The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SapphireStar

It kinda seems implied in the movie trailer they released. Jeremy Irons is doing the voice over and he is playing Alfred. Bruce Wayne is shown behind a high tech computer console staring at the batsuit as if he had given up wearing it. Part of the voice over talks about something turning men cruel when they show Bruce Wayne.

Is it just me, or is the depiction of the heroes shown to be darker, not quiet so heroic. Superman was called the Boyscout. Batman, was the one who kept the checks and balances. He worked in the darker shades of grey but with his own code. Its almost like the one parallel Earth with the Ultraman and Crime Syndicate/Justice Lords roles substituted for the "heroic" characters all to make the movies dark, and gritty.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on April 19, 2015, 11:15:50 PM
It kinda seems implied in the movie trailer they released. Jeremy Irons is doing the voice over and he is playing Alfred. Bruce Wayne is shown behind a high tech computer console staring at the batsuit as if he had given up wearing it. Part of the voice over talks about something turning men cruel when they show Bruce Wayne.

Is it just me, or is the depiction of the heroes shown to be darker, not quiet so heroic. Superman was called the Boyscout. Batman, was the one who kept the checks and balances. He worked in the darker shades of grey but with his own code. Its almost like the one parallel Earth with the Ultraman and Crime Syndicate/Justice Lords roles substituted for the "heroic" characters all to make the movies dark, and gritty.

That's exactly what I started thinking. And I don't like where this is going. There was footage of what looked like the Batplane or something like it shooting and blowing up some criminals. Totally not his style. But I guess if Superman can learn to snap the last other Kryptonian's neck, Bats can return the favor criminals did to his parents in kind. Fuck, even the Dark Knight version never directly killed anybody, even the Joker, and that dude killed his girlfriend. That studio just does not know how to handle superheroes. They got in a few lucky shots with Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, and topped it off with a train wreck. How do you fuck up so many times and still get to keep doing it?
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

SapphireStar

That was probably the drone they mentioned in several articles that Batman was using to take out the criminals without leaving the batcave. Back when Superman Returns came out with Brandon Routh, I kinda swept it aside and didn't watch it as there were a few things which didn't fit the characters that I knew through reading. But, I recently watched it, and I have to admit that Brandon Routh was perfect as Superman. The way Superman is supposed to be on screen. The Hero. Kate Bosworth was okay, not my first pick for the role.

That was Batman's one rule. No killing. And the Joker was trying to push him to break it. He stated something to the effect of Batman being an immovable object. Even in the comics, Batman if I recall never killed, though maybe came close. In Hush, he came close when Selina Kyle had her heart ripped out. Came close when the Joker blew up Wayne Manor and killed Jason Todd. Joker shooting and paralyzing Barbara Gordon.  How many times were there that Batman could have killed, but didn't?

CaptainNexus616

The Michael Keaton Batman did kill a few people indirectly during his tenure including one instance where he had the Batmobile drop a bomb and blew up an entire factory which still had guards inside. Though as it was made clear Tim Burton's Batman took certain liberties involving certain elements of the franchise.

I personally think they are rushing the dark and gritty world. I wish they would instead have it where we see the heroes attempt to the make the world better by forming a Justice League. Though after a few big crisis the world loses faith in the League and when Lex is elected President starts branding them criminals while others like the Sucide Squad are pardoned and become his own personal army of meta humans. With the heroes now walking the thin line between the law and justice we would see how it affects them.

Superman struggling to still remain the good boyscout.

Batman could actually use his drones then in attempt to remain hidden after the authorities began to really start trying to hunt him down.

Wonder Woman returns to her island away from the new dark world.

Dark and Gritty is good only when it is set up right and so far its just a big mess.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

SapphireStar

The Michael Keaton Batman, never really killed anyone on screen that was shown to the audience. After the batmobile dropped the bombs, the guards start running, then the cut away shot of the exterior of the factory as it blows up. It could be implied that the guards made it out.

