Kingdom of the Blind (Pathfinder System, Homebrew)

Started by NobleWolf, January 18, 2010, 11:52:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NobleWolf

Kingdom of the Blind

Hello! I'm relatively new to the site and I've wanted to run a pathfinder game for a while. I'm putting campaign notes together and gathering player input. So far I've got a homebrew setting rich with potential. It's a medieval high fantasy with an apocalyptic, grimdark touch.

Synopsis:
Dark clouds perpetually fill the sky, leaving a once prosperous continent in near ruin. Why they appeared and continue to shroud the landscape is heavily debated, but with no clear answer. The once bountiful land provides little now. Over the past century famine and disease has wiped away many cities, leaving them to rust away. Creatures who normally fled from the sun now stalk the landscape at their own leisure.
Many have placed the blame for the phenomena on those who practice the arcane arts. Some have formed cults, using the panic to influence followers. Ongoing wars over things like resources and land have only compounded the problems.

Starting level 3, using fast xp progression (4,650xp)
Point buy, high fantasy(20 points) for ability scores
3,000 starting gold
Players may use the Core Rulebook(Or PRD), Advanced Players Guide pdfs (from the Paizo site), Book of Erotic Fantasy, and Bestiary for character creation.
Other 3/3.5 materials may be used with permission (Just ask).
Characters may gain up to two traits from the
Pathfinder Character Traits Web Enhancement
Characters and creatures gain max health for their first three levels and half +1 for the rest.
You may use Pathfinder deities or make your own demi-god(s).

I'll likely be implementing a few house-rules to reflect the flavor of the game.

Right now I'm looking for 4 to 8 players, but I'll accept ideas and notes from anyone who wishes to contribute. I want players who can add to what I've started. If you're interested, post character concepts and information about the regions they came from. The game is currently open for discussion and changes. I'd like to know what you're looking for in a game and perhaps a little about yourself.

As for races, I have the following written up.

Dwarves: The least affected by the disruption. They live in sparse settlements away from the troubles of the rest of the world. Many that remain in their mountain-homes have a distrust of the people below, even as far as to forbid them from coming near. Dwarves that adventure are often tired of living like hermits or feel a need to help others.
As Dwarf. Favored Class: Cleric, Fighter, Inquisitor, or Paladin (pick one)

Elves(Gray): The keepers of ancient arcane lore. When crowds demanded the blood of those who practiced such magic, they exiled themselves upon elven-made flying islands. The forests they once inhabited quickly turned to desert. Now they float above the clouds, continuing their practice. Many gray elf adventurers go to the surface to study ruins and similar places of magical interest. Some simply could not get along in a society where magical talent is the only way to get ahead.
As Elf. Favored Class: Alchemist, Wizard, Sorcerer, or Summoner (pick one)

Elves(Wild): Reside in the only forests the sun can shine upon. They focus on divine magic and force of arms, more often from natural sources. Skirmishes with humans to keep their own resources has made them bitter to the plight of other races. Recent treaties provide peace at the cost of wood and food. Not many wild elves travel outside their homelands, but those who do often have strong personal reasons.
As Elf, except as follows; +2 Dex, -2 Int, +2 Wis (replaces elf adjustments) Favored Class: Barbarian, Druid, Oracle, or Ranger (pick one)

Gnome(Rock): Sickness and goblins have killed off most rock gnomes. Those who remain stay in tightly-knit groups in cities or abandoned ruins. Those who dwell in human cities fashion goods from whatever they can find or provide family-run services. Rock gnomes frequently adventure with larger allies, especially if goblin slaying is involved.
As Gnome, including the following; +2 racial bonus on Appraise checks involving trade goods (Livestock, Spices, Fabric, etc) and +2 racial bonus on diplomacy checks used to barter. Favored Class: Alchemist, Bard, Rogue, or Wizard (pick one)

