Arizona Birth Control Bill Penalizes Women For Using Contraception

Started by Samael, March 16, 2012, 09:11:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Singularity on March 22, 2012, 04:35:23 PM
This is outrageous, but only in an entertainment sense. There is no way that a law requiring forcible disclosure of health information for any purpose will stand.[/font]

Wanna bet? If the republican majority in Congress stands, and someone like Santorum gets elected? We'd roll everything back to the 90s..the 1890s. You know.. so that we could have 'proper voters' .. ie.. males only.

Singularity

Santorum won't get the nomination. His primary value is as someone for liberals to vote for in order to delay resolution to the GOP primary as long as possible.

The Supreme Court has at times proven to be incredibly stupid (we get back to FEC v. CU) but they generally consistently uphold privacy rights.

The reason this will not fly is the same reason Roe v. Wade remains in place and the Court refuses to bring it up again.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Singularity on March 22, 2012, 05:00:05 PM
Santorum won't get the nomination. His primary value is as someone for liberals to vote for in order to delay resolution to the GOP primary as long as possible.
The Supreme Court has at times proven to be incredibly stupid (we get back to FEC v. CU) but they generally consistently uphold privacy rights.
The reason this will not fly is the same reason Roe v. Wade remains in place and the Court refuses to bring it up again.

The leadership of the party.. wants someone like him.. they will OWN him.

Singularity

Quote from: Callie Del NoireThe leadership of the party.. wants someone like him.. they will OWN him.
There's a certain faction of the GOP that wants Santorum. That's why he's still around. But the GOP establishment backs Romney. Groups like the US Chamber of Commerce, the Energy Lobby, AIPAC, etc. have donated handsomely.

They'll own Romney if he wins. Romney will sell himself for the illusion of power in a heartbeat. The only other significant entity that wants Santorum as the GOP's man is Obama.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Singularity on March 22, 2012, 05:11:58 PM
There's a certain faction of the GOP that wants Santorum. That's why he's still around. But the GOP establishment backs Romney. Groups like the US Chamber of Commerce, the Energy Lobby, AIPAC, etc. have donated handsomely.

They'll own Romney if he wins. Romney will sell himself for the illusion of power in a heartbeat. The only other significant entity that wants Santorum as the GOP's man is Obama.

I disagree. There are a LOT of party leaders, not elected officals, who want him. They know he pulls in a strong block of voters.. whereas they seem to think that the moderates aren't reliable enough to support a candidate. Of course given how they are selling out to corporations (thank you Citizen's United) to consider things like giving the tax code a kick. Reform corporate taxes? Never.. better for the corporate dividends to hide overseas than have to work for incentives and tax breaks. (like encourage domestic development, infrastructure development and so on) GASP! Why should we work for our tax breask when we can simply BUY a rep who will do what we demand.

Singularity

Quote from: Callie Del NoireI disagree. There are a LOT of party leaders, not elected officals, who want him. They know he pulls in a strong block of voters.. whereas they seem to think that the moderates aren't reliable enough to support a candidate. Of course given how they are selling out to corporations (thank you Citizen's United) to consider things like giving the tax code a kick. Reform corporate taxes? Never.. better for the corporate dividends to hide overseas than have to work for incentives and tax breaks. (like encourage domestic development, infrastructure development and so on) GASP! Why should we work for our tax breask when we can simply BUY a rep who will do what we demand.
There's some merit to the point of view that many Republicans would like Santorum if they did not believe that his campaign is DOA in the general election. And it is. There is already so much ammunition that Santorum has generated this year for someone who can attack him from the left that he just doesn't stand a chance. Conservatives have power in this country but not that much power and they know it. Obama is Santorum's biggest (private) supporter for as long as the primaries go on.

Callie Del Noire

I'm a, mostly, Reagan era republican. I'm more 'right sized' government than cut, pillage and burn down to the foundations downsizer. I accept that to combat the deficit we'll have to INCREASE taxes. Reagan, and his VP, accepted it when it was needed. Some things by the very nature need to be regulated. I think the subprime mortgage snafu proves that Gingrich and Pelosi made a mistake in repealing the Glass-Steagle Act. I think that some regulations  were put in place to keep a repeat of the stuff that got us into trouble with the Great Depression.

Deregulation for deregulation sake is a mistake.

I don't think it is wise, prudent or smart to regulate social decisions as individual as birth control. In my opinion it's the very antithesis of non-intrusive and small government to do so.

Problem is, because I'm pro-personal choice over mandating a 'one size fits all' legislate it all republican I'm on the outs with my own party. I'm 'psuedo-republican' or a liberal. Face it, my party hasn't had a need of me since around 1998

Callie Del Noire

I get the feeling this will be VERY true for some congressmen and senators.

Oniya

Some of them are starting to take notice.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/03/22/idaho-house-tables-forced-ultrasound-bill/

I realize this is only setting it aside for the moment, but there's a quote in the article about how one rep noticed that the complaining constituents 'aren’t just Democrats. They’re Republicans, they’re from across the spectrum. '

Yup.  Go figure.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Serephino

Gee, Republican women are upset about this too?  What a shocker....  /sarcasm

The Irishman

I look to the Democratic Party and ask, "What are you doing?!  This is crazy!"

I look to the Republican Party and ask, "What are you doing?!  This is crazy!"

Witty quote.

Callie Del Noire

Kuroneko

Ons & Offs//Requests//Where is the Black Cat?
Current Posting Time - Once a Week or More

"One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art" ~ Oscar Wilde
"I dream of painting and then I paint my dream" ~ Vincent Van Gogh