[Interest Check] Shadowrun: The Caribbean League (Semi-Freeform)

Started by Ciosa, December 04, 2018, 01:31:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crash

Breezy would but I think we already have some connection through our contacts.  Did you want to make up something more in depth?  Like they have worked together before?

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

Dhi

I think we've for sure worked together before. But, what can we work together on in the future?

Crash

Quote from: Dhi on December 08, 2018, 04:54:34 PM
I think we've for sure worked together before. But, what can we work together on in the future?

So much probably. Breezy’s boat is probably a pretty safe place to Hack from since it will have a satellite link and is pretty damn mobile. 

I plan on having run ins with Pirates, good and bad.  I picture her sneaking people onto isolated island research centers.  I want to run into a / a group of toxic shamans.  Take some jobs against some environmentally poor corps and help out the poor people of her home.

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."

Bibliophilia

Okay, so then what are the racial enhancements?  Are they just a +1 to both, in the case of elves, Agility and Charisma?

Dhi

Crash

Quote from: Bibliophilia on December 08, 2018, 05:16:50 PM
Okay, so then what are the racial enhancements?  Are they just a +1 to both, in the case of elves, Agility and Charisma?

Yes that is correct.

Quote from: Dhi on December 08, 2018, 05:24:09 PM
Crash, that sounds perfect for Izzie Money.

Excellent.  Breezy will try to drag her away from the matrix for a little tanning out on the deck.

Ciosa

Quote from: Bibliophilia on December 08, 2018, 12:48:09 PM
So, wait, all our attributes start at 0, not 1?  'Cause, I'm looking at the 4th edition book and it shows all the attributes starting at 1/6.  If the characters start at 0, then how does that affect the bonuses from race?

Edit:  Also, on the equipment, I assume that one has to buy the corresponding 'ware to suit the rating of the enhancement they're purchasing?

For example, if I wanted to buy Morgan Vision Enhancement x3, I'd have to spend the initial cost of 750 for Eyeware x3.  Also, I assume that Vision Enhancement x3 is at the Rating x 1500 cost, not the 300 shown earlier in the equipment list?

Edit Again: Would it be possible to just see a sample sheet, just the numbers and equipment bits?  I can parse most of my questions for myself if I can see an example of the sheet.

All attributes start at zero.  A 'zero' in this case just means 'average.'  You're not particularly strong, but you're not a weakling, either.  On the normal game, having a x2 strength is the equivalent of six points of strength - a serious body builder. 

If you're buying an upgraded cyberlimb, or cyber eyes, then any modification inside it has to be similarly upgraded, yes.  I'll put up a sample character soon.

Dhi

A sample character with knowledges and languages would be helpful to me too. I think I have it all figured out, but a couple of things have thrown me. Like, Ciosa, you said earlier here that characters get knowledge skills associated with active skills for free- but the wiki doesn't mention this and instead gives a number of freebie points (and is the average of Logic and Intuition rounded up or down?). I'm also just learning that Language is 2 for fluency. Does that mean without perks a person can only be bilingual (2 ranks), or is each language counted separately? I want to know English, French Creole, Portuguese and Spanish, just wondering if I can.

Ciosa

Quote from: Dhi on December 08, 2018, 07:15:47 PM
A sample character with knowledges and languages would be helpful to me too. I think I have it all figured out, but a couple of things have thrown me. Like, Ciosa, you said earlier here that characters get knowledge skills associated with active skills for free- but the wiki doesn't mention this and instead gives a number of freebie points (and is the average of Logic and Intuition rounded up or down?). I'm also just learning that Language is 2 for fluency. Does that mean without perks a person can only be bilingual (2 ranks), or is each language counted separately? I want to know English, French Creole, Portuguese and Spanish, just wondering if I can.

Sorry, I think my post was clear.  The starting knowledge points is equal (and in addition) to your starting number of skills.  I.e, 11 active skill points, 11 knowledge points.  The Logic + Intuition/2 (rounded down) is a bonus atop that.  So knowing 4 languages at fluency (rank 2) would count as 8 points.  That's full fluency - as gifted as a native speaker - where one point is enough to communicate and occasionally search for a word, as well as have a clear accent to a native speaker.

Dhi

Does this mean that each Language is its own knowledge skill, so I can take 4 at 2 each, or is Language a single skill, which I would need a Legendary Skill merit in to learn a third fluent language?

That's what I didn't get.

Ciosa

Quote from: Dhi on December 08, 2018, 08:35:20 PM
Does this mean that each Language is its own knowledge skill, so I can take 4 at 2 each, or is Language a single skill, which I would need a Legendary Skill merit in to learn a third fluent language?

