The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RubySlippers

Marvel I okay but one flaw the villains in the movies largely suck only two seem to matter Loki and the Winter Soldier, Ultron arguably one of the toughest villains on Earth to have killed jut - died - that was it. The Mandarin jus died or was a beer drinking loser. Seriously the only elephant in the room we know is coming is Thanos and you know he will attack Earth.

But until then we get loser villains who should have been steel walls of repeated doom creeping around or at lest hint at Ultron maybe being alive somewhere waiting to come back, maybe.

DC at least didn't kill off the Joker but they did kill off other key villains all the time.

I blame lazy writers not wanting to figure out heroes preferably don't kill the villains if they can help it, and you should at least kill them off in a huge battle they screwed that up in two of the three Iron Man movies, others they did a good job like Avengers 2.

Mathim

Quote from: RubySlippers on May 05, 2015, 12:05:03 PM
Marvel I okay but one flaw the villains in the movies largely suck only two seem to matter Loki and the Winter Soldier, Ultron arguably one of the toughest villains on Earth to have killed jut - died - that was it. The Mandarin jus died or was a beer drinking loser. Seriously the only elephant in the room we know is coming is Thanos and you know he will attack Earth.

But until then we get loser villains who should have been steel walls of repeated doom creeping around or at lest hint at Ultron maybe being alive somewhere waiting to come back, maybe.

DC at least didn't kill off the Joker but they did kill off other key villains all the time.

I blame lazy writers not wanting to figure out heroes preferably don't kill the villains if they can help it, and you should at least kill them off in a huge battle they screwed that up in two of the three Iron Man movies, others they did a good job like Avengers 2.

How do you mean they screwed that up in two of the three Iron Man movie? Stane, without question, was killed, perhaps unintentionally but Tony and Pepper were still willing to take the risk that it would kill Obadiah if they overloaded the reactor in an attempt to shut down his suit. Tony and Rhodey blasted the shit out of Vanko in IM2 and rather than tear open his suit and drag him out, they opted to leave his ass to blow up with the rest of his robots. Tony attempted to explode Killian (quite an explicit means of murder, and done out of anger, I might add) and Pepper of all people ends up finishing the job. So in essence Iron Man is the only series where the villains consistently die.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Deamonbane

Yeah. Loki stays around from Thor, even though the elf guy dies in the Dark World. Cap does kill Red Skull, but not the Winter Soldier. The Hulk kills his nemesis in the Edward Norton movie, although that is the only solo Hulk movie.
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Mathim

Quote from: Deamonbane on May 05, 2015, 01:20:04 PM
Yeah. Loki stays around from Thor, even though the elf guy dies in the Dark World. Cap does kill Red Skull, but not the Winter Soldier. The Hulk kills his nemesis in the Edward Norton movie, although that is the only solo Hulk movie.

Cap didn't kill Red Skull, nor was he even responsible for what happened to him. The Red Skull picked up the Tesseract which had a weird reaction and did something to him that made him disappear. Is he dead? We have no idea. With Ronan being vaporized by the Guardians using that Infinity Gem, it's pretty certain he's actually been destroyed. But the Tesseract is a fickle mistress, so we can't conclude that he hasn't just been transported elsewhere for an indefinite period. And Rumlow/Crossbones also survives the Winter Soldier. That's why I said only Iron Man consistently eliminates his enemies forever. Only one of Thor's two main baddies actually croaked in his movies.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Deamonbane on May 05, 2015, 01:20:04 PM

No he doesn't, assuming you're talking about Abomination. He beats him unconscious, but he's still visibly breathing on the ground when Hulk goes jumping off into the sunset.

Plus, he's definitively confirmed to be alive from the Marvel short 'The Consultant', where Coulson and his friend are talking about how to derail plans to get Blonsky/Abomination released from 'cryo-prison' to join the Avengers Initiative. So even Hulk has a worse record on killing enemies than Iron Man does.

CaptainNexus616

Quote from: Mathim on May 05, 2015, 03:15:15 PM
Cap didn't kill Red Skull, nor was he even responsible for what happened to him. The Red Skull picked up the Tesseract which had a weird reaction and did something to him that made him disappear. Is he dead? We have no idea. With Ronan being vaporized by the Guardians using that Infinity Gem, it's pretty certain he's actually been destroyed. But the Tesseract is a fickle mistress, so we can't conclude that he hasn't just been transported elsewhere for an indefinite period. And Rumlow/Crossbones also survives the Winter Soldier. That's why I said only Iron Man consistently eliminates his enemies forever. Only one of Thor's two main baddies actually croaked in his movies.

