Interest Check - Fallout + World of Darkness Group Game

Started by BruceTheCat, July 04, 2015, 05:00:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceTheCat

Hey everyone!

I have been playing around with the idea for a long time about a post apocalyptic type game set in the World of Darkness universe. So the foundation of the game would be set in a very Fallout (game) universe wherein there are Mages, Vampires, Werewolves, and Hunters (mortals) all struggling for survival. Theme wise I am going to be shooting for something that is sort of wild west.

A brief overview of the history! Nearly a generation ago it was revealed to the modern human world that Vampires, Werewolves, and Mages were sort of the power in the shadows. Manipulating events in history to suit their interests. Controlling the highest levels of government. Regularly wielding power that could easily knock humanity down several rungs on the food chain. At the same time, a war broke out between these major factions (Vampire, Werewolf, Mages). This war ended up spilling over in to the city streets, and those involved caused so much collateral damage and innocent casualties that the military of every major government banded together, and decided to fight back. The humans launched warheads in to the center of their major provinces (Moscow, New York, Tokyo) in a desperate attempt to eliminate these unknown foes. The mixture of magical energies of so many creatures dying at once along with the radiation of nuclear devices ended up opening portals to a dark realm of power (very Cthulu like).

Now, in the setting this game will take place in, the world has been quaranteened off in to three major areas. Green Zones, Yellow Zones, and Red Zones. Green Zones take up the majority of space. These are the areas where the effect of the invading dark monsters and energies is weakest. People can live normal (albeit post apocalyptic) lives. Yellow Zones are dangerous on good days, containing a large number of monsters and irradiated bandit or raiding organizations (Mad Maxx style). Then Red Zones are the worst of the worst. All of the nuked cities have become Red Zones. Some several states wide, some only a few miles. These are the places where the most powerful entities have created a home. Also, where some of the most powerful artifacts from the "Old World" still sit unused. Waiting to be found.

Players would have the ability to choose between a Vampire, Mage, Werewolf, or Human. For those interested in playing Humans, but are afraid of being "weaker", my means to boost your power would be by giving you some good tech or powerful equipment that brings the Human players up to an equal level. This would not be a system based game. I may have some small rolling stuff here and there to help enhance the roleplaying, but we would not be playing World of Darkness. I am just using this as a sort of basis for how to set the story.

The players who end up joining would create a party of adventurers who (for whatever reason) have basically decided to strike out in to the world and go exploring. Maybe to find and collect some power source they can bring back to their home. Maybe in the interest of finding a cache of lost gold or tech that will make them rich. Maybe you a Monster Hunter and are just trying to make the world a safer place! I have a story ready to go that would unfold as time goes on, as well as several events.

If this concept sounds interesting to you, please post your interest here!
“Also I've seen that movie, if they're any similar to it, then those guns do not fuck around, please take cover“
- scribus1000

Evalon

You've snagged my interest with an amazing combination of a few of my favorites. I do have a question though before I know how strong my interest is. You mention World of Darkness and vampires, but what are your thoughts and feelings on the Kuei-jin from the same setting and do you think they'd be a playable race?
Feel free to call me Savannah
Current Posting Rate: Slow, hoping to speed up soon.
In the quest to discover yourself the first thing you realize is who you are is not really who you are.
Lover of anything body-swap related! Have a body-swap story you'd like to play out? Hit me up!

Ideas | On-Off | YIM Ideas
Apologies and Absences

BruceTheCat

I am glad to see you are interested Evalon!

The Kuei-jin are basically the Sin Eaters from nWoD. The only difference is that Sin Eaters are people with a wraith attached to them (which grants the person supernatural powers) whereas the Kuei-jin are both that AND Eastern style vampires.

If you wanted to play an eastern style vampire with eastern themed powers, go right ahead! If you wanted to play a Sin Eater, that is fine to. But I would prefer that your character not have both as I am planning to use Sin Eaters in the game.

