Cooperative Pathfinder

Started by Jaded, September 03, 2014, 01:59:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaded

As I'd like to play a Pathfinder game but there seems to be a dearth of GMs.  I was wondering if anyone would be interested in trying to do something of a cooperative (GM-less) game where the plot is (loosely) agreed upon before hand but changes based upon the encounters and similar.  I am thinking a group of 2 heroines and 1 person who is willing to play the villains (but isn't necessarily the GM), though 3 heroines who are willing to also take over NPCs could work.  I wouldn't want to go beyond a group of 3, though might be interested in a couple of games.

So, it may be a silly idea and at the very least would require everyone to be interested and involved if it even works, but would anyone be interested?

I'd be looking for a NC or Extreme game, probably high in smut.  I'd want to play a heroine and not just villains. 

Sahariel

Hi Jaded,

I have ran three long term pathfinder games off of E with my tabletop group. I have also tried my hand at running a 3.5 game on E. I took over for another GM and the power level was a bit over the top. Although, this was before I had Heroes Lab or any encounter builders. I think even a high level online game would be manageable with heroes lab. Regarding setting, I suggest a homebrew Dark Fantasy setting; we could go for a high magic dark fantasy setting like Dragon Age or a low magic setting like George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones.

In terms of content, I am fine with NC and some extreme elements, e.g. dragons, demons, angels, minotaurs, orcs, goblins, werewolves, etc. Although, I don't do intimate/smutty scenes with male players.  Women with male genitalia and furries are also reds although nearly everything else is negotiable. Regarding the crunch, I usually let my players roll their ability scores via the 4d6 method and start them off at level 1, or level 4-5 if they are playing experienced adventurers in shorter campaigns. We could go with either character generation route in this game.

Sahariel

OyabunKobold

I wouldn't mind hopping in on this if you both would like a third.

I have little to no Gming experience so I cannot gm or Id be throwing together a game myself because my Dnd/PF itch is driving me bonkers. I usually stick to the more sneaky classes like Ranger/monk/Rogue Or the impenetrable wall known as the barbarian but I'm open to testing my feet again in a spell casting class if that's what we would need at the time. Just had bad experiences with the great and powerful spell casters so I veer away from them even if they might have been my favorite class once upon a time.

If it matters I almost always play Female characters I'm open to playing a futa or a furry if needed/wanted and if its really a issue Id be willing to play a male as well My comfort just lies in the feminine physique ;). I prefer the Point buy method to be honest than the roll method gives a bit more control and Ive grown to love it. Rolling is fine for me though I learned on rolling. I also wouldn't mind starting at Lvl 1 or lower level... I just kind of want a game that lasts longer than level 2-3 at best to be honest. I love building into something amazing but I have never been able to reach Lvl 10 in DnD 3.0/3.5/PF sadly.

Rating level I'm fine with whatever you two would want. Only real no things are vore gore and bodily functions for me. So I'm pretty open in that aspect.

~Oyabun

Currently owed posts: 0/0 | Currently owed Pms: 0| Currently owed offline posts: 0/0
Current Roleplay capacity 0/0

Sahariel

Hi Oyabun,

Just out of curiosity, what kind of experience did you have with a spell caster? They are rather squishy unless you go for an armored magus and even then, I think they are limited to light armor at low levels. I am not opposed to the point buy method. I have been in games where the GMs used point boy. If we were to go that route, I'd say 25 Points.

OyabunKobold

Every Spellcaster i made in any 3.5 public game i was in was 1hkoed either 1st or 2nd fight into the session. Either they be at the end of the party group or in the middle of the party group someone or something ended up killing them in 1 hit. So i got tired of making 20 characters for them to last at best 30 minutes into a game before I'm off making a new character because every monster in the world wants mage meat.

Currently owed posts: 0/0 | Currently owed Pms: 0| Currently owed offline posts: 0/0

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quick note expressing interest. Sahariel, were you volunteering as a 'stable' GM as opposed to what Jaded initially posted (suggesting a sort of GM round-robin)?

I'm interested either way, just curious.

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:
Savage Worlds of My Little Pony <- Just what it says. Free supplement for SW. (Or any other MLP RP!!! :D)
Eclipse Phase <- Posthuman grit SF, open source, downloadable from their web site. VERY deep worldbuilding.
Cold City <- Espionage meets the Lovecraftian supernatural. Allies in post-war Berlin chasing down the results of secret Nazi experiments
a|state <- Post-apocalyptic sort-of-steampunk, sort-of-high tech roleplay in a massive, decaying, broken-down city-state.

Sahariel

Quote from: CarnivalOfTheGoat on September 06, 2014, 06:51:45 PM
Quick note expressing interest. Sahariel, were you volunteering as a 'stable' GM as opposed to what Jaded initially posted (suggesting a sort of GM round-robin)?

I'm interested either way, just curious.

We could go either route. I have GMed three Pathfinder games with my old tabletop group. In one of these, one of my friends handled sessions with his own cast of NPCs. I enjoyed the unforseen permutations and hilarious moments that resulted from the former approach.

Whichever route we take, I might ask the other players to handle NPCs at different points. As with my previous games, I would award additional XP for helping out.