I always considered the cube did actually send him somewhere else in space and time. I mean it is confirmed that you can travel to other worlds with it. So who knows I'm sure Skull got some extra years from the Super Soldier serum so maybe he found something to extend his life even longer so we can see him return sooner or later.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Lustful Bride

After Civil War Red Skull suddenly appears with a space Nazi army X3

darn now I wanna watch Iron Sky again X3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lJAw_BtM2g

CaptainNexus616

psh you think it will be an army of Space Nazis? Nooooo

It will be an army of Sith Nazis!

Speaking of which my spies have discovered what Nick Fury has REALLY been up to when he is not on screen. I will warn you what your about to see is traumatic, shocking, contains graphic language and is absolutely hilarious.

Behold the dark side of Nick Fury

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=q_n8FRILoYE
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

SapphireStar

They released more images for Suicide Squad. This time more close ups of Harley wearing a Daddy's Lil Monster shirt and shorts which would make Daisy Duke blush. Seriously, she looks like she just came out of high school then prison. She looks nothing like the comic book/video game except of hair and maybe makeup. They drew playing card symbols on her legs. I think I've lost hope for the DC movies. I'll stick with the tv shows.

Side note: BIG shakeup in the comics with the coming Darkcide wars.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on May 05, 2015, 06:04:59 PM
They released more images for Suicide Squad. This time more close ups of Harley wearing a Daddy's Lil Monster shirt and shorts which would make Daisy Duke blush. Seriously, she looks like she just came out of high school then prison. She looks nothing like the comic book/video game except of hair and maybe makeup. They drew playing card symbols on her legs. I think I've lost hope for the DC movies. I'll stick with the tv shows.

Side note: BIG shakeup in the comics with the coming Darkcide wars.

At least Black Widow is dignified by a full bodysuit. And they're going with the non-leotard version of Ms. Marvel's outfit. Thanks a lot, DC, for not helping raise the bar and stop objectifying women under the guise of being 'super'. Sigh...

Oh, and I saw this on the Marvel wiki page, could be a load of crap and it's not on IMDB as far as I know, but Martin Freeman, yes, Bilbo Baggins himself, is supposedly going to appear in Civil War. No idea as who, but that was interesting to see. Captain Britain, perhaps? LOL.

CaptainNexus616

Obviously he's investigating the Civil War with Sherlock. Called in directly from England lol.

TheGlyphstone

Wouldn't having superheroes who aren't American be needlessly confusing to the audience?  ;D

Mathim

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 05, 2015, 08:42:10 PM
Wouldn't having superheroes who aren't American be needlessly confusing to the audience?  ;D

Well, Agent Carter, the character Scorch, and a few other foreign entities don't seem to bother most people. It depends on who he plays.

And that's funny to mention Sherlock, since Cumberbatch is Doctor Strange in the upcoming movie.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 05, 2015, 08:42:10 PM

Ive actually always loved the idea of International superheroes teaming up. Makes the situation look even more desperate and opens up cool opportunities. Too bad the old fat cats in Hollywood are too old to see that.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Mathim on May 05, 2015, 08:44:49 PM
Well, Agent Carter, the character Scorch, and a few other foreign entities don't seem to bother most people. It depends on who he plays.

And that's funny to mention Sherlock, since Cumberbatch is Doctor Strange in the upcoming movie.

[Hollywood]
Peggy works in America, close enough.
[/Hollywood]

Never heard of Scorch. But looking him up, he's in Agents of SHIELD, which I didn't watch so that explains it.

Mathim

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 05, 2015, 09:02:09 PM
[Hollywood]
Peggy works in America, close enough.
[/Hollywood]

Never heard of Scorch. But looking him up, he's in Agents of SHIELD, which I didn't watch so that explains it.

I liked the guy who played him. He kicked ass in Predators. Double K.O. on one of those sonsofbitches, and without firearms too. Not bad at all.

And Black Panther is supposed to be authentic African, not African-American (even though I believe the actor portraying him is the latter) so that will be another foreigner who is actually headlining a movie. Oh, and Chris Hemsworth is Australian or something, and nobody seems to be complaining about Thor. All this xenophobia makes no sense, especially when there are REAL ALIENS in the Marvel Universe! Rednecks with blue skin, now there's something to be concerned with.

