Survival of the Last (BBSW/Naruto)

Started by Hunter, June 04, 2007, 06:05:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunter

Background
It is the time of the Sixth Hokage.   An alliance of villages (including Leaf and Sand) have gathered together to destroy once and for all the Lightning village.  A co-ordinated strike has lead to the destruction of the ninja of the land of lightning but has a terrible price as well.  Those few survivors of the destruction of the village have been cut off from the rest of the word and will need to band together to survive.

Game Info:
The characters are the few remaining survivors of the battle, decendants of the characters in the series.  Yes, you can have any combination that strikes your fancy (even a one night stand can lead to a child, after all :P).

Use a standard 12 point build (defects are encouraged but will not get you any additional build points right away) when you create your character.  Any questions or thoughts, please share.   ;D

Edit: If you wanna play, please post here also!

Jefepato

Well, that's an interesting idea.

What would you say are the baseline levels of Combative and Mystical Knowledge you need to be a Naruto-style ninja?

Hunter

For a Chunin, I'd have to say probably a 2 (out of 3).

Edit: http://zara.verge-rpg.com/bbsw-plain.html

Ajoxer

Oh lord, BBSW?

Okay, I need to do this, it's just too crazy not to.
I have a shock collar, designed for maximum Player/GM efficiency. If you see that I have not properly been fulfilling my duties in posting regularly, or a game being held back because I haven't posted, PM me and give me hell!

Hunter

Assuming there's enough interest (we up to four players yet?) I'll go ahead and start this show up.    ;D ;)

Silkcat

An actual BBSW game.  Wow!  I've had fun going through the rules but never seen a game played.

Man that's tempting, but I'm so unreliable at posting frequency right now that I'd hate to bog you down.  Definitely will want to lurk.
Ons and Offs - Story Ideas - Stories Past and Present - Apologies and Absences
---
No, the avatar image isn't me, but it is a good representation of the characters I like.

Hunter

Quote from: Silkcat on June 06, 2007, 03:35:49 PM
An actual BBSW game.  Wow!  I've had fun going through the rules but never seen a game played.

Same here.  That's part of the reason I wanna do one.

And you should join, even if you're only going to be around sporatically.  I'm expecting that some of the characters are going to be injured as a result of the fighting that took place.   ;)

Rayve13

I'd be interested, though I'd need a few days to get invovled. End of the school year and all that.

Also, how much Naruto knowledge do you need? I know the basics, but I'm hardly an expert.

Hunter

I only know the basics too.  It's not like we're going to be in the canon storyline.  ;)

Silkcat

I don't even know the basics, but I can Google it. :)
Does anyone have a favorite Naruto page that might be good for explaining what's going on?
---
No, the avatar image isn't me, but it is a good representation of the characters I like.

Jefepato

By the way, Hunter, is the Sixth Hokage Naruto?

Hunter

Quote from: Jefepato on June 07, 2007, 08:05:04 AM
By the way, Hunter, is the Sixth Hokage Naruto?

Yup.

And I call dibs on a Naruto/Hinata child.   :P

Rin

I'm interested in playing, oh my yes.
"Which means we're born to lose?"
"It just means we have to live to win."

Hunter

Quote from: Silkcat on June 07, 2007, 07:16:50 AM
I don't even know the basics, but I can Google it. :)
Does anyone have a favorite Naruto page that might be good for explaining what's going on?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naruto_%28manga%29

Since there seems to be enough interest, I'll get a character thread going tonight.

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=10104.0

Jefepato

Hunter, unless I'm reading the rules totally wrong, there's not actually a Mind stat (the line mentioning it early on is a throw-away gag).  That's what the Smart advantage is for.

Hunter

You're not reading the rules wrong.  I'm changing it slightly so that there IS a Mind stat and it's used to resist seduction attempts. Why you'd resist, I don't know....   ;D

Jefepato

I guess mathematically it's no different than increasing the Intelligence advantage.  And helpful if anyone wants to play Shikamaru's kid.

I'll try to get a character together a little later.

Hunter

Honestly, it's because resisting seduction with body makes no sense to me.

Jefepato

Not to me, either.

But then, neither does gaining immense power (i.e. XP) by having tons of sex.  (This is seriously the only game ever where someone might min/max sexual encounters.)

Hunter

It IS a hentai game.  ;)  Now go post your character already so we can get this party started. 

