Another underage character question?

Started by Twisted Crow, October 20, 2019, 09:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twisted Crow

As I understand it from my previous question about this: A character that is younger than 18 can be played in a story as long as they are somehow removed from the equation when adult situations start happening.

So, they can be in a room when their parents are having breakfast one morning. Yet, they can't be present at all when their parents are either getting it on or being horrifically murdered or something. Do I have that right?

Follow-up question, for a fantasy setting.

I am under the impression that teenaged characters cannot be in violent situations due to this rule. Does that include sparring or training, where the outcome is not meant to be lethal? For a game I'm planning, I intend to give my teenaged characters plot armor but with some restrictions to certain interactions that only adults can do. My question is: Would this be acceptible within the rules?

The rule on age as I have it written in my draft:

QuoteAge: Your character's age. Acceptible limits for this are 15-50. Younger characters start with less abilities and experience, but have more long-term potential than older starting characters. Older characters can start with resources and status that younger characters typically have to work at to achieve.

Note that character interactions are, of course, limited to Elliquiy's rules concerning characters younger than 18 [Dallas: link this part to that rule]. The moment that 18+ things start happening (like sex and violence), all characters that are below this age must be out of the equation somehow. Adolescent characters can interact with the world around them with reasonable safety of plot armor. Still, they cannot yet do adult things, however. They could train and spar with teachers but in serious battles, they must flee. They cannot be involved in sexual situations in any way. Although I expect this to be rare, these characters can still die prematurely through sickness (like Cao Chong, for example) if players go that route.

Blythe

Quote from: Dallas on October 20, 2019, 09:53:00 PM
As I understand it from my previous question about this: A character that is younger than 18 can be played in a story as long as they are somehow removed from the equation when adult situations start happening.

So, they can be in a room when their parents are having breakfast one morning. Yet, they can't be present at all when their parents are either getting it on or being horrifically murdered or something. Do I have that right?

Characters aged 16 and 17 may be played in written adult content. You simply cannot use any underage images to represent them--image rules are a bit more stringent than our rules about written contents for various reasons, so no images under 18.

Quote from: Dallas on October 20, 2019, 09:53:00 PM
Follow-up question, for a fantasy setting.

I am under the impression that teenaged characters cannot be in violent situations due to this rule. Does that include sparring or training, where the outcome is not meant to be lethal? For a game I'm planning, I intend to give my teenaged characters plot armor but with some restrictions to certain interactions that only adults can do. My question is: Would this be acceptible within the rules?

The rule on age as I have it written in my draft:

Teens can be in violent situations--the rule is primarily to ensure that they are not in any way sexual.

Twisted Crow

Ah, I see. Well, that gives me stuff to think about on the violence end. On one hand, I don't feel comfortable with too much child-killing in stories. On the other hand, it's a bit of Skyrim-like annoyance when youngins are just immune to situations where they wouldn't realistically survive. So maybe I'll draw that line for children NPCs and let Teenage PC's be somewhat mortal.

This is very helpful, by the way. :D

Twisted Crow

I'll also tweak my age limit to 16-50, seeing as that was specifically mentioned.