Gnome(Forest): In the warm forests far away from the lands of other races live forest gnomes. Their fairly remote location had shielded them from the rest of the world, but recently foreigners have begun poaching and taking land. Since they lack the ability to fight off the more advanced larger folk, they are continually forced to move deeper and deeper into their forests. Forest gnomes usually adventure out of necessity, though some find the outside world to be full of curiosities and opportunity.
As Gnome, except as follows; +2 Con, +2 Wis, -2 Int (replaces gnome adjustments), Hatred applies to aquatic and shapechanger subtype, No bonus to or against Illusion spells, no Obsessive ability, gain pass without trace [SU: always active, CL=1/2 HD(min1)], gain +2 racial bonus on stealth checks (increases to +3 in wooded areas). Favored Class: Druid, Ranger, Summoner, or Witch (pick one)

Halfling: These small folk spend most of their time in human lands salvaging from scrap heaps found in dead cities. Being quick and stealthy is the only way for them to survive. Others become thieves, living in the always dark alleyways of human cities. All Halflings are adventurers in their own right, scavenging and relying on wit and wile
As Halfling, including the following; +2 racial bonus on saves vs. disease (stacks with other racial bonuses) and the following spell-like abilities 1/day (Must have Cha 10+, CL=Level); Detect Magic, Light, and Read Magic(if literate). Favored Class: Cavalier, Ranger, Rogue, or Bard (Pick one)

Human: Before their world was plunged into darkness they had experienced a golden age of technology. Muskets had been refined and steam powered engines had emerged to power wondrous machinery. It took only a decade or so for centuries of progress to crumble. From the rubble and confusion new orders were established. City-states with starving populations scoured the countryside for sustenance, often coming into conflict with neighbors. Humans would spread out into other lands, never getting enough to prosper as they once did. Human adventurers come from many backgrounds and with varied goals.
(More on specific nations will be added later)
As Human, except as follows: Humans treat muskets and pistols as martial weapons. Favored Class: Any one

Orcs: For quite a time the Orcs saw the clouds as an opportunity to siege. After many gruesome years of pillaging they fell victim to such attacks themselves from larger goblin raiders. Many of the Orc tribes formed an unlikely alliance various settlements to stand against a greater threat. After many years some human war bands began incorporating orc shock troopers into their forces. Orcs typically adventure for the same reasons, excitement, blood lust, and greed. A few manage to rise above their stereotype.
As Orc. Favored Class: Cavalier, Barbarian, Inquisitor, or Ranger (pick one)

Half-Elves: As humans and elves often quarrel, such mixture of blood is very rare, but not unheard of. They are usually looked down upon by humans and elves who perceive them as a product of treason. Most half-elves hide their ancestry, trying to better fit in with the communities they travel through. Such disguises are eventually discovered, forcing them to move on. Many half-elves adventure to prove themselves, few would harass someone known for their potent magic or skill with a blade.
As Half-Elf. Favored Class: Any one

Half-Orcs: As Orcs integrate more and more into human societies, their half-bred spawn become almost commonplace. While Orcs see them as brothers and sisters, humans in noble circles often view them as abominations. Half-Orcs often find themselves torn between their heritage, though most would put them with Orcs instead of human. Half-Orcs adventure for glory and gain or strive to prove themselves much like half-elves.
As Half-Orc. Favored Class: Any one

Other races exist as well. For example, Goblins and their stronger kin terrorize many encampments. If you'd like to play a monstrous or unusual race, feel free to ask.

updates in blue

Elven Sex Goddess

I am interested in this campaign.  I have a half-elf sorcerer idea coming to mind.   Will have her done up by tomorrow evening.   

Chloe Milev

Hmm, I can't resist some pathfinder, and I think I'm open for another game.  I'll be thinking up a character.

You said core rulebook.  So are you opposed to the recently released classes of Cavalier, Oracle, Witch, and Summoner?  I was thinking of a Gray Elf reduced to barbarism (Barbarian-Oracle), but she could be Sorcerer instead.

Eh, nevermind.  Moment of Clarity would let a Barbarian cast once a round, but Pathfinder is actually better with one class, whereas I always multiclass in 3.5.
Ons and Offs
Discord chloe milev
FFXIV Sargatanas

NobleWolf

I might allow other sources for character creation. I was just hoping to keep it simple for now. You should be able to build nearly any concept from just core though.

The Great Triangle

I'd be interested in playing a Paladin/Fighter who specializes in the musket, basically a musketeer sort of character, possibly with eventual levels in duelist.  (Maybe some guy who lost his wife and son while off at war, and took holy vows to get them back.)

