What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

Quote from: gaggedLouise on October 08, 2016, 11:51:24 PM
Can't you postpone the presidential election for one year, run all the other 1.000+ elections set for November 8 and keep Obama in office for 2017  (by a special law)? Then you'll have the time to do a re-run of the entire election season and come up with somebody other than Mr. T?  :P
'

I pity da foo who mistakes T-Rump fo' mah man, Mistah T.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Beguile's Mistress

Picked up an email from a friend.  A bunch of us are running a betting pool on tomorrow's debate.  Will Trump show up or won't he?  How long will it take before he interrupts Hillary?  How long before he starts blaming a Clinton for the video being aired?  How long before he brings up something salacious about a Clinton?

We have baked goods riding on this! :D

CuriousEyes

Don't make a drinking game out of it or you probably won't remember any of the debate tomorrow.

Dice

Quote from: CuriousEyes on October 09, 2016, 06:31:43 AM
Don't make a drinking game out of it or you probably won't remember any of the debate tomorrow.
Is that not the point?

Trigon

Just think, after this election is over, the GOP will be remembered for having nominated a reality TV star throughout all history.

LisztesFerenc

Quote from: Trevino on October 09, 2016, 08:28:53 AM
Just think, after this election is over, the GOP will be remembered for having nominated a reality TV star throughout all history.

Alternatively they'll be remembered for nominating the candidate with the most votes, which is generally considered a good thing in a democracy. The GOP should be criticized for their role in getting society into a position where a Trump nomination was possible, but to blame them for nominating Trump is to dislike democracy.

Beguile's Mistress

Quote from: LisztesFerenc on October 09, 2016, 08:46:55 AM

Alternatively they'll be remembered for nominating the candidate with the most votes, which is generally considered a good thing in a democracy. The GOP should be criticized for their role in getting society into a position where a Trump nomination was possible, but to blame them for nominating Trump is to dislike democracy.
I really think they need to hang their heads in shame for allowing the primaries to turn out the way they did.  No one is suggesting that the democratic process is at fault.  The overwhelming arrogance of the party and the successful candidate is more to blame than anything else.  Had Congress pressed forward with governing the country doing what they are supposed to do by looking after the needs of the citizens instead of stonewalling the President and trying to run the personal lives of all of us, especially women, they might have had a different outcome and be standing around with egg on their faces and their thumbs up their bottoms.

The sad thing is that most of the people I spoke to at work where we have over 200 people right now and at church today which comprises around 60-80 more are planning to watch the debate tonight because as one woman put it you just can't look away from a train wreck. 

Lustful Bride

IF the GOP does end up dissolving, I hope it both reforms and splits up into a third party as well.

We shouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater but at least a third option will also arrive and maybe give us better future presidential options.

TheGlyphstone

I suspect that the analysts who say it may splinter into two wings are right, the 'family values' social-reactionary conservative wing and the 'small government' fiscal-political conservative wing. Both will claim to be the 'true' Republican party, though I think the latter will have more staying power.

Dice

Quote from: LisztesFerenc on October 09, 2016, 08:46:55 AM

The Axe Files interview with John Stuart had this one nailed down.

QuoteAXELROD: Um, yeah, on that point, you once said, "I assume there are bad actors in society. Its inherent politicians would be disingenuous. I assume monkeys are going to throw sh--. I get angry with people who don't go 'bad monkey' or...

STEWART: Wait, I said that?

AXELROD: ...create a distraction that allows it to be continued unabated." How responsible is the media for Donald Trump?

STEWART: Oh, I don't -- Look, listen. I don't necessarily believe that a full court press on his untruthinness would necessarily change it. I mean, he's not -- he was voted for, but I do think he is, generally, the conclusion to years of -- he makes sense if you view it through the prism of talk radio. I like to drive, and so I listen to talk radio and it is 24/7 of 'your country is being taken away from you.' As far as I can tell, the conservative side on the right side, they feel an ownership over America. They are the stewards of America. They are its forbearers...

AXELROD: Was it (inaudible)?

STEWART: Exactly. Republicans, conservatives, love America. They just hate like 50 percent of the people living in it. So, in general...

AXELROD: Isn't part of their concern that that 50 percent is becoming, or whatever percent, is becoming a greater -- we're becoming a much more diverse country?

STEWART: Sure. So yeah, no nativism -- look, this is -- it's not as though this is inherent only to this country as well. Globalization has created this strange pushback throughout the entire world. You see a lot of countries retreating into nativism...

AXELROD: Mm-hmm.

STEWART: ...into that type of really...

AXELROD: Like there are Trump-like characters all over Europe and different country.

STEWART: Yes. Yes. It's very similar to -- I don't know if you ever saw "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" -- very similar. But no, in some ways it's a natural reaction to fear. Now, if you have that fear stoked on a daily basis, at an incredibly high pitch -- and this is not -- We really need to do something about this country; we're facing some difficult problems. This is you are run by a tyrant; he is going to take away your rights. We are falling. There are rapists and murders at the border coming to kill you. If that's what you've been fed and that's what you're buying into, Donald Trump makes more sense than anybody else out there because he's going, "Great, let's build -- the Visigoths are out the gate. Let's build a f---ing wall and not let it..." It makes total sense. What wouldn't make sense are the general republican leadership going, "There are Visigoths at the wall, they are here to kill you, let's try and not pass a new budget resolution." You know that's...