Zaer Darkwail

It's quite a ganking for mages for you OyabunKyuubi :P. I would not target mages unless they wore robes and had magic staff too so even dumbest monster knows they are casters (and thus need eliminated first). Also even so healthy amount HP and AC helps also (and later on contingencies) to cover one hit kills.

Anyways I voice interest also as this is interesting concept which I had pondered also; a open GM'less Pathfinder/DnD game where everyone controls NPC's in turns and keeps game going (or plot going).

Jaded

Hmm. 

If Sahariel, OyabunKyuubi, CarnivalOfTheGoat Zaer Darkwail, and myself are interested. 

The simplest way to divide it may be:
Sahariel, CarnivalOfTheGoat and myself for one game.
OyabunKyuubi, Zaer Darkwail, and myself for the other.

(Unless someone else would prefer to be in both).  I divide it that way as I believe Sahariel prefers that those he does smutty scenes with are female?  I would also prefer to limit things to 3 in any one game.  Does that work for everyone?

Sahariel

So, these are the character guidelines I am considering.

Starting Level: 3
Ability Scores: 25 (Epic Fantasy)
Races: Core or feature races with value no greater than 15 RP. Certain Uncommon races may be suitable too; please inquire with the GM about specific Uncommon races.
Classes: Any core class, base class, or the antipaladin alternate class.

Caveat: This will be a Dark Epic Fantasy game akin to Dragon Age or Game of Thrones. There may be  Ninjas, and Samurai, Kitsune or Catfolk in this world but not on the content where the players begin play.

Sahariel

Quote from: Jaded on September 07, 2014, 03:50:13 AM
Hmm. 

If Sahariel, OyabunKyuubi, CarnivalOfTheGoat Zaer Darkwail, and myself are interested. 

The simplest way to divide it may be:
Sahariel, CarnivalOfTheGoat and myself for one game.
OyabunKyuubi, Zaer Darkwail, and myself for the other.

(Unless someone else would prefer to be in both).  I divide it that way as I believe Sahariel prefers that those he does smutty scenes with are female?  I would also prefer to limit things to 3 in any one game.  Does that work for everyone?

That's brilliant, yes, let's do that.

Zaer Darkwail

The setups looks great Jaded, so if Sahariel's group is going to be dark epic fantasy with inspirations from Dragon Age and Game of Thrones, considering Jaded plays in both groups so other groups need other variants involved.

Starting Level: 12
Ability Scores: 25 (epic fantasy)
Races: Core or uncommon races with value no greater than 15 RP.
Classes: Any Core, Basic, antipaladin and Hybrids. Including psionics.
Theme: Considering most games in E do not go past level 10 I want to try hands in higher level pathfinder game. The game premise is that there was some years ago massive magical apocalypse (source unknown) but it resulted in landscape blowing up, reshaping and creation of aberrant creatures which have been menace since then as they breed like rabbits (and they raid settlements for 'breeding stock' for aberrant monster tribes). Civilization as it was known at the time was destroyed and as decades went by it became merely a memory.

Players in this case have successfully worked to build a community, fostered it, protected it and build a actual respectable fortress town in middle of wilderness. However resources are scarce and they need find more, more people settle in, expand their town while dealing with daily threats of aberrations. There is no economy to speak of, as all focus on survival in the apocalyptic world so any magic items what players possess are findings from ruined cities.

It is 100 years since the apocalypse happened so most races do not remember it (unless your elf or middle aged to longer living races). So overall theme is building a civilization from scrap, build city and survive in the world overall. Every player has major leader role in the community but it's possible none of them has leadership feat (nor landlord feat from stronghold builder's guide).

However if they do have, they have more people (and thus influence) over them and landlord adds more gp to build the town (which is build along with building the chars).

Interdiction of words

Posts are currently: Medium
Darn work and school is getting in the way. I will get posts out as fast as I can but it is going to be hard on me as for you.

Oh my, I haven't posted on our thread? PM me or check out my A&A

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: Sahariel on September 07, 2014, 04:30:50 AM
So, these are the character guidelines I am considering.

Starting Level: 3
Ability Scores: 25 (Epic Fantasy)
Races: Core or uncommon races with value no greater than 15 RP.
Classes: Any core class, base class, or the antipaladin alternate class.

Caveat: This will be a Dark Epic Fantasy game akin to Dragon Age or Game of Thrones. There may be  Ninjas, and Samurai, Kitsune or Catfolk in this world but not on the content where the players begin play.

Just checking to see if I'm understanding, as most often I see 'Core or Featured except (list)' rather than 'Core or Uncommon.' Reason being that 'Featured' races include such gaming standbys as Tieflings, Aasimar, Drow and Goblins, while 'Uncommon' races includes weird stuff like Wayangs, Merfolk and Kitsune.