They seem to be doing it in reverse. The Justice League will be formed to bring peace to the world like the Justice Lords did in the animated show. It will be through their rule that things will be made better. Lex will rise up to "fight" them. Be the champion, the voice of the oppressed people. It seems like they are throwing everything at these movies in the hopes it will best the marvel ones. Stan Lee was quoted as saying that DC has a lot of catching up to do. I have a feeling they are going to be bringing in Darkcide soon. It is rumored that a big villain was teased in the trailer. There had been a rumor that Doomsday was going to make an appearance.

CaptainNexus616

that's another issue on its own that has been stated in this thread. The League is filled with some major powerhouses such as Supes, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, and Martian Manhunter. It takes either a god like villain or an army of super soldiers for the Justice League to struggle. If they bring in Darkside early into this mess then what? He is Thanos level and should be a villain it would take a couple of movies before the big show down occurs. Until then there are plenty of other guys then can work on like Brainiac, Sinestro, and Professor Zoom.

Heck you could say these smaller villiains are basically the barricade in the heroes way and when they defeat them it helps reinforce the heroes reason as to why they fight. Like with Sinestro, Green Lantern learns to never let fear hold him down as long as his will is stronger he can accomplish anything. Or with Batman have him face someone like Talia and then you can set up a Son of Batman for the future
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

SapphireStar

Doomsday and Darkcide are the two heavy hitters they would use first. The bigger bang for your money approach. Brainiac doesn't have the same "flair". Though he has been a main villain in the comics and featured heavily in the new DC Comics Convergence story in production. Brainiac would be logical as a build up to something bigger. He could take control of some of the heroes, play them against each other, turn the world against the "heroes".

Doomsday can go toe to toe with the heavy hitters like Superman, Wonder Woman, etc. Big, epic fights on screen. Plus at the end, it could appear that Superman is killed. World reels from the loss. Next movie, Darkcide, Superman returns to "save" the day.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on April 20, 2015, 12:25:27 AM
Doomsday and Darkcide are the two heavy hitters they would use first. The bigger bang for your money approach. Brainiac doesn't have the same "flair". Though he has been a main villain in the comics and featured heavily in the new DC Comics Convergence story in production. Brainiac would be logical as a build up to something bigger. He could take control of some of the heroes, play them against each other, turn the world against the "heroes".

Doomsday can go toe to toe with the heavy hitters like Superman, Wonder Woman, etc. Big, epic fights on screen. Plus at the end, it could appear that Superman is killed. World reels from the loss. Next movie, Darkcide, Superman returns to "save" the day.

I think you're giving them too much credit. Anything a rational person thinks would work well, is the opposite of what they end up doing. Besides, you've got Aquaman in the mix early on too, and he's usually hostile to land-dwellers and given how much we've polluted the waters, he's got to be as pissed as Namor about humans. So like the Avengers, it'll probably start with an internal group conflict that has to be suspended in favor of a greater evil. But with just the four (SM, BM, WW, AM) in BvS, the villain probably isn't going to be terribly epic. Until they get the Flash, Green Lantern and the Martian, it won't merit Doomsday or DarkSEID (that's how you spell it, not Darkcide) rearing their ugly heads. But Luther doesn't seem like he'd be good enough to be the primary antagonist either. Maybe Vandal Savage? Or a magic threat that Superman would be vulnerable to?
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Deamonbane

In the Dark Knight doesn't Batman manage to kill Harvey Dent by pushing him out of a window?
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

CaptainNexus616

Pretty much. He did tackle Dent to save Gordon's son and in the process sent all three of them over the edge. Bats just got lucky their was a ledge to hold onto.

SapphireStar

Harvey's death was more of a result of his own making. The fact that Batman was involved was only part of a contributing factor. If Batman hadn't made a dash to grab the son, who was to say that Harvey wasn't going to go over the edge anyway? Most of the deaths would be considered of their own making. Criminals who die in the act. Batman never out right killed them. The only one who did would be the parallel earth ones, Damian Wayne when he took up the mantle of batman planting explosives around Gotham. The Flaspoint Batman, who was Thomas Wayne who became a lethal Batman carrying guns. Bruce Wayne had a rule, no guns since he witnessed the violent death of his parents.

