Sudden Black Screen, Fans at Full Speed?

Started by Twisted Crow, May 31, 2020, 05:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twisted Crow

So my monitor sometimes just stops getting input (as if my computer is off) and my fans just go full-on leaf blower. Honestly, I can't figure out when or why it keeps happening, to be honest.

My ancient machine is an AMD Athlon X4 651 Quad-Core Processor 3Ghz, running Windows 7 x64 bit OS.

So, yeah... what is essentially a standard ATM machine at this point.  ::)

Twisted Crow

Cleaned the inside of dust. I was figuring that it was my video card, but that doesn't seem to be the problem. My gut tells me that this could be a power supply going bad. Swapping it out now to see if that does something for me...

Twisted Crow

So... success, I think?

I'm definitely noticing better performance out of my system. Before, I'd get windows leaving "pieces" of itself on my screen after closing or moving them. Like it would take a while for my desktop to 'refresh' itself.

System is still running after 15 minutes, display is still up. No black screen, yet. Fans are not leaf-blowing.

Let's see how this goes after an hour. Maybe I should test things with some programs, like games and what not.

Nowherewoman

Quote from: Dallas on June 05, 2020, 05:26:15 PM
Cleaned the inside of dust. I was figuring that it was my video card, but that doesn't seem to be the problem. My gut tells me that this could be a power supply going bad. Swapping it out now to see if that does something for me...

Unlikely it's a PS.  That'd just drop out, not spin your fans up.  Clearing dust is a good thing; It sounds more, though, like a failing video card, bad drivers, or maybe some wonky OC software.  Are you using Afterburner or any after-market video software?  I'd also check and make sure that, if the machine has on-board video, it's turned off in the BIOS.  Quantum events are a thing, and sometimes, though rarely, settings can get borked.
Instead of obsessing on the person you want to be, focus on who you DON'T want to be. It's much easier to not do certain things than to break your head on some ideal of yourself.

When the dust settles, you may find out you've become who you were supposed to be all along.

more me here now!  (O/Os, ideas and junk): https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=215830.0

and mea culpas  (A/As): https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=221151.0

Twisted Crow

Took my PC to my friends place. It had problems starting up. Black screen. Beeping. He discovered that I had a bad battery on the motherboard. Its replaced. Still troubleshooting other problems on it. Like my Bearextender forgetting that it is an extender.

Twisted Crow

Also, thanks. Running that by him, too while I am here.

I am not overclocking anything, by the by.  :-)