Xbox One Vs PS4 - Next Gen gaming

Started by Moraline, May 21, 2013, 03:35:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

I'm starting to look at next gen options:

I like the PS4
I kind of like the Xbone (no the name shall remain) now that its decided to get competitive. I fear no camera that can be foiled by a tea towel. Seriously, if I'm not using it in then I can toss a dish towel over the lens. I wouldn't want dust scratching it or anything. ::)

I don't know. I think XBone should be acknowledged for changing, at least they're pretending they care about consumers (I know it's really just to stay competitive with the PS4. I don't know. I really like some of the exclusives. It'll definitely be a second tier purchase.

There's always a PC, but I really find them a headache most days. :\

There's also the WiiU (which I do not consider Nintendo's next-gen offering). I don't even know if Nintendo has next gen ambitions. It would definitely hurt them financially to release two consoles so close to one another. :\
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Inkidu on July 18, 2013, 11:53:18 AM
I'm starting to look at next gen options:

I like the PS4
I kind of like the Xbone (no the name shall remain) now that its decided to get competitive. I fear no camera that can be foiled by a tea towel. Seriously, if I'm not using it in then I can toss a dish towel over the lens. I wouldn't want dust scratching it or anything. ::)

Originally (not sure what it'll do now), that would have shut you out of your games.  All of them.

Quote from: Inkidu on July 18, 2013, 11:53:18 AMI don't know. I think XBone should be acknowledged for changing, at least they're pretending they care about consumers (I know it's really just to stay competitive with the PS4. I don't know. I really like some of the exclusives. It'll definitely be a second tier purchase.

The issue is perception.  They caved in, fine.  What makes you think they'll not do it again?  The fact of it is what ever trust they built up over the lifespan of the 360, they've been steadily killing since the Kinect days.  The E3 reveal didn't help them either after their debacle of a Press Con before it.

Quote from: Inkidu on July 18, 2013, 11:53:18 AMThere's always a PC, but I really find them a headache most days. :\

They are, especially when wanting to play more recent games.  The Hardware War is a bitch to the wallet.

Quote from: Inkidu on July 18, 2013, 11:53:18 AMThere's also the WiiU (which I do not consider Nintendo's next-gen offering). I don't even know if Nintendo has next gen ambitions. It would definitely hurt them financially to release two consoles so close to one another. :\
Nintendo is off in their own little land.  No one on the Western financial side has any idea what they're doing.  And given the rather lack luster sales to date, it might just be that even the Big N has no idea what they're doing.

They need to pull a '3DS'.  Where they suddenly have a HUGE slew of new games and companies investing on the platform during the holiday season.  The issue is that Ubisoft had the last two exclusives, and they removed one (made it multiplatform) because their launch title effectively bombed on the Wii U.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Inkidu

What if their dinky little thing can't find a warm body it shut you out of your games? I never read anything about it doing that. :\

I think that might be giving the evil big brother thing too much credit. I'm more than willing to let it watch me while I play, but don't expect me to let it look around when I'm not actually doing something with it.

Meh, the worst thing I can do is rob a few MS employees of their sight. :)
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Inkidu on July 18, 2013, 02:19:30 PM
What if their dinky little thing can't find a warm body it shut you out of your games? I never read anything about it doing that. :\
I'm trying to find the article, but they claimed the camera had to see 'something' or it wouldn't work.  It didn't have to identify who it was, just register some sort of motion.

But seeing as MS redacted that, it's making it hard to find the article I'm remembering.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Inkidu

Quote from: Chris Brady on July 18, 2013, 02:23:23 PM
I'm trying to find the article, but they claimed the camera had to see 'something' or it wouldn't work.  It didn't have to identify who it was, just register some sort of motion.

