Welcome to the Doghouse(Interest Check) (I don't know when to quit...)

Started by TheRedFear, January 25, 2012, 11:55:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Starlequin

Don't feel bad, man; mine is still just floating in the aether atm...
You live for the fight when it's all that you've got.

Faustus

“You may my glories and my state depose,
But not my griefs; still am I king of those.”

ON's and OFF's || Plots and Ideas || A/A's and Owed Posts [Updated 02/12! Please see.]

Narianna

I wanna play Elsa Bathory soooo badly! lol I'm trying to convince myself that I wouldn't be stretching myself too thinly... I know she is currently listed as an NPC, but would she ever be a possible PC?

LunarSage

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

TheRedFear

Quote from: Narianna on February 01, 2012, 06:00:04 PM
I wanna play Elsa Bathory soooo badly! lol I'm trying to convince myself that I wouldn't be stretching myself too thinly... I know she is currently listed as an NPC, but would she ever be a possible PC?

My main concern about the NPCs being made into PCs is that they're basically "The bad guys". Well, I guess that depends on how you define bad guys. In his mind Victor is only saving his people, and in the process he gets to avenge them after the holocaust and ongoing opression perpetrated against them by the human species. Elsa is trying to save her species(Well, mostly herself. Her species are just lucky to be riding her coat tails. Heh) from the same fate that befell the Wolfen.

I suppose humanity is the real bad guy here. Lol.

Anyway getting back to my main point, my concern with making the NPCs into PCs is that their roles place them in antagonistic positions to the rest of the characters. That would make it difficult for those playing them to interact with the other characters on a regular basis. Not impossible, but difficult. Elsa might be one of the easiest to convert to a PC I suppose since as of yet, nobody knows she's the one who put the bounty on Lilly. So as long as she guards that secret she'd be just a very hedonistic and powerful vampire queen as far as most people are concerned.

What do the rest of you think on the matter? Not on Elsa/Narianna specifically. In general what do you think of opening "the bad guys" up to be played? If you're not comfortable stating an opinion publicly PM it to me, Star, and Rei.

Quote from: LunarSage on February 01, 2012, 06:12:52 PM
Bathory... I see what you did there, TRF.   ;)

Hehe. Much like I use the name "Victor Navarro" for many of my characters(especially my wolfie ones), I often use various versions of Bathory in many of my settings. In a post-apocalyptic setting of mine she's nothing more than a thaumaturge who has spent her life in the alchemical pursuit of immortality and power but will never have the power of a trueborn mage(sort of like Sara in this setting. Or what Sara could be in a few centuries if she finds the right formulaes and rituals). That said centuries of life experience, resources, and ruthless ambition still make her a most formidable foe.

Narianna

LunarSage

Starlequin

It's being discussed, Nar. I'm pretty sure Navarro and his pack will be NPCed, but Elsa may still become playable if youre still interested in the character. No promises though; I may be wrong.

Narianna

Ok, no problem. I understand if she isn't.  :) She just seemed like she'd be a fun character to play. I may still make up my own character if I can't play her. Maybe someone from her court... Maybe a double agent of sorts... Ooo! Maybe an assassin! Haha. I'll turn some gears and see what I come up with.

Narianna

So here's a few ideas I'd like to throw out...

1. A young witch, her mother's apprentice, set out to prove herself to her Mistress, Elsa Bathory, by hunting down and disposing of the elusive Lilly Astor. Could her heart be turned? Could she be made aware that her Mistress is merely using her for nothing more than her powers?

2. A wereleopard working as a waitress at the Doghouse.

3. Elsa Bathory's unsuspecting human doppleganger. Think Vampire Diaries-esque? Maybe she could be useful for disposing of Elsa Bathory?

Would any of the above be acceptable or even intriguing perhaps?

bubby

I personally like bad guys being played. I'm in a game currently where the 'bad guys' are supposed to be NPC'd, and they are not, and the game is becoming stagnant due to nothing happening.

Starlequin

bubby

LunarSage

I think I know which game she means, and I agree, it has gotten pretty slow.  Of course, I'm partly to blame for that too, hehe.   :P

Kokaine

Current Craving/Looking For: Romance, Adventure, Action, Humor, and Erotica. (F/Any)

Current Post Rate: Moderate

Current Posts Owed: 1/8

My O/Os

TheRedFear

Quote from: Narianna on February 04, 2012, 08:57:29 AM
So here's a few ideas I'd like to throw out...

1. A young witch, her mother's apprentice, set out to prove herself to her Mistress, Elsa Bathory, by hunting down and disposing of the elusive Lilly Astor. Could her heart be turned? Could she be made aware that her Mistress is merely using her for nothing more than her powers?

2. A wereleopard working as a waitress at the Doghouse.

3. Elsa Bathory's unsuspecting human doppleganger. Think Vampire Diaries-esque? Maybe she could be useful for disposing of Elsa Bathory?

Would any of the above be acceptable or even intriguing perhaps?

The general consensus from the FEW opinions offered thus far(combined with my own stance) have me learning toward keeping the "Bad guys" as NPC-only, at least until such a time as they're no longer serving an atangonistic role in the storyline. Assuming the PCs havn't killed them off at that point. Heh.

That being said, Elsa is probably a lesser antagonist so I havn't entirely ruled it out yet in her case.

As for your other ideas, I like your first two alternate ideas. The werefeline waitress is fine, though I havn't given too much thought yet to the various werefelines in terms of their powers, society, etc. They probably wouldn't be as powerful as the Wolves overall though. I know a leapord is (arguably) a superior predator to a Wolf, but there's a reason stemming from the mysterious origins of the various werecreatures that explains why Werewolves are the most dominant of them all.