That being said, if anybody who is familiar with WoD wants to play a Sin Eater, Promethean, or Changeling, I am very willing to allow it. I just did not mention them because Vampires and Werewolves are pretty well known even outside the WoD universe. Whereas Prometheans, Changelings, and Sin Eaters are not.
“Also I've seen that movie, if they're any similar to it, then those guns do not fuck around, please take cover“
- scribus1000

Ghostwheel

Color me interested. I've been wanting to play a mage for forever, though I'll need to brush up on the rules, since if I remember correctly, they're the most complicated of the bunch ;D

BruceTheCat

Quote from: Ghostwheel on July 04, 2015, 05:52:00 PM
Color me interested. I've been wanting to play a mage for forever, though I'll need to brush up on the rules, since if I remember correctly, they're the most complicated of the bunch ;D

They are definitely the most complicated system wise Ghostweel! But since we aren't going to be making this a system game, really all I will need to know for a Mage character is which 2 magic schools they specialize in. Life, Matter, Space, Time, Fate, etc.

After that, I'm really going to leave it to the player to govern their abilities. While of course making sure that nobody is playing themselves as being too powerful.
- scribus1000

Ghostwheel

Rel Mayer

Evalon

Quote from: Red Lobster on July 04, 2015, 05:47:47 PM
The Kuei-jin are basically the Sin Eaters from nWoD. The only difference is that Sin Eaters are people with a wraith attached to them (which grants the person supernatural powers) whereas the Kuei-jin are both that AND Eastern style vampires.

If you wanted to play an eastern style vampire with eastern themed powers, go right ahead! If you wanted to play a Sin Eater, that is fine to. But I would prefer that your character not have both as I am planning to use Sin Eaters in the game.

*thinks* The Kuei-jin style and mythos is what interests me. Kuei-jin are individuals who escape 'hell' and transcend to the vampire-state without being sired, so I don't understand your comparison of them having 'both'.

I looked at the Sin Eaters and I admit I see a similarity but they have a completely different style and feel. The Sin Eaters have a more "deal with the devil" vibe while the Kuei-jin have a more "claw my way out of hell" vibe. That and they work off the vampire mythos and not the Geist mythos. Plus the feeding and general style swings more toward Kuei-jin.

Playing an eastern themed vampire wouldn't have the same feel either.

All-in-all I think I'll have to retract my interest and wish you the best of luck :)
Feel free to call me Savannah
Current Posting Rate: Slow, hoping to speed up soon.
In the quest to discover yourself the first thing you realize is who you are is not really who you are.
Lover of anything body-swap related! Have a body-swap story you'd like to play out? Hit me up!

Ideas | On-Off | YIM Ideas
Apologies and Absences

BruceTheCat

- scribus1000

Rel Mayer

Question:

Do I have to worry too much about knowing the World of Darkness game?

BruceTheCat

Good question!

No, really I just used those to give people who are familiar an idea of what the powers would be like for Vampires and Werewolves. But you won't need to know anything about the system!
- scribus1000

HopeFox

I'm a big fan of Fallout and both Worlds of Darkness, so I'm definitely interested!

I've got plenty of concepts for all of the supernatural types. (Are Changelings available, btw, or are they all well and truly dead?) How well will vampires get along in this setting, though, I wonder? They usually rely on a fairly high population density, and while I would love to play one, that would definitely affect hunting strategies.
If you're such an iconoclast, where were you when we trashed Constantinople?

BruceTheCat

Glad to see you are interested HopeFox!

Vampires would actually get along fairly well in this setting. The effect of the nuclear fallout, mixed in with magic, has probably affected the atmosphere in some way that makes it to where they do not get instantly killed by sunlight. They could survive in it for a period, before finding a place to bunker down.

Also, since the population of humanity has decreased dramatically, they probably don't carelessly hunt as much as they used to be able to. The trade off being (for all supernatural creatures) that their special abilities make them invaluable protectors and leaders. So many are open about what they are, and live peacefully in some Green Zone with humanity.

Changelings are available! Though we'd have to sort of figure out what elementals and spirits exist in this kind of new world.
- scribus1000

eternaldarkness

Dang. I got excited then saw it was freeform. I'll keep an eye on this though.

