News:

Main Menu

Scary Computer Hiccup

Started by Delta Echo, January 13, 2010, 10:35:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delta Echo

Well, that was scary...

When I plugged in my network cable today, the (very old, as in hasn't been updated since we got this WinXP computer) Norton Firewall popped up a High Risk box saying "Blai Trojan is attempting to access this computer". (A quick Google turns up nothing by that name so I might have misread it in my bleariness/surprise.) AVG, which I just installed and more just updated, said nothing...

At first I was going to GoBack, but then decided just to unhook and rehook the network cable. And I get a "Local Connection Only" situation.

Uh-oh.

After a moment's panicking I decide to GoBack, and after taking an extra moment to connect after doing so, it's working fine...whew!

I figure it was something confusing the touchy firewall and/or something on "their" (the provider's) end, but still, that wasn't the way I wanted to wake up. o.O
O&O - A&A
Southern Gentleman of the Arcadia Clan.

"When the world is against you, find the passion of love to survive"

mannik

Hmm...that doesn't sound good at all. At least you were able to save the situation with GoBack. But if your antivirus/firewall was worth anything it should have removed it from your computer on sight...or at least tried to. In the case it didn't though, then the virus/trojan you had might of tinkered with the install of the second, marking itself as a trusted file or something.

You said you use WinXP, so incase you haven't already, I would look into installing Avast! anti-virus. If nothing else for the fact that its free and can perform boot-time scans. In all actuality its really good. It updates its virus definitions like twice a week and when it catches a malicious connection via internet activity, it automatically blocks the connection to said web page.

Link to avast.com

Delta Echo

Hmm. Well, it did the same thing again (exactly) when I turned on the computer this afternoon (it was Bla Trojan, it claimed)...and the same fix worked. I installed Spyware Doctor and scanned, and (after giving up after 2 hours when it reached 92%...) it only found cookies and an adware. I'm wondering if it's simply Norton Firewall fritzing.

Yeah, I figured AVG should have caught it - the only thing I did different last night was visit Hulu for the first time on this computer. I might well try Avast if another AVG scan tonight turns up nothing...

Edit: And you have to pay before SpywareDoctor will remove anything. Grrrr! *goes to redownload MalwareBytes he used to have*
O&O - A&A

Oniya

Might want to check the 'Resources for a Healthy Computer' thread that Veks has up in Elliquiy U.  Lots of good freeware anti-bad-stuff programs, as well as a few recommended commercial programs.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Delta Echo

Thanks. I'll give MalwareBytes a whirl later tonight and see what it catches.
O&O - A&A