AXELROD: Yeah.

STEWART: Their rhetoric has never matched their action. Donald Trump is saying, "Oh, that's your rhetoric? Then yeah...

AXELROD: Although, you know, there is...

STEWART: ...let's build a wall."

Beorning

Sad news from over here: Andrzej Wajda has passed away last evening...

Lustful Bride

US Navy Vessel deploys counter measures and Anti Missile Fire after two missiles are fired at it from a rebel held zone in Yemen.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/missiles-fired-from-rebel-held-yemen-land-near-us-destroyer/ar-BBxdKrp?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

No Casualties or damage, no injuries. The Missiles went down before they could get too close to the ship.

Lilias

To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Trigon

Well folks, you heard it from the man himself; Donald Trump admitted that he used and abused loopholes to avoid paying his fair share: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/10/us/politics/donald-trump-taxes.html?action=click&contentCollection=Politics&module=RelatedCoverage&region=EndOfArticle&pgtype=article

And people are still going to vote for him?

Sara Nilsson

Quote from: Trevino on October 10, 2016, 06:36:37 PM
Well folks, you heard it from the man himself; Donald Trump admitted that he used and abused loopholes to avoid paying his fair share: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/10/us/politics/donald-trump-taxes.html?action=click&contentCollection=Politics&module=RelatedCoverage&region=EndOfArticle&pgtype=article

And people are still going to vote for him?

of course they will. His supporters will just go: see how smart he is, he is just the guy we need because he knows what is wrong with our tax code and can fix it.

Trump could stomp a baby to death and they would spin it into something positive. "overpopulation, and trump is just the man to do something about it. he is willing to make the hard choices" or some other bs

Beguile's Mistress

Quote from: Sara Nilsson on October 10, 2016, 06:52:01 PM
of course they will. His supporters will just go: see how smart he is, he is just the guy we need because he knows what is wrong with our tax code and can fix it.

Trump could stomp a baby to death and they would spin it into something positive. "overpopulation, and trump is just the man to do something about it. he is willing to make the hard choices" or some other bs

What did he say?  He could shoot a person in Times Square and he wouldn't lose any votes. 

There are people at work who are going to vote for him because he did that with his taxes.  The sad thing is they'll never have a chance to use any of the loopholes his crowd uses and he'll work to close any that they could use.

Sara Nilsson

Oh yeah I actually forgot about that, as unbelievable as it is.

I saw a poll that said along the lines that only 8% of his voters thought less of him after the whole grab them by the pussy thing and 2% actually thought more of him. I wish i could find it again.

So atm the only thing that matters is what the undecided think, weather or not all this will make them turn away from the idea of voting for him because its pretty sure that his voters are loyal to the death.

Trigon

Quote from: Sara Nilsson on October 10, 2016, 07:20:33 PM
Oh yeah I actually forgot about that, as unbelievable as it is.

I saw a poll that said along the lines that only 8% of his voters thought less of him after the whole grab them by the pussy thing and 2% actually thought more of him. I wish i could find it again.

So atm the only thing that matters is what the undecided think, weather or not all this will make them turn away from the idea of voting for him because its pretty sure that his voters are loyal to the death.

I think this might be the article you are referring to: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/10/politico-morning-consult-poll-229394 ?

It is is actually more than 8% who thought "less" of him after the that tape was released, upwards of 48% it would seem. But yes, sadly still not enough. Its one thing to think less of him, but many of those haven't gone far enough: only 39% of Republicans think he should forfeit his campaign...

Beguile's Mistress

Look at it this way.

Current GOP thinking could be that Trump will lose no matter what so lack luster support is a better choice for them than stepping away in the event that the unthinkable happens and Trump wins.  It's like showing up, filling a seat and not applauding when the curtain falls.  He can't point a finger at them like he will at Paul Ryan and the others if he does end up in the Oval Office and they won't have to deal with Trump supporter win or lose.

Trigon

Who knows? Either way, it doesn't look good for the GOP in the long run.

Trigon

Haha, even Putin couldn't take it: http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/putin-cancels-campaign-event-with-trump

Priceless!

UPDATE: Actually, the article above appears to be a joke article after failing to find other sources to support it. Still somewhat funny to read though  :P

Lustful Bride

You seem to just have a hate on for the gop  :P

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Trigon

Quote from: Oniya on October 10, 2016, 09:17:08 PM
Just as a note, Borowitz is a humor writer for the New Yorker.

Yeah, I just realized that. I've edited the post accordingly.

Quote from: Lustful Bride on October 10, 2016, 08:53:53 PM
You seem to just have a hate on for the gop  :P

Just simply stating the facts  ;D. Besides which, you gotta call them out as forcefully as you can!

Beguile's Mistress

Quote from: Trevino on October 10, 2016, 08:47:25 PM
Haha, even Putin couldn't take it: http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/putin-cancels-campaign-event-with-trump

Priceless!

UPDATE: Actually, the article above appears to be a joke article after failing to find other sources to support it. Still somewhat funny to read though  :P

Hey, the way he and Pence have been carrying on and praising Putin anyone could be excused for being confused. :-)