No More Drunk Mailing!

Started by Maeven, October 07, 2008, 12:00:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maeven

Google’s Mail Goggles Prevent Drunk Emailing

QuoteGoogle released a useful new Gmail feature yesterday in its labs, which could help prevent the intoxicated from sending embarrassing late-night emails they might regret in the morning.

When activated, the program will force a user to solve a series of math problems before allowing any message to be sent.

They are not terribly difficult, but do serve as an extra line of defense in what can be a very dangerous habit.

The service is set by default to kick in only on weekend nights, but you can change the settings to apply whenever.

As for drunk dialing and texting, you’re still on your own.

Can I petition to have this feature enabled for PMs? *laughs* Shoot, maybe even story posts!
What a wicked game to play, to make me feel this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to let me dream of you.
What a wicked thing to say, you never felt this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to make me dream of you. 

The Cardinal Rule

Kalen

And DEFINATELY on the Steamboxxx *lol*

Oniya

Wouldn't work for me.  I can pass the cognitive tests when I know I'm drunk. (counting backwards by 3's, reciting the alphabet - forwards and backwards).
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

WyldRanger

Wow, what a concept...of course math majors like me can do those in our sleep so it's pretty useless for us.   ;D

Inkidu

I can't even recite the alphabet backwards sober, but I don't even drink so meh. I'll be genuinely pissed.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Caeli

Haha. I actually get smarter and more logical when I drink, so a test like that (I'm the kind that loves calculus and does it for fun) wouldn't actually work if I ever actually drank, which I don't. It would be funny, though. xD
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Revolverman

*Looks at calendar* holy, its NOT a joke.

Oniya

Dear gods, I thought it was!  Of course, implementing this would prevent certain people from sending me email at all.  *evil grin*
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Maeven

Nope, not a joke.  When I logged onto my Gmail account this morning there was a little widget on the sign in page announcing its availability. 
What a wicked game to play, to make me feel this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to let me dream of you.
What a wicked thing to say, you never felt this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to make me dream of you. 

The Cardinal Rule

Kalen

And did you install it?  *smiles innocently*

Oniya

And is the 43 seconds counting down or counting up?

Kalen

If you can't tell at that time, then you're definately too drunk.   :-*

Inkidu

Quote from: Kalen on October 08, 2008, 08:39:55 AM
If you can't tell at that time, then you're definately too drunk.   :-*
You just got to remember to say Mississippi.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Oniya

Actually, I've thought it would be amusing to recite the alphabet out of order, but still hitting all the letters.  Of course, they'd never catch me driving drunk, because I know when I'm too drunk to drive, and it's usually after one drink.

Trieste

And then there are those of us who are terrible at math and will never be able to send an email again.  :'(

Glossolalia

Quote from: Trieste on October 10, 2008, 03:55:08 PM
And then there are those of us who are terrible at math and will never be able to send an email again.  :'(

Like me. :'(

"Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance"

Know who the quote is by, without google? Drop me a PM if so. :)

My O/O's

Oniya

Start->Programs->Accessories->Calculator  ;D

(Unless they've changed that path in the newer Windows)