News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Looking for help with translation.

Started by Antisoul, August 05, 2012, 12:14:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antisoul

So, I reach out to the multilingual community of Elliquiy. With a request and, apologies in advance if this has already been suggested, the proposition to use this thread to help one another with translating simply phrases and sentences from one language to another. I know that personally I can't count the times I've frustrated myself with web-translators to portray a character speaking a language I don't and feeling oddly compelled to get it 'just right'.

But who wants or can afford to professionally translate even the occasional tidbit when the computer can't do it? Rhetorical question.

My request is. Can someone transliterate (?? I'm looking for the literal meaning of this. Which would be, 'A box for storing and carrying one person's midday meal.' or 'Lunch'. ??) the word "lunchbox" into Russian? Specifically Cyrillic script with a phonetic roman spelling as well would be super. I'll write a glowingly contrived string of praises to whomever can/does. Really, I promise.

And.. lastly, should a cascade of replies along the lines of gtfo zomg etc. Come this way. Please at least do it in a different language than the last poster :-P.

Thank you for your time, enjoy.

Vekseid

You should probably specifically request a Russian speaker in your thread title. None of our Russian members are going to see 'Frustrated with Machine...' and think that it involves languages, much less theirs.

Antisoul

Quote from: Vekseid on August 05, 2012, 06:26:31 AM
You should probably specifically request a Russian speaker in your thread title. None of our Russian members are going to see 'Frustrated with Machine...' and think that it involves languages, much less theirs.

I was thinking about that, it is an excellent point. Except.. I don't know how to change the title of a thread.

Oniya

Go to your first post and select 'Edit', and you can re-do the title as you want it.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Moraline

Click modify and change the subject line. It'll change the title of the post in question.

So modify the first post and it'll change the title.  Then reply to this post with the new title and every reply after that will yield the new title.

Je vous souhaite bien.

HockeyGod

коробка для завтрака

Korobka dlya zavtraka

Literally translated as "a case (or box) for lunch"

Antisoul

Would this make sense to you alxnjsh if it were used in a sentence?

e.g. "That is my lunchbox."

Not a criticism, I ask to check this is the correct meaning. Perhaps though what I should be asking is if there is a similar word in Russian.

In any case, thank you for taking the time to help me out with that alxnjsh.

And likewise for the help fixing the title. Sorry I hadn't gotten to it sooner.

HockeyGod

No, this merely means "lunch box." If you want a sentence that says "that is my lunchbox" you would say:

Это моя коробка для завтрака

Eh-ta my-a ka-robe-ka dlya zavt-ra-ka

Antisoul

Ah, thank you. So then in English I would say 'lunchbox' and in Russian I would say 'коробка для завтрака' and not be explaining what a lunchbox is but saying it?

Again thank you for the help and your patience.