News:

Main Menu

Mad Max: Fury Road

Started by Beorning, October 21, 2015, 02:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beorning

I watched the latest Mad Max movie yesterday...

Wow. This movie was crazy :) Not entirely my kind of thing (I admit I grew a bit bored after some time), but it was definitely very imaginative. And the cinematography was beautiful.

Have you guys seen it? What's your opinion?

RedPhoenix

I loved it.

There's probably a better way to say this, but I really appreciate when a director has the guts to not attempt to justify, explain, or give deeper meaning to their story. This was just a good story in an awesome setting come to life in an amazingly vibrant picture. I was glued to it.

Some of the backstory that doesn't come out in the movie is pretty savage, for example Coma the Doof Warrior. He's a blind mutant who made a mask out of his mother's face after they were attacked when he was a kid and one of the attackers dropped his mother's severed head in his lap. Immortan Joe found him wandering around as a blind kid clutching his mom's severed head. All he knew how to do was rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsirxA_cso4

George Miller convinced the guy who designed the Doof Wagon to put the trumpets on it by telling him to imagine they came from a marching band's bus that got run over.
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs
I move the stars for no one.

CaptainNexus616

The guy who plays Immortan Joe was also the villain Toecutter from the very original Mad Max film too! There have been fan theories of them being the same but Miller confirmed them to be separate characters.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Deamonbane

The visuals, the action, the way that it just keeps on going...

I'm a total fan-boy. Sometimes less is more. The next one is probably gonna revolve more around Max and his back story, but we already know all about that. That's what the whole first movie is about. No need to rehash what has already been hashed. Jumping right in and taking the viewers on a ride is what this movie is all about and... yeah, it's totally my thing. I was giddy waiting for this movie to come out and I was definitely not disappointed when I left the theater.
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Stan'

The second film is one of my favourite films of all time, but I honestly felt so disappointed by this new one.  The worse thing is I haven't heard any one else share my opinion so at times it feels like I've watched a completely different film from the rest.

Just not enough Max.  Felt like he was the passenger in his own film.

CaptainNexus616

Have to agree with Stan here. While Max is a drifter...he felt like a side character to Furiosa.
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Beorning

Yeah, Max felt a bit sidelined in this movie - that bothered me a little, too. On the other hand, I think I've read that the creator is treating Max a bit like folk / legendary hero and the various movies tell of various legends Max was involved in. And, in some legends, the hero is more like an enabler for someone else's story...

I think it's that way in fantasy ficiton. I may be wrong, but I'd risk saying that not every story of the Witcher is, well, a story *about* the Witcher...

Jag

I enjoyed it.

What I enjoyed more was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTD1fXxjxBs

"A 'Mad Max: Fury Road' trailer reflecting what George Miller claims is his preferred version of his masterful action extravaganza. This alternate version of the film being entirely in black and white, and containing nothing within the soundscape but Tom Holkenborg's (aka Junkie XL's) score. "

Rumor is that this version of the film will be available on the Blu Ray. I'm such a sucker for B&W with no dialogue.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

CaptainNexus616

Quote from: Beorning on October 24, 2015, 03:14:53 PM
Yeah, Max felt a bit sidelined in this movie - that bothered me a little, too. On the other hand, I think I've read that the creator is treating Max a bit like folk / legendary hero and the various movies tell of various legends Max was involved in. And, in some legends, the hero is more like an enabler for someone else's story...

I think it's that way in fantasy ficiton. I may be wrong, but I'd risk saying that not every story of the Witcher is, well, a story *about* the Witcher...

Yeah that definitely makes sense. I did notice in the Road Warrior the story was about the guys at the refinery escaping the crazed bondage wearers of Lord Humongous. Max played a big role in that movie but he was only like you said the enabler for events to occur. I guess my issue was Max had to share the spotlight. However that said I really did think Furiosa was one awesome character  ;D

My only legit complaint was Max losing his car yet again. I personally would have loved it at the end when everyone is chasing them back to the capital that somewhere during that skirmish. Max would have fallen off the War Rig and landed on top of the Razor Cola (His rebuilt and modified Interceptor) reclaimed his car and started tearing everyone else up with it.