How active are the gods in this setting, and what are the prominent pantheons or religions?  How active and cthonic are the evil gods?
Meow!  I'm a kitty; made of fire.

Ons and Offs

NobleWolf

As of right now I'm looking at a possibility of using the standard pathfinder gods with a large number of demi-gods as well. Evil aligned deities are much stronger now than they were before. Players can feel free to write up their own demi-god(s) or use the ones in the core book. Clerics, Paladins, etc can revere a pantheon of gods rather than fully devote themselves to just one.

The Great Triangle

That seems like a reasonable compromise.  I don't really want to learn about the pathfinder gods, so a list of pantheons would be rather handy.  :-)    (Of course, if religion isn't a setting priority, using the grehawk gods from any given edition of D&D, ripping off a real world pantheon, or simply generically making "the higher powers" and "the church of good" entities in your setting can also save you this step.  Whichever gives you enough information to go on.)

I also do reccomend a trip to the paizo website to pick up the pdfs of the 6 new classes while they're in playtest state and therefore free.  The witch, alchemist, and perhaps Inquisitor in particular seem to fit the general feel of your proposed setting quite well.  (though it's certainly cool if you want to disallow those because they're in playest)

Ons and Offs

NobleWolf

Alright, we'll include the playtest classes as well. I'll update the information.

Elven Sex Goddess

I am working on my character,  might not have her ready until tomorrow.  Just giving a heads up.  A half elven sorceress.

NobleWolf

Quote from: Elven Sex Goddess on January 19, 2010, 06:07:25 PM
I am working on my character,  might not have her ready until tomorrow.  Just giving a heads up.  A half elven sorceress.
That's fine.

Feel free to take your time building characters and regions.

Chloe Milev

If we get Craft Wondrous Item, do we still buy our items at full price for character creation?
Ons and Offs
Discord chloe milev
FFXIV Sargatanas

NobleWolf

Items you craft yourself are at half-cost if magical or one-third if mundane. For the purpose of crafting before the game starts, assume you roll a 10 on the craft checks. Refer to the rules for item creation (link)

The Great Triangle

Here's my proposed character:

Name: Sir Lionel Arkelsis

Appearance: Lionel is a blonde man of about 6 feet in height, dusky in complexion, and a little over 30 years old.  His body is covered in scars, and his hands and feet seem more callous then flesh.  He wears simple peasant clothes, along with a prominently displayed holy symbol.  His craggy face and dark eyes betray a life of pain and strife, while his wiry body suggests a life of too many nights spent fasting.  The ex-knight wears a bandolier of ammunition across his chest, with a musket holstered at his back and a pistol strapped to his thigh, mated with a basket handled rapier at his hip.  He is fond of wearing a wide brimmed hat when traveling, usually riding astride his faithful brown horse Surefoot when he isn't indoors.

Backround: Lionel was born into a wealthy family, and showed in his youth a remarkable prowess for combat.  The local lord smiled upon him, and doted upon him so that he would become a knight of the realm.  In time, Lionel wooed a fair young lady and became a bringer of justice, bringing peace throughout the land.  As shadows spread across the world, Sir Arkelsis embarked on a holy crusade to protect his home, becoming a murderer a thousand times over, and gradually falling to the same evil he fought against.  When Lionel returned to his homeland, he found that his zeal had cost him his family; his wife murdered, his son abducted to be taught the black arts.   Attempting to find justice, Lionel discovered only that he was just as destructive as the forces that rent his family from him.  In despair, Lionel attempted suicide, but was saved by a traveling band of monks.  Going into a life of seclusion, Lionel gave up all of his worldly posessions, and spent several years atoning for his sins, cleansing the taint of battle from his soul.  After much reflection, Lionel concluded that the only way to atone for his evil ways would be to take up knightly ways once again, this time as a consecrated paladin of the gods, rather than as a holy thug.  As part of his pennance, Lionel vowed to never again fight with armor, relying instead on his wits and divine mandate to survive in battle.

