What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renegade Vile

Quote from: Oniya on September 26, 2016, 09:15:56 AM
Their general response to people getting shot is 'Wee need moar gunzzzz!' - unless the death was an accident or a suicide, in which case their statement resembles cricket on a summer evening.

That reminds me of when Trump said that people having guns during the stadium shootings in France would have helped prevent that tragedy. Because when I think security, I think a stadium full of excited, excitable and untrained people with firearms...
<< Unavailable for New Games >>

Zakharra

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on September 25, 2016, 05:51:33 PM
One of the fallacies pushed by the GOP and the NRA is that all Democrats want guns taken away from everyone, yet when you listen to the speeches and responses to questions you should come away with the idea that keeping our Second Amendment right inviolate yet finding a way to control the availability of guns to criminals, terrorists and those on no-fly lists as well as people who have been deemed unfit mentally is what most people want.  We need common sense and balance, not fanaticism or reactionary ideas.

To be fair that's not exactly a fallacy. Look at who is pushing gun control measures. A large number of Democrat leaders do want to take away or heavily restrict access to firearms fort everyone. Nancy Pelosi has been quoted on video as saying, if she could, she would have taken all firearms away from all US  Citizens. There's a disturbingly large number of leftists/Democrats that are very comfortable with restricting/removing firearms and access to firearms to the majority of the US population.

That said, not all Democrats are for this. You're more likely, I think, to find the rank and file Democrats being more supportive of gun rights and to own a gun. My wife leans heavily Democratic, but she is an argent gun rights supporter. In the Democrat leadership and city dwellers though, you're more likely to find large support for gun control measures that take firearms out of the hands of law abiding citizens.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Zakharra on September 26, 2016, 10:19:12 AM
To be fair that's not exactly a fallacy. Look at who is pushing gun control measures. A large number of Democrat leaders do want to take away or heavily restrict access to firearms fort everyone. Nancy Pelosi has been quoted on video as saying, if she could, she would have taken all firearms away from all US  Citizens. There's a disturbingly large number of leftists/Democrats that are very comfortable with restricting/removing firearms and access to firearms to the majority of the US population.

That said, not all Democrats are for this. You're more likely, I think, to find the rank and file Democrats being more supportive of gun rights and to own a gun. My wife leans heavily Democratic, but she is an argent gun rights supporter. In the Democrat leadership and city dwellers though, you're more likely to find large support for gun control measures that take firearms out of the hands of law abiding citizens.

I think we can all agree, as always, that a compromise between the two groups would be good if both siders didn't always throw a tantrum and refuse to do work....not as if they do much work anyway...but still.

Some reasonable and intelligent gun control is needed....its just too bad our leaders are anything but intelligent and reasonable. :P

Beguile's Mistress

The main point I was trying to make about the NRA is that they are running ads lying about the position Hillary Clinton has on gun control.  They are attempting to frighten women into thinking she wants to take away their guns or keep them from buying one when they feel they need it for protection.  I have heard her repeatedly state that we need to find a way to preserve our Second Amendment rights while at the same time keeping firearms out of the hands of people who should not be allowed to have them like criminals and others.

Zakharra

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on September 26, 2016, 10:57:23 AM
The main point I was trying to make about the NRA is that they are running ads lying about the position Hillary Clinton has on gun control.  They are attempting to frighten women into thinking she wants to take away their guns or keep them from buying one when they feel they need it for protection.  I have heard her repeatedly state that we need to find a way to preserve our Second Amendment rights while at the same time keeping firearms out of the hands of people who should not be allowed to have them like criminals and others.

I would not trust Ms. Clinton to protect gun rights. Her and Democrats idea of gun control is; our guns, under their control. It's not something I would ever really trust her or the Democrats of today to uphold especially since most of the gun control bills they try to pass are aimed at getting firearms out of the hands of law abiding citizens, not criminals.

