A Question for the (Web) Technically-Inclined

Started by AmberStarfire, December 07, 2017, 12:59:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmberStarfire

I was wondering if anyone could please suggest the best course of action for a site redirect/forwarding.

I currently have my old site at www.somethingorother.com (not the actual name)  :P and I want to redirect it to www.somethingorother.com/subdirectory where I have my new site I've created (and it's a subdomain).

I could forward the domain, but I have a load of files currently on the main site in other subdirectories (it's my image dumping ground for in-game pictures mostly), and it's my understanding that if I forward the domain, I may lose those files or the ability to access them. I could just download them and save them, but it's likely to break my links all over the place.

A .htaccess redirect might be possible, but I thought I'd ask here (to see if anyone who knows what they're doing could answer). :)

Thanks. I'm just trying to find the best option so that when people type in my old site url, they get the new site but I still want my old content to stay where it is if possible.

Incidentally, the old site was created with PHP Fusion and the new site's Wordpress.

AmberStarfire

I think I've found the info I'm looking for now. :)

AmberStarfire

Okay.. so I have it forwarding now, and I have the pics loading from the old site. It just looks like it bounces to the new site when it gets a 404 error. Maybe I can alter that specifically.

Vekseid

It's a little bit unclear as to what you are trying to do.

You can redirect everything so that you have no broken links, if needed.

AmberStarfire

I have it sorted out now.

I was mainly looking for a way to redirect my site from the base domain name to a subdomain, without losing my content on the base domain. If I'd used domain forwarding (through my hosting company) it would've uninstalled things, but I redirected it using the .htaccess. I also changed another of my sites by changing the domain forwarding there to regular hosting, and adding a .htaccess file there too.

I found I could still access my files stored in other directories on the base domain, but if a file was missing (came up with a 404 error) it redirected to the new site, but I figure that's alright/not that big a deal.

I also picked up another domain for a free book promotion site a couple of nights ago and I'm going to build that one, but I've been doing research on themes and the best way to go about it (without having to spend too much).

I was also having this problem where when I entered the www domain on my computer, it always came up with /nonexistent/ and said it couldn't find it. But if I hit enter a second time, it would sometimes work. It only seemed to be on my computer across all my browsers, whereas it loaded fine on other machines and on my phone. The changes I made seemed to get it working fine in my browsers again (I also whitelisted my sites in case that was interfering).