HopeFox

Great! That's a very intriguing development with vampires. So would it be accurate to say that the Masquerade, as a whole, no longer exists, although individual vampires may hide their natures? Do the Camarilla and Sabbat still exist in any real sense?

The vampire-led communities thing has given me an idea for a character, actually a Zantosa revenant rather than a vampire, who is working for a vampire lord who rules their community in a sort of feudal throwback way. Their mission, and hence reason for adventuring, is to help found new communities - scouting out good locations, looking for old tech or magic that can keep the nasties at bay, and meeting people who would make good pioneers. More communities means more room for vampires to move, and it's basically win-win for the mortals too (as long as they don't mind being ruled by bloodsuckers).

Rel Mayer

I know I am planning on playing a vampire too, HopeFox. I'm unsure if their paths would have crossed, because a backstory for the lady I am coming up with is that she once traveled with a bunch of female vampires that she considered her daughters, kinda like a make-shift clan, and they were captured and killed by the mass unknown evil Cthulhu thing (I'm assuming?) that the group is potentially going to fight against?

I'm just grasping these thoughts from the air and I don't know if they hold any weight. I don't know a lot about the lore of World of Darkness, just have a desire to play a matron-style vampire in a mad max style world.

HopeFox

Quote from: Rel Mayer on July 08, 2015, 10:07:10 AM
I know I am planning on playing a vampire too, HopeFox. I'm unsure if their paths would have crossed, because a backstory for the lady I am coming up with is that she once traveled with a bunch of female vampires that she considered her daughters, kinda like a make-shift clan, and they were captured and killed by the mass unknown evil Cthulhu thing (I'm assuming?) that the group is potentially going to fight against?

I'm just grasping these thoughts from the air and I don't know if they hold any weight. I don't know a lot about the lore of World of Darkness, just have a desire to play a matron-style vampire in a mad max style world.

That sounds like fun! Vampires who live or travel in the same region tend to be aware of each other, if only as competitors for prey, so it's entirely plausible. Maybe my liege arranged for me to travel with you in exchange for some favour she did for you.

Your lady sounds like a good concept! She seems like a Gangrel, or maybe a particularly rugged Ventrue or Lasombra, to me.

BruceTheCat

That concept sounds great HopeFox and Rel!

To answer your question, the Camarilla and Sabbat really no longer exist. The mentalities of those organizations may still thrive in the minds of vampires and other supernatural creatures, but as far as the organizations themselves are concerned, they've been wiped out.

The backstory you proposed is awesome, and totally doable in this setting!
- scribus1000

HopeFox

Hooray! I like the idea of the vampire societies dissolving in the face of the nuclear apocalypse, so Kindred have to work together according to circumstance, not ideology.

So this all happened about twenty years ago? In that case, I think my character will have been about ten when it happened, and his/her parents (both Zantosa revenants) died in the conflict, along with the vampires who controlled them. She/he then got along in the world as best he/she could until coming to a Green Zone city ruled by a vampire Duchess as a throwback feudal fief. She adopted them and fed them vitae, and made them a knight when they came of age, to act as one of her lieutenants in governing the city. Now they're travelling in an attempt to found a new community, one which they might be able to rule themselves (in fealty to the Duchess, of course), and maybe even earn the Embrace for themselves. They and the Duchess are also trying their best to breed more revenants, and establishing a new community under their rule would help with that.

(Yes, I'm using gender-obscuring pronouns on purpose, not because I haven't made up my mind. I will have Vicissitude, after all.)

What is the technology and industrial level like? Is it like Fallout, which is full of agrarian societies with very little technology? Or more like Mad Max: Fury Road, where there are still industrial bases like Bullet Farm and Gastown? Are we likely to be riding horses or driving cars? Personally, I favour a mixture of all options, depending on where and who we are. :)

HopeFox

How are we doing here? Are you still planning to run this, Red? Any chance of more players?

DisciplinedPleasures

Senti

very interested, just checking is this new or old WoD?

how  are you on the other shifters for now lupus silent strider?