But seeing as MS redacted that, it's making it hard to find the article I'm remembering.
So it could be foiled by a dip-dip bird? XD

Moraline

... towel doesn't turn off the built in mic

Inkidu

Quote from: Moraline on July 18, 2013, 03:21:55 PM
... towel doesn't turn off the built in mic
Yeah, and the government is tapping my phone, and my cellphone can be turned on remotely, there's a log of all the websites I've ever visited, and there's a predator drone watching me jack it.

I'm all for speculation induced paranoia, but I just don't think Microsoft is going to get that far with it. People file patents all the time, it doesn't mean it's something they're going to get automatically.

Koren

The towel also doesn't block the inferred camera that can track your body heat and other features of you even if the main camera is blocked. The towel doesnt block shit, only thing it stops is it getting your face, can still track everything else about you.

Also yes, while Microsoft seems to have gone quiet on it, they had announced that while the Xbone was in use, if the kinect could not see people/movement in the room it would put the console into sleep mode so you would have to leave it unblocked.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Koren on July 18, 2013, 11:20:25 PM
The towel also doesn't block the inferred camera that can track your body heat and other features of you even if the main camera is blocked. The towel doesnt block shit, only thing it stops is it getting your face, can still track everything else about you.

Also yes, while Microsoft seems to have gone quiet on it, they had announced that while the Xbone was in use, if the kinect could not see people/movement in the room it would put the console into sleep mode so you would have to leave it unblocked.
Right, that was it, and sleep mode prevented you from accessing your games.

Koren

Sleep mode prevents you from doing anything except saying "Xbox On" to turn on your system again by using the always on mic

Chris Brady

Quote from: Inkidu on July 18, 2013, 04:27:20 PM
Yeah, and the government is tapping my phone, and my cellphone can be turned on remotely, there's a log of all the websites I've ever visited, and there's a predator drone watching me jack it.

I'm all for speculation induced paranoia, but I just don't think Microsoft is going to get that far with it. People file patents all the time, it doesn't mean it's something they're going to get automatically.
Did you read the article about the NSA having any and all access to any messages via Skype or Outlook?  And seeing as Skype is built-in and on, while you have the XB One active, it IS recording you?

Now, understandably, it's nothing for most people to worry about, the moment you use Facebook for anything, the U.S. Government already has access to that information.  But some of us don't want a bunch of foreigners having access to our info.

Koren

And while its all good for those people that use social media and have that sort of stuff regularly, like webcams and american emails and that sort of stuff, and who dont have registry cleaners etc, I for one don't and don't like the idea of being forced to accept potential spying for the sake of people that have already accepted it and cant be fucked doing anything about it.

Thats the other side of it as well. If it was just me I probably wouldn't care. But its EVERYONE. From old people to young children and everyone in between with every nationality and purpose.

Sex Bobomb

Come on folks, we get it, big brother is watching. In 5 years, when the console is in millions of homes  and you have all found out that it's no where near as bad as you're trying to make it, do you really think we're still gonna be debating this? Let's keep the discussion geared towards the usefulness of the consoles themselves and not some tinfoil hat unproven rumors regarding how the kinect is going to work.

Inkidu

Quote from: Chris Brady on July 19, 2013, 03:21:08 AM
Did you read the article about the NSA having any and all access to any messages via Skype or Outlook?  And seeing as Skype is built-in and on, while you have the XB One active, it IS recording you?

Now, understandably, it's nothing for most people to worry about, the moment you use Facebook for anything, the U.S. Government already has access to that information.  But some of us don't want a bunch of foreigners having access to our info.
You can always unplug it from the wall. Sure it might reset some junk, but if a person really cares about his or her privacy then resting some stuff is a small price to pay for privacy and foiling Microsoft's spying programs, right?

I mean you can't claim to care about privacy and then be too lazy to unplug your Xbone, right?

Right? :)

Moraline

Even if you don't believe that anyone will ever use it to spy on you or hack it, the tinfoil hat argument is still ridiculous. The issue isn't whether they will do it or not, the issue is giving them the ability to do it.

