How do you run a group game?

Started by Maverick Hunter Cake, November 27, 2011, 12:27:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maverick Hunter Cake

I wanted to run a group game of 3.5 DnD here on Elliquiy in the forums, but have kinda run into a few snags into how I would go about doing it. I have taken a few looks at the other small and big group games, but they don't run like a DnD campaign would.

How would traveling from place to place work with the party? Do I just do it all in one thread with the whole thing?

It is even possible to play a character with the party? I know that's what's called a DMPC, but this group would be playing in one of the adult forums, so do I just run it and sit it out? Or do I try and play with them?

Beguile's Mistress

You can begin by posting an Interest Check thread here (be sure to read the sticky at the top of the forum) and describe what you want from your game, its setting, the type of characters you're looking for and any special rules you want to follow.

You should decide whether you want to follow canon rules or make up your own or combine the two but being flexible with any rules you set down may help you find more interest.

Let people reply in the Interest Check thread, respond to any questions they might have and discuss their suggestions openly and respectfully.

That is the best beginning I've seen others use.

You might also look for other GM's who are running successful games and see if they can give you advice on their methods.

The Oath of the Drake thread is an excellent thing to read as well.

Hopefully, this will get you started and other members will chime in to offer more advice.  We seem to do that a lot. ;D

Happy Gaming.

HairyHeretic

If I can toss in a few other words of advice ...

Group games can have more than one thread. Some people like to use those threads to define locations, so you could use one for when the party are travelling. Depending on what encounters you plan on having, it may just be easier to handwave it and say after x days of uneventful travel you reach your destination. If you didn't want to use threads for locations, you could use them for scenes / chapters / adventures, or whatever other 'break point' you chose.

Playing a GMPC is certainly doable, if you think the group is lacking an essential skill, but that's up to you. You'll be playing every NPC they meet anyway.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

AndyZ

Belatedly offering assistance if you need someone to poke with questions.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.