I do trend away from human because, well, I play one in real life and it's gotten pretty well advanced and multi-classed at this point. ;)

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:
Savage Worlds of My Little Pony <- Just what it says. Free supplement for SW. (Or any other MLP RP!!! :D)
Eclipse Phase <- Posthuman grit SF, open source, downloadable from their web site. VERY deep worldbuilding.
Cold City <- Espionage meets the Lovecraftian supernatural. Allies in post-war Berlin chasing down the results of secret Nazi experiments
a|state <- Post-apocalyptic sort-of-steampunk, sort-of-high tech roleplay in a massive, decaying, broken-down city-state.

Zaer Darkwail

Also bit idea to brew on how to run DnD/Pathfinder game without GM;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ai-j6YJ0rBw

The boardgame concept is very nice but it also gives idea how to perhaps make a GM'less game. You could make list of encounter tables and then when you progress to next encounter you roll does party face anything or not or is there some hindering factor (or skill challenge) on their way. Using d100 dice to roll stuff and so even if players are aware of monster stats but they do not know beforehand what they are facing and thus build 'story' based on encounters what they get.

Opinions on this?

Pumpkin Seeds

Wow this does look like a great concept.

Zaer Darkwail

Yeah, although saving players time you cannot make encounter table for everything, you could roll urban encounter (while going tavern) so the player who made the roll decides does encounter happen in tavern or in street (as either way you end up to tavern after encounter is over and do your usual business in there).

The bad stuff can be between 'some old enemy of the player attempts poison them' and thus the player who rolled it controls NPC related to said bad stuff encounter. Bad stuff have certain percentage to always occur in addition normal encounter. If some mix of encounter + bad stuff does not make sense, it is test of creativity to apply them.

Sahariel

Quote from: CarnivalOfTheGoat on September 07, 2014, 03:04:40 PM
Just checking to see if I'm understanding, as most often I see 'Core or Featured except (list)' rather than 'Core or Uncommon.' Reason being that 'Featured' races include such gaming standbys as Tieflings, Aasimar, Drow and Goblins, while 'Uncommon' races includes weird stuff like Wayangs, Merfolk and Kitsune.

I do trend away from human because, well, I play one in real life and it's gotten pretty well advanced and multi-classed at this point. ;)

Oh, yes. That was a SNAFU on my part. Yes, Core and Featured. I would also say several of the uncommon planar races would be appropriate. I think the Ifrit idea is excellent.

CarnivalOfTheGoat

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

Sahariel

Quote from: CarnivalOfTheGoat on September 08, 2014, 11:44:21 AM
Standard wibble?

Yes, standard wibble. On another note, I am working on a plot outline and I have a good idea how you and Jaded will begin your adventures. Also. I am also have two background templates. Please include the first one in your descriptions and feel free to go through the second if you would like.

I will be awarding bonus xp for detailed character backgrounds.

Basic Background
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Race:

Plane of Origin:

Profession: This needn't be your character's class, a point in performance (singing) and she might be a songstress, a point in profession (blacksmith) and she might be a smith.

Family: The living and the dead. Your heroine's family may show up, at some point.

Orientation:

Looks like: Please include a picture of your heroine. Also, if there is a film, television, indie film actress, or model who mirrors the look and attitude of your heroine, you can, but certainly don't have to, include a second image.

And a longer background prompt from http://www.plus1gaming.com/2011/07/20-questions-for-deep-character-creation]plus1gaming.com]http://www.plus1gaming.com/2011/07/20-questions-for-deep-character-creation

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

1. What emotion best describes your character?

2. What emotion does your character evoke in others?

3. What does your character need most?

4. What is your character’s goal in life?

5. How does your character believe this goal can be accomplished?

6. Where did your character come from?

7. When did you grow up?

8. What values does your character hold?

9. How does your character dress?

10. What are your character’s means?

11. What are your character’s personal tastes?

12. What are your character’s opinions?

13. What is your character’s comfort zone?

14. Who has had the biggest impact on your character’s life?

15. What are some of your character’s unexpected quirks?

16. What kind of story does your character belong in?

17. What role does your character fill?

18. What should the other players know about your character?

19. What is your play style?

20. How do you want your character to die?
[/list]

OyabunKobold

Maybe Ill catch this on another go around My life's getting kinda busy and stressful so I'm going to keep my roleplays down a bit so i can focus on the few in much clearer detail.

Ill hop into one of these later though its quite an interesting concept.

Jaded

Ah, okay.  Thanks for letting me know OyabunKyuubi. 

Were you interested in Zaer's idea Interdiction of words?  Admittedly I am a bit leery of a higher level game, but will give it a shot.

Hmm, I think I've played a different version of that Driz'zt game.  Was interesting/fun/simple. 

OyabunKobold

The only thing about higher level games that make me leery is Ive never been above level 6 in a game... in the 11 years of roleplaying all my games have ended before or at lvl 6 so I have 0 idea of what a lvl 12 character looks like let alone how to really play one.

Zaer Darkwail

It's rare to get play higher level chars, so that's why I proposed the second group being higher level than usual as it's a different experience compared to playing in low level.

Interdiction of words

I guess that makes sense but you are the one that will deal the final blow for I am just a mere patron of the people
Posts are currently: Medium
Darn work and school is getting in the way. I will get posts out as fast as I can but it is going to be hard on me as for you.

Oh my, I haven't posted on our thread? PM me or check out my A&A