MS has no reason to force people to have a camera and a mic on all the time. It's creepy and not necessary.

As a consumer, I get to make a simple choice: Choose the company that's giving the government ready access to anything they want and forcing us to use some creepy cam/mic thing or go with the company that doesn't.

Sex Bobomb

Microsoft has repeatedly stated that you can control the privacy of the device. There is no reason to believe you cannot turn the mic and camera off. The only reason people are assuming this is the case is because of speculation being spread around on the internet. There is nothing to indicate that what you are all assuming to be true, is actually true. Citing patents is not proof enough, period.

QuoteIn response to concerns over privacy with its next-gen console, Microsoft has confirmed that the Xbox One and it's all-seeing Kinect sensor can be turned "completely off".

QuotePlayers will also control whether Kinect is on, off or paused. "If you don’t want the Kinect sensor on while playing games or enjoying your entertainment, you can pause Kinect. To turn off your Xbox One, just say 'Xbox Off.' When the system is off, it’s only listening for the single voice command -- 'Xbox On,' and you can even turn that feature off too.

QuoteYour personal data will never be available to anyone outside of your console, Microsoft stressed. "You can play games or enjoy applications that use data, such as videos, photos, facial expressions, heart rate and more, but this data will not leave your Xbox One without your explicit permission."

Honestly, folks. These are official statements from Microsoft. Please stop buying in to the bandwagon nonsense you read on the internet. If you're going to twist these words into some new meaning, then you're expressly looking for an excuse to hate the system, and we have nothing further to discuss.

As I've stated in the past, I have nothing against PS4, I think it's a great system. I'm also not a Xbox fanboy. I am just sick and tired of the internet's knee-jerk reactionary inflammatory judgment passing with little or incorrect information before the console is even out.

Moraline

Quote from: Sex Bobomb on July 19, 2013, 09:27:05 AM
Microsoft has repeatedly stated that you can control the privacy of the device. There is no reason to believe you cannot turn the mic and camera off. The only reason people are assuming this is the case is because of speculation being spread around on the internet. There is nothing to indicate that what you are all assuming to be true, is actually true. Citing patents is not proof enough, period.

Honestly, folks. These are official statements from Microsoft. Please stop buying in to the bandwagon nonsense you read on the internet. If you're going to twist these words into some new meaning, then you're expressly looking for an excuse to hate the system, and we have nothing further to discuss.

As I've stated in the past, I have nothing against PS4, I think it's a great system. I'm also not a Xbox fanboy. I am just sick and tired of the internet's knee-jerk reactionary inflammatory judgment passing with little or incorrect information before the console is even out.
2 things..

1) Can you please link the source for that stuff. Quote tags don't make them quotes without the source.
2) I find it amusing when you speak about knee-jerk inflammatory reactions when that is precisely what you are doing in response to those very same things. Just because your opinion is counter to the popular one does not make it any more correct or right. I'm not saying that it isn't, I'm just saying that it may not be. So giving it such a passionate counter point comes across as being rather reactionary.

Also, I don't actually think anyone here is having any sort of knee-jerk reactions. Sure some of us are a little paranoid but given the recent spying cases in the media there's good reason for it.. and sure Inkidu is a little inflammatory with his vehement opposition to all things online but he has a valid point. We have been simply stating our opinions of directly cited sourced information.

People are giving their concerns based on the information that they have at their disposal from the cited sources provided. Give them other information and they'll express different views. I know I did when I was an XBOne supporter then switched to a PS4 supporter.

As I said in my last post.. It's just a consumer choice.. I either go with the creepy company or the less creepy company. Right now, MS is feeling kinda creepy. Help MS find a way to come across a little less creepy and maybe I'll change my mind.

... Of course for me there is still the issue of the wasted extra $100 cost which is basically only there to cover the cost of a cam/mic device that I don't even want or want to use.  So, the way I see it, XBOne has a long way to go even if they can be found to be less creepy. The deck is stacked against them.