RedPhoenix

I thought Max not being the central focus was brilliant. The whole story had a whole "This is what happens on a typical Wednesday in the far future apocalypse" feel to it. Having Max victimized by what he's gone through with his PTSD flashbacks was also a really brave decision I thought. Ultimately it all went to who Max has become as a character, he's not a cop anymore, he's not like a Stallone character quipping as they shotgun blast everyone away and get the girl at the end, no, dude's just trying to survive. It makes him much more interesting as a character to me. Sure he has his moments where the hero he wants to be shines through but he's damaged. He's not that different than Nux, life is cheap, his is just stronger, so he survives and doesn't so much leave a trail of mayhem in his wake as live through the mayhem that the world constantly goes through where others fall. He played a pivotal role in this story but it isn't his story, he's just passing through, because that's what he does these days. I thought it was wonderfully imagined and a logical and meaningful progression of the previous films.

And that silent cut looks incredible!!!

Stan'

I've read the theories that none of the Mad Max films actually follow the same character, so that Max in the second one is a different person from the third and fourth films.  There's also a crazy theory that Tom Hardy's Max is actually the kid from the Road Warrior.

Still.  I really wasn't blown away from what I saw.  Just didn't feel like a Mad Max film.  A world running out of petrol is one thing -- a world running out of water, and populated by freaks and two-headed reptiles is something completely different.  You could very easily take Max out of the equation and release it as a completely unrelated film.

RedPhoenix

Deamonbane

Quote from: Stan' on October 24, 2015, 07:05:24 PM
I've read the theories that none of the Mad Max films actually follow the same character, so that Max in the second one is a different person from the third and fourth films.  There's also a crazy theory that Tom Hardy's Max is actually the kid from the Road Warrior.

Still.  I really wasn't blown away from what I saw.  Just didn't feel like a Mad Max film.  A world running out of petrol is one thing -- a world running out of water, and populated by freaks and two-headed reptiles is something completely different.  You could very easily take Max out of the equation and release it as a completely unrelated film.
I believe that George Miller shot down the theory of Hardy's Max being the Feral Boy from Road Warrior.

And the freaks and reptiles has less to do with the petrol running out and more to do with the Water Wars, I think.

Edit: Then again... there are a lot of small things that indicate that he might be. The music box that Mel's Max gives to the Feral Kid is in Max's bag. Small hint in when the War Boys call him a Feral. Could explain why he doesn't want to give Furiosa his name at first, and then he gives her the name of his Childhood hero. Also explains why he grunts so much.
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Thesunmaid

It was...meh for me? I wanted things explained more? Like how the hell did these people live on water every 6 months. How did this weird albino cult come into being? Are they all some weird clones? Whats with the tumors that guy named? Why the hell is there a guy playing a flaming guitar standing on a car? It was all..very disjointed to me. I like things explained not this weird Michael Bay wet dream of extreme...everything.

Plot? who needs plot? We have explosions...all the men in this world ejaculate flaming bullets shaped like..sharks!yeah! and the babies born here are ejected from thier mothers into cars where they learn to drive. Cars! with flaming guitar bands! yeah!

Just not my thing.
Some mornings its just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
Current Status for posts: working on them Current Status for RP:Tentatively looking

Niferbelle

I had the opposite reaction of many in this thread. I liked the movie very much primarily because I felt it really held true to the spirit of the original films. For me it was refreshing to see a reboot that wasn't flat and far removed from the original. I also felt it was 'right' that the movie didn't focus entirely on Max. Aside from the first film which is kind of his origin story, the other films didn't either. Max is for me a legendary figure around which many stories and myths have been created so I was suggested earlier in the thread, the stories are always filtered through the perspective of the people he helped/saved and Max always remained a bit of an enigma.

