Magic: The Gathering (Discussion)

Started by Dimir, January 06, 2015, 07:14:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dice

Never buy those things. When I was teaching my Niece how to play the store gave me the full set of 5 to give to her for nothing. That is how it should be. They are meant to be a learning tool, something to help new people get into the game. If your store is that skimpy, do not buy anything there at all.

The best starter for Magic is Duals, if you can, download it. It is simple but it holds your hand well enough to get you going.

Quote from: Sprikut on June 03, 2015, 02:39:03 PMBitter blossom slowly kills you and gives you little tokens that are useful for some things. Thats not to say its horrible just that its less of a priority in my mind.
Life is a resource, BB is a find card at converting it into another resource that I feel it more effective in the right deck. Also I would not mind losing a life a turn to hold back a Gofy every turn. At that point it is gaining life.

What is everyones Formats of choice? Also does anyone visit sites dedicated to magic?

CountessJess

Quote from: Dice on June 04, 2015, 05:52:21 AM
Life is a resource, BB is a find card at converting it into another resource that I feel it more effective in the right deck. Also I would not mind losing a life a turn to hold back a Gofy every turn. At that point it is gaining life.

Life is certainly a resource - fetches and thoughtseize are all great effects for the negligible drawback of loss of life. However, while I feel that while Bitterblossom is a great card, the fact that you can't control the life loss is dangerous against quite a number of matchups, especially in the current modern meta where there are a lot of fast decks. It's the reason why Dark Confidant has dropped in value and play - the life loss is just a bit too painful vs the plethora of fast decks in the format now. That, and the fact that there is Tasigur that somewhat substitutes his position in black card draw. The point being, Bitterblossom's life loss can get out of control for yourself, and in UB faeries there's no way to mitigate that issue like you can in WB tokens.

Hemingway

Burn definitely seems like one of the major challenges for Faeries. I don't know, though. Giving up on Bitterblossom is giving up one what makes the deck actually tick. Without it, you're just playing a control deck that happens to run faeries, and you lose synergy with Scion of Oona and Spellstutter Sprite. I'd rather try to offset the life loss with equipment ( Loxodon and Sword of . . . I forget which one ). Even if you don't get to attack, any burn spell eaten by one of your creatures is one less for you. Leyline of the Void and various artifacts help against the dreaded Snapcaster, too.

Still a challenge, but I just don't see giving up on BB as being the solution. If your opponent decides to burn you, then you'll easily offset the life you lost by hurting your opponent with the fairy you gained. And since you're not paying mana for your creatures at that point, you can spend it on counters and removal. If it comes to that, you can even use your Mistbind to Champion BB. If you live that long, anyway.

EDIT:

I scored some faeries today. Vendilion Clique and a Scion of Oona, as well as a Cryptic Command. Also, some useful lands. It's happening!

I also sat across from someone trading a Mox ( not sure which one ) and a Time Walk. It was pretty ridiculous.

Dice

Quote from: Hemingway on June 04, 2015, 08:29:32 AMI also sat across from someone trading a Mox ( not sure which one ) and a Time Walk. It was pretty ridiculous.
Trust me, it is more fun when you are making the trade. I love Vintage, it is the most fun I have ever had in this game.

Hemingway

Quote from: Dice on June 06, 2015, 02:08:10 PM
Trust me, it is more fun when you are making the trade. I love Vintage, it is the most fun I have ever had in this game.

I don't doubt it. I've seen the cards around, I've just never seen anyone actually trade them. I was just flipping through my binder when two guys sat down opposite me, and one was like, "Yeah, so, we agreed on 15 000, plus these cards, right?" ( That's 15 000 DKK, by the way, or about 2200 USD ). It's like, okay, that's about four months of rent here, and you're talking about two cards. A Time Walk and a Mox Sapphire.

Meanwhile, I'm sitting there thinking the deck I'm about to put together ( which should come out to around $400 and some change ) is expensive.

In other news, I was a little disappointed. I didn't even realize, but the Vendilion Clique I traded for was from MM13, not 15. It trades for slightly more, but it has older and ( in my opinion ) less attractive artwork.

CountessJess

Quote from: Hemingway on June 06, 2015, 07:20:36 PM
I don't doubt it. I've seen the cards around, I've just never seen anyone actually trade them. I was just flipping through my binder when two guys sat down opposite me, and one was like, "Yeah, so, we agreed on 15 000, plus these cards, right?" ( That's 15 000 DKK, by the way, or about 2200 USD ). It's like, okay, that's about four months of rent here, and you're talking about two cards. A Time Walk and a Mox Sapphire.

Meanwhile, I'm sitting there thinking the deck I'm about to put together ( which should come out to around $400 and some change ) is expensive.

In other news, I was a little disappointed. I didn't even realize, but the Vendilion Clique I traded for was from MM13, not 15. It trades for slightly more, but it has older and ( in my opinion ) less attractive artwork.