Sex Bobomb

Quote1) Can you please link the source for that stuff. Quote tags don't make them quotes without the source.

Happily. This is official, as I said, and is found with a quick google search. Half a minute of research debunks nearly every claim flying around the internet.

Quote2) I find it amusing when you speak about knee-jerk inflammatory reactions when that is precisely what you are doing in response to those very same things. Just because your opinion is counter to the popular one does not make it any more correct or right. I'm not saying that it isn't, I'm just saying that it may not be. So giving it such a passionate counter point comes across as being rather reactionary.

If by reactionary you mean that I am reacting to your points, then yes? Passionate? Yes, I firmly believe in what I'm saying. Maybe you missed part of my post.

QuoteI am just sick and tired of the internet's knee-jerk reactionary inflammatory judgment passing with little or incorrect information before the console is even out.

That is the basis for my claims of reactionary. My opposing your views is one thing. Views formed based on what I mentioned above is another. This is illustrated clearly by googling "Kinect 2 Privacy" and clicking on the very first link.

QuoteAlso, I don't actually think anyone here is having any sort of knee-jerk reactions. Sure some of us are a little paranoid but given the recent spying cases in the media there's good reason for it.. and sure Inkidu is a little inflammatory with his vehement opposition to all things online but he has a valid point. We have been simply stating our opinions of directly cited sourced information.

People are giving their concerns based on the information that they have at their disposal from the cited sources provided. Give them other information and they'll express different views. I know I did when I was an XBOne supporter then switched to a PS4 supporter.

Well, I have a cited source above stating that everything you're pinning on the system is either skewed or 100% false. It has been explicitly stated, by Microsoft, that data will not leave the system without consent. That the Kinect is both able to be turned off completely and that it can be suspended while the system is on. I honestly do not know what more you need. A blood oath?

QuoteAs I said in my last post.. It's just a consumer choice.. I either go with the creepy company or the less creepy company. Right now, MS is feeling kinda creepy. Help MS find a way to come across a little less creepy and maybe I'll change my mind.

100% subjective. I won't bother trying to change your opinion of "creepiness" of one company over another. Even if Microsoft has stated themselves that the "creep" factor you're claiming is inaccurate or untrue. It's good to know, though, that you make purchases of hundreds of dollars based on creep factor.

Quote... Of course for me there is still the issue of the wasted extra $100 cost which is basically only there to cover the cost of a cam/mic device that I don't even want or want to use.  So, the way I see it, XBOne has a long way to go even if they can be found to be less creepy. The deck is stacked against them.

Again, subjective. Based on personal whim. And not the subject of the discussion. If you don't want the kinect, that's your business, but it has nothing to do with the "spying" claims that I am arguing against. Frankly, if we're offering opinions on the matter, I think that the price of less than two games isn't really enough to make me say the "deck is stacked against them." Although numbers haven't been released, I would say the fact that both consoles are sold out of preorders indicates that the decks are pretty even.

In all honesty, I have no idea why you're offering bias to one system or the other to begin with, when you can have both. Yes, I understand money is a factor. But competition is great for us as a consumer, and trying to brush the XBone off as "creepy" (when you're clearly wrong) and whatever else you might say is silly.

Slywyn

Quote from: Sex Bobomb on July 19, 2013, 09:27:05 AM

1) Your own example refutes your quote. The kinect can be 'turned off' and yet it's still listening for commands? Even if it's one command, it's still on, and still listening. Still listening =/= off.

2) Considering how aggressive your tone is I think it's perfectly reasonable for anyone to be defensive when responding.
What Makes A Shark Tick ( o/o's )

"True friendship is when you walk into their house and your WiFi automatically connects." - The Internet, Probably

I'm just the silliest, friendliest little shark that ever did. Sure, I have all these teeth but I don't bite... much.

