Subota

indarkestknight

Zaer, I've reviewed my copy of Blood of Fiends, and I have good news and bad news.

The good news is that Blood of Fiends makes no mention of the Fiendish Heritage feat at all, and since that's more recent than the Bastards of Erebus where the idea of Fiendish Heritage was initially introduced, I won't require you to take the feat to play a Hungerseed.

The bad news is that Blood of Fiends makes explicit that tieflings who gain a variant tiefling ability lose their racial spell-like ability, rather than specifying only darkness:

QuoteThe abilities presented here replace a tiefling’s spell-like ability racial trait.

Latooni Subota

Oh, as a Vigilante I don't get Solar Wind. Ah well. Tempest Gale and Riven Hourglass it is! . . and I guess bits of Steel Serpent? So many choices.

Chulanowa

Not at all. Love me some halflings and gnomes.... and kobolds... and fae... and WoW-style goblins (keep Pathfinder's humanoid garbage disposals away from me, though... Fun to play, maybe amusing in comic sexual situations, but for actual smut.... uuuuugh no)

I gotta set myself down and actually fish up a good-looking Warlord or Warder.

Premier

Quote from: indarkestknight on September 21, 2016, 06:56:29 PM
The Firebrand campaign trait is actually from Council of Thieves. As this is a Wrath of the Righteous campaign, I'll need you to select a Wrath of the Righteous campaign trait.

Oh I see! Duh!

I'll work that out then. Sorry! Again a bit new to all this.

indarkestknight

Quote from: Latooni Subota on September 22, 2016, 12:40:53 AM
Oh, as a Vigilante I don't get Solar Wind. Ah well. Tempest Gale and Riven Hourglass it is! . . and I guess bits of Steel Serpent? So many choices.

Note that 1. you can spend one of your traits to swap out one of your known disciplines for a different one and 2. by joining an associated organization, you may likewise swap out one of your known disciplines for the specific discipline associated with the organization. In Solar Wind's case, you'd want to join the Acolytes of the Arrow.

So far both Zaer's character and Changingsaint's character haven't availed themselves of either option, but rather both options.

Revelation

To it's credit, path of war does allow for a good amount of discipline choice through the orders and trait. They obviously take up some resources in traits/other disciplines, but it is nice to play around and make more unorthodox characters with them.

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: indarkestknight on September 21, 2016, 10:02:13 PM
Zaer, I've reviewed my copy of Blood of Fiends, and I have good news and bad news.

The good news is that Blood of Fiends makes no mention of the Fiendish Heritage feat at all, and since that's more recent than the Bastards of Erebus where the idea of Fiendish Heritage was initially introduced, I won't require you to take the feat to play a Hungerseed.

The bad news is that Blood of Fiends makes explicit that tieflings who gain a variant tiefling ability lose their racial spell-like ability, rather than specifying only darkness:

Aha, so it frees a feat for me. Yay!

Quote from: Changingsaint on September 22, 2016, 02:10:11 AM
To it's credit, path of war does allow for a good amount of discipline choice through the orders and trait. They obviously take up some resources in traits/other disciplines, but it is nice to play around and make more unorthodox characters with them.

Yeah and even if Primal Fury 'theme' fits for my char, my Fiendish Grap is not style associated weapon with it (which I find ironic). So swapped it for Thrashing Dragon which does have nice synergy with dual wielding light weapons (or using natural weapons). Both my archtype and organization swaps disciplines so your definately not stuck with what you got from the class.

indarkestknight

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on September 22, 2016, 06:32:30 AM
Yeah and even if Primal Fury 'theme' fits for my char, my Fiendish Grap is not style associated weapon with it (which I find ironic). So swapped it for Thrashing Dragon which does have nice synergy with dual wielding light weapons (or using natural weapons). Both my archtype and organization swaps disciplines so your definately not stuck with what you got from the class.

I too was initially under the impression that you could only use maneuvers when you wield an associated weapon, but combing through the book, I haven't been able to find anything that would indicate that. In fact, Solar Wind, in addition to listing associated weapons, spells out explicitly that they can only be used with bows, crossbows, and thrown weapons, and so does Broken Blade with unarmed/associated weapons, while none of the other Disciplines do. As such, in the absence of evidence to the contrary, I'm inclined to operate under the belief that you can use any melee weapon to initiate any melee maneuver you know and any ranged weapon to initiate any ranged maneuver you know, with the exception of Solar Wind maneuvers, Broken Blade maneuvers, and any maneuvers that spell out a requirement to use an associated weapon.

Associated weapons are still significant, however, if you want to take Discipline Focus.

Zaer Darkwail

And in broken blade it mentions if you strike unarmed you add +2 to the dmg rolls. I still keep the swap as the monastery had huge influence on my char (plus thrashing dragon is pretty good discipline for her anyways as she is always dual wielding anyways and plan gt TWF feat eventually). But likely spend two or three feats for primal fury and get maybe the 8th level stance from primal fury (it's so good).

indarkestknight

Well, I would note that, as we're using Path of War: Expanded, if I'm reading Old Dogs & New Tricks on page 91 right, Warders can pick up either Piercing Thunder or Eternal Guardian. Now you're already gaining Eternal Guardian from your archetype, so naturally you'd pick Piercing Thunder, which you can trade in for Thrashing Dragon while keeping Primal Fury.