Oh!  Each language is effectively its own skill.  You needn't get a legendary skill to speak a third language.  Someone with a three in a language is probably a linguist or a writer of some kind, and particularly and abnormally well versed in the language.

Crash

Quote from: Dhi on December 08, 2018, 08:35:20 PM

I believe separate skins.

Bibliophilia

I'm going to withdraw my intent here, guys.  I'm just not finding the thread to finish creating the character.  Hope you all really enjoy the game, though.

Crash

Quote from: Bibliophilia on December 10, 2018, 11:19:04 PM
I'm going to withdraw my intent here, guys.  I'm just not finding the thread to finish creating the character.  Hope you all really enjoy the game, though.

It is because Ciosa has been sick.  Give him a little time and everything will be updated.

Bibliophilia

No, no.  It's not that.  It's more a personal thing, and nothing to do with the game or Ciosa.  I totally understand being ill or busy, and I wouldn't hold that against someone.

Ciosa

Quote from: Bibliophilia on December 11, 2018, 11:17:01 AM
No, no.  It's not that.  It's more a personal thing, and nothing to do with the game or Ciosa.  I totally understand being ill or busy, and I wouldn't hold that against someone.

Is it just having a hard time generating a character that feels a match for the setting, Biblio?

Ciosa

Crash

TFcommando

I do hope you're feeling better!

One thing that caught my eye... there's only one social skill on the skill list, Negotiation.  Perhaps adding Con and Intimidate as the other forks of social interaction?  Maybe Leadership too, since there are people with crews.
Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in
Canon Character Roleplay and System-based Roleplay

Ciosa

Quote from: Crash on December 12, 2018, 05:57:31 PM
Feeling better?

So so.  I went from feeling like death to working this last week, and the remaining energy level was pretty zero. 
Quote from: TFcommando on December 13, 2018, 02:47:58 AM
I do hope you're feeling better!

One thing that caught my eye... there's only one social skill on the skill list, Negotiation.  Perhaps adding Con and Intimidate as the other forks of social interaction?  Maybe Leadership too, since there are people with crews.
Nah, let's keep it simple.

Dhi

I count five potential players plus GM right now, is that doable? It seems low.

Remiel

Quote from: Dhi on December 13, 2018, 08:29:12 AM

I don't know.  Personally, I tend to prefer small groups over large ones.  Large group games are a bit...overwhelming.

I would say 5-6 players is about the perfect group size, not counting player attrition, which you always have to account for.

Crash

It’s low for the open world player driven game I think Ciosa was shooting for.  He wanted at least 10 to start.

Phaia

I have been thinking about the Libertalia [thinking is a dangerous thing] and wanted to offer a slightly different type of carrier that I feel fits the area and theme and era much better. Instead of a 'super carrier' which is HUGELY expensive and I think only still used by the UCAS and maybe the CAS. I offer some thing along the lines of USS WASP. This type of carrier probably would be more likely built by Aztlan since it works far better in the water around them and offers a bigger degree of flexibility.

This type of ship not only can handle smaller jets but also VTOLs and has a deck in the rear that flat bottem boats can be launched or recovered from. There is room for 1600+ marines and 1100 Crew so that easy means there could be decks with cabins and barracks that can range from low class to even high class [but small] quarters [admirals and senior commanders cabins would be High class].

There is a hospital on board and various work shops. So by the time every thing starts there could be various small businesses on board. A thriving ferry service as well as a smuggler/black market area.

The well deck can handle large flat bottom boats so we could easy have some changes that allow other types to recovered or launched. I mean this is part of what is currently on a ship that that. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landing_Craft_Air_Cushion

Anyway I was thinking this type of carrier would work far better then a normal Super Carrier that only handles aircraft

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Ciosa

Quote from: Dhi on December 13, 2018, 08:29:12 AM

It is a little low for what I was looking for.  I'm not looking for a huge 20+ player game, but I wanted enough to have a sense of world/community, and explore different aspects of TCL.  I'm not looking to run a group game/campaign style shadowrun game. 

As for the Libertalia, Phaia - the super carrier I'm thinking is less of a modern supercarrier as it is a mobile, floating fortress.  With the majority of the aircraft in service in naval engagements in the TCL being VTOL over fixed wing aircraft, a supercarrier wouldn't need to be as wholly dedicated to space for aircraft, as a modern supercarrier would be.  Instead a supercarrier is designated such for its ability to serve as an epicenter for a fleet - strong Matrix support, VTOL craft, small ships able to dock with it and serve as a protective vanguard, and everything necessary to perform repairs and upgrades at sea.  A super carrier is designed to never need to come into port.