Fat as a compliment (cultural differences)

Started by RedRose, July 16, 2018, 01:57:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedRose

I found this video on a forum, after several threads mentioning (grand)parents or men using something similar as endearment.

In one of the threads, the guy was like "hey, how is my beautiful big overweight girl going?" and she (from another culture) hated it.

In another one, he loved her "big belly" and she wasn't pregnant and it made her very self conscious which he didn't understand because to him that's a compliment. He basically didn't see why you can praise curvy bosom but not curvy stomach lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaCzh31sYbc
I also come from a background where older people may praise you if you eat "a lot" (heck, some old school guys will be on their date's case to finish her plate too). My grandparents use "you put on weight" as a compliment of sorts, a thing they tell people, as if to mean you take good care of yourself or when married, the other takes good care of you. Of course it's NOT what the young generation likes to hear.

I have an old relative who calls everyone (wife, kids) "bouboule" (from boule, ball).

Anyone else grew up in such a culture? I'm curious if there still are young women who like this. Me? Don't call me big unless you're my doctor and I'm 200 kilos and even then I'd rather another way to put it… and bouboule is probably the best fool proof Birth control  :D
O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]

Oniya

My initial criticism of the first statement is that he calls her 'overweight' - which literally is defined as being 'over an acceptable weight', whether you're talking about people or anything else.  What would have been wrong with leaving it at 'How's my big beautiful girl?' (or even 'BBW')

On the second one - assuming that he knows that she doesn't like attention to her belly (and face it, most of us have some feature that we don't call attention to) he could easily talk about admiring her 'curves' (which could include bosom, hips, stomach, or any other part of her).

Part of this is recognizing what your partner/SO/relative/friend is personally comfortable with, and respecting that.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

RedRose

LOL yes, we debated a lot about the "overweight" use. I think he may belong to a culture that likes a woman to be "above", I saw that show about some African country where girls are encouraged to get obese before marriage... So maybe he doesn't realize how it sounds. You're right that all these things should be discussed.
O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]

AmberStarfire

My cousin's wife was Philippino, and she used to tell my mother she was looking good and she'd put on weight.

While my mother didn't want to hear that, it was a compliment.