Beorning

Quote from: Thesunmaid on October 31, 2015, 09:03:34 AM
It was...meh for me? I wanted things explained more? Like how the hell did these people live on water every 6 months. How did this weird albino cult come into being? Are they all some weird clones? Whats with the tumors that guy named? Why the hell is there a guy playing a flaming guitar standing on a car?

Hm. I admit that I did wonder about the extreme scarcity of water, but the rest of the things you mentioned is pretty explainable:

1. These guys in the cult are not albinos, they simply paint themselves to look like skeletons.

2. The tumors were just that: tumors. That guy (Nux) was apparently suffering from some sort of cancer.

3. The flaming guitar guy was a crazy idea, but I personally thought that it was also an *awesome* idea :) Also, musicians accompanying armies aren't as weird concept as you might think - historical armies had drummers, for once. I really can imagine mad berserkers of the future rolling into battle to the sound of an electric guitar playing...

Zakharra

I saw it on DVD not to long ago and it is awesome. I think it does capture the spirit of Mad Max. Max doesn't have to be a central part of the story, so that felt right to me and it allowed other characters to shine. Like Furiosa, Immortan Joe and Nux.

I think the Water Wars were over fresh water, not just any/all water. The oceans would still be there, but if there was a nuclear war (even limited) and global warming, then there could be longer lasting and hotter droughts that make fresh water much scarcer. And he (or she) who controls that precious resource, controls everything else. Like the Bullet Farm and Gas Town.

Harper Agent

I really liked it. It's the kind of action movie that hardly gets made any more these days.

Deamonbane

Quote from: Beorning on October 31, 2015, 05:21:44 PM
3. The flaming guitar guy was a crazy idea, but I personally thought that it was also an *awesome* idea :) Also, musicians accompanying armies aren't as weird concept as you might think - historical armies had drummers, for once. I really can imagine mad berserkers of the future rolling into battle to the sound of an electric guitar playing...
I found the culture of these guys very interesting, like a corruption of the Viking culture, or what they thought was the Viking culture. They treat their cars like the vikings treated their longships, treated dying in the same way. Valhalla is mentioned also.

RedPhoenix

Quote from: Niferbelle on October 31, 2015, 02:08:32 PM
I liked the movie very much primarily because I felt it really held true to the spirit of the original films. For me it was refreshing to see a reboot that wasn't flat and far removed from the original. I also felt it was 'right' that the movie didn't focus entirely on Max. Aside from the first film which is kind of his origin story, the other films didn't either. Max is for me a legendary figure around which many stories and myths have been created so I was suggested earlier in the thread, the stories are always filtered through the perspective of the people he helped/saved and Max always remained a bit of an enigma.

Yup, pretty much all of this. 

Quote from: Deamonbane on November 01, 2015, 01:59:55 PM
I found the culture of these guys very interesting, like a corruption of the Viking culture, or what they thought was the Viking culture. They treat their cars like the vikings treated their longships, treated dying in the same way. Valhalla is mentioned also.

There was a lot of thought that went into the culture of the War Boys and Immortan Joe's little outpost. There were procedures and rituals and a very vibrant culture, same with Furiosa's people too. All the why of it just wasn't spoon-fed to the audience, and I found that pretty impressive and a reflecting of the director's confidence in his vision. It also reflected the frantic nature of the movie. Max doesn't have time to sit around and ask why. What different does it make to him why the War Boys are so pale or why they spray chrome on their mouths as a blessing? Nobody sat around explaining why Saruman's orcs put the white hand on their armor either other than "that's Saruman's thing."

Zakharra

Quote from: Deamonbane on November 01, 2015, 01:59:55 PM

I will awaken and ride the highways of Valhalla, shiny and chrome. Witness me!

fbhkbki

I absolutely loved the movie too! Only thing that I couldn't understand was why they'd killed Rosie Huntington-Whiteley off so early in the film (and made her preggers! :( )