Lawful Good Human Cavelier/1, Paladin/1, Monk/1  (Favored Class: Paladin)

HP: 23 (assuming max hp at 1st level and half max at each additional level)
AC: 17 (+3 dexterity, +1 dodge, +2 wisdom, +1 armor)
Speed: 30 feet

Base Attack: +2

Attack:  Rapier +6 melee (1d6-1), Pistol +5 ranged (1d10), Musket +6 ranged (1d12), Unarmed Strike +5 or +3/+3 melee (1d6-1)

Skills: Acrobatics +4, Bluff +4, Climb +1, Diplomacy +6, Handle Animal +5, Intimidate +5,  Knowledge (History) +2, Knowledge (Religion) +10, Profession (Soldier) +6, Survival +4, Ride +5, Sense Motive +6, Stealth +5, Swim +1

Feats: Point Blank Shot, Weapon Finesse, Dodge, Quick Draw, Improved Unarmed Strike, Stunning Fist (DC 13)

Traits: Courageous, Indomitable Faith

Class Features: Mount, Challenge +1d6/+1 AC, Oath of Vengeance (Demons),  Order of the Lion, AC Bonus, Flurry of Blows, Unarmed Strike, Aura of Good, Detect Evil, Smite Evil (+2 attack, +1 damage)

Saving Throws:  fort +7, Ref +5, Will +7 (+9 vs. fear)

Abilities: Str: 8  Dex: 17  Con: 12  Int: 13  Wis: 14 Cha: 14

Equipment: Holy Symbol of Armor +1 (1,000), Masterwork Rapier (300), Pistol (250?), Masterwork Musket (900?),  Holy Cold Iron Bullet (360), 10 regular bullets (3?), Full Powder Horn (32 shots of gunpowder) (35?), Scroll of Protection From Evil (25), Scroll of Bless Weapon (25), Scroll of Lesser Restoration (25), Dagger (2), Mirror (10), 2 Sunrods (4), 50 feet of rope (1), Holy Text (Masterwork Knowledge: Religion tool) (50), Flask of Acid (10)
  3000 gp total

Sir Lionel's Mount:

"Surefoot"

HP: 12
AC: 15  (+1 dexterity, +4 natural)
Speed 50 ft

Base Attack: +1

Attack: Bite +4 melee (1d4+3), 2 hooves -1 melee (1d6+1);

Skills: Jump +4, Acrobatics +5, Perception +1

Feat: Skill Focus (Acrobatics)

Saving Throws:  Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +1

Abilitues:  Str 16, Dex 13, Con 15, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 6

Special Qualities low-light vision, scent.

Ons and Offs

Chloe Milev

Okay, here's my Gray Elf, dragon bloodline Sorceress, Embry.

Heh, before I saw Lionel, I picked "History of Heresy" for one of her traits, so... yeah.  That'll be fun.  Basically she was raised by dragons and taught they were the gods of this world, and the humanoid deities were superstition and magic trickery, heh.

And I'll probably be different than the other sorceress.  Being draconic, she'll be physically buffing herself to kill up close and personal.
Ons and Offs
Discord chloe milev
FFXIV Sargatanas

Elven Sex Goddess

Kachina Dreamweaver  Character Sheet

Background:   Born from a frowned upon union between a man and elven maiden.  Kachina has always weathered the extreme spectrum of reactions.   Looked upon with awe, and yet with fear for her being of two worlds.   While also she would enamor pity for such from one half of her heritage.     

Raised amongst her mothers people.    Her vision of the world is seen through their eyes.   The flighty nature that is exhibited.   Is even more pronounce with her tie to her bloodline.  For in her past on the side of her father, he who is just a man.   Has the ancestral heritage of an efreeti in the family past.  It is what sparks her chaotic nature.   As well as ties her bloodline of the element of fire with her.

Wanderlust to see the world.  Would take her from the lands of her mother.   Two traits honed by her childhood would serve her well.   One with the myriad of reactions that came her way.  It would cause her to react slightly quicker to responses with her initiative.   The other, her beauty gave rise to a very adapt charming personality.   That Kachina uses quite well.   

Kachina has a couple of magical items.  One a minor item, a light source called a everburning torch.  She picked up on her travels when she first left her home.   The other was given by her maternal grand father.   A ring that would give her sustenance. 