Sex Bobomb

Quote from: Slywyn on July 19, 2013, 10:41:17 AM
1) Your own example refutes your quote. The kinect can be 'turned off' and yet it's still listening for commands? Even if it's one command, it's still on, and still listening. Still listening =/= off.

2) Considering how aggressive your tone is I think it's perfectly reasonable for anyone to be defensive when responding.

Players will also control whether Kinect is on, off or paused. "If you don’t want the Kinect sensor on while playing games or enjoying your entertainment, you can pause Kinect. To turn off your Xbox One, just say 'Xbox Off.' When the system is off, it’s only listening for the single voice command -- 'Xbox On,' and you can even turn that feature off too.

That was posted in my response above.

Also, I apologize you don't like my tone. I don't recall calling anyone out for being defensive, just basing their assumptions without knowing the fact.

Slywyn

That feature(Kinect being able to be turned off) was only addedafter people got in an uproar over it. It should have been included in the first place.

"True friendship is when you walk into their house and your WiFi automatically connects." - The Internet, Probably

I'm just the silliest, friendliest little shark that ever did. Sure, I have all these teeth but I don't bite... much.

Sex Bobomb

... And your point is what? The always online thing was reversed too. Are you going to not buy a console because of something that is no longer an issue? I'm not trying to change your mind, but how is this a valid argument?

Look, I have said this before and I will say it again. I am super excited about this generation. But people arguing stuff like the post above me is silly and not constructive. I understand the privacy concerns related to Kinect, but people are blowing it way out of proportion. What one really should be basing their decision off of is the games, first and foremost. That is what is going to matter in 5 years. Not some controversy about always online, not over wrought fears about privacy.

Games.

Slywyn

I'm sorry, but the piece of hardware that plays the games is going to factor into the decision. And Microsoft? They tried to put what amounts to a spycam that the filed patents with which to spy on us with in people's living room, tried to force 'always on' down our throats, insulted the military "Oh we have a system for soldiers already, it's called the 360" (we don't care about you so have our old stuff), and tried to paint the consumers as idiots because we disagreed with their decisions.

So yes, the hardware to play the games does matter. And Xbone, even if the problems have been fixed, had the problems in the first place whereas the PS4 did not.

I'm not going to buy an Xbone for those reasons alone, because I don't agree with what microsoft is doing and what it tried to do.

And games? The PS4 is going to have the ones I care about, and doesn't have the same baggage that the Xbone does. So the choice is clear on that front too.

Sex Bobomb

Everyone thought the PS3 and Xbox 360 were going to be sooo different in terms of hardware and architecture. Most side by side comparison, they look nearly identical. So no, hardware is not as big a factor as you're trying to make it seem. It's about the experience of the software on the platform. You can try and argue against that until you're blue in the face, but this current generation illustrated perfectly that it's about the service and the games, not the hardware.

Patents. Again. Seriously, stop.

Here is a webpage full of ridiculous patents that will never see the light of day. Same thing applies to technology.

I'm glad you think the PS4 has the better games. I'm actually inclined to agree. For the 3rd time, my argument isn't about PS4 versus XBone. It's about the ridiculous justifications people are using to put one on a pedestal over the other. They are both going to be great machines.

Sony is not the savior of console gaming, folks. Yes, they handled the PR better than Microsoft. But let's all stop pretending like Microsoft is the devil and XBone is the harbinger of their coming.

I'm out.

Slywyn

Xbox and PS3 were actually pretty different. So different that it took the developers years to actually use the PS3's hardware to it's full potential, because they had to figure the damn thing out first. Look at any game comparison. Each console does different parts of the game differently, because they are designed and built differently.

And you can talk about patents not being used until you're blue in the face but they filed the patent in the first place which shows they thought about and at least at one point actually considered using it, even if they dropped it.

Again, Xbone has 'services' that nobody wants that they're still going to charge you extra for or that a lot of consumers just don't care about.

PS4 is cheaper and doesn't force that on you.