TheGlyphstone

Not looking to be confrontational, but where do you find a list of said attempted gun control bills, or where can I find them? Google is proving remarkably unhelpful on this, only coming up with obviously vague and partisan complaints about attempted control/failure to pass any sort of control.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on September 26, 2016, 11:20:46 AM
Not looking to be confrontational, but where do you find a list of said attempted gun control bills, or where can I find them? Google is proving remarkably unhelpful on this, only coming up with obviously vague and partisan complaints about attempted control/failure to pass any sort of control.

Have you tried checking the congressional websites? I don't remember where but I know somewhere they have a list of bills that get brought up. And they tend to have names that are a mix of letters and numbers.

Lustful Bride

Oh, theres this

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2016-07-01/house-will-vote-on-nra-backed-gun-bill

It would ban people on Terror Watchlists from getting weapons for 72 hours.

I think it should be much longer than that but its a start.

Beguile's Mistress

Quote from: Zakharra on September 26, 2016, 11:16:49 AM
I would not trust Ms. Clinton to protect gun rights. Her and Democrats idea of gun control is; our guns, under their control. It's not something I would ever really trust her or the Democrats of today to uphold especially since most of the gun control bills they try to pass are aimed at getting firearms out of the hands of law abiding citizens, not criminals.

See...this is the problem I'm having with people.  Everyone listens to the things said against people and believes it but they never listen to the people themselves.  Even after Orlando I have yet to hear Clinton or many of the Democrats say anything about taking all the guns away from all the people.  Clinton herself has said that we need to preserve our Second Amendment rights yet find a way to enforce background checks, keep guns out of the hands of criminals and those deemed mentally unfit and others.

Of course, people who believe everyone should have as many guns as they want whether they need them or not and that there should be no limit on fire power will never agree to the rest of us feeling safe.

Take a look at the numbers in my sidebar.  48 shots fired by two young men in 22 seconds, killing 5 adults and 1 unborn child and wounding 11 others in a shooting that happened here in Pittsburgh this past spring because someone thought another person at a backyard party might have been responsible for the shooting of a cousin of one of the men.  5/7 is for the five police officers and seven people wounded by the sniper in Dallas where they were protecting people at a peaceful protest march.

Add those to all of the other senseless shooting that have happened this year, shootings that didn't involve police officers.  This is what a majority of people want to put an end to.  As Clinton and so many others have said, it's time to exercise some common sense and do something that will work for everyone or as many people as possible.

This is why I don't listen to commercials.  Every NRA ad I've seen in the last six months has been a lie. 

Renegade Vile

Quote from: Lustful Bride on September 26, 2016, 11:43:29 AM
Oh, theres this

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2016-07-01/house-will-vote-on-nra-backed-gun-bill

It would ban people on Terror Watchlists from getting weapons for 72 hours.

I think it should be much longer than that but its a start.

Aren't people on that watchlist technically not convicted of anything, or do I misunderstand? Not that I find it a bad idea, but it seems strange for the US to back a bill on controlling what someone can do when the proof against them hasn't really been put forth in a court of law.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Renegade Vile on September 27, 2016, 02:44:14 AM
Aren't people on that watchlist technically not convicted of anything, or do I misunderstand? Not that I find it a bad idea, but it seems strange for the US to back a bill on controlling what someone can do when the proof against them hasn't really been put forth in a court of law.

*shrug* I am personally uncertain of it now that im thinking on it. They haven't done a crime and yet they are being already punished in a way...augh this stuff is so complicated.

In other news there is now a large petition to give Saudi women full rights.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/saudi-petition-seeks-full-rights-for-women/ar-BBwGuzY?li=BBnb4R7&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

Renegade Vile

Quote from: Lustful Bride on September 27, 2016, 09:27:55 AM
*shrug* I am personally uncertain of it now that im thinking on it. They haven't done a crime and yet they are being already punished in a way...augh this stuff is so complicated.

Indeed, I'm not too opposed to this case simply because it's not this is any old list, to put someone on the terror watchlist, they have to have some good reason to. Problem is that there is probably no real oversight, and it may suffer from the whole "slippery slope" thing. You know, what's the stop them from doing something similar for anyone who is under suspicion of anything by the government?