No deity is prayed upon in favor.    Though Kachina is far from atheist.    No instead she will often pray to the deity at hand for a particular domain of influence that that deity lords over.    For example if she lusts after someone,  she might token pray to Calistria.  Or perhaps right before battle she might toss a fervent prayer towards  Gorum. 

Passion rules this half elven beauty.   Bound by the tenant of no inhibitions of moral codes.  Like the leaf fluttering on the wind.  The flames dancing across the land.   Kachina moves as the winds of fate stir her course through life.  What fate awaits what adventures to be had.   Are stories to unfold and told in the future.   

Well here is my character submission. 

The Great Triangle

Fortunately, Lionel is Lawful Good, rather than Lawful Neutral, so as long as this isn't one of those settings where the gods verifiably torture people who don't beleive in them for all eternity, he's obligated to respect Embry's religious viewpoint.  (although since Embry isn't obligated to respect his, that could create some interesting friction)

Interesting that the party has stocked up on so much Cold Iron; hopefully we'll run into some demons or fae to make it worthwhile.   

Ons and Offs

Chloe Milev

We'll see if she can hold her tongue.

And yeah, cold iron's relatively cheap before you try to magic it up, and damage isn't lessened like silver, so why not?
Ons and Offs
Discord chloe milev
FFXIV Sargatanas

Elven Sex Goddess

Fixed link to character sheet.  Uggh it was a blond moment. 

The Great Triangle

Looks like we've got a good deal of attack power but not much healing.  Of course, we can always stock up on potions (and in Lionel's case, scrolls) of healing and count on the rather impressive attack power of our party to see things through.   The fact that Kachina is an enchanter also helps considerably, since we can evade combat with enemies that have low will saves entirely.  (since he IS a Paladin, Lionel will be rather reluctant to kill things that don't detect as evil, though he'll do so in self defense.  Most of the time though, he'll switch to nonlethal unarmed strikes and try to request that the rest of the party bring them in alive as well, though a few accidental casualties are acceptable)

Ons and Offs

Lyell

I've been itching to get into a game and would be more than willing to cleric it up. Haven't really had the opportunity to play one before, but have been many a times interested.

I love enthralling plots, engaging stories and detail. Grimdark/post-apocalyptic settings used to be a nono for me but the setting reminds me so much of another story that I just gotta come see.
When you absolutely, positively have to kill it with fire...accept no substitutes.

Chloe Milev

Well, if you do a lot of nonlethal, you'll have to use your fists/knees/head, or a truncheon might be good (Book of Exalted Deeds, one-handed martial, 2 gp, 1d8 nonlethal, x2, 12 lbs, bludgeoning).

I guess Embry could be convinced that her enemies aren't worth glorious death in the name of the dragon kingdom, that they should live to later serve...
Ons and Offs
Discord chloe milev
FFXIV Sargatanas

The Great Triangle

given my strength of 8, I figure I'm best off cranking up my flurry of blows and possibly a smite evil and/or knight's challenge to dispose of tough enemies.  I haven't run the numbers, but I'm pretty sure two chances at 1d6-1 with a -2 attack penalty are better than 1d8-1. 

I will have to remember that particular excuse though! 

Ons and Offs

NobleWolf

Well, it looks like we've got four players so far and three finished characters. I'm still writing campaign stuff and waiting for anymore interest.
I have a few questions while I type up the setting. They're just to make sure you'll enjoy the game.
What are you looking for in a game? How experienced are you with this system? What houserules, if any, would you add (or remove)?

Chloe Milev

I'm very experienced with 3.5.  I've played a little Pathfinder and it seems straightforward, just getting rid of annoying sub-rules.

Houserules.  Hmm, well, stuff from the Book of Erotic Fantasy and Nymphology/Blue Magic are fun.  So if you had any sex rules, they aren't necessary, but fun.
Ons and Offs
Discord chloe milev
FFXIV Sargatanas

Elven Sex Goddess

Likewise is quite experienced with 3.5 system,  and has played a little Pathfinder. 

Just looking forward to it getting started.   As for anything extra, house rules or what Chloe Milev suggested is fine.  Through likewise not necessary needed, but can be fun.