CaptainNexus616

The dude from Walking Dead got an arrow that can kill anyone when he whistles a tune.

An arrow that kills people when you whistle.

Just when space couldn't give you another crazy weapon to talk about.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Mathim on May 05, 2015, 09:14:47 PM
I liked the guy who played him. He kicked ass in Predators. Double K.O. on one of those sonsofbitches, and without firearms too. Not bad at all.

And Black Panther is supposed to be authentic African, not African-American (even though I believe the actor portraying him is the latter) so that will be another foreigner who is actually headlining a movie. Oh, and Chris Hemsworth is Australian or something, and nobody seems to be complaining about Thor. All this xenophobia makes no sense, especially when there are REAL ALIENS in the Marvel Universe! Rednecks with blue skin, now there's something to be concerned with.

What does the nationality of the actor have to do with anything? I'm talking about Hollywood's predilection towards Americentricism for its story protagonists. Which is one reason I'm gleefully looking forward to Black Panther, it's a somewhat well-known if B-list superhero who is unquestionably not American/European in any way.

Besides, the rednecks were too busy complaining about Idris Elba as Heimdall to be worried about an Australian Thor.

Mathim

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 05, 2015, 09:45:48 PM
What does the nationality of the actor have to do with anything? I'm talking about Hollywood's predilection towards Americentricism for its story protagonists. Which is one reason I'm gleefully looking forward to Black Panther, it's a somewhat well-known if B-list superhero who is unquestionably not American/European in any way.

Besides, the rednecks were too busy complaining about Idris Elba as Heimdall to be worried about an Australian Thor.

It doesn't have anything to do with anything. Someone mentioned that it might bother some people and I was pointing out that not only can those people go suck a lemon, but that their opinions aren't changing the fact that Marvel has used and shall continue to use a diverse array of characters in their movies and TV shows.

CaptainNexus616

Well I just saw Age of Ultron for my birthday yesterday.....Ultron has to be one of the best villains the Cinematic Universe has seen yet.

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on May 09, 2015, 08:58:37 PM
Well I just saw Age of Ultron for my birthday yesterday.....Ultron has to be one of the best villains the Cinematic Universe has seen yet.

Not exactly saying much, but I believe it. Will try to see it next friday on my birthday.

SapphireStar

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. has been renewed for another season. And, Agent Carter will be getting a second season, but it looks like the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. spinoff is not going to happen.

Hugh Jackman has confirmed he will no longer play Wolverine  :-( Don't know if there is anyone out there who could do the character justice?

CaptainNexus616

We just have to have a little faith Fox is trying to do something right and will cast someone right for the job. They did a decent job casting a younger Magneto and Xavier after all. Though I do find it hard picturing someone else taking up the mantle of Wolverine after knowing Hugh Jackman as the role for 15 years now.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on May 09, 2015, 11:29:11 PM
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. has been renewed for another season. And, Agent Carter will be getting a second season, but it looks like the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. spinoff is not going to happen.

Hugh Jackman has confirmed he will no longer play Wolverine  :-( Don't know if there is anyone out there who could do the character justice?

How did Agent Carter get a second season when its first was only 8 episodes? Didn't they figure out it's too difficult to make the 1940's interesting? I've never seen it actually but I assume that's why it doesn't have a lot of viewers.

Even Agents of SHIELD doesn't seem like it would merit another season but if they're actually going to bring it back to anywhere near its previous capabilities as an organization then that would make sense. The way season 1 ended it didn't even seem as though season 2 would happen.

It would be hard to find another guy like Jackman. They can't exactly cast him younger (like they're doing with Cyclops and Jean Grey in the new movie) since he was born in the 1800s and would still be looking like he's in his 30's for the last several decades. Such a conundrum. Well, the entire series is getting rebooted so everyone is going to be recast at some point. Hopefully they take enough time to get it right.

CaptainNexus616

Actually I heard Agent Carter was rather well received. Its further proving Marvel really knows what they are doing, if they can make an eight episode show about the love interest of Captain America in WWII era and make it well received. Really at this point I am hooked on the Marvel Cinematic Universe. It offers so much and they have gained a reputation for making good quality movies and other content including cartoons and TV shows. A lot of love and hard work is being into the Marvel Cinematic Universe and its showing. How often can you say that about a franchise making it onto the big screen these days? *Glares at Transformers and Ninja Turtles*