An Extraordinary Circumstance-F lf M

Started by Verasaille, September 09, 2016, 06:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Verasaille

I have had this idea in my head for some time, thanks to my current partner Geraint. With his permission, I open it up to a potential partner.

----

Perhaps it was a mere coincidence that Emily Saunders Locke, a teacher, fell in love with and married Howard Nelson Holmes, a Constable, but then again perhaps it was the Fates taking a hand.  Never could it be said, though, that either of them did not have a droll sense of humor, a sense of history, and a penchant for mystery.  And indeed it was with straight faces that that they announced the name of their firstborn child: Shirley Locke Holmes.  The Registrar of Births hoisted an eloquent eyebrow, and the Vicar out and out frowned at the baptism, but they were smilingly resolute ... and indeed somewhat gleeful at the fuss. The baby girl was a quiet baby, with enchanting smiles for those who caught her interest.

In time there was teasing of their intelligent and somewhat solemn child, by the children around her.  Perhaps it was for that reason that, even before she could read herself, she was asking to be read the works of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.  Three volumes thereafter, she quietly announced that she wanted to be called "Shirl" henceforth.  So it was probably not a surprise to anyone, that Shirl Locke Holmes, went on to study forensics and the law, as well as history, logic, and philosophy. She knew exactly what she wanted to be, even if it broke with tradition.  Her interest in the fictional character that inspired her name was more than coincidental. Somehow she felt a connection to that one that bordered on uncanny.

Shirl was also was a very determined young woman, who secured a Constable position with the Metropolitan Police of London, where she was subjected to much more winding up and baiting on her name than in her youth, but was seconded into the Criminal Investigations Unit rather before many of her peers. And indeed within a few short years she was well on her way to being a Detective Constable.  The methods she chose to use were not the usual ones of computers and graphs and profiling techniques. Highly intelligent and more than a little intuitive, she became almost a legend, if not a thorn in the side of her superiors. Her parents were very proud, of course, and she herself was pleased, though it would have been nice to have someone to bounce ideas off and have question her logic in a non-threatening way.  But then that was the price of success, at least until that fateful day in a teashop ... when she quite literally ran into Dr. Stanley Watson, and upset his cup of tea quite profoundly ...

----

If you love mystery, suspense of belief in something that transcends the ordinary, and are willing to post at least once a week, please PM me with your idea of the perfect Dr. Watson. I will review your O/O's to consider compatibility.

Please be aware of my O/O's, as the link is in my signature.
I have gone off in search of myself. If I should get back before I return, please keep me here.