You ought to shoot higher; go for a set of judge promo Vendilion Cliques instead =D

Dice

Got to agree, the art on the new ones is sweet. If I was more accepting of the new boarder, I would trade my old ones over for them.

Dimir

Some new Magic Origins spoilers have been released, the most notable by rarity is Mythic Avaricious Dragon.

http://sales.starcitygames.com/carddisplay.php?product=1141692

So it has the same body and cmc as Thunderbreak Regent but with an ability that discards your entire hand the first turn it's played in order to draw "one" extra card the next turn. StarCityGames already has a $10 preorder price on this so I went and looked up where this could actually be useful. Red Aggro perhaps although Thunderbreak seems to be more useful in my opinion.

My PM Box is always open for those who wish to chat with someone.
Major fan of Magic The Gathering, Sailor Moon and Pokemon
O/O's: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=221869.0

Geeklet

I see it as being great for a red deck wins type of deck, but as I don't know the current standard meta, im not sure if it would be main or sideboard material.

Dimir

Quote from: Geeklet on June 10, 2015, 04:09:57 PM
I see it as being great for a red deck wins type of deck, but as I don't know the current standard meta, im not sure if it would be main or sideboard material.

Also not a huge expert on Standard or Modern meta although I'm assuming that people have found some use for it. Then again, it could just be priced at $10 since it's a new mythic and if it turns out to suck then the price will drop.

Also Origins Liliana is going for $20 dollars.

Geeklet

Speaking of origins, I just read the story they posted for Chandra's childhood. If I wasn't in love with her before (hint: I was) I definitely am now. Fist Logic.

Dimir

Quote from: Geeklet on June 10, 2015, 04:17:15 PM
Speaking of origins, I just read the story they posted for Chandra's childhood. If I wasn't in love with her before (hint: I was) I definitely am now. Fist Logic.

Just read it as well. Also one of the art pieces in the story is the same as depicted in the speculated "Chandra planeswalker" card that's been going around the internet.

Also looked up Avaricious Dragon some more. Apparently it works well with Dash creatures since they return to the hand after the discard effect goes off I believe.

Dice

That dragon is sweet. Already Legacy Dragon Stompy is salivating. Don't know about Standard, but it's going to see some play in Legacy.

Ok, 11 year old Chandra is cute. Explody, but cute. Still that guy asked for it. Also that's a fairly good show of a White/Red devide. To Red, White is a choking force, fascist and controlling, to White, Red us chaotic and needs to be controlled. That man is the perfect example a White villan. Nice.

Dice

Is it just me or is Wizards really trying to reprint Power in Standard?

CountessJess

What do you mean by power? Nothing really seems overly powerful in the spoilers thus far - there are a few cards that are good, but not overpowered.

Dice

What do Day's Undoing, Treasure Cruise and Temporal Trespass all have in common? I mean other than they are all Standard legal as of Origins.

Geeklet

They are all blue spells. Thats about it. One is good, the other two are trash.

CountessJess

Agreed. Comparing Temporal Tresspass (that isn't played anywhere), and Day's Undoing (which will see as much play as Time Reversal, which is nothing) to Treasure Cruise is a little incorrect, imho.

Dice

Really?

I am not talking about their power level, I am talking about THE POWER and how they are all throwbacks to the three Blue cards in The Power. Recall, Walk, Twister. Cruise, Trespass, Day. It's like Wizards is trying to put the power back together in Standard.

CountessJess

But...they're nowhere near as gamebreaking as the Power Nine. Sure, they do similar things, but Temporal Trespass and Day's Undoing are nowhere near as good as Time Walk or Timetwister. Sure, they do similar things, but before we consider Temporal Trespass, we have Time Warp, Beacon of Tomorrow, Temporal Mastery. Day's Undoing is just a bad version of Time Reversal, which is a very bad version of Timetwister. Even Treasure Cruise is just the latest iteration of an attempt to print a balanced Ancestral Recall; we have Brainstorm, Preordain, Ponder, Serum Visions, among others. At this stage we might as well say that Wizards keeps on wanting to print Power in every iteration of standard.

Dice

Well other than the impact I fear Day will have on Legacy, I agree. I was just pointing out the interesting situation, not the power level of the cards.

I think Day offers a "Reload" effect. Best suited to UR Delver. Since most if what you do in react at instant speed, I feel this card woukd be fine as a two of to push yourself on. I am also interested in the possibility of running it in Painter since your a combo deck that commits your combo to the board. It's interesting, I think it will find a place.

Geeklet

Day will not see legacy play, as giving the benefit to the other player first before you can is so much worse.

Sprikut

Im with Geeklet on this one. They've printed a ton of cards like this, and its rare to every have them see play.

Dice

Some people said Treasure Cruise would never see play in Legacy too. I feel like this one will pop up in something. The ceiling is just too high not to see someone do something with it.

Drake Valentine

Power Nine?

But there is a
Power Ten

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused}