What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Missy

so fucking weird, like copy paste even.

Renegade Vile

Quote from: Lustful Bride on September 24, 2016, 07:49:51 AM
Problem si some people will look at it and not do any further research before losing their minds.

Despite the wealth of information the internet gives, a lot of people still just look at one and only one outlet and do not look into things. There are precious few sources left these days you can still trust. Not necessarily because of conspiracies (insert ghostly wooooo sound here), but because of a mix of corruption, bias and incompetence. It's hard to know what to look at and where.
<< Unavailable for New Games >>

RedRose

So happy it's fake. I wonder why people make those stories up. I've seen those made up or 99% made up things about all topics in the news...
O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]

Beguile's Mistress

Quote from: Lustful Bride on September 23, 2016, 01:28:12 PM
Now lets be fair not all guys are like that....its just behavior that Fuckboys like to pervade and treat it as if it is normal.

Hence why I said "some men."  There are quite a few men out there who wouldn't dream of doing that any more than I would dream of painting all men with the same brush.  Not sure why you thought I was doing that, especially because I made the effort to avoid having my comment look like that.

Beguile's Mistress

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/samsung-galaxy-note-2-emits-sparks-and-smoke-on-indigo-flight-from-singapore-to-india/ar-BBwzzBS?li=BBnb7Kz&OCID=AVRES007

On both of my flights home last Saturday announcements were made that all such devices needed to be turned off completely and not turned on until we had deplaned.  That was on American Airlines.  I don't know how other carriers are handling it.

Oniya

The Note 7 has been actively recalled for safety reasons due to such issues.

http://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-7-recall

'The FAA has officially advised against using or charging the Note 7 while on flights, and now that the CPSC has officially recalled the phone it's actually illegal to do so. Three airlines in Australia have gone a bit further, placing effective "bans" on the phones coming onto their planes. Transport Canada has also issued a statement, recommending "[the Note 7] be carried in the cabin, where an incident can be immediately mitigated, and not in checked baggage."'
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Beguile's Mistress

Quote from: Skynet on September 24, 2016, 08:02:15 PM
Whatever happened to "voting your conscience?"  ::)

Seems like the devil on his left shoulder made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

TaintedAndDelish

That's exactly what got me about that.  What conscience?  lol

All BS aside, there must have been a strong enough reason for him to do an about face. It's possible that he might have caught blame from the GOP for his refusal to support the party's candidate in the event that Trump lost the election. That or someone's got a picture of him in a cheap hotel with a few male prostitutes and some more inexplicable white junk on his lips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzPtahniOwU

TaintedAndDelish

This is not really news, didn't really warrant it's own thread. It's an interesting speech I found on Youtube.

It's only the end that the speaker discusses gun ownership. The vast majority of it is the speaker's experience in Austria and on how Hitler managed to change their country for the worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-awkYhtey50

Vekseid

Tainted, you know it is off topic, you know it is invective, you know it is false, why post it?

RedRose

There are all types of war survivors. Some are very left wing and hate any type of weapon, others are the opposite, others are in the middle. I come from a European military family so I personally know many of them, be they resistants, deportees, communists, mega right wing...
I don't think Austria would have resisted too hard even with guns. Of course some Austrians would have.
O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]

TaintedAndDelish

Sorry guys, thought it was an interesting account. I'll back off.

Beorning

A minor media scandal from here:

A journalist (sort of) hired two actors and had them set up some fake interviews for false jobs in a town stricken with unemployment. The actors interviewed some applicants and, apparently, managed to make them agree to some... shady jobs. One applicant supposedly agreed to smuggle illegal immigrants while driving a truck, another agreed to deal drugs. Yet another agreed to be his future boss' sex toy.

All of this was recorded. The journalist plans to air it as a part of his TV show, claiming it was all a "social science experiment". Other journalists are calling for his head, saying this kind of thing is deeply unethical.

Beguile's Mistress

It may even be illegal.  Not sure how things go in Poland but it might be considered a violation of personal privacy in some places.  It smacks of a so-called journalist victimizing people to make a name for himself. 

Beorning

I don't know the legal details for this situation... The journalist in question claims that the interviewed people signed some kind of release forms, so that he could film them legally. But who knows..?

Lustful Bride

Someone (Evidence seems to point to China) has been hitting major internet providers and pushing their defenses to the limit.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/someone-is-testing-methods-for-taking-down-the-entire-internet/ar-BBwC7oX?li=BBnbcA1&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

So wait if someone did manage to take down the internet....wouldn't that screw up the whole world/ everyone's economy?