I think your first idea for a witch loyal to Elsa is very interesting though. It could be worked in fairly easily, but keep in mind that would also place you in a somewhat adversarial position to other PCs, unless your character is taking a more subtle approach to her mission like seeking to befriend Lilly first...we'd need to discuss that more in depth though to explain why she would bother doing that rather than simply kill Lilly outright and collect the bounty. I have a few rough ideas on that point if you want to go that route.

TheRedFear

Narianna

Quote from: TheRedFear on February 04, 2012, 02:36:37 PM
The general consensus from the FEW opinions offered thus far(combined with my own stance) have me learning toward keeping the "Bad guys" as NPC-only, at least until such a time as they're no longer serving an atangonistic role in the storyline. Assuming the PCs havn't killed them off at that point. Heh.

That being said, Elsa is probably a lesser antagonist so I havn't entirely ruled it out yet in her case.

As for your other ideas, I like your first two alternate ideas. The werefeline waitress is fine, though I havn't given too much thought yet to the various werefelines in terms of their powers, society, etc. They probably wouldn't be as powerful as the Wolves overall though. I know a leapord is (arguably) a superior predator to a Wolf, but there's a reason stemming from the mysterious origins of the various werecreatures that explains why Werewolves are the most dominant of them all.

I think your first idea for a witch loyal to Elsa is very interesting though. It could be worked in fairly easily, but keep in mind that would also place you in a somewhat adversarial position to other PCs, unless your character is taking a more subtle approach to her mission like seeking to befriend Lilly first...we'd need to discuss that more in depth though to explain why she would bother doing that rather than simply kill Lilly outright and collect the bounty. I have a few rough ideas on that point if you want to go that route.

I've been designing a Werewolf in case you weren't a fan of any of those suggestions so I'm perfectly ok with playing her instead. :) If I go the Wereleopard route, I'd already figured she wouldn't be as powerful as the Werewolves.

As for the witch, my idea was to take the more subtle approach and integrate her in with the other PCs. I'd love to hear your suggestions and ideas on that.

But as I've said, I've made a Werewolf idea as a backup so it's all up to you which character idea you like best. I'm excited about all of them, honestly. *laughs*

TheRedFear

You can play multiple chars if you want. Just make sure to clearly distinguish who you're playing and when. Caela's got herself an Original Character, and Lilly Astor.

As for how your witch can enter the equation there's a variety of options. It depends on whether your witch is more loyal to Elsa, or more loyal to her own fellow Magi. Drop me a PM and we can discuss it more in depth.

Offhand if you decide she's more loyal to Elsa it could be that Elsa prefers your character just stay close to Lilly and feed her information on Lilly's actions...she prefers your girl be a spy and not an assassin. Afterall your char's actions might be traced back to Elsa if it's known that she's Elsa's "pet witch", which defeats the whole purpose of her trying to make sure nobody connects her to Lilly's (hopeful)demise.

Caela

lol...Was just looking at the first page again...TRF, my facegrab for RyAnn is an actress names Vanessa Marcil.

Sarah Morgan

This game sounds totally like something I'd like, assuming you have room for more characters?  I'd probably start off by playing someone human, simply because there aren't that many of them, and because it could be fun to play someone in the minority.  Also, I'm intrigued by the idea of a human actually being stubborn enough to stand up to Drake even if he dumps them, and actually not give up on him.  Though I'll admit I'm a big romance fan, but said plot could also give some side drama.  My girl would obviously befriend other characters too, but that was just the first thing that struck me as I read through the posts so far.  Though if the idea totally sucks, just let me know, and I'll work on something else, no problem.  I'd have to figure out some reason why a human would want to work at the pack anyway, or some sort of back story, but my brain is too tired to think of one just now.

Josietta

*waves to Sarah* hiyas!!! I'm Josi, I play Jesse (who I do need to intro!), we'd love to have you with us! While I'm not the GM I'd suggest filling out the character sheet and posting it up here for approval. Star or Red should be along before too ling. :)

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖                    ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖
                                 O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 
                           Warning:  Finicky Muse Ahead!

TheRedFear

Quote from: Sarah Morgan on February 17, 2012, 06:49:51 AM
This game sounds totally like something I'd like, assuming you have room for more characters?  I'd probably start off by playing someone human, simply because there aren't that many of them, and because it could be fun to play someone in the minority.  Also, I'm intrigued by the idea of a human actually being stubborn enough to stand up to Drake even if he dumps them, and actually not give up on him.  Though I'll admit I'm a big romance fan, but said plot could also give some side drama.  My girl would obviously befriend other characters too, but that was just the first thing that struck me as I read through the posts so far.  Though if the idea totally sucks, just let me know, and I'll work on something else, no problem.  I'd have to figure out some reason why a human would want to work at the pack anyway, or some sort of back story, but my brain is too tired to think of one just now.

Sounds good to me :)

Though it's Rake, not Drake. As in the lawn and gardening tool. Or a rake of the claws. hehe. YOu can play your own original creation and we can work out a story to fit her in without a problem. Or take a premade character and twek her to your satisfaction....or both. The more the merrier.

Kokaine

Question: How open is the pack to other sorts of creatures? I have an idea floating around in my head and though he probably wouldn't come in til later, I'd want him allied with the pack (or at least not against them).
Current Craving/Looking For: Romance, Adventure, Action, Humor, and Erotica. (F/Any)

Current Post Rate: Moderate

Current Posts Owed: 1/8

My O/Os