CuriousEyes

Mathim

Quote from: Deamonbane on April 20, 2015, 11:01:30 AM
In the Dark Knight doesn't Batman manage to kill Harvey Dent by pushing him out of a window?

I said directly, i.e. both in action AND intent. He just wanted to stop Harvey. Maybe if he hadn't been shot he could have done the same thing with the Joker falling out of a building.

Beorning

Quote from: SapphireStar on April 20, 2015, 12:09:15 AM
The Michael Keaton Batman, never really killed anyone on screen that was shown to the audience. After the batmobile dropped the bombs, the guards start running, then the cut away shot of the exterior of the factory as it blows up. It could be implied that the guards made it out.

I'd disagree here. Burton's Batman did kill the Joker - I think that his trick of tying the Joker's leg to the gargoyle while his chopper was flying away can't be taken as anything other than a clear attempt at making the guy fall to his death. Also, earlier in the movie, Batman tried to *gun down* the Joker. He didn't succceed, but he intended to shoot him. Also, in the second movie, Batman did kill at least one of Penguin's goon by sticking a bomb to him. A bomb that exploded.

As for Nolan's Batman, wasn't there a scene in the third movie where Batman makes some missiles hit the enemy vehicle? I'd say it counts as killing, too...

SapphireStar

Unintended consequence in the Tim Burton movie. Batman may not have intended the Joker's death, but the result was still of the Joker's own making. When the helicopter felt the tension of the weight stopping them they shouldn't have continued forward. The result, the helicopter pulled the Gargoyle off which then pulled the Joker off the helicopter. In Batman Forever, Batman threw the coins to distract Harvey. Because of Harvey's obsession with flipping his coin he made a mad grab for the coin which resulted in his falling into the rock's below.

Beorning

Quote from: SapphireStar on April 20, 2015, 12:09:40 PM
Unintended consequence in the Tim Burton movie. Batman may not have intended the Joker's death, but the result was still of the Joker's own making. When the helicopter felt the tension of the weight stopping them they shouldn't have continued forward. The result, the helicopter pulled the Gargoyle off which then pulled the Joker off the helicopter.

Personally, I really can't believe that this wasn't meant as Batman's *intended* result. Especially considering his earlier attempt at killing the Joker with machine guns and missiles :)
In Batman Forever, Batman threw the coins to distract Harvey. Because of Harvey's obsession with flipping his coin he made a mad grab for the coin which resulted in his falling into the rock's below.
[/quote]

SapphireStar

Just saw a news article on Yahoo referring to the supposed end credits scene for Age of Ultron. Joss Whedon had said there wasn't going to be one, so this is highly suspect. Plus, just because he said there wasn't going to be one doesn't necessarily mean there won't be one. Just saying no hypes up the potential excitment so people stay to see what it is. The supposed end credits scene is a shot through a window of a window washer cleaning windows. And Spider-man pops up to tell the window washer he missed a spot.

Beorning

That'd awesome! An even better scene than the scene from Winter Soldier, which had Baron von Strucker, HYDRA working on Loki's sceptre and Wanda and Pietro. That scene made me squee... and a surprising Spider-Man appearance would be even more amazing.

SapphireStar

I liked the end credits scene after Iron Man 3 with Tony talking to Bruce Banner who had nodded off while Tony was talking  O:)

Caught up on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., last episode, wow. The history of the Calvary revealed. The revelation that Coulson is building another base to train superpowered individuals. With that reveal, does this mean we'll get to see the Avengers Academy which was created under the Avengers Initiative take center stage as a stepping stone for the Inhumans movie? They've already started bringing in superpowered people. A teleporter. Raina who has visions. The girl who fed off the pain of others. Skye/Daisy's earthquake powers.