Seems like its a M.A.D. tactic.

Vekseid

Quote from: TaintedAndDelish on September 25, 2016, 04:07:20 PM
Sorry guys, thought it was an interesting account. I'll back off.

No it isn't, it's neoreactionary, pro-fascist propaganda in the guise of being anti-nazi. Specifically, this is an anti-Obama hit piece - one of many ludicrous attacks on Obama falsely comparing him to Hitler.

You can't even be bothered to fact check?

For the curious, people can find summaries and responses to this hateful drivel here:

http://brennansview.blogspot.com/2013/01/kitty-werthmann-and-misuse-of-hitler.html

Beguile's Mistress

One of the fallacies pushed by the GOP and the NRA is that all Democrats want guns taken away from everyone, yet when you listen to the speeches and responses to questions you should come away with the idea that keeping our Second Amendment right inviolate yet finding a way to control the availability of guns to criminals, terrorists and those on no-fly lists as well as people who have been deemed unfit mentally is what most people want.  We need common sense and balance, not fanaticism or reactionary ideas.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on September 25, 2016, 05:51:33 PM
One of the fallacies pushed by the GOP and the NRA is that all Democrats want guns taken away from everyone, yet when you listen to the speeches and responses to questions you should come away with the idea that keeping our Second Amendment right inviolate yet finding a way to control the availability of guns to criminals, terrorists and those on no-fly lists as well as people who have been deemed unfit mentally is what most people want.  We need common sense and balance, not fanaticism or reactionary ideas.

I would be more okay with it if the people making these bills had more knowledge about guns beyond a google search. And some of them not even that much. >_>

I also live in constant unease over the thought that those 'mentally unfit' will automatically include me due to being on the autism spectrum. Even though I will happily admit there are some on the spectrum who should be kept miles away from anything resembling a firearm. I don't want to be thrown into a box just because of something that only affects me 5% of the time in my entire life.

If that makes any sense beyond my usual ramblings :P

Beguile's Mistress

As long as there is no chance of a firearm being used by a person who is not self-aware and in control of their actions I can't see a problem.  Your physicians should be able to evaluate you for ownership in that case if it comes such a thing.  Each situation needs to be evaluated individually.  Rather than fighting a farcical war against the threat of gun confiscation the NRA should be trying to protect your rights. 

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on September 25, 2016, 06:56:58 PM
As long as there is no chance of a firearm being used by a person who is not self-aware and in control of their actions I can't see a problem.  Your physicians should be able to evaluate you for ownership in that case if it comes such a thing.  Each situation needs to be evaluated individually.  Rather than fighting a farcical war against the threat of gun confiscation the NRA should be trying to protect your rights.

The NRA stopped being an gun-owner's advocacy group a long time ago. It's purely a gun manufacturers' advocacy group now. Anything at all that potentially reduces the quantity of guns or ammo sold is something to be blocked at all costs.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on September 25, 2016, 07:05:26 PM
The NRA stopped being an gun-owner's advocacy group a long time ago. It's purely a gun manufacturers' advocacy group now. Anything at all that potentially reduces the quantity of guns or ammo sold is something to be blocked at all costs.

Sadly I have started to agree with this sentiment. Which is sad because one of the first gun control legislations was pushed forth by the NRA to keep mafia members from obtaining weapons. :(

LisztesFerenc

Quote from: Lustful Bride on September 25, 2016, 07:20:13 PM
Sadly I have started to agree with this sentiment. Which is sad because one of the first gun control legislations was pushed forth by the NRA to keep mafia members from obtaining weapons. :(

Yeah, from what I understand the NRA started out as a sensible group, but that stopped some time between the start of the century and the Civil Rights Movement. I heard they actually opposed open carry when black people started policing their own neighborhoods, and even now with stories of black people being shot for carrying guns, you'd think the NRA would have something to say about that, but apparently that rhetoric is only for white people (unless the NRA has issued a statement on the matter and I simply didn't hear about it).

Oniya

Quote from: LisztesFerenc on September 26, 2016, 02:32:58 AM
  Yeah, from what I understand the NRA started out as a sensible group, but that stopped some time between the start of the century and the Civil Rights Movement. I heard they actually opposed open carry when black people started policing their own neighborhoods, and even now with stories of black people being shot for carrying guns, you'd think the NRA would have something to say about that, but apparently that rhetoric is only for white people (unless the NRA has issued a statement on the matter and I simply didn't hear about it).

Their general response to people getting shot is 'Wee need moar gunzzzz!' - unless the death was an accident or a suicide, in which case their statement resembles cricket on a summer evening.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17