Complicated it is, indeed. Another case of where do you draw the line?

TheGlyphstone

Not to mention the rare but well-publicized times when completely innocent people who just happened to have the same name as a suspected terrorist got on the list - once you're on the list, it's basically impossible to get off, and it presents a gigantic and intrusive hassle to traveling and other things.

Renegade Vile

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on September 27, 2016, 09:37:29 AM
Not to mention the rare but well-publicized times when completely innocent people who just happened to have the same name as a suspected terrorist got on the list - once you're on the list, it's basically impossible to get off, and it presents a gigantic and intrusive hassle to traveling and other things.

I believe we have a watchlist here in Belgium too, but I'd have to look up what the implications to an individual on the list are. I believe they're primarily just that the police monitors some of your activities, but you, yourself are unaware of it. I don't believe you get more checks than others when traveling, aside from the fact that you're likely to -always- get a baggage check.

EDIT: A quick Google search didn't really yield much, unsurprisingly.

TheGlyphstone

After a cursory look of my own, I was conflating the Terror Watch List with the No Fly List, which is tightly connected to the TWL but technically a separate database. That's the disruptive and intrusive one.

Lustful Bride

So apparently the Meme  Pepe the Frog  is now a symbol of hate. >_>

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/feels-bad-man-pepe-the-frog-is-declared-symbol-of-hate/ar-BBwJo9I?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

I cant decide whether to laugh or cry.....like seriously memes... @_@

Skynet

Actually the title making the rounds is a bit of a case of clickbait journalism, focusing on the headlines over the context. The ADL went into further description that Pepe is not a hate symbol in and of itself, but rather a popular figure among white nationalists and the Alt-Right.

QuoteThe Pepe the Frog character did not originally have racist or anti-Semitic connotations.  Internet users appropriated the character and turned him into a meme, placing the frog in a variety of circumstances and saying many different things.  Many variations of the meme became rather esoteric, resulting in the phenomenon of so-called "rare Pepes."

The majority of uses of Pepe the Frog have been, and continue to be, non-bigoted.  However, it was inevitable that, as the meme proliferated in on-line venues such as 4chan, 8chan, and Reddit, which have many users who delight in creating racist memes and imagery, a subset of Pepe memes would come into existence that centered on racist, anti-Semitic or other bigoted themes.

AmberStarfire

Lilias

To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

LisztesFerenc

Pretty sure we just had a discussion about that (cop kills breastfeeding woman), its a fabrication that first surfaced several years ago and recently made a come back.

Lilias

The story itself may or may not have ever been factual, but what really gets me is that the climate we live in is one where such a story, even if completely fabricated, is believable. Rather than 'No way!', reactions are likely to be 'Yeah, I could see that happening'. Too many equally outrageous true stories going on. :-\
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Renegade Vile

Quote from: Lustful Bride on September 28, 2016, 04:51:15 PM
So apparently the Meme  Pepe the Frog  is now a symbol of hate. >_>

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/feels-bad-man-pepe-the-frog-is-declared-symbol-of-hate/ar-BBwJo9I?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

I cant decide whether to laugh or cry.....like seriously memes... @_@

I do neither, I just roll my eyes and shake my head.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Lilias on September 29, 2016, 07:14:03 AM
Not local news, but the kind of thing that pops up on my FB feed and makes me see red:

http://baltimoregazette.com/atlanta-officer-kills-black-woman-following-breastfeeding-argument/

The story is fake. And because people are reporting on it its just making the situation work.

In other news: India launching military strikes against militants in Pakistan, increasing tensions between the two nations.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/in-escalation-india-says-launches-strikes-on-militants-in-pakistan/ar-BBwM4z2?li=BBnbcA1&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

and a Train has derailed right at the station in Hoboken, first responders are on scene but no accounts of injuries and Death have been reported.
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/commuter-train-hits-new-jersey-station-no-word-on-injuries/ar-BBwMVLm?ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17