Deamonbane

Personally, I dropped off watching Marvel's Agents of Shield after the first season. The end was just getting goofy. Also helped by all the characters being styereotypes except for the one cool guy that ends up being a gutless traitor. Kinda killed the thing for me. I'm sick of theior twists and turns for now. Maybe in a couple of years.
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

CaptainNexus616

Quote from: SapphireStar on April 20, 2015, 12:33:21 PM
Just saw a news article on Yahoo referring to the supposed end credits scene for Age of Ultron. Joss Whedon had said there wasn't going to be one, so this is highly suspect. Plus, just because he said there wasn't going to be one doesn't necessarily mean there won't be one. Just saying no hypes up the potential excitment so people stay to see what it is. The supposed end credits scene is a shot through a window of a window washer cleaning windows. And Spider-man pops up to tell the window washer he missed a spot.

Found it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ1urzF56aY

I actually really like the suit. It doesn't look to CG like the one from TSAM 2 but still retains the style of the comics.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on April 20, 2015, 12:33:21 PM

End credits does not equal mid-credits. There's supposed to be one of the latter (like the dancing baby Groot in GOTG, the HYDRA setup w/ the twins in TWS, and the Asgardians turning over the Aether to the Collecter in TDW). I think Iron Man 3 is the only one in Phase 2 that didn't have a mid-credits scene (but then, people probably couldn't get out of the theaters fast enough). Whedon is just saying, don't waste your time sitting through the entire credits once you've seen the mid-credits scene. There's only the one, not both.

Quote from: SapphireStar on April 20, 2015, 03:49:11 PM
I liked the end credits scene after Iron Man 3 with Tony talking to Bruce Banner who had nodded off while Tony was talking  O:)

Caught up on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., last episode, wow. The history of the Calvary revealed. The revelation that Coulson is building another base to train superpowered individuals. With that reveal, does this mean we'll get to see the Avengers Academy which was created under the Avengers Initiative take center stage as a stepping stone for the Inhumans movie? They've already started bringing in superpowered people. A teleporter. Raina who has visions. The girl who fed off the pain of others. Skye/Daisy's earthquake powers.

Well according to the Defenders series plot description, Coulson is also going to be responsible for putting them together (Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Power Man/Luke Cage, and Iron Fist).

SapphireStar

Daredevil has been renewed for Season 2.

The only ones which didn't have end-credit scenes have been the X-men movies and Spider-man. Whedon could also be hyping it. Just saying not to sit around and wait, people will wait just to see if there is anything which teases one of the upcoming movies. Could be they'll tease the Thor movie with Helmdal and Odin revealing himself as Loki who dispatching Helmdal to prevent him from warning Thor. Or something like that.

CuriousEyes

Quote from: SapphireStar on April 22, 2015, 01:40:37 AM
Daredevil has been renewed for Season 2.

The only ones which didn't have end-credit scenes have been the X-men movies and Spider-man. Whedon could also be hyping it. Just saying not to sit around and wait, people will wait just to see if there is anything which teases one of the upcoming movies. Could be they'll tease the Thor movie with Helmdal and Odin revealing himself as Loki who dispatching Helmdal to prevent him from warning Thor. Or something like that.

I think basically everyone involved in Ultron has put out a statement to the effect of "no joke, there's no need to sit around to the absolute end of the credits. We're not screwing with you, we just don't want you to sit through everything for no payout and be mad at us. Please believe us."

They have acknowledged that there won't be nothing, but it'll be pushed up closer to the beginning of the credits. You know, like when they do the more stylized flying names-of-the-stars-type stuff, versus the end where it's a scroll of the names of the caterers and the guy who supplied weed to the lighting crew.

Mathim

Quote from: CuriousEyes on April 22, 2015, 10:10:12 AM

I think basically everyone involved in Ultron has put out a statement to the effect of "no joke, there's no need to sit around to the absolute end of the credits. We're not screwing with you, we just don't want you to sit through everything for no payout and be mad at us. Please believe us."

They have acknowledged that there won't be nothing, but it'll be pushed up closer to the beginning of the credits. You know, like when they do the more stylized flying names-of-the-stars-type stuff, versus the end where it's a scroll of the names of the caterers and the guy who supplied weed to the lighting crew.

They don't always do that, though. Guardians didn't, for instance. But yeah, it'll be closer to the end of the actual movie.