Xerial

Quote from: Hunter on June 07, 2007, 07:43:43 PM
Honestly, it's because resisting seduction with body makes no sense to me.

Not that it's my place, but I had to comment.... nothing says you're resisting seduction like a swift kick in the pills...  ;D

Jefepato

Quote from: Jefepato on June 07, 2007, 07:41:33 PMAnd helpful if anyone wants to play Shikamaru's kid.

Which, now that I think about it, I might actually do.  Need to think about concepts more.

Not sure how to handle the shadow-related jutsus, although I guess it's sort of like Tentacle.

Rin

I presume we get all the basic jutsu free? How, with this, do we model the various Jutsu? Just make it up as we go along?
"Which means we're born to lose?"
"It just means we have to live to win."

Hunter

Quote from: Rin on June 08, 2007, 02:32:16 AM
I presume we get all the basic jutsu free? How, with this, do we model the various Jutsu? Just make it up as we go along?

It's very, very, very (very!) generalized.  Making it up as you go works for me.  So, yes.

Silkcat

Okay, I'll be ignorant and ask more questions.  I've skimmed over the wikipedia page and Cartoon Network page, but it sounds like the characters as presented there are from an earlier "epic" than we're talking about for the game.  There's no mention of Hinata, for instance.  The Naruto story does look really cool though, and I've been meaning to get into more manga and anime (my experience is limited to Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Spirited Away, and the like).  So maybe I'll try to get some or catch some episodes on Cartoon Network.

Anyway...

Here's an idea - could someone who is more conversant with Naruto volunteer to be my mentor (in and out of character).  I'll come up with a general character idea, corrected to be appropriate to the world, and my character is perhaps a younger sister or ward of the other person.

That might also help if I end up being flaky in the game, since I'm essentially a "cohort" to the more experienced player.

Sound good?

Oh, and it looks like most people in Naruto are under the board-age-limit, so I'm guessing none of us will be taking the young age disadvantages. :)

---

Ajoxer

I can take care of mentoring. Hinata is actually a secondary character, but she's the only female who has ever showed consistent interest in Naruto, and at least a FEW people are rooting for her to be the one he ends up with. Y'know, due to lack of bitchiness that is endemic in practically other female ninja at Naruto's age we've met.
I have a shock collar, designed for maximum Player/GM efficiency. If you see that I have not properly been fulfilling my duties in posting regularly, or a game being held back because I haven't posted, PM me and give me hell!

Silkcat

---

Hunter

Thanks.  ^_^

*twiddles thumbs while he waits for the characters to roll in*

Rayve13

Quick question, could we create a new character as one of the parents. Say, a woman from Sand village (related to Garra) as a mother. The abilities I like mostly come from male characters and, in spite of what some slash fiction writers may think, two men re not capable of having a child together.

Hunter

Quote from: Rayve13 on June 08, 2007, 08:12:05 PM
Quick question, could we create a new character as one of the parents. Say, a woman from Sand village (related to Garra) as a mother. The abilities I like mostly come from male characters and, in spite of what some slash fiction writers may think, two men re not capable of having a child together.

Yup.  Go right on ahead and let your imagination go wild.

Ajoxer

Hunter, quick question: No additional build points? Does that go for stuff like lower than average Talk and such, and the lowered Physical Alterations?

Hunter

Quote from: Ajoxer on June 08, 2007, 09:57:55 PM
Hunter, quick question: No additional build points? Does that go for stuff like lower than average Talk and such, and the lowered Physical Alterations?

It's a good question.  No additional build points from negatives (sorry but some of your character's abilities are going to be temporary casualties of war) but you'll get them back soon enough.

Jefepato

Hunter, any suggestions on how the Sharingan could be modeled in BBSW?  I guess there's no real need to spend points on approximations of every individual jutsu known, but...was there any kind of Hypnosis power listed?  The site seems to be currently down.

Ajoxer

Yeesh. Not giving us a whole lot of points here, are you?

Hunter

I've noticed that myself.  *sweatdrops*

Hunter

Quote from: Jefepato on June 08, 2007, 10:23:44 PM
Hunter, any suggestions on how the Sharingan could be modeled in BBSW?  I guess there's no real need to spend points on approximations of every individual jutsu known, but...was there any kind of Hypnosis power listed?  The site seems to be currently down.

There isn't but you could certainly do it as a skill (+x in hypnosis)?

Hunter

Hunter

We're just getting started, so please join us